ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson Stratton

Interesting.

Offered by Nevada, then committed to Washington, then decommited from Washington and signed with CSU right after Norvel was hired.

And in case anyone is wondering, no apparent Budmayr ties, based on the timeline.
Stratton de-committed from Washington after HC Jimmy Lake was fired. Lake is now DC for Atlanta Falcons.

3 years of eligibility remaining to develop under Lester, former QB, OC & HC who was fired and then spent a year as Offensive Analyst for Green Bay.

Stratton completed 312-of-515 passes in high school for 4,469 yards and 52 touchdowns with 19 interceptions. He played in 21 games over the course of three years, per MaxPreps, while only playing five games as a junior and six as a senior.

why the f does iowa have so many qbs on the roster? that’s a objective thread topic suggestion to anyone who wants to go that route.

btw what’s known about stratton? i’m really hoping that lester can be for iowa qbs what parker is for iowa cbs.

I guess you can never have enough qbs. Ask the 94’ squad that was playing it’s 4th or 5th string.

Remember that year my dad took me to mich st game where off one big wr reverse pass play (want to say jasper) he ended up with more passing yards on the day over or qb. But huge day from Shaw and Kent Kahl on the ground secured the W.

My concern is that Lester has studied the Resar film and is underwhelmed.
Meh, this one is a walk on and Fitz's son is walking on as well. Not that they can't earn scholarships, but really it is nice to hear the walk on program is attracting Qb's and it is really nice to hear these Qb's all say they want to come learn from and play for Lester.

Last edited:
Feels like this type of QB activity wouldn’t be happening if the previous OC was in place. Has to be a good thing, including that the staff is able to bring these young men to Iowa. Go Hawks!
This is my immediate thought as well. It’s so refreshing to have the OC/QB actually vetting his QB room and figuring out how to make it better, not to mention that he might actually possess the ability to develop these players into solid B1G QB’s. I almost forgot what that’s like.

In the day and age of the portal and habitual transferring of players, we have a lot more visibility to the number of QBs on the roster. The number we have isn’t that unusual. There are much more important things to worry about than Walk-on players.

8e34fc55-f729-4716-b532-dae0d192c2a3_text.gif

why the f does iowa have so many qbs on the roster? that’s a objective thread topic suggestion to anyone who wants to go that route.

btw what’s known about stratton? i’m really hoping that lester can be for iowa qbs what parker is for iowa cbs.

When did Fry, now Ferentz ever have less than five QBs to begin a season in the QB room 🤔

@HawkeyeFanCFPdelusion I cannot believe there is someone out there that creates these accounts. Do you KNOW how much of a turd you are?
His Sister and Aunt both cut Him off from fun time , now all He has is His troll account and and empty jar of lube and the empty tissue box. frustration is real in that one. I would not recommend shaking His hand either.

So we got our third transfer qb. Does that mean that Marco just isn’t very good? Or is this just added depth for the sake of depth…hard to believe you could talk a guy in to coming to ride the pine..?
I would imagine a lot of G5 and FCS QBs watched our QB play last year in national TV games and thought.... "Shit, I'm better than that guy!"

I have a feeling the Fitzgerald kid is going to be a Hawkeye fan favorite. I don't know why and it may not be at QB, but when you get an opposing coaches son to come to your team/system something good comes from that. Not only that but Dad has come to Iowa a couple times at least and that is unheard of. Iowa has had a few of these guys in the past(coaches kids) and they generally turn out to be pretty damn good.

I guess you can never have enough qbs. Ask the 94’ squad that was playing it’s 4th or 5th string. Remember that year my dad took me to mich st game where off one big wr reverse pass play (want to say jasper) he ended up with more passing yards on the day over or qb. But huge day from Shaw and Kent Kahl on the ground secured the W.
Ah yes... 94. We started Ryan Driscoll out of Linn Mar as I recall. He broke his collarbone halfway thru the year. Matt Sherman was out with an injury at that time. We put in Corby Smith (Dad was coach at Mizzou I think) and he got hurt just a few plays later. Then we put in Jefferson Bates and as I recall he got hurt. All that was left was Mike Duprey from Massachusetts. They were hoping he'd be the next Matt Rogers... he wasn't... And even he was hurt. They were working out a WR at QB (Willie Guy maybe) who'd played there in HS just in case. Sherman ultimately won the job by the end of the year and sadly became the next reviled Iowa QB even though I thought we saw a lot of success with him. Good memories.

His brother named Briggs?

I have a feeling the Fitzgerald kid is going to be a Hawkeye fan favorite. I don't know why and it may not be at QB, but when you get an opposing coaches son to come to your team/system something good comes from that. Not only that but Dad has come to Iowa a couple times at least and that is unheard of. Iowa has had a few of these guys in the past(coaches kids) and they generally turn out to be pretty damn good.
At one time I thought that Fitz was the best coach in the BIG. Really strange how the bottom fell out.

Ah yes... 94. We started Ryan Driscoll out of Linn Mar as I recall. He broke his collarbone halfway thru the year. Matt Sherman was out with an injury at that time. We put in Corby Smith (Dad was coach at Mizzou I think) and he got hurt just a few plays later. Then we put in Jefferson Bates and as I recall he got hurt. All that was left was Mike Duprey from Massachusetts. They were hoping he'd be the next Matt Rogers... he wasn't... And even he was hurt. They were working out a WR at QB (Willie Guy maybe) who'd played there in HS just in case. Sherman ultimately won the job by the end of the year and sadly became the next reviled Iowa QB even though I thought we saw a lot of success with him. Good memories.
In a 47-7 loss at Illinois that year, Bates started, injured his throwing arm, Dupree replaced him, got hurt, Smith replaced him (only playing time of his career) and got hurt in like 2 plays. So Bates returned being the only QB physically able to take the field (Driscoll and Sherman were out before the game started). Iowa’s TD was a last minute pass that bates threw left-handed because he still couldn’t throw with his right. That was absolute rock-bottom of my Hawkeye fandom at the time.

Hm. At first blush seems like a lot of additions, but remember the QB room was a ghost town at season's end. Here's hoping someone steps up and seizes the throne, so to speak.

The best part is I think Sullivan is going to tear it up his senior year. So Fitz will have some time to develop. Hopefully we start beating some teams soundly enough that the #2's get a little more work. That would go a little ways in developing these guys.

Reactions: obfuscating
So we got our third transfer qb. Does that mean that Marco just isn’t very good? Or is this just added depth for the sake of depth…hard to believe you could talk a guy in to coming to ride the pine..?

No he is really good, he should have been starting last year. All the seasoned personnel guys on here said so 😳

Reactions: pistachio1999
The best part is I think Sullivan is going to tear it up his senior year. So Fitz will have some time to develop. Hopefully we start beating some teams soundly enough that the #2's get a little more work. That would go a little ways in developing these guys.
WE need to pound the easy ones like ISU, get our 2's time to run the offense and defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT