ADVERTISEMENT

Jamie Pollard tweet

But his tweet was the very "hate" you are now "defending" against, isn't it? You've just chosen which "hate" to defend and which to ridicule.
I did not see his tweet as hateful. Looking forward to a meet - wishes it was televised. Where is the hate? I don't feel that I was"defending" any hate.
Someone calling him an ass clown, a d-bag, an idiot is closer to hateful. I also do not think the tone or purpose of my post was to ridicule. Maybe being Captain Obvious and stating there is a lot of hate is considered ridiculing someone in your eyes, but it was not my intention to ridicule anyone.

You know guys, Pollard may not be a wizard, but he did try to hire Terry Brands - which should at least make him seem competent in some respects. He did hire a great wrestler and the coach of Team USA, who turned out to be a less than stellar D1 coach. (As a side note- it can be tricky to fire a minority or gay person. Everyone saw what happened at Iowa when they fired the lesbian assistant AD) He did hire Cael Sanderson who is doing quite a bang up job at PSU. Now the guy is trying to give some good promotion to a dual and wanting more coverage of his team. Do you guys have to be so negative?

Holy crap. Is this for real? He helped drive Cael AWAY from Ames. Kevin Jackson was a poor coach of USA wrestling and had next to no college coaching experience. Not only was he a poor hire, he also extended his contract. Twice. That makes him being a minority a total red herring as it doesn't at all relate to the Iowa issue. Saying stupidly ignorant things is not "promotion." It is embarrassing for a D1 AD to make such comments.

BTN has poor wrestling coverage in general. This cannot be denied.

Wait. What? What other TV network offers more live wrestling and has entire TV shows dedicated to the sport? And to take it one step further, every Big 10 home meet is available on BTN+. Poor? Who's better?

I did not see his tweet as hateful. Looking forward to a meet - wishes it was televised. Where is the hate? I don't feel that I was"defending" any hate.
Someone calling him an ass clown, a d-bag, an idiot is closer to hateful. I also do not think the tone or purpose of my post was to ridicule. Maybe being Captain Obvious and stating there is a lot of hate is considered ridiculing someone in your eyes, but it was not my intention to ridicule anyone.

Speaking of Captain Obvious, how do you not realize his comments are flat out hypocritical?

And one can convince themselves of anything when they wish to. Plenty of posts in here showing exactly why it was the "hate" you were complaining about.

"Just realized the wrestling match is not on TV, only BTN streaming. Maybe Iowa and the Big Ten could get the Longhorn Network to televise it. . @ESPN_Big12 @LonghornNetwork

Either he is complaining about the Longhorn Network only, or he is also complaining about the Big Ten Network. Both would be ironic for the reasons many on here have already stated. Either way, he is complaining, not simply "wishing it was televised." He is quite obviously complaining about the very thing his school does for every other meet. (Flo or Cy.tv)

It is even more obvious that you are defending him, while complaining about the complaining. Pot, kettle, have fun.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Did he tweet last year wishing the meet was televised? Or does he only tweet when the streaming service doesn't profit his school?

Reactions: Franisdaman and HKI

Yea...his tweet was total snark bro. I can watch all the B1G duals I want through either the B1G subscription or now Flo. For Iowa at ISU duals, I had to also sign up for Cyclones TV (still get the emails btw) before I moved back. Now, I didn’t mind it so much because I saw it as supporting wrestling and sometimes you have to pay for what you want. One dual=$10 I think for the month.

But to hear him complain about something that wrestling fans live with and his school actually helps further...is pretty ironic. But if I can sign up and support the “enemy’s” tv channel, he can too for just one dual.

Pollard reminds me of Barta. These ADs have a pot full of $$$ fall into their laps from fat TV contracts and they get undeserved credit for being great promoters.
Getting thrown out of a high school gym for being an ass is all I need to know about him.

Pollard reminds me of Barta. These ADs have a pot full of $$$ fall into their laps from fat TV contracts and they get undeserved credit for being great promoters.
Getting thrown out of a high school gym for being an ass is all I need to know about him.

Gary Barta and Jamie Pollard are almost polar opposites. They are as different as Kirk Ferentz and Coach Row The Boat.

I will admit, had he not tweeted that, I wouldn't know the match was being aired st all.

You know guys, Pollard may not be a wizard, but he did try to hire Terry Brands - which should at least make him seem competent in some respects. He did hire a great wrestler and the coach of Team USA, who turned out to be a less than stellar D1 coach. (As a side note- it can be tricky to fire a minority or gay person. Everyone saw what happened at Iowa when they fired the lesbian assistant AD) He did hire Cael Sanderson who is doing quite a bang up job at PSU. Now the guy is trying to give some good promotion to a dual and wanting more coverage of his team. Do you guys have to be so negative?

Holy crap. Is this for real? He helped drive Cael AWAY from Ames. Kevin Jackson was a poor coach of USA wrestling and had next to no college coaching experience. Not only was he a poor hire, he also extended his contract. Twice. That makes him being a minority a total red herring as it doesn't at all relate to the Iowa issue. Saying stupidly ignorant things is not "promotion." It is embarrassing for a D1 AD to make such comments.

Wait. What? What other TV network offers more live wrestling and has entire TV shows dedicated to the sport? And to take it one step further, every Big 10 home meet is available on BTN+. Poor? Who's better?

ESPN's coverage of nationals alone probably provides more live wrestling coverage than BTN over the entire year (stop with the lame BTN+ crap). BTN probably offers less wrestling coverage than any sport that BTN broadcasts.

Whenever or however he watches the match, he isn't going to enjoy it at all.

They both have issues, but there is nothing similar about them other than their job titles.

Barta's milquetoast for sure as an AD, but I'd be outright embarrassed if JP were my school's AD. Guy is a laughingstock.

Pollard has a long history of taking shots at Iowa and their fans. He is obsessed with beating Iowa which is why he put money into Dresser. Maybe once again you should have some facts before telling Iowa fans how to react to assclown.

Last edited:
Reactions: wasdt21
ESPN's coverage of nationals alone probably provides more live wrestling coverage than BTN over the entire year (stop with the lame BTN+ crap). BTN probably offers less wrestling coverage than any sport that BTN broadcasts.
Do you honestly believe that ESPN broadcasting Nationals is the same as broadcasting dual meets?

Reactions: Gobblin

BTN has a show that broadcasts the 5 best matches of the week. big Ten hour wrestling or something.

Weird complaint.

ESPN covers the biggest tournament of the year. Great, fantastic. ESPN created ESPN+ specifically to charge for college content going forward.

BTN covers (I'm not verifying this, but appears to be from their website) 17 duals this season on the main channel. http://btn.com/2018/11/12/2018-wrestling-schedule-on-btn/ And then through +/Flo they cover the majority of the rest (all?)

So people should stop with the "lame" BTN+ crap, ignoring ESPN+ and the non-covering of any other meet this year (?). BTN clearly has the second-best (according to you) broadcast schedule, yet somehow sucks.

Without BTN, what duals would be televised on "actual" tv? None? Maybe ESPN would pick up a PSU/OSU/Iowa? Certainly no others.

The guy does have a history of being a jackass.

Accused Big XII officials of having a conspiracy against ISU.

Kicked out of a high school basketball game after being warned to shut up.

Publicly criticized basketball players for transferring, then hires Hoiberg to do nothing but take transfers.

Off the top of my head I don’t remember all the other embarrassing stuff the guy has done, but I’m missing a few.

Pollard’s behavior only reflects what the isu culture is all about. He is a douche just like their fans, coaches and players.

Does his tweet really surprise anyone?

Frankly it surprises me, because it makes little sense. I've never seen Pollard as an idiot; when he has made complaints and troll-comments in the past they've been quite purposeful and directed. I've subjectively decided this was just ill-informed of him. Ok, ignorant.

Not sure Pollard is always purposeful unless getting tossed from a high school basketball somehow serves isu’s interests. I see it for what it is, another example of an isu administrator with little brother syndrome.

Not sure Pollard is always purposeful unless getting tossed from a high school basketball somehow serves isu’s interests.

Why not just repeat this like ten times in a row, that way we can discuss other things.

No, I don't think that very specific incident was the purposeful comment/troll that I was discussing, nor immediately correlative with every other thing hes ever done.

If you wish to consider it as such, enjoy.

at the very least insincere , if you don't know when your team is on you are not a fan.

None of this is even close. Terrible. Just terrible.

Also, "lame BTN+ crap"? What century do you live in? The lines between "TV" and "internet" broadcasts have never been more skewed and it is only going to be more so going forward.

this is just going to open him up to more trolls after the meet is done...love it

Compared to??

Big 12 is second best conference

EIWA and ACC might disagree. Times have been a-changin'. Cornell and Lehigh. NC State, VaTech . . . and now UNC on the rise.

Big 12 is pretty much just Oklahoma State and Seth Gross. Oh, and Utah Valley. ;)

EIWA and ACC might disagree. Times have been a-changin'. Cornell and Lehigh. NC State, VaTech . . . and now UNC on the rise.

Big 12 is pretty much just Oklahoma State and Seth Gross. Oh, and Utah Valley. ;)

And without OSU, the big12 is nothing.

Lol well played with UV reference. Not as bad as Michigan losing to app state but bad enough that RU fans get it all year.

Reactions: slushhead
Big 12 had fewer qualifiers but more AAs then eiwa last year, no?

I didn't do a tally, but my slant on it is from a team-race perspective. In the Big 12, OSU is the perennial shoe-in and would not have a competitive dual with anyone in-conference. The other conferences I mentioned have more interesting battles, IMO. And they have enough Top 10 (even Top 5) guys at various points in the season to make them interesting from a national perspective.

My take is influenced partially by what we have going this year, too. The Big 12 was more interesting last year when SDSU had multiple AA threats, NDSU had a couple of guys, and WVU had Moisey. Stock is down on those teams this year . . . and only Utah Valley is stepping up to try to fill the void. ;) ;)

This. Highest Big 12 team at NCAAs was SDSU at 12...OSU literally collapsed. I’d take the ACC...at least until Iowa State gets better.

Reactions: Dagboi
This. Highest Big 12 team at NCAAs was SDSU at 12...OSU literally collapsed. I’d take the ACC...at least until Iowa State gets better.

And/or Oklahoma . . . but they are much farther away.

The downfalls of ISU and Oklahoma, combined with Mizzou & Nebby leaving, were real death blows to the conference. I remember complaining back then about the conference having only 5 teams . . . but at least 4 of the 5 were pretty good each year.

Reactions: Dagboi
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT