ADVERTISEMENT

Jan Jensen's Press conf

Is this at 1:00 today and is going to be steamed to watch?
Cosmo Kramer Seinfeld GIF

Really good presser, Love how Jan is embracing NIL, Has an excellent grasp on the reality that Iowa’s visibility is higher than it’s ever been and she wants to chase greatness, Also excited to hear that she has thoughts on using full court pressure on defense.
Another take away was it sounds like Abby Stamp truly has an excellent grasp on the overall recruiting plan and has things completely organized in regard to day to day recruiting as well as seeing the big picture.
Will be really fun to see how the 25 class and especially the 26 class ends up coming together.

Really good presser, Love how Jan is embracing NIL, Has an excellent grasp on the reality that Iowa’s visibility is higher than it’s ever been and she wants to chase greatness, Also excited to hear that she has thoughts on using full court pressure on defense.
Another take away was it sounds like Abby Stamp truly has an excellent grasp on the overall recruiting plan and has things completely organized in regard to day to day recruiting as well as seeing the big picture.
Will be really fun to see how the 25 class and especially the 26 class ends up coming together.
Very impressive press conference. Jan has more Charisma in her little finger than Fran has in his whole body. Very articulate and loved the comment, you can't win the race without thoroughbreds. Recruiting is critical.

Love that a person who has paid her dues and waited her turn AND who has proved her ability to coach top-level talent is getting this opportunity. And I love that she's thinking full-court pressure as part of her defensive strategy. Everybody loves offense. Me included, but I love great defense too. Iowa has been a much better defensive team than it's generally been given credit for the last two years, especially this past season, but I think Jan wants to push it to the next level. Can't wait to see it in action.

Lisa Bluder, as we all know, has always been a class act. Now we have another in Jan, at least partly because Lisa was selfless enough to make sure Jan got this chance. Lisa could have stayed for several more years. But she put Jan and the program ahead of her own career.

Not doing the paywall. Why did she retire? Anything big or just the typical...timing, etc
“Why now? Why not?” Bluder said Tuesday night at the Hilton Garden Inn in West Des Moines, site of a well-attended Polk County I-Club event. “It’s an opportunity for Dave and I to travel while we’re still healthy. My son (David Jr.) is going to be a senior at Grinnell College next year, and I’ll get to see all of his games. I missed so many of my kids’ things, and it’s time for me to be able to give to them fully. It’s a good time to go out, quite honestly.”

What she will miss…

“I will miss the practices. I won’t miss the road trips. Those are kind of grueling sometimes,"

"But I will miss the players and the camaraderie of being part of a team … there’s nothing like that.”

Retiring at the peak of her career…
“It’s such a good feeling to take this team to the Final Four and the national championship game,” Bluder said. “I know nothing can ever replicate that. It was pretty magical.”

Her legacy…
“I want (fans) to remember the joy that this team played with, and the camaraderie,” So much can be accomplished if you put your differences aside and focus on the goal and focus on the mission. That’s what this team did. That’s what was so much fun to be a part of. I hope people remember that. I hope we brought joy to a lot of people and let them kind of forget about any troubles that they have in their lives for a couple hours on gamedays. But mostly I hope people remember the way we played the game.”

Last edited:
Love that a person who has paid her dues and waited her turn AND who has proved her ability to coach top-level talent is getting this opportunity. And I love that she's thinking full-court pressure as part of her defensive strategy. Everybody loves offense. Me included, but I love great defense too. Iowa has been a much better defensive team than it's generally been given credit for the last two years, especially this past season, but I think Jan wants to push it to the next level. Can't wait to see it in action.

Lisa Bluder, as we all know, has always been a class act. Now we have another in Jan, at least partly because Lisa was selfless enough to make sure Jan got this chance. Lisa could have stayed for several more years. But she put Jan and the program ahead of her own career.

My only caveat to that is I would actually prefer more dedicated, in your face, man to man, half court defense out to 25 foot than I would full court press at all, but that’s me..🤷‍♂️

Retiring at the peak of her career…
“It’s such a good feeling to take this team to the Final Four and the national championship game,” Bluder said. “I know nothing can ever

Her legacy…
“I want (fans) to remember the joy that this team played with, and the camaraderie,” So much can be accomplished if you put your differences aside and focus on the goal and focus on the mission. That’s what this team did. That’s what was so much fun to be a part of. I hope people remember that. I hope we brought joy to a lot of people and let them kind of forget about any troubles that they have in their lives for a couple hours on gamedays. But mostly I hope people remember the way we played the game.”

I’d like to swear, but this is way too classy for that… This was a high-class lady, a real ambassador of the human race. She did it well and she did it with integrity and endurance!!

Just great people leading this program. We can all question a decision or game plan here and there but we can never question the love and effort the gals in their charge ever exhibited, and the character from top to bottom.
Sad and excited for both of them. Gotta be strange not going to work with your best friend for the first time in forever.

Beyond the open position that she has, is it known yet who Jensen will have on her staff? Will all current staff stay on?

Leistikow: A candid 1-on-1 with Jan Jensen, the new Iowa women's basketball coach

It sounds like Jensen will have at least two openings to fill, either with a possible Fitzgerald exit or by the creation of a new role or both. She has a “short list” of candidates in mind but is open to unexpected interest popping up. Jensen has identified "at least one” younger candidate for a position, but it's too early to broadcast names.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
It sounds like Jensen will have at least two openings to fill, either with a possible Fitzgerald exit or by the creation of a new role or both. She has a “short list” of candidates in mind but is open to unexpected interest popping up. Jensen has identified "at least one” younger candidate for a position, but it's too early to broadcast names.

Leistikow: A candid 1-on-1 with Jan Jensen, the new Iowa women's basketball coach

Thanks for the link. I am stunned that Jensen was only paid $255K for being associate head coach. She should triple that now.

Reactions: cyberhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT