ADVERTISEMENT

Jethro's... Am I wrong?

ButtersHawk

HR MVP
Nov 23, 2021
GF's sister didn't get great news from the doctor last week so we decided to make the trip from Sioux City to Ankeny to visit her. I have NO family in the DSM area so I never have a reason to go there but since dating my GF and her family has talked up Jethro's a ton and I finally tried last night.

I was NOT impressed in the least bit. I got pulled pork and chicken, my two sides were mashed potatoes and mac n cheese.

I understand that if you are a good cook smoked meats will always be best at home but I honestly didn't think it was much better or any better than Famous Dave's. I am also not a huge fan of Famous Dave's. Am I wrong?

Reactions: stickman80
The guy is as big a piece of trash as his restaurant is. Stay away. Don’t support. Unless you’re trash too I guess.

First two places I lived in DSM area were short walking distance to Jethro's and I don't think my slacktivism would have prevailed during football season at that time. Until I got kicked out for spilling a drink on myself and got banned when I made an ass out of myself in the process of getting kicked out. Then bet your ass I'd be writing the Register.

Edit to add: Knowing what I know, if I were to get kicked out of a Jethro's I'd say I was better behaved than the owner as my final plea before they actually call the cops.

Reactions: Moral
Yes support some leftist liberal jackass. I don’t agree with what he says I think the food sucks. I’ll make sure to not support any liberal business.

Tell GIF by Grease Live

Went there about a decade or so ago. Reminded me of a Famous Dave’s. Not terrible, but not great either.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
The wings with their house bbq rub are legit. Everything else I've had there is pretty average. A step above famous Dave's but far below what you'd get at any number of kc bbq joints. Couldn't care less about his politics, I don't base my dining choices on such stupid things.

Whew. I’m glad you go there. Wouldn’t want you to get all riled up and turn into a bad guy with a gun because a bunch of liberals get you going. I need you on that wall when the government turns on us.

Smoky D’s is the place to go in Des Moines.

It would be better if it was Smoky R’s though!!1!

Baaaahahahahahaha!!!
Smoky D's works for me. Not fantastic but more than workable... a definite upgrade over Famous Daves or Jethro's.

To me the difference between FD and Jethros is hype. FD gets no hype while Jethros get a lot.

When I'm in Jethros its not by choice.....and now with the video of the POS owner it is easy to move friends and family to go elsewhere.

I find all smoked meat to be about the same. I enjoy it but I don’t find any one particular location memorable.

It’s like Mexican food to me. I like it but they are all pretty much the same.

GF's sister didn't get great news from the doctor last week so we decided to make the trip from Sioux City to Ankeny to visit her. I have NO family in the DSM area so I never have a reason to go there but since dating my GF and her family has talked up Jethro's a ton and I finally tried last night.

I was NOT impressed in the least bit. I got pulled pork and chicken, my two sides were mashed potatoes and mac n cheese.

I understand that if you are a good cook smoked meats will always be best at home but I honestly didn't think it was much better or any better than Famous Dave's. I am also not a huge fan of Famous Dave's. Am I wrong?
You are not wrong. Next time get smoky D’s.

Last edited:
Des Moines used to have excellent BBQ when Ike Seymore (Big Daddy) and Ruddy Battle (Battles BBQ) used to push each other to be the best BBQ in DSM.

They served the kind of BBQ you now have to head south to find.

The owner / guy is as big a piece of trash as his restaurant is. Stay away. Don’t support. Unless you’re trash too I guess.

I get what you’re saying but if we boycott every BBQ joint run by a MAGA will there be anywhere get BBQ? seems like a pretty tight correlation and fit of data. At least around here.

Last edited:
So this gentleman has built his restaurant empire to seven different locations even though the food is awful. He is also trashy and stupid but still able to be successful.

He must be the luckiest businessman alive.
We all should be so lucky.

So this gentleman has built his restaurant empire to seven different locations even though the food is awful. He is also trashy and stupid but still able to be successful.

He must be the luckiest businessman alive.
We all should be so lucky.
He has done it with gimmicks and marketing. He is a nut job....not stupid.

I get what you’re saying but if we boycott every BBQ joint run by a MAGA will there be anywhere get BBQ? seems like a pretty tight correlation and fit of data. At least around here.

I boycott most Ioway BBQ just because it’s turrible. Bland Iowayan taste buds and mega portions for fatties is why the ones that are successful here are. The fact that this guy is a Grade A douchebag and lunatic just seals the deal.

I boycott most Ioway BBQ just because it’s turrible. Bland Iowayan taste buds and mega portions for fatties is why the ones that are successful here are. The fact that this guy is a Grade A douchebag and lunatic just seals the deal.
Well, I guess I’m not up on all of that because I almost always just make my own when I’ve got the itch for it. Only exception is when I am with other people who want it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT