ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Campbell disappointed with boos directed at Iowa offense: ‘They’re more than football players’

None of that is free. They pay with their time, effort, bodies and brains. Not sure if you played college athletics but balancing the demands of being a student with practice, weight lifting and everything else is quite draining.

As far as NiL, college football has turned into big business and they use players likeness to profit. Don’t you think the people actually doing the work should get a cut?
I have never been a fan of booing players. However, saying they are exempt from criticism (even booing) because they don’t all earn millions and instead average about 110k per year instead doesn’t resonate with me. The reason being is that most people coddling athletes these days will turn around chew out their pizza delivery driver or server at a restaurant who is probably also a student for poor performance and not think twice about it.
Hypocrisy is rife in our society these days and it’s difficult to stay centered.

So, while I personally wouldn’t boo, I understand why others feel like it’s ok especially since players are now paid and many players now see athletics as a job, not an extracurricular activity as part of an education.

Unfortunately short term there will be a small disparity between the more “professionally paid” athletes and the more “academically motivated” athletes and in the interim fans will not have much power to differentiate critique until the nuances are better understood.

I think as a general rule, try and be compassionate in all things, but also remember we are all imperfect whether it be failing at football or in emotional reactions.

I have never been a fan of booing players. However, saying they are exempt from criticism (even booing) because they don’t all earn millions and instead average about 110k per year instead doesn’t resonate with me. The reason being is that most people coddling athletes these days will turn around chew out their pizza delivery driver or server at a restaurant who is probably also a student for poor performance and not think twice about it.
Hypocrisy is rife in our society these days and it’s difficult to stay centered.

So, while I personally wouldn’t boo, I understand why others feel like it’s ok especially since players are now paid and many players now see athletics as a job, not an extracurricular activity as part of an education.

Unfortunately short term there will be a small disparity between the more “professionally paid” athletes and the more “academically motivated” athletes and in the interim fans will not have much power to differentiate critique until the nuances are better understood.

I think as a general rule, try and be compassionate in all things, but also remember we are all imperfect whether it be failing at football or in emotional reactions.
How come everyone who brings up players being paid has no answer on how many of our guys are being paid? Or how much? They are not professionals. Their time at the U is dedicated to Iowa football. Nobody is making any money. Give me a break. The coaches are still making all the money, but stop with the guys being pros.

How come everyone who brings up players being paid has no answer on how many of our guys are being paid? Or how much? They are not professionals. Their time at the U is dedicated to Iowa football. Nobody is making any money. Give me a break. The coaches are still making all the money, but stop with the guys being pros.
Pretty sure that is exactly what I addressed in the last paragraph. Nobody knows, even you expressed that. Unfortunately since some players are getting paid like pros most or all of the rest will fall into the same critiques.
There is no way to differentiate them. And again the same people who tear Billy the pizza guy a new orafice for a mistake on their pie will play the leave Britney alone card when someone inevitably oversteps on Johnny Football.
It’s a vicious and circular societal situation that will take time to resolve and absolutely nobody is really the villain just imperfect people doing imperfect things.

Pretty sure that is exactly what I addressed in the last paragraph. Nobody knows, even you expressed that. Unfortunately since some players are getting paid like pros most or all of the rest will fall into the same critiques.
There is no way to differentiate them. And again the same people who tear Billy the pizza guy a new orafice for a mistake on their pie will play the leave Britney alone card when someone inevitably oversteps on Johnny Football.
It’s a vicious and circular societal situation that will take time to resolve and absolutely nobody is really the villain just imperfect people doing imperfect things.
Of course there’s a way to differentiate them. That’s being ridiculous. We know Bruce Young at Bama is getting a million dollars. We know for a fact nobody at Iowa is getting much of anything. Also not sure why you’re making a comparison of the pizza guy vs an Iowa FB player. Again, I’m not defending Petras, he’s not good but our so called legendary coach says he’s the best man for the job. And it seems people in Iowa are so angry about our situation they can’t see straight. Is what it is. Most of us saw this coming if changes weren’t going to be made and it looks like none were.

A player sticking with and defending his teammate is what we'd all expect.
Campbell is being a good teammate and team leader.

Personally, I've got no problem with yelling during the game about a dumb play that was committed (thrown pick, dropped pass, broken coverage, etc.). Booing one of the players on the team you are supporting is taking it a step too far.

Reactions: littlez
Fans will never stop booing players at games.

you may not like it or want to accept it but it is what it is.

IMO the best action would be to ignore it and pretend you didn’t notice when asked.

all they are doing is letting those that boo know their voice is being heard.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
So what exactly is "big NIL money"? I think most people will be surprised that most of these guys aren't making big coin. And are you just booing the guys with the cash, or all the players? Interesting question, since none of us has a clue who is making bank except for a few guys right? Kind of shoots your whole thing in the butt, don't you think? Maybe people should do some thinking before they post this stuff, huh? :rolleyes:
The sport is changing with the portal and NIL money, last time I checked myself and my kids didn't get a free ride so brining in the pro element will change the dynamic.

Fans will never stop booing players at games.

you may not like it or want to accept it but it is what it is.

IMO the best action would be to ignore it and pretend you didn’t notice when asked.

all they are doing is letting those that boo know their voice is being heard.
This is true.

The sport is changing with the portal and NIL money, last time I checked myself and my kids didn't get a free ride so brining in the pro element will change the dynamic.
Were your kids good at academics or sports? Maybe they would have gotten one then. But when you're done brining the turkey go ahead and boo. You certainly have that right.

Were your kids good at academics or sports? Maybe they would have gotten one then. But when you're done brining the turkey go ahead and boo. You certainly have that right.
Did I say I was booing? I’m saying it’s a different dynamic now with both the portal and NIL as part of the game. It’s very much like pro sports where they depend on brand/fan loyalty on the consumer end but no one else has it.

Did I say I was booing? I’m saying it’s a different dynamic now with both the portal and NIL as part of the game. It’s very much like pro sports where they depend on brand/fan loyalty on the consumer end but no one else has it.
And as for academics , one is a rocket scientist and the other is working at a Manhattan fund. She had maybe one b in here college career.
There were in school for the academics .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT