ADVERTISEMENT

Jaryd coles tweet

relishingwinning18

HR Heisman
Feb 21, 2009
For those that have Twitter, you should go find this to gain some perspective on how our players feel after that loss. I'd copy it if I knew how. Let's support this team and make a run.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

3484264.jpg

Originally posted by MattFoleyHawk:
Originally posted by LaoHawk:
ec
Who cares? All the players s*ck and Fran should be fired!!!

Signed:
Most of the idiots on this board.
Foley didn't you make a claim a few weeks back that you were ditching your username and taking a hike?

I wouldn't normally comment in this fashion, nor about something like this if it wasn't a garbage thread, but a former player who crawled through the weeds of the Lickliter days stood up and had something positive to say, and this thread wasn't negative yet. Yet you did that. I know your schtick is riling the masses, so my question is why?

It's well established that fans are highly irrational, frequently psychotic, and regularly suck. They also can be the polar opposite. This isn't unique to Iowa, but some of us like to think it is. Players, former and current, and coaches would be wise to remember this and stop trying to understand fan behavior...it's a pointless exercise.

Originally posted by NorthCentralHawk:
It's well established that fans are highly irrational, frequently psychotic, and regularly suck. They also can be the polar opposite. This isn't unique to Iowa, but some of us like to think it is. Players, former and current, and coaches would be wise to remember this and stop trying to understand fan behavior...it's a pointless exercise.
Agreed. But by the same token, it would also be wise to keep at bay with regard to Iowa Basketball, the insidious disease known as "Don't forget how bad it was in the (insert decade/decades here)!" that infects a lot of folks relative to Iowa Football.

At some point you have to measure success/failure against present day circumstances, and not as it relates to how bad it might have been 2 years ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, or half a century ago. Maybe we haven't quite reached that point yet with the basketball program. But just as we are baby-stepping forward inch-by-inch making progress as Cole explains, so too are we baby-stepping forward, inch-by-inch away from being able to use how bad it once was as a wet blanket to throw over any and all (often justified) criticism.

Well said, Doodle.

According to some, it sounds like anyone who is ticked off about yesterday's game is an idiot. Ok, gotcha. We're not supposed to show ANY emotion - like our team.

I get what Cole is saying in his Tweet, but common - if we want the program to keep growing, we're gonna have to be capable of winning a game in the BTT at some point, yes?

"At least it isn't the Lick years anymore!" thing doesn't do much to make me feel better about yesterday's game. Years 1-2 of the Fran era or so, sure, but in year 5, I expect to be able to beat teams like PSU & NW in the BTT. Iowa has failed at that in epic fashion the past 2 years.
This post was edited on 3/13 9:23 AM by TampaHawkfan

I think the Hawkeyes overachieved to get to 12-6. That speaks well of them, they were mentally tough on road and regrouped after losses. Teams like Minnesota and PSU did not. The level of skills and talent on Iowa is not head and shoulders above either Minnesota or PSU.

So when we come out shooting bricks, they are going to get beat no matter how hard they play, because they are not uber athletes like Kentucky.

As far as being disappointed. Each individual fan has right to their own hopes/expectations and this is just a board to vent on.

Yes, Iowa is a lot better than Lickliter years. However, I would personally like to see Iowa be better--i.e more wins.

White has had a wonderful senior year, Olaseni has improved immensely, and Ogelsby has helped win a couple games this year (at OSU, at PSU). This PSU game in B1G tourney was a stinker though.

Did I hear this right?

4th time a double digit seed has beat a top 5 seed in the BTT?

I am disappointed to say the least, the only 2nd round higher seed to not get it done was Iowa. Leave it to Iowa to blow it. Trying to not get to worked up about it though. I understand what Cole is trying to say too, but we are going to have to get over the hump sometime, especially against a 4 win conference team. Come on! Unforturnately, we looked pretty sad yesterday.

Originally posted by Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo:

At some point you have to measure success/failure against present day circumstances, and not as it relates to how bad it might have been 2 years ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, or half a century ago. Maybe we haven't quite reached that point yet with the basketball program. But just as we are baby-stepping forward inch-by-inch making progress as Cole explains, so too are we baby-stepping forward, inch-by-inch away from being able to use how bad it once was as a wet blanket to throw over any and all (often justified) criticism.
I agree with the statement as long as the coach has been given the time to establish his foundation. Right now, I would be able to confidently state that Fran has laid his foundation and we are going to be able to start comparing Fran's teams to each other. Some posters already do that with last year's team to this years. I think because of this years "large" graduating class, it will be more prevalent next year as to where this program is as we get to see the recruits step into the shoes of those that they were meant to replace.

Originally posted by Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo:

Originally posted by NorthCentralHawk:
Agreed. But by the same token, it would also be wise to keep at bay with regard to Iowa Basketball, the insidious disease known as "Don't forget how bad it was in the (insert decade/decades here)!" that infects a lot of folks relative to Iowa Football.

Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that. But there will always be fans on either end of the spectrum that can only fear the worst or see nothing but the good. Players n coaches should probably stop trying to read too much into things they hear or read online / social media / etc. Fan can and should vent and celebrate, but that shouldn't change how those inside the program prepare for games, measure success, etc. I'm guessing that how we measure success or failure as fans is often at least slightly different than how the "insiders" measure it, and that's perfectly fine. We aren't deciding anything here on a fan forum...just expressing our viewpoints/opinions and occasional facts. :)

Trust the process. We're still on track.

Jarryd was a great Hawkeye and it's a damn shame he had to play on such awful teams.

Originally posted by wyohawk:
Trust the process. We're still on track.

Jarryd was a great Hawkeye and it's a damn shame he had to play on such awful teams.
+1 GO HAWKS!!

I'm surprised no one has called him out for stating Iowa had a "play-in" for the NCAA tournament last year....

Hey, Cole was a good Hawkeye, but there is no excusing Iowa's performance against Penn State. Look what Michigan--without its two best players--did to a good Illinois team. Iowa put on a miserable performance, period. As was the case too often before the 6-game streak, Iowa appeared to be going through the motions. And barely that. How can you not bring the energy and enthusiasm to the conference tournament? Penn State did. Michigan did. But not Iowa.

Spin it any way you want. The mess Iowa made yesterday in Chicago was inexcusable.

Originally posted by CoachoftheFuture1:
Hey, Cole was a good Hawkeye, but there is no excusing Iowa's performance against Penn State. Look what Michigan--without its two best players--did to a good Illinois team. Iowa put on a miserable performance, period. As was the case too often before the 6-game streak, Iowa appeared to be going through the motions. And barely that. How can you not bring the energy and enthusiasm to the conference tournament? Penn State did. Michigan did. But not Iowa.

Spin it any way you want. The mess Iowa made yesterday in Chicago was inexcusable.
OK. So what do you want done? Coaches fired? Players released? Yes, our guards shot poorly yesterday, but the game is over. Hopefully they will regather and bounce back for their game in the NCAA Tournament. I think we're all disappointed about yesterday, mainly because most of us were riding the high that the players created by winning six straight games, but I suspect the players are pretty disappointed as well and so far this year, they've managed to bounce back from these defeats.

Originally posted by relishingwinning18:
For those that have Twitter, you should go find this to gain some perspective on how our players feel after that loss. I'd copy it if I knew how. Let's support this team and make a run.
Jaryd needs to realize that half the idiots going crazy after a loss are opposing fans trolling. The other half are knuckle dragging morons that represent a very small portion of our fan base. I personally think the dozen or so idiots crying on here should be lined up and shot. They are pathetic bums.

People say this every time Iowa loses, and it's a fallacy.

Just because Iowa lost to a team outside the RPI top 100 doesn't mean they were just going through the motions. Iowa outrebounded Penn State by 15 boards and we had many guys diving for loose balls and playing hard. We made more free throws than Penn State attempted. You don't do that by playing passively or without effort.

We shot 26% from the field and only made 3 of 15 three-point field goals. No matter who you're playing, if you shoot that poorly you're almost certainly going to lose and probably get blown out. We were only down 2 with less than a minute left, despite shooting that terribly, because the team played hard -- even though they didn't execute well.

If Iowa shoots its season average yesterday we would have scored 80 points and won easily by double digits. However, we shot the ball like a junior high team and we lost.

Unless you think the players weren't trying hard enough to make their shots, effort wasn't the problem yesterday.

Originally posted by icantfindausernamethatisntused:

People say this every time Iowa loses, and it's a fallacy.

Just because Iowa lost to a team outside the RPI top 100 doesn't mean they were just going through the motions. Iowa outrebounded Penn State by 15 boards and we had many guys diving for loose balls and playing hard. We made more free throws than Penn State attempted. You don't do that by playing passively or without effort.

We shot 26% from the field and only made 3 of 15 three-point field goals. No matter who you're playing, if you shoot that poorly you're almost certainly going to lose and probably get blown out. We were only down 2 with less than a minute left, despite shooting that terribly, because the team played hard -- even though they didn't execute well.

If Iowa shoots its season average yesterday we would have scored 80 points and won easily by double digits. However, we shot the ball like a junior high team and we lost.

Unless you think the players weren't trying hard enough to make their shots, effort wasn't the problem yesterday.
Spot on. Maybe some day these people will realize that this Iowa team struggles when officials allow a lot of contact. We are a good team but will continue to struggle against physical teams when the refs let them grab and hold all game.

I'm proud of what this team has accomplished this year. I just wish that they would play to their potential more often. Maybe my expectations are too high, or maybe I think this team has more potential then they actually do. It just seems to me like they play poorly way more often then they should. I guess if I had lower expectations I would probably be a happier person, but if we don't expect more we might as well be Cyclone football fans.

Originally posted by jberesford:
Originally posted by MattFoleyHawk:
Originally posted by LaoHawk:
ec
Who cares? All the players s*ck and Fran should be fired!!!

Signed:
Most of the idiots on this board.
Foley didn't you make a claim a few weeks back that you were ditching your username and taking a hike?

I wouldn't normally comment in this fashion, nor about something like this if it wasn't a garbage thread, but a former player who crawled through the weeds of the Lickliter days stood up and had something positive to say, and this thread wasn't negative yet. Yet you did that. I know your schtick is riling the masses, so my question is why?
He did in fact claim that because he had accomplished his goal of becoming a HR legend. And as someone predicted in that thread he probably realized that nobody ever thought of him again once he left just like the other so called HR legends that no one ever gives a second thought to once they leave. So here he is again, posting random crap and trolling around.

I don't think effort was the problem at all. Having played a lot of basketball at a lot of different levels and being a shooter myself i can tell you that when you have nights as a team when nothing is going in the basket about all you can do is play good D and hope to start making shots. When you shoot poorly more often than not it bites you in the ass.
smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by TampaHawkfan:
Well said, Doodle.

According to some, it sounds like anyone who is ticked off about yesterday's game is an idiot. Ok, gotcha. We're not supposed to show ANY emotion - like our team.

I get what Cole is saying in his Tweet, but common - if we want the program to keep growing, we're gonna have to be capable of winning a game in the BTT at some point, yes?

"At least it isn't the Lick years anymore!" thing doesn't do much to make me feel better about yesterday's game. Years 1-2 of the Fran era or so, sure, but in year 5, I expect to be able to beat teams like PSU & NW in the BTT. Iowa has failed at that in epic fashion the past 2 years.
This post was edited on 3/13 9:23 AM by TampaHawkfan
e687km.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT