ADVERTISEMENT

Jayden Mcdonald~Top recruit of the 2018 cycle?

Harbinger273

HR Heisman
Feb 17, 2016
After his post season accolades in the top class of high school football in the state of Georgia, I'm beginning to feel that Mcdonald was actually the toast of the class! Maybe tied with Petras or Tracy.

Reactions: Stormn Norman
This class is nice. There are numerous guys at the top. Indy pipeline being the major contributor!

Dang it i forgot about those 2 as well ...this class really is too dang nice

Yep, I like this class, Iowa has got some nice pieces coming to town. Another kid I really like is Big Jack Plum. He had a pretty impressive list of offerers too. Does anyone know if he is staying a TE that is a great blocker and really good pass catcher that may not be fast but runs very well or is going to be a full out very athletic O lineman?? His size reminds me CJF but he’s a much better blocker out of high school and this kid can catch!

Yep, I like this class, Iowa has got some nice pieces coming to town. Another kid I really like is Big Jack Plum. He had a pretty impressive list of offerers too. Does anyone know if he is staying a TE that is a great blocker and really good pass catcher that may not be fast but runs very well or is going to be a full out very athletic O lineman?? His size reminds me CJF but he’s a much better blocker out of high school and this kid can catch!

I believe Blair has said he is going to play on the line for us.

I believe Blair's reports consistently said he's expected to go to OT. Eitger way is a win, in my view. He either stays at TE and is a terrific blocker and mismatch due to his size (redzone threat at well) or he moves to OT and, while he wouldn't be considered fast for a TE, would be quick for OT. He has the size and I look forward to seeing what a few years under Doyle will have him looking like.

Reactions: nwhawkincr
Plumb isn't fast enough to be a te at Iowa. But he is plenty fast, agile and flexible enough to be a special Otackle for Iowa. All he needs is bulk/strength. Iowa is fast tracking him to the ol. Plumb and Roberts are my favorite sleeper picks.
Love Roberts

I really can’t call Plum a sleeper, his list of suitors is too good and even though he looks to be on his way to being an O lineman with weight and development he could play TE at the college level too..

I think we would be wasting Plumbs potential by putting him at TE. He needs to be in the game every play and his only means to doing that is as an OL. Unless we are all set at OL and just need a jumbo package TE, he really ought to be on the OL.

I think we would be wasting Plumbs potential by putting him at TE. He needs to be in the game every play and his only means to doing that is as an OL. Unless we are all set at OL and just need a jumbo package TE, he really ought to be on the OL.
Just a guess, but with all the linemen we've been getting, I'd be surprised if he sees the field except for garbage time and injuries

He might see the o line on a "normal" time schedule. True freshman, redshirt freshman, etc. isn't the way it normally works. Playing time could easily open up as a redshirt junior. He could potentially make a lot of money going that route.

In another article I read about Merriweather, His coach echoed something I wrote about him in another post. His coach said that had Kaevon played 4-5 years in the same program for the same coach he would be a 4-5 star guy. I posit that had Mcdonald not been out his Junior year he would have been a much higher rated guy as well. Of course, then he may not have been available for us to sign late in the game.

why because he's from Georgia?.
Great state champ game, great highlight tape, competition level, and as stated his post season accolades in the highest level of football in a state that produces good talent. I would adjust his rivals ratings to 5.9 if he had played his Junior year in a a similar fashion to his senior year. Another relative sleeper recruit in the system! He will be turning heads at Kinnick and possibly doing so this fall. Ya dig?

Reactions: pink shizzle
Just for fun: which of the current 23 recruits will go in the 2021 draft? I'm calling Riley Moss, Seth Benson, and Merriweather. Only because they are at the bottom of the list when sorting by rank on 247sports. What could be more fitting? And how did Benson fly under the radar? Have you read into this guy?

I really can’t call Plum a sleeper, his list of suitors is too good and even though he looks to be on his way to being an O lineman with weight and development he could play TE at the college level too..

That's a good point. The reason i call him a sleeper is simply that he has to change positions and some think he's a te recruit. And he doesn't seem to get the pub he should.

In the strict sense Merriweather is the real sleeper.

KF has upgraded his staff and improved the recruiting. Last year's class was good and this year's class looks good too. Hopefully it translates into wins.

In another article I read about Merriweather, His coach echoed something I wrote about him in another post. His coach said that had Kaevon played 4-5 years in the same program for the same coach he would be a 4-5 star guy.
Nice info. Merriweather must be a high level athlete who is just on the raw side (due to experience, switching programs, etc). Given Phil's connections to Michigan ... he probably was given the scoop on the young man AND given Iowa's developmental philosophy, Phil's take probably was that Merriweather was high risk and yet very high reward. Phil developed Spievey into one of the best CBs in the Big 10 back in '08 and '09. Spievey was on record stating that he didn't even know how to do a proper back-pedal before coming to Iowa .... because he was a RB-type coming out of high school.

Reactions: Harbinger273
I think the best prospect, when it comes to NFL draft time in 4 or 5 year’s just may be McDonald. I am glad guys like Craddieth, Brents and JOHNSON are Hawks, but SS and FS could be manned by Stone and Hooker for quite awhile.

Fast LBs are coveted these days as offenses open up. Hopeful that Jenkins is another OLine draftee, but I think Aleric and Tristan will be the high profile guys on the OLine for several years. After they both jump early, 2 years from now, (guess) are when Kallenberger and Plumb get their Opportunity at OT.

Just my 2cents.

Also, Stillmunkes has serious speed ( reportedly 4.41) and I always like little guys with speed coming out of the backfield and catching passes. He is the REAL sleeper in this class, because he is a walk-on. Hoping he turns into a poor man’s Darren Sproles. Hell, I hope he becomes a poor man’s Jordan Canzeri. Most of our scholarship RBs, other than IKM are big bruisers. I have my eye on him for the future.

A lot of interesting things in this thread. Gets ya excited about the future.

Didn’t know McDonald missed his jr. That is interesting then defensive player of the year sr year. Could have had a lot more options real excited about him.

Roberts is a very interesting guy to me as well. Where does he end up? A lot of depth in the back end on D. Has the ability to play WR? I’m excited to watch him

Merriweather is another interesting guy with not a lot of football under his belt. Again a lot of depth in the back could he develop into a olb?

I think my favorite guys are McDonald, Tracy, and Johnson. I can see all 3 seeing meaningful time this year.

Brents Craddith are really talented but like pointed out safety might not have an immediate opening for awhile with Hooker and Stone.

Jenkins and Plumb add depth moving forward at oline.

Nixon and Shannon could get in at dt in the near future.

A lot to be excited about. Can’t wait until August.

Reactions: nwhawkincr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT