ADVERTISEMENT

Jobs, jobs, jobs... did anybody mention the jobs report that came out today?

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
guBu6-october-jobs-one-month-net-change.1572613405272.png

The October 2019 employment report showed U.S. companies collectively added way more jobs than expected during the month, as robust gains in leisure and hospitality and persistent strength in health care offset expected softness in manufacturing.

The government reported Friday that payrolls increased by 128,000, easily besting the 75,000 estimate economists polled by Dow Jones had forecast. The unemployment rate ticked up to 3.6%, but held inches away from a 50-year low.

The government also revised September and August jobs numbers significantly higher: August’s initial 168,000 estimate came all the way up to 219,000 while September’s jumped from 136,000 to 180,000.

CNBC studied the net changes by industry for October jobs based on data from the Labor Department contained in the employment report.
The leisure and hospitality industry was by far the strongest during the month of October, adding over 60,000 jobs for the month and outpacing routine employment juggernaut health care and social assistance by more than 25,000.

The Labor Department explained in a press release that much of the upswing in leisure and hospitality came from a surge in hiring at food and beverage establishments, which alone added more than 45,000 jobs for the sector’s best month since January.

“In October, notable job gains occurred in food services and drinking places, social assistance, and financial activities,” the government said in the report. “Employment declined in motor vehicles and parts manufacturing due to strike activity. Federal government employment also was down, reflecting a drop in the number of temporary jobs for the 2020 Census.”

Hiring in the manufacturing sector was soft during the month of October, but economists blamed the abnormally weak reading on a one-time and lengthy strike at General Motors. Manufacturing saw a net loss of -36,000 jobs for the month.

Health care and social assistance — a consistent employment gainer — clinched the No. 2 place in October with a net gain of 34,000 payrolls.

Professional and business services added 22,000 jobs amid gains in management consultant positions, computer system design, and architectural and engineering services.

“The job market is resilient and brought a sigh of relief despite a quadruple whammy of labor shortages, the trade war, diminishing effects of the tax cut and slowing global economy,” wrote Sung Won Sohn, professor of finance and economics at Loyola Marymount University and president of SS Economics.

“Manufacturing shed 36,000 jobs, but would have shown a slight increase without the GM strike,” he added. “Manufacturing is a small percentage of total employment, but has a large spillover effect throughout the economy.”

Retail trade, which has lately posted a string of losses, managed to hold steady and even add a small number of jobs to help offset net losses for the year. Retailers added 6,100 jobs.

The government, which added a slew of temporary workers a couple of months ago to help with the 2020 census, saw net payrolls fall by 3,000 in October.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/01/heres-where-the-jobs-are-for-october-2019-in-one-chart.html

Trump is the JOBS president. YOU'RE HIRED, America!

guBu6-october-jobs-one-month-net-change.1572613405272.png

The October 2019 employment report showed U.S. companies collectively added way more jobs than expected during the month, as robust gains in leisure and hospitality and persistent strength in health care offset expected softness in manufacturing.

The government reported Friday that payrolls increased by 128,000, easily besting the 75,000 estimate economists polled by Dow Jones had forecast. The unemployment rate ticked up to 3.6%, but held inches away from a 50-year low.

The government also revised September and August jobs numbers significantly higher: August’s initial 168,000 estimate came all the way up to 219,000 while September’s jumped from 136,000 to 180,000.

CNBC studied the net changes by industry for October jobs based on data from the Labor Department contained in the employment report.
The leisure and hospitality industry was by far the strongest during the month of October, adding over 60,000 jobs for the month and outpacing routine employment juggernaut health care and social assistance by more than 25,000.

The Labor Department explained in a press release that much of the upswing in leisure and hospitality came from a surge in hiring at food and beverage establishments, which alone added more than 45,000 jobs for the sector’s best month since January.

“In October, notable job gains occurred in food services and drinking places, social assistance, and financial activities,” the government said in the report. “Employment declined in motor vehicles and parts manufacturing due to strike activity. Federal government employment also was down, reflecting a drop in the number of temporary jobs for the 2020 Census.”

Hiring in the manufacturing sector was soft during the month of October, but economists blamed the abnormally weak reading on a one-time and lengthy strike at General Motors. Manufacturing saw a net loss of -36,000 jobs for the month.

Health care and social assistance — a consistent employment gainer — clinched the No. 2 place in October with a net gain of 34,000 payrolls.

Professional and business services added 22,000 jobs amid gains in management consultant positions, computer system design, and architectural and engineering services.

“The job market is resilient and brought a sigh of relief despite a quadruple whammy of labor shortages, the trade war, diminishing effects of the tax cut and slowing global economy,” wrote Sung Won Sohn, professor of finance and economics at Loyola Marymount University and president of SS Economics.

“Manufacturing shed 36,000 jobs, but would have shown a slight increase without the GM strike,” he added. “Manufacturing is a small percentage of total employment, but has a large spillover effect throughout the economy.”

Retail trade, which has lately posted a string of losses, managed to hold steady and even add a small number of jobs to help offset net losses for the year. Retailers added 6,100 jobs.

The government, which added a slew of temporary workers a couple of months ago to help with the 2020 census, saw net payrolls fall by 3,000 in October.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/01/heres-where-the-jobs-are-for-october-2019-in-one-chart.html

Trump is the JOBS president. YOU'RE HIRED, America!

I guess that means it’s ok to sell our Allies and American interest to Russia then.

Another lie Barack Hussein sold you about jobs not ever coming back to America.

Keep drinking the Kool Aid you liberal lemmings.

Well, I see Manufacturing jobs are roaring back - just like Trump promised. :rolleyes:

Well, I see someone didn't read the article.

Well, I see someone didn't read the article.

Huh. I wonder why they are on strike. Wages and benefits too high?

With other Presidents at the helm. that would be referred to as an "excuse".

Everybody seems to be well aware that I travel for work and yet, they say crap like, "well, maybe that's what the labor market is doing in YOUR town."

My thought was that your companies raising wages doesn’t mean it is the norm. It would be the same as if my company was continuously hiring and growing business and then say the GDP growth of 1.9 is a lie.

Reactions: cigaretteman
My thought was that your companies raising wages doesn’t mean it is the norm. It would be the same as if my company was continuously hiring and growing business and then say the GDP growth of 1.9 is a lie.

Two different subjects. In response to "wage stagnation" that is not happening in my locations. Some locations are seeing more upward pressure on wages than others, but it's pretty tough out there for the guy signing the paychecks overall.

Two different subjects. In response to "wage stagnation" that is not happening in my locations. Some locations are seeing more upward pressure on wages than others, but it's pretty tough out there for the guy signing the paychecks overall.

Just because it isn’t happening in your location doesn’t mean there isn’t overall stagnation which is what I have been trying to get you to realize for entirely too long

Just because it isn’t happening in your location doesn’t mean there isn’t overall stagnation which is what I have been trying to get you to realize for entirely too long

But there's not any stagnation anymore. You're relying on old news.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/02/business/economy/wage-growth-economy.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/13/wor...e-getting-most-benefit-from-rising-wages.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/wages-...-decade-as-hiring-jumps-in-october-1541161920

It's more likely the problems in manufacturing are due to uncertainty from Companies to expand because of restrictions to legal immigration and the ongoing trade dispute.

Would you expand your corporation with the tepid outlook for increasing costs of supplies and materials? R&D are suffering.

If this economy and jobs market was so fantastic... the Fed wouldn't have lowered interest rates three times in 5 months.

The economy is being held together with duct tape and baling wire.

It's more likely the problems in manufacturing are due to uncertainty from Companies to expand because of restrictions to legal immigration and the ongoing trade dispute.

Would you expand your corporation with the tepid outlook for increasing costs of supplies and materials? R&D are suffering.

If this economy and jobs market was so fantastic... the Fed wouldn't have lowered interest rates three times in 5 months.

Well I don’t why we should believe people like you who said the market and economy were going to collapse when Trump took office.

Reactions: The Tradition
Well I don’t why we should believe people like you who said the market and economy were going to collapse when Trump took office.
Trump is holding the economy back, not pushing it forward. His tax reform for the wealthy went to stock buybacks and the pockets of executives.

And coal.................:rolleyes:

Duct tape and baling wire factory workers must be rejoicing, right?

Reactions: The Tradition
UPS is set to hire 100,000 seasonal workers. That means the middle class has extra cash to spend for Christmas.

Is that the real number or the made up one?

Because whenever there was good jobs report under Obama, all we heard was that wasn’t the “real” jobs report.

And yeah I’m more concerned about wages.

Reactions: lucas80
Is that the real number or the made up one?

Because whenever there was good jobs report under Obama, all we heard was that wasn’t the “real” jobs report.

And yeah I’m more concerned about wages.
When a Democrat is president all Democrats will say look at the job numbers aren't we awesome. Republican say well what about the real jobs report number.

When a Republican is president all the Republicans say look at the job numbers aren't we awesome. Democrats will say or well what about the real jobs report number.

This vicious circle has been going on as long as I can remember.

Is everything lost on you?
Just the stuff that is dependent on facts, ethics, rule of law, or common decency.
He’s pretty good at rating hotel breakfast buffets, singers I’ve never heard of, bad football, and weed. That’s enough to keep him around I suppose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT