ADVERTISEMENT

Joe T gone

I will miss JoeT and I think he was an above average player for B1G, someone we didn't want to lose.
Look, I like Joe and don't like to be put in the position of saying negative things about him, but if you were to ask opposing players and coaches which Iowa players you would hope to be gone next season, Joe's name would not come up until late in the conversation.

Look, I like Joe and don't like to be put in the position of saying negative things about him, but if you were to ask opposing players and coaches which Iowa players you would hope to be gone next season, Joe's name would not come up until late in the conversation.
Just sticking with the BT, don’t really think Joey T would start on 90% of the teams. Maybe Minny or Nebbie? He definitely would find a role/niche on most BT teams though…😎

Just sticking with the BT, don’t really think Joey T would start on 90% of the teams. Maybe Minny or Nebbie? He definitely would find a role/niche on most BT teams though…😎
Joe fit's just about any system, he doesn't fit a system that doesn't value defense and offensively sets more screens away from the ball than on it, that's most teams. He would be fine pretty much everywhere.
I''m sure if given some leash he would be a capable 3pt shooter.

Joe fit's just about any system, he doesn't fit a system that doesn't value defense and offensively sets more screens away from the ball than on it, that's most teams. He would be fine pretty much everywhere.
I''m sure if given some leash he would be a capable 3pt shooter.

I like Joe, but your idea of capable is different than mine. Joe has not shot over 30% from three in his first three years at Iowa and his percentage has dropped each year to 26% last year. Ahron and Tony both shot around 33% last year. Even Connor shot 34% for last season.

I've been a big fan of Joe T. Hope he finds a great place to play. It was pretty clear that Fran really didn't trust Joe enough at pg. He would get lots of chances but a mistake with the ball would get him the bench fairly quickly and Fran would turn to a more reliable less dynamic option to handle the ball like Jbo or Connor. Not saying that is good or bad on Fran's part, just a reflection of what he valued the most.

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
I like Joe, but your idea of capable is different than mine. Joe has not shot over 30% from three in his first three years at Iowa. Ahron and Tony both shot around 33% last year. Even Connor shot 34% for last season.
Connor got hot for a couple games with no one guarding him.
If you are joe and you have little idea what it takes to yank you out of a game, you shoot tight. it's hard to shoot knowing you have to make the shot on your first or second attempt. So let's not act like we know how he'd do given a coherent substitution pattern.

You know who never had to worry about that, Connor. Heck fran said Josh Oglesby was one of the best shooters he'd ever seen and he's a minnesota away from being joe.

Connor got hot for a couple games with no one guarding him.
If you are joe and you have little idea what it takes to yank you out of a game, you shoot tight. it's hard to shoot knowing you have to make the shot on your first or second attempt. So let's not act like we know how he'd do given a coherent substitution pattern.

You know who never had to worry about that, Connor. Heck fran said Josh Oglesby was one of the best shooters he'd ever seen and he's a minnesota away from being joe.

Who was guarding Joe at the 3 point line? You can make excuses all you want, but the numbers do not lie.

Reactions: FanOHawk
I will miss Joe T., he had a lot of moxie and was an extremely tough kid. That being said, he was not the difference maker I had hoped he would be for the Hawks this season and in a way his shooting and offensive contributions regressed. I think he led the team in head scratching moments as well, my last impression of him is him running over the Richmond player that was harassing him defensively at the time.

I wish him the very best wherever he lands.

Here's the question: are we really average? what is average? what is success?
After looking at all power 5, big east, and a10 coaches (2 non power 5 that play at a high level) that have been at their schools as long as fran (or within a year). Not counting coach K or Boeheim.
There are 16 coaches that fit that mold. drew/baylor, boyle/colorado, brownell/clemson, mcdermott/creighton, mcillop/davidson, hamilton/fsu, fran/iowa, larriniega/miami, altman/oregon, brey/ND, cooley/providence, painter/purdue, mooney/richmond, schmidt/st.bonnie, einfeld/usc, bennett/virginia.

Of those 16 only schmidt from st. Boneventure, Brownell/clemson and Boyle/colorado have not made the sweet 16. I think Brownell has dabo's success to thank for his job
What exactly has he "done" at Iowa except produce no sweet 16 teams, have a bunch of transfers almost every year, consistently losing to worse seeds in the tourney, waste a bunch of ALL-Americans/Big Ten first teamers, lose double digit games every year, produce 0 conference regular season titles, win one BTT? Oh wait thats right his biggest accomplishment is not being Alford or worse Lick. How long does he get to use that?

• Angry
Reactions: PIEPI and DewHawk
What exactly has he "done" at Iowa except produce no sweet 16 teams, have a bunch of transfers almost every year, consistently losing to worse seeds in the tourney, waste a bunch of ALL-Americans/Big Ten first teamers, lose double digit games every year, produce 0 conference regular season titles, win one BTT? Oh wait thats right his biggest accomplishment is not being Alford or worse Lick. How long does he get to use that?
I would say at least 5 more years. Next question. 🤓

St. John's would make sense for Joe.
Hometown school that is power 5.
Xavier, St. John's, Cincinnati, Oklahoma State, Ohio, Rhode Island, Florida Gulf Coast are schools he has stated that have had contact with him.

Joe T visits WVU this weekend. Other schools that are pursuing him are St. John's, Xavier, Maryland, Oklahoma State, Cincinnati, Nevada, Ohio, Rhode Island, Florida Gulf Coast, and several others per Mountaineer Maven.

Hope he does not end up at Maryland because he will more than likely have career games versus Iowa IMO.

I'm a Joe T fan for the most part - he did make some head-scratching plays but also a lot of great plays.

But, if guards win championships, he's not the guy. Problem is, I don't think "the guy" is on the roster at PG.

Yep. There were a lot of things I liked about Joe, but he didn’t move the needle in comparison to other Fran pgs. And that’s really where we’re still at in the Fran era: waiting on a difference maker at pg.
12 years and still waiting.

Sounds like it is indeed WV....

WV called him a 5 star transfer. Really?

Last edited:
Okay. What players? What coaches?

WV called him a 5 star transfer. Really?

& 10th best available portal player? Uh….based on who’s evaluation?🤔

Congratulations to Joe! He was a great Hawk and I wish him nothing, but the best at WVU and all of the rest of his stops on his life journey. Love to follow him and see him be successful.

ADVERTISEMENT