ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Mauer

minnesota twins GIF by MLB

My favorite Twin of all time. Congrats on the Hall of Fame Joe! Amazing talent. Well deserved!
Well deserved but he is 4th or 5th Puckett Carew and Killebrew (3,2,1) and then Olivia and Joe are a toss up. I have a signed ball from the 2006 team. Thought for sure would have 2 hall of famers, and possibly 6 if careers broke right, alas only 1. Mauer, Morneau, Santana, Liriano, Nathan and Hunter. Hunter needed 1-2 more seasons. Santana health just collapsed, Morneau and Nathan would be in the hall of very good but not the hall of fame.

Last edited:
Well deserved but he is 4th or 5th Puckett and Killebrew and the Olivia and Joe are a toss up. I have a signed ball from the 2006 team. Thought for sure would have 2 hall of famers, and possibly 6 if careers broke right, alas only 1. Mauer, Morneau, Santana, Liriano, Nathan and Hunter. Hunter needed 1-2 more seasons. Santana health just collapsed, Morneau and Nathan would be in the hall of very good but not the hall of fame.
I'm 39 so I grew up along with Joe. That's probably why he is my favorite. 15 years as a Twin always made me proud. I loved Morneau aswell but he was Canadian and moved teams. Those guys were killers together!

I'm 39 so I grew up along with Joe. That's probably why he is my favorite. 15 years as a Twin always made me proud. I loved Morneau aswell but he was Canadian and moved teams. Those guys were killers together!
I’m 41, remember sneaking in the hallway and watching the last innings of 1991 World Series With Puckett. Not the greatest guy afterward but a hell of a player.

Seems like a wasted career. Zero post season success. Pohlads don’t care about winning. Get a player to sell tickets and good enough.

I got to see him play a few games for the QC River Bandits as he was making his way up the minor leagues. Could tell even then he would be a special talent. Congrats to Joe!

Definitely a wasted career. Dude would have won another championship with Greg Jones, Anquan Boldin and Cro in 2002.
The guy is entering the Major League Baseball hall of fame in Cooperstown at 40 years old and you guys are saying he had a wasted career. 🙄

Reactions: seminoleed
Man…these types of things always make me feel the years…if you would have just asked me I might have thought the dude was still playing…

He was a stud QB in high school if I remember right.
You are correct--stud enough to commit to FSU before opting for a baseball career. His 2 year football stats are gaudy.

I think he played all 3 sports at the same HS as Paul Molitor?

Reactions: WildTurk
Well deserved. One of the purist hitters of all time.

But I do take exception with him on a couple things. 1) I watched him take too many walks. Runner is on second and he'd work for a walk. Then a double play would happen. I felt like, as good of a hitter as he was, he could've drove a ball to right field and push the runner. He took the walk to keep his batting averages up. 2) Later in his career he used the hometown boy/retire a Twin thing to his advantage. His salary was so big it took 1/3 of the Twins budget. His productivity was falling off. The Twins suffered with keeping talent around because the budget that was used up on him.

Now I have no problem with him getting paid and don't blame him for it. But everyone always say he was such a team player. But he let his huge salary keep good players from staying or signing with the team. I get it that people would buy tickets to watch him, but if you look at the attendance for his final 3-4 years it was down. They were mediocre at best. I feel he cost the club years of being competitive by being selfish.

Once again, one of the best players of modern baseball. Totally deserving of all he got and getting in the HOF.

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
Well deserved. One of the purist hitters of all time.

But I do take exception with him on a couple things. 1) I watched him take too many walks. Runner is on second and he'd work for a walk. Then a double play would happen. I felt like, as good of a hitter as he was, he could've drove a ball to right field and push the runner. He took the walk to keep his batting averages up. 2) Later in his career he used the hometown boy/retire a Twin thing to his advantage. His salary was so big it took 1/3 of the Twins budget. His productivity was falling off. The Twins suffered with keeping talent around because the budget that was used up on him.

Now I have no problem with him getting paid and don't blame him for it. But everyone always say he was such a team player. But he let his huge salary keep good players from staying or signing with the team. I get it that people would buy tickets to watch him, but if you look at the attendance for his final 3-4 years it was down. They were mediocre at best. I feel he cost the club years of being competitive by being selfish.

Once again, one of the best players of modern baseball. Totally deserving of all he got and getting in the HOF.
I would have to agree. Plus once he was moved to first base he was not putting up the numbers that a highly paid first basemen should be putting up.

I was also a bit disappointed he never developed much of a long ball like I thought he would after he was in the league for a few years. It was either a single or a walk for him.

I would have to agree. Plus once he was moved to first base he was not putting up the numbers that a highly paid first basemen should be putting up.

I was also a bit disappointed he never developed much of a long ball like I thought he would after he was in the league for a few years. It was either a single or a walk for him.
It was about batting averages for him. He made a damn good living at it. I applaud him for that.

He reminded me of Chipper Jones. One of the greatest players, but could never stay healthy.

I hated it when he went to first. He always got a day off in a series. But got paid a lot of money to sit the bench 1/3 of the season.

The guy is entering the Major League Baseball hall of fame in Cooperstown at 40 years old and you guys are saying he had a wasted career. 🙄

If this were the 1930’s, these baseball accomplishments would matter. Baseball is akin to horse racing and boxing, something that was big a long time ago but is inconsequential today. Mauer should have have maximized his talent by playing football and winning a championship at FSU despite having Jeffy Bowden calling plays. Had he done that and then continued the success in the NFL, everyone would be talking about him and not Tom Brady as the best player of the past two decades. Now only people in Minnesota and people who followed FSU football recruiting around 20 years ago know who he is.

If this were the 1930’s, these baseball accomplishments would matter. Baseball is akin to horse racing and boxing, something that was big a long time ago but is inconsequential today. Mauer should have have maximized his talent by playing football and winning a championship at FSU despite having Jeffy Bowden calling plays. Had he done that and then continued the success in the NFL, everyone would be talking about him and not Tom Brady as the best player of the past two decades. Now only people in Minnesota and people who followed FSU football recruiting around 20 years ago know who he is.
He made $200 million playing baseball. His dream was to play for the Twins. If anyone else had drafted him, he would have gone to FSU.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
I don’t think he was ever going to the NFL, because of the pay at the time. There was a chance that he’d do the Charlie Ward track, but with baseball. He flat out told our coaches he was going to the Twins if taken at one.

Bobby was pretty good about two-sport athletes. Steve Spurrier turned away Jonathan Ogden, because Ogden wanted to do T&F.

Doesn't remotely belong in the HOF. Had one great year and 2 other very good years.

Plus he spent the last 5 years at 1B where he was below average, at best.

P.S. I like Joe Mauer... great contact hitter, but no all time great.
Yeah, I tend to agree. This does help Posey’s case.

Doesn't remotely belong in the HOF. Had one great year and 2 other very good years.

Plus he spent the last 5 years at 1B where he was below average, at best.

P.S. I like Joe Mauer... great contact hitter, but no all time great.
He 100% belongs in the HOF. You are high if you think otherwise

He 100% belongs in the HOF. You are high if you think otherwise
I think he’s a fringe great player. If you look at the catchers that went in right ahead of him, and the guys behind him like Molina, there is a difference.

Mauer was basically Joe Torre as a player.

Last edited:
Reactions: dgordo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT