ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Dreyer

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
So, what do we have in Dreyer? Good day today as our starting pitcher!

Here is a nice story prior to Sunday's game vs Oklahoma State. FromHawkCentral.com:

Now, the Hawkeyes will turn to freshman Jack Dreyer for a pivotal series win. The Johnston product will make his first weekend start on Sunday, looking to bail out a beleaguered mound unit that’s been worn down by ineffectiveness and injuries.

Dreyer made one start earlier this season — March 14 versus Missouri State — and flashed his pitching prowess while also getting tagged. The southpaw yielded four hits and fourruns(three earned) over 2 1/3 innings — but also struck out six.

He’s been a multi-inning midweek arm of late, but the Iowa staff has raved about Dreyer’s potential all year. An opportunity awaits.

“If Jack will go out and pitch like he can, he will give them a lot of trouble — he will,” Heller said. “He’s got a good arm, a good fastball — breaking stuff is really nasty. It’s just a matter of him being able to hit with it.

“For most of the season, he’s been off and on with it, and hopefully tomorrow, he’ll just go out there and step up and pick us up big.”

In a monumental rubber match, another offensive boost could provide the necessary confidence for a young arm. As they displayed Saturday, the Iowa bats can mask pitching futility in a hurry.

“(The coaching staff) always preaches, ‘It’s only over if you want it to be over,’” Hoeg said. “We can always come back.”

LINK: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-up-slack-crazy-win-vs-oklahoma-st/583780002/

Last edited:
Reactions: 750075
I had a GREAT time at Banks Field this weekend. These guys believe. They have had a tough conference schedule but I cannot imagine to many teams wanting to face the Hawkeyes in the B1G Tournament.

Reactions: 750075
Not to totally hijack this thread, but was Trenton Wallace ahead of Jack, and now, once they are both healthy, is Jack ahead of Wallace? If Cole cannot be the 3rd starter, who gets the job?

Not to totally hijack this thread, but was Trenton Wallace ahead of Jack, and now, once they are both healthy, is Jack ahead of Wallace? If Cole cannot be the 3rd starter, who gets the job?

Wallace started the game against Missouri and had to leave after 3 scoreless innings due to forearm stiffness. It was really too bad as he had a good start to the game. I think removing him was more precautionary, according to Heller after the game. That left Dreyer to start on Sunday and he did very well. Both guys have bright futures on the mound. If I had to guess, Heller will put Dreyer out there on Sunday this weekend. They'll mix Wallace in if his forearm tightness has subsided and see if he can go at some point. But it's hard to start a guy in a game if you aren't confident he can at least go 80-100 pitches.

Reactions: Couppee
Not sure, but if you are going to make a postseason run whether it be the B1G tournament or further you will need both.
This.

Even with a fully healthy pitching staff, you need guys to step up if you're going to be playing 3-4-5 games in 3-4 days. Having the injuries that we do, guys are really going to have to step up. Jack did in a BIG way Sunday against one of the premier team in the country.

Reactions: Couppee
@whatsup13579er

Tell the lounge that NCAA bracket they are looking at is garbage and one of the worst I've seen. No way Iowa/Minnesota get put in the same regional. No way Minnesota is a #4. They are a strong #2 and maybe a host.

That is just one of many flaws. I could point out others.

I think they have the seeds listed 1-2-3-4 not 1-4 2-3. Minny being a 4 seed would be ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT