ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Svoboda Tulane OC

Very impressive resume a long but solid read with several ties to Midwest and an Iowa native, sign him up!

https://tulanegreenwave.com/staff-directory/jim-svoboda/2700

This part really intrigues me...

What they are saying about Jim Svoboda…
"Jim Svoboda is one of the best coaches I have ever been around. He is masterful in creating situations for offenses to be successful. He is one of the biggest reasons I had the opportunity to play 14 years of professional football. The way he designs plays, the way he thinks, his mentality of attacking teams is just tremendous. I'm so excited for him to be at the Division I level again."

Reactions: Fran-Con-2
You can take the boy out of the big 12 but you can't take the big 12 out of the boy. Or something.
WTH does that even mean? ,,,stop repeating old ESPN babble from 15 years ago. Big12 has 10 teams but they are all competetive as hell...both offensively and defensively (if you haven't paid attention lately, no other conference is that way...certainly not the Big10).

After Monday's game I expect a Big12 team to be Champs. Hope so anyway, TCU lead by best QB in country Max Duggan from my Council Bluff Iowa. Oh what might had been had Iowa paid attention and recruited him.

WTH does that even mean? ,,,stop repeating old ESPN babble from 15 years ago. Big12 has 10 teams but they are all competetive as hell...both offensively and defensively (if you haven't paid attention lately, no other conference is that way...certainly not the Big10).

After Monday's game I expect a Big12 team to be Champs. Hope so anyway, TCU lead by best QB in country Max Duggan from my Council Bluff Iowa. Oh what might had been had Iowa paid attention and recruited him.

You might be the one not paying attention. Dochterman said in a recent article that Iowa was the first to offer Duggan and was hot after him. Iowa's offense wasn't a good fit for him, looks like he made a good choice.

Space Yes GIF by Tim Robinson

According to an Athletic article he actually isn't the OC. His duties were taken away from prior to the start of the season. The TE coach designed their current offense and is the real OC.
so does anyone know the context of this change and this statement?? seems odd tulane brings him in as OC and before he even coaches a game, strips his duties as play caller. doesn't make sense. some shit come to light?

Reactions: Ignored
Very impressive resume a long but solid read with several ties to Midwest and an Iowa native, sign him up!

https://tulanegreenwave.com/staff-directory/jim-svoboda/2700

This part really intrigues me...

What they are saying about Jim Svoboda…
"Jim Svoboda is one of the best coaches I have ever been around. He is masterful in creating situations for offenses to be successful. He is one of the biggest reasons I had the opportunity to play 14 years of professional football. The way he designs plays, the way he thinks, his mentality of attacking teams is just tremendous. I'm so excited for him to be at the Division I level again."
Yeah, but is he better than what we've got?

Outside of the Iowa connections which are numerous, where is the said 'smoke' coming from? What is linking him to this job or to Iowa?
Someone said there was smoke, I’m not saying there is, just don’t get the excitement, other than Brian being gone

Reactions: BigOHawk
So if he wasn't calling plays what was he doing? A lot of people on here think that's the OC's only responsibility.
It sounds like there was a collaborative effort designing the offense, getting the right personnel groupings, etc. but Nagle was just the guy actually calling the plays.

According to the Athletic article, really the main difference between the two was that Svoboda wanted to run an offense centered around outside zone running schemes, and Nagle wanted to run primarily inside zone and gap schemes.

Nagle had been with Tulane since 2016, whereas Svoboda joined this year. The article, and statements from coaches, suggest that Nagle just had a better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the personnel, particularly the strengths of their star running back Tyjae Spears.

I really don't think its an indictment on Svoboda's play-calling ability. More that Nagle had a better command of the personnel and what worked for their team. Tulane was one of the worst offenses in the country last year WITH Nagle on the staff. Svoboda probably deserves some credit in the turn around

Reactions: Bishop1971
So if I'm reading all of this correctly, Svoboda was basically relieved of his OC responsibilities in favor of Nagle and now people here have their hopes up that the defacto fired OC from Tulane will be replacing Brian?
Yes, that's really how far this offense has fallen.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
It sounds like there was a collaborative effort designing the offense, getting the right personnel groupings, etc. but Nagle was just the guy actually calling the plays.

According to the Athletic article, really the main difference between the two was that Svoboda wanted to run an offense centered around outside zone running schemes, and Nagle wanted to run primarily inside zone and gap schemes.

Nagle had been with Tulane since 2016, whereas Svoboda joined this year. The article, and statements from coaches, suggest that Nagle just had a better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the personnel, particularly the strengths of their star running back Tyjae Spears.

I really don't think its an indictment on Svoboda's play-calling ability. More that Nagle had a better command of the personnel and what worked for their team. Tulane was one of the worst offenses in the country last year WITH Nagle on the staff. Svoboda probably deserves some credit in the turn around
Sounds to me that if Iowa is looking for an OC from Tulane it should probably be Nagle.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
We have this whole thread on Svoboda, but is Iowa even interested and in talks with him or is this just some rumor drudged up somewhere by someone who thinks this would be a good fit for Iowa? I don't know anything about this guy, and he probably could not be worse then Brian, however, we all know everyone is a side seat coach these days, so I am just curious as to if this OC is even on the coaching staff's radar, or just a fans? LOL

We have this whole thread on Svoboda, but is Iowa even interested and in talks with him or is this just some rumor drudged up somewhere by someone who thinks this would be a good fit for Iowa? I don't know anything about this guy, and he probably could not be worse then Brian, however, we all know everyone is a side seat coach these days, so I am just curious as to if this OC is even on the coaching staff's radar, or just a fans? LOL
I agree. Let's move on to someone more interesting. Kliff Kingsbury just came available. College Offensive guru. Back up the truck.

or Todd Lickliter. Hiring the wrong coach when the other guy was the brains behind the success.
Or all those Boise State coaches in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Houston Nutt, Dirk Koetter, Dan Hawkins… and the real genius was Chris Petersen.

Reactions: BonzoFury
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT