ADVERTISEMENT

Its crazy how the Big 12 is all Kansas all the time

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
They have won 14 straight reg season championships.

The Sprint Center is sold out with Kansas fans.

Outside the arena is filled with Kansas fans.

Downtown KC must be loving this; bars and hotels packed with Kansas fans.

and its the regular season champ which is recognized as the official champion
Not in terms of the automatic NCAA berth; that goes to the tournament winner. But any real fan knows the conference champion is the team that wins the regular season title.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure ISU also is second to Kansas in that category....with 2 titles. Which is yet another indicator of how dominant the Jayhawks have been.

I work 1/2 block south of the Sprint Center. KU fans are insufferable douchebags, not including my wife (pic in another thread) of course.

I find it interesting that when you look at Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina and Kansas...schools whose sports programs' history is tied to basketball that really have never had any dominating presence in football ever.

They've had a few small windows where they were good in football - but really, almost never great at it. It's like their athletic departments historically relegated football to second hand citizenship - and that'll never change.

"We want you to be as good at football as possible, as long as it doesn't ever interfere with basketball in any fashion."

I find it interesting that when you look at Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina and Kansas...schools whose sports programs' history is tied to basketball that really have never had any dominating presence in football ever.

They've had a few small windows where they were good in football - but really, almost never great at it. It's like their athletic departments historically relegated football to second hand citizenship - and that'll never change.

"We want you to be as good at football as possible, as long as it doesn't ever interfere with basketball in any fashion."
True. And they’re states that are somewhat similar to Iowa. And the schools have conceded that they’ll only be good in one sport.

As an Iowa fan would you rather Iowa concentrate all its resources into one sport while the offer suffers? Or would you rather have two average teams? Interesting dilemma.

I live in KC and hate Kansas and their fans. They are obvious cheaters. You invent the game here.....how can you not have inherent advantages?

Reactions: jasonrann
I live in KC and hate Kansas and their fans. They are obvious cheaters. You invent the game here.....how can you not have inherent advantages?
I don't see Self as a cheater. I think they skirt the edge of the rules a little like most big schools but nothing out of the ordinary for schools who are always in the mix for the top players. Self is a hell of a coach. Won at OR, Tulsa, Illinois, and now obviously KU. Yes I still believe that KU is a big fish swimming in a small pond most years in the big 12, but you still have to get the job done, and they certainly have done that. Every year there are rumors of the NBA coming hard after Self, so maybe its just a matter of time. A game at the PHOG, is one of those special experiences, like a ballgame at Wrigley.

I will agree wholeheartedly on the fact that KU bb fans are similar to Nebraska football fans in their level of douchebaggyness. Used to live in Missouri and the level of drivel that constantly came out of those assholes was ALMOST enough for me to root for them to lose every game, even against ISU.

I will agree wholeheartedly on the fact that KU bb fans are similar to Nebraska football fans in their level of douchebaggyness. Used to live in Missouri and the level of drivel that constantly came out of those assholes was ALMOST enough for me to root for them to lose every game, even against ISU.
what i don't get is the people who live in Missouri, who have NO TIE to KU, but are passionate KU fans; uhh, shouldn't you be a fan of Missouri????

Kansas' domination is due in large part to the lack of competition from the rest of the conference. We see this every March when the B12 teams all crash and burn in the first two rounds. I expect this year will be no different and Kansas will probably be out before the elite eight as well.

what i don't get is the people who live in Missouri, who have NO TIE to KU, but are passionate KU fans; uhh, shouldn't you be a fan of Missouri????
You have to remember that at least for the KC area, its much more tied to Kansas then Missouri. Much of the KC "Metro", is on the Kansas side, and of course they have a lot of fans who are simply front runners. There is a pretty good mix in KC of Mizzou, KU, and KSU fans, as well as a pretty good sprinkling of WSU, and Iowa or Iowa State fans as well. There are a lot of alumni from all these schools that settle in this area, so its pretty spread out from a loyalty perspective.

There is one MAJOR difference in the two fan bases. The KU fans are arrogant about their team because of their historical and current place in the college basketball landscape, Nebraska, ah not so much........:D

I don't see Self as a cheater. I think they skirt the edge of the rules a little like most big schools but nothing out of the ordinary for schools who are always in the mix for the top players. Self is a hell of a coach. Won at OR, Tulsa, Illinois, and now obviously KU. Yes I still believe that KU is a big fish swimming in a small pond most years in the big 12, but you still have to get the job done, and they certainly have done that. Every year there are rumors of the NBA coming hard after Self, so maybe its just a matter of time. A game at the PHOG, is one of those special experiences, like a ballgame at Wrigley.
Brown cheated. Williams cheated. Both got caught and penalized. Nobody cares.

Lone Clone - you are incorrect regarding the Regular Season Winner always being recognized as Conf Champion. Perhaps it's that way in some conferences such as the BIG, who for most of their history had no tournament. But the ACC in particular has ALWAYS recognized the Tournament winner as it's official conference champion. But the ACC has also always had it's basketball tournament. It is the original Conference Tournament. which dates back to 1954 when the conference first started. Basketball Tournaments didn't start in other conferences until much later.

Lone Clone - you are incorrect regarding the Regular Season Winner always being recognized as Conf Champion. Perhaps it's that way in some conferences such as the BIG, who for most of their history had no tournament. But the ACC in particular has ALWAYS recognized the Tournament winner as it's official conference champion. But the ACC has also always had it's basketball tournament. It is the original Conference Tournament. which dates back to 1954 when the conference first started. Basketball Tournaments didn't start in other conferences until much later.
No, I am not incorrect. The automatic berth for the Big XII goes to the winner of the conference tournament. I think the same is true for every conference.

Perhaps you misunderstood me. What I intended to relate was that knowledgeable fans consider the winner of the regular season in the Big XII to be the true conference champion. In other words, ISU was the Big XII champion in 2001, even though it was upset in the first round of the conference tournament. Conversely, ISU has not been a conference champion for the past five years, even though it won the tournament three times in that period.

Granted, some fans call the tournament winner conference champion -- that happened on this board when Iowa won the BiG tourney -- but they are in a definite minority. Look at the pennants on the arena ceiling, and you won't find any for tournament champs.

I agree about your comments regarding the ACC....in fact, that was one of the factors cited when the NCAA originallly decided to invite more than one team from a conference, sometime in the '70s. The best team in the ACC didn't always win the tournament and thus got shut out of the NCAA tournament.

Actually, your last statement is incorrect. Downtown KC loves Iowa State fans, because they actually stay in the hhotels. Kansas fans are usually local enough that they don't. Cyclones have dominated the party aspect of the tournament for decades.

Reactions: NI hawk
Basketball was not invented in Kansas.
You're correct. I was joking about the fact that Naismith was KU's first coach and that gives them an inherent advantage as the inventor of the game was their coach.

You're correct. I was joking about the fact that Naismith was KU's first coach and that gives them an inherent advantage as the inventor of the game was their coach.

I believe Naismith is the only Kansas hoops coach to have a losing record for his time at Kansas. They shoulda fired him!!

No one who understands basketball considers the tournament champ as the conference champ. That's just silly.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Brown cheated. Williams cheated. Both got caught and penalized. Nobody cares.

Pretty much this. While Iowa is in its "do it right" ivory tower, in the real world programs do what is necessary to field a good program. But I'll get too far off topic here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT