ADVERTISEMENT

Jethro's... Am I wrong?

Well, I guess I’m not up on all of that because I almost always just make my own when I’ve got the itch for it. Only exception is when I am with other people who want it.

Good call. I immediately ignore anyone’s advice on all topics that say this sentence: “Jethro’s BBQ is amazing.” And that was before I knew he was a total phuck up.

Reactions: Tenacious E
So this gentleman has built his restaurant empire to seven different locations even though the food is awful. He is also trashy and stupid but still able to be successful.

He must be the luckiest businessman alive.
We all should be so lucky.

It's not that bad imo.

Like most BBQ joints they do some things well, but not everything. I've been to Jack Stacks in KC, which gets pretty strong reviews, but I didn't think it was better than Jethro's. I haven't been to Up In Smoke, but I've heard that's the best BBQ around at the moment

At Jethro's, stay away from the ribs and burnt ends, the brisket Sammy, wings, and sides are all legit and well portioned.

Reactions: nelly02 and Kelsers
Rube’s Steakhouse in Montour. Is the only place I go out of my way to eat at when in Iowa.

Reactions: gojojo
And portions to fill up even the fattest Iowayan. Thats the trick. When this guy comes in from the sticks - give him quadruple portions and a cold Busch Latte and he’s yours forever.

images
And his gimmicks have catered to those interested in quantity not quality.......The Adam Emmeneker. Jumping on his season of fame and offering a reward to down this garbage can sandwich.....

And who do the fatties worship? The professional eating champions. So then the owner hires a female eating champion to come in and tackle his monster sammy.

As I said before....the guy is a nut job....not an idiot.

It's not that bad imo.

Like most BBQ joints they do some things well, but not everything. I've been to Jack Stacks in KC, which gets pretty strong reviews, but I didn't think it was better than Jethro's. I haven't been to Up In Smoke, but I've heard that's the best BBQ around at the moment

At Jethro's, stay away from the ribs and burnt ends, the brisket Sammy, wings, and sides are all legit and well portioned.
Hit Corn Bread in Ames for the best bbq with weighted meat selections for pork shoulder, burnt ends, brisket, turkey, chicken, and sausage. Sides are good.

Up in Smoke has good meats too. Just not as good in CB. Regarding Jethro’s, I’d go with the bone in wings w/ dry rub or boneless wings for their meat selection as the best options.

Smokey D’s has good burnt ends, brisket, and pulled pork. Their mac n cheese is the best in the metro. Really good apple dessert too.

Reactions: swagsurfer02
GF's sister didn't get great news from the doctor last week so we decided to make the trip from Sioux City to Ankeny to visit her. I have NO family in the DSM area so I never have a reason to go there but since dating my GF and her family has talked up Jethro's a ton and I finally tried last night.

I was NOT impressed in the least bit. I got pulled pork and chicken, my two sides were mashed potatoes and mac n cheese.

I understand that if you are a good cook smoked meats will always be best at home but I honestly didn't think it was much better or any better than Famous Dave's. I am also not a huge fan of Famous Dave's. Am I wrong?
I ate there a couple times when I lived in Ankeny. Also was not impressed.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
I get what you’re saying but if we boycott every BBQ joint run by a MAGA will there be anywhere get BBQ? seems like a pretty tight correlation and fit of data. At least around here.
Agreed, I am so over blue-haired non binary 2 spirit people but god damn it they make solid coffee when I'm to lazy to make it myself.

I have been a pretty loyal Jethro-site for years. I’m old and I like it. Bash away. Ribs are always prepped well… the red beans and rice are a reliable fav of mine. Beers cold all the time…Price is reasonable. Friends from KCMo think it’s the best BBQ they have ever eaten…

• Wow
Reactions: EasyHawk
I have been a pretty loyal Jethro-site for years. I’m old and I like it. Bash away. Ribs are always prepped well… the red beans and rice are a reliable fav of mine. Beers cold all the time…Price is reasonable. Friends from KCMo think it’s the best BBQ they have ever eaten…
Then your KC friends haven’t had Jack Stack, Q39, Arthur Bryant’s, Gate’s, or OK Joe’s. All are better than what Jethro’s has to offer.

The wings with their house bbq rub are legit. Everything else I've had there is pretty average. A step above famous Dave's but far below what you'd get at any number of kc bbq joints. Couldn't care less about his politics, I don't base my dining choices on such stupid things.
Burnt end sammy is awesome. Not my favorite unless I want wings with bbq rub.

A friend of mine used to live near the one in I think W. des moines or something. never tried it, he used to tell me to but I never did. BBQ in iowa usually is not good to me since I live 16 minutes from the bbq capital of texas and have all the best right here

I have eaten at the smoky d's about two or three times, the one by the brass armadillo antique mall. not impressed. the chicken fried steak was fair but not great if I recall correctly. side dishes not good.

Smokey Ds all day over Jethros for in the metro. If I am forced to go to Jethros I prefer to go to the one on 22nd for breakfast they have some decent options there or get the wings they have good wings.

Reactions: Tenacious E
It's incredibly mediocre BBQ. The French toast at the one in WDM is decent. Don't go there much, will probably go less now that I know how big of a raging lunatic the owner is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT