ADVERTISEMENT

Why Mother’s Day is the most hated day in the restaurant industry...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
New York
CNN

Mother’s Day is one of the busiest days for the American restaurant industry, presenting a massive operational challenge to restaurants. That’s why it gained a reputation among waiters and restaurant staff as one of the most grueling days on the calendar.

“Every server knows that working on Mother’s Day is hell. In fact, if I die and go to hell, I completely expect it to be Mother’s Day. 365 days a year,” wrote Darron Cardosa, in his book “The Bitchy Waiter: I’m Really Good at Pretending to Care.”

What’s so bad about it? From big groups that show up in waves (“most of us are here!”), to food-fussy kids to splitting the check dramas and coffee-cup lingerers, restaurants hate this holiday. This year is expected to be particularly challenging as high inflation and rising menu prices give some restaurant-goers an extra sense of entitlement.

“The anticipation alone can make you anxious,” said Joe Haley, an abstract artist who works as a server at a Quincy, Massachusetts, Italian-American restaurant. It gets “jam-packed. People are calling at the last minute for a reservation, there are other people who made multiple reservations so Mom could have her pick and they never cancel… people who take out their mother once a year tell you ‘Nothing can go wrong!’” he said.

But it does. With big tables, a few late arrivals can kick a kitchen into chaos. “And every family has at least one black sheep or in-law who can’t be relied upon to save their lives. Mother’s Day: I dread it,” Haley added.

Chefs, servers and owners said that this year guests have set their expectations high: Special occasion meals in a time of rising food prices. In a post-pandemic world, luxury – or rather the appearance of luxury and excess – is “in.” Across the country, customers will get aggravated if their $30 eggs Benedict isn’t dolloped with caviar on Sunday.

Tastes have changed, literally, since Covid, said Chef Art Smith, who has been personal chef to Oprah Winfrey and Jeb Bush. He will be serving hundreds of Mother’s Day meals at his four restaurants including his Homecomin’ at Disney Springs at Walt Disney World.

The people who visit? “They’re drinking more. They want more carbs – If it’s mac and cheese, it has to be the cheesiest. But they want salads, and they want more veg sides, too. They just want more.”

A busy day for restaurants​

The National Retail Federation forecasts that Mother’s Day spending will reach $35.7 billion this year, with a record $5.6 billion alone spent on a meal or outing, up 6% from last year. It’s the second-busiest day in the restaurant business, eclipsed only by Valentine’s Day, according to online reservations site OpenTable.

Mother’s Day presents “an operational challenge,” said Shawn Walchef, owner of five Cali BBQ eateries in the San Diego area. “It’s the busiest day of the year and also the day guests have the highest expectations. He foresees some fuss over tables on the patio – “In Southern California, everyone wants to sit outside.”

For many restaurants, this is the first big holiday since 2019 that hasn’t been overshadowed by the pandemic. “It’s a lot of people getting together who haven’t seen each other in a while,” said owner Binh Douglas, who opened Main Prospect in Southampton, New York, about 18 months ago.

He expects that guests Sunday will be spending about 40% more than usual, and that a third of the adults will add the $19.95 “bottomless mimosa” to their meal. Fortunately, egg and seafood prices have come down in the last few weeks, he said.

Rising prices​

But inflation has left its mark on Mother’s Day brunch. At the Breakers in Palm Beach, Mother’s day brunch in The Circle restaurant is $250 per person (up from $160 in 2019) with unlimited Champagne cocktails and a harpist who goes from table to table.

At the family-packed McLoone’s Boathouse in West Orange, New Jersey, also home to a waterfront buffet, brunch has gone to $54.95 from $49.95 in 2019.

Pricing is touchy. “Your Mother’s Day meal can’t be obnoxiously expensive,” said Derek Axelrod, co-owner of Manhattan’s Upper East Side T bar restaurant. Their Mother’s Day menu will likely be upwards of $100 person, but won’t turn much of a profit, he said. They’re counting on liquor sales to do that. Meanwhile T bar is adding touches like a fois gras, cranberry and chicken parfait to the menu.

Servers and owners are also under pressure to “push the lobster.” Seven different restaurants at the Venetian Resort in Las Vegas are serving Mother’s Day meals that include lobster (The resort’s round-up of all its Mother’s Day menus notes that a subsequent gondola ride is an additional $39).

Ophelia, a rooftop restaurant near the United Nations in New York, solves the “luxury” problem neatly by offering a menu in which Mom gets it all: fried quail egg, lobster, filet mignon, waffles and smoked salmon – but be warned: it’s a $59-per-person presentation of “petite bites.”

In Naples, Florida, the hamburger at the Veranda E restaurant on Sunday will be brought under glass, and a cloud of smoke will rise up as it is uncovered. “That’s new for us,” says owner Mary Brandt, who will have four generations of women from her family at the restaurant.

To maximize profits and seating, chain restaurants are changing, too. Ruth’s Chris Steak House, which has locations in about three-dozen states, is opening several for breakfast or brunch on Mother’s Day; at the Fort Worth location, there will be wild blueberry pancakes. And some Red Lobsters are giving Moms a coupon for 10% off their next meal – even including off the Ultimate Endless Shrimp Feast.

So, book now, and tip your server. Of all holidays, Mother’s Day is considered so stressful for workers that the National Restaurant Association recommends that owners ensure that their servers are “fed and properly hydrated” and should be given a “combat-duty” bonus – especially the mothers on staff who work the shift.

Server Joe Haley, in Quincy, has a better idea: “Why can’t you people just make your Mom breakfast?”

Thankfully, the last thing Mrs. Tradition (no pics) wants to do on Mother's Day is eat at a restaurant.

Wish I could spend it with my mom, but she is no longer with us. She never made a big deal out of the day and treated it like any oSunday. It is strange that a couple of people wished me “happy Mother’s Day”, but I think they were talking about a different type of mother.

My mom is gone too but I never lived up to her expectations. So I mortally fearful of seeing her again once I crank hehe. Awkward!

• Wow
Reactions: ericram
My mom is gone too but I never lived up to her expectations. So I mortally fearful of seeing her again once I crank hehe. Awkward!

You're a doctor/lawyer and didn't live up to her expectations? What did she want you to be?

Everyone should work in the restaurant industry. Then they will know the crap people who work in the industry put up with. Heavens for bid you don’t get your food within two minutes of sitting down.
Or a cop, a teacher, an offense coordinator.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
I thank my lucky stars that I got out of the restaurant world 20 years ago. And yes, Mother's Day is the worst. Valentine's Day is easy since it's nothing but two-tops all night. The kitchen can turn those out super fast and the diners are usually in a hurry to get home and bang. New Year's Eve is hard, but again, guests are anxious to eat and go because they have plans after dinner. Mother's Day is uniquely terrible because that meal is the highlight of the whole day. In fact, it's the one and only time many people go to a "fancy" restaurant where the menu isn't on an illuminated sign behind the cash register. And we have to make mom feel special, so she gets whatever she wants, even if it's not anywhere on the menu. One Mother's Day, a customer insisted on eggplant parmesan for his mother. I explained to the waiter that we couldn't do it since we didn't have extra eggplant, but the customer demanded I come to the table so they could ask me in person. Of course we were slammed, so there was no way I was stepping off the line. Instead, he came back into the kitchen to bitch at me. At that point, I had had enough. I told him that he could not have his eggplant parm and that if he didn't get out of the kitchen immediately, his reservation would be cancelled and no one in his party would be served.
Their order came in and I told the waiter to comp a dessert for any mothers at the table. When things calmed down in the kitchen, I went to the table. I explained to him that it was a major health code violation for him to be in the kitchen, and that if he had asked for the eggplant parm when he made the reservation we could have done it, but all our eggplant was already prepped for other things. As it turns out, his mother was pretty cool about it and wasn't at all upset she couldn't get eggplant. The guy was just a jackass. That's what you get on Mother's Day.

Big storms here in Fort Collins put a damper on this years Mother’s Day for restaurants. We made the trek out to old town still, but there were a number of empty tables that are usually filled otherwise.

Make-your-own subs from grocery store deli meat, cheese and veggies.

Mrs. Tradition (no pics) is a peach.

This is a valid hypothesis
That's for you to decide. Everyone plays something on here.

And everyone has different standards for success and excellence.

Maybe you like to wallow in mediocrity along with the redneck bbq guy. Different strokes for different folks.

That's good. Maybe I'll have to prove my veracity and iq before I make my grand entrance.

At any rate, I have actually met a couple of users on here who are local. They know me and I know them.

That's nice. If you're ever down here in vacationland, DM me.

Reactions: GOHOX69
That's nice. If you're ever down here in vacationland, DM me.
I will. Unlike most of the people on here, I have no reason to lie. Lots of people have imperfect relationships with their parents. My mom and I were close to a point but in some families, like mine, much is expected. Due to health issues at inopportune times, I was unable to fulfill her expectations. That always drove a wedge between us. All in all, it's water under the moat, to use your Manor analogy, because she's gone. That in and off itself is sad but I know plenty of people dying in their 20s, being outlived by their parents, and that has to suck way worse. As you know, life changes once a parent passes, and you just recalibrate. I do it by just working a lot to forget the past.

Reactions: The Tradition
I will. Unlike most of the people on here, I have no reason to lie. Lots of people have imperfect relationships with their parents. My mom and I were close to a point but in some families, like mine, much is expected. Due to health issues at inopportune times, I was unable to fulfill her expectations. That always drove a wedge between us. All in all, it's water under the moat, to use your Manor analogy, because she's gone. That in and off itself is sad but I know plenty of people dying in their 20s, being outlived by their parents, and that has to suck way worse. As you know, life changes once a parent passes, and you just recalibrate. I do it by just working a lot to forget the past.

Yes, we all have complicated lives. You seem like a good dude, regardless of what your mother thought of you.

Yes, we all have complicated lives. You seem like a good dude, regardless of what your mother thought of you.
Thanks man. So are you. I always say, screw politics, we all bleed red. Life is finite, for everyone. If you do make it to Iowa, and I would question your sanity to visit, but if you did, I'd jam an Iowa tenderloin in you. I did that with a YouTube guy I know based in Miami. He now regularly comes to Iowa.

Maybe you like to wallow in mediocrity along with the redneck bbq guy. Different strokes for different folks.
Ok, so catch me up here. You‘re a doctor and a lawyer? Aren’t you the one that bitches about working at the university hospital and that you don’t make enough money or some such? If I’m misremembering my apologies

Ok, so catch me up here. You‘re a doctor and a lawyer? Aren’t you the one that bitches about working at the university hospital and that you don’t make enough money or some such? If I’m misremembering my apologies
I don't work at the University. Rest all is correct.

If we were to distill my bitching, it's more along the lines that the more educated are less better compensated than careers that involve sports or entertainment.

Reactions: spiderland

Big talk for a shallow guy. Lotta talk.

I don't work at the University. Rest all is correct.

If we were to distill my bitching, it's more along the lines that the more educated are less better compensated than careers that involve sports or entertainment.
Ah, got it. But I do have to disagree with you a little bit. Highly educated people who succeed at a high level can make just as much as elite athletes or entertainers. They’re just not in the public eye. JMO

Ah, got it. But I do have to disagree with you a little bit. Highly educated people who succeed at a high level can make just as much as elite athletes or entertainers. They’re just not in the public eye. JMO
You're right but I'd say they are more the exception to the rule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT