ADVERTISEMENT

Joe T gone

I love Joe T and I agree at times he was very very exciting. I thought he was the x-factor last year and this year for this team because of his ability to stop the dribble-drive. But, in the end for exciting as he was, his positives did not outweigh his mistakes consistently.
You could put together a highlight reel of Joe T's best 25 assists and JoBo's best assist in 6 years wouldn't crack the list. Difference between aggressiveness and passiveness.
Now do top 25 shots.

Now do top 25 shots.

Or do game winners………

The guy with the most game winners/buzzer beaters in an Iowa uniform (during my lifetime) is considered too passive. The most made threes in an Iowa game and B1G history, isn’t aggressive enough?

Reactions: Ronman
This sucks for everyone complaining what JoeT wasn't lets not forget what he was. A quick pg, who pushed the ball and played great D on the other teams guards. Why some ask why some Iowa fans love Joe so much is because we went years without having a guard that possessed these traits and watched for years the other teams PGs blow past our guards. I always wondered if CJ announced his transfer sooner and Jbo announced he was coming back last year this time would that have influenced JoeT to leave a year sooner?

All I know Fran needs to embrace the portal. Try and get some impact guys not role guys. Few times we've dipped our toes in we got Evelyn and Rebraca who have been good additions fill needs on the roster for depth. However look at guys we've lost starters with Nunge, CJ and JoeT. Fran needs to go out and do what ISU did and get a guy like Brockington. ISU doesn't come close to making the tourney without him. We need someone who can be one of our top 3 scorers next year (yes I know easier said then done) but point is Fran needs to start casting his line going after some big fish for once.

Did Fran try much Perkins and Toussaint this year? The reason I say this, is because I believe Perkins was just as much of a reason that Iowa finished well, rather than Bohannon.

One also has to wonder what Rebraca, Murray, Murray, Perkins and Toussaint would have looked like if they were named starters from day one.
YES, perkins won a few games...like at Nebraska. JoeT also won some games with his defense an let us not forget he hit game winner vs Virginia, which was key win.

I will miss JoeT and I think he was an above average player for B1G, someone we didn't want to lose.

Yeah, I think JoeT could have played al lot more and MAYBE enough to keep him happy. JBO certainly helped the offense, but got abused on defense, so it really is unclear that JBO was key to the Iowa streak....JBO could have done a lot of that scoring coming off the bench for 15-20 min per game and keeping Joet at closer to 20 min.

I do think this transfer was consequence of Fran going back on his word....he had told ulis and JoeT that it was their team to run, and JBO was going to play shooting guard.. To close every game crunch time, it was always JBO and CMAC. If I was JoeT, I would not trust Fran to play me my senior year.

Fran has been averaging around 1.5 out-transfers of recruited players per year for last 5 years....all of them were originally out of state recruits. If I had to guess, I thought it would be JoeT or Ulis this spring.....we could still lose Ulis, especially if CMAC returns.

The roster composition next season and the fact he has started many games in his career to date.

Your love for Fran is blinding you it is amazing how so many fans think Fran never makes a mistake and never mis-manages playing time/treatment of any of his players, and that CMAC/PMAC did not get special treatment.

Fran basically lied to the kid, brought back JBO as 2guard, then moved JBO back over to PG and sat JoeT on the bench...there were games JoeT only played a few minutes, and games where he played great in 1st half and barely saw minutes in 2nd half. He was misused if Fran's goal was to keep him...

I will miss JoeT because he put more effort on defense than anyone on the team. Ulis is probably 2nd, so maybe Fran made the decision it was okay to potentially lose one and play JBO big minutes at PG.

Hopefully losing JoeT is it for off season portal losses.....I don't have much hope for a meaningful portal recruit just because Fran hasn't shown either an inclination or skill to bring in much so far.

same rating as Joe, twice the offers, maybe a little more under control
and a complete unknown...

I hope Bowen comes in as a freshman and is immediately an impact player. That's typically not the way it works for freshman point guards in the Big Ten, though. There will be some growing pains.

People are putting a lot of expectations on Bowen being the PG starter and playing big minutes. A player of the year like Keegan Murray didn't even get big minutes as a freshman. I'd say temper your expectations and hope Perkins and Ulis make great strides in the off-season. I think you're going to see a lot of them next year.

This doesn't have to be anyone's "fault".

Would have liked him to stay, but that's how college basketball works today. Joe is a very talented player, but I don't think he ran the team very well from the PG position, and I think that is the primary reason is playing time was limited.

Good player, seems like a good guy. Hope he finds a fit and does well.

Last edited:
Hate to lose Joe..good luck to him.
As for his minutes this year, Fran started him for 2/3rds of the season...Fran did not mislead him.
It was his team for much of the year which left us sitting at 4-6 in the league on Feb 1.
Fran assessed our performance and made a change(which his critics had been screaming for)
and the Hawks rip off a 12-2 run.
Not saying that benching Joe was the only factor in that run but clearly something clicked when he came off the bench rather than starting.
Joe was a great teammate who did not bitch about his demotion...wish him success ..he has talent.

This doesn't have to be anyone's "fault".

Would have liked him to stay, but that's how college basketball works today. Joe is a very talented player, but I don't think he ran the team very well from the PG position, and I think that is the primary reason is playing time was limited.

Good player, seems like a good guy. Hope he finds a fit and does well.
Doesn't have to be anyone's fault, but it was 100% Fran's fault.

Our offense isn't top 5 in the country solely off of transition O. Fran actually runs really good stuff, but you're right we do run a lot of off-ball screens rather than solely PnR stuff.
Fran benched Joe for 2 reasons: 1) Jordan was getting eaten alive by bigger 2 guard defenders and unable to find his rhythm shooting without being the primary ball handler. 2) The offense kept stalling because Joe would hesitate to make the crisp, ball reversal passes that Fran's offense is designed around. I went back and watched the Penn St game after the lineup switch was announced and I probably counted 5 or 6 times where the offense just stagnated because Joe was dribbling around the perimeter instead of reversing the ball.
I loved Joe as a Hawk, he was a great change of pace energy guy off the bench. We will absolutely miss his ball hawk defense on the digs and doubles to opposing Big men. I hope Ulis works on his jumper that I know is somewhere in there and that Bowen is ready to contribute on day 1.
Thanks for actually talking basketball.
I agree that Fran is a great offensive mind but he has never found a capable shooter off of screens. Joe W was close but the rest have been poor at best. Fran needs a guy like sasha stefanovich that can shoot coming off screens at a fast pace. There was a reason jbo couldn't get shots off against good defenders and that's because we don't shoot off screens well. Change that and maybe jbo gets more open looks.
AS far as transition offense. Look at teams that give Iowa fits, they get back on defense and limit transition points. Richmond did just that, they gave up on offensive rebounds to stop transition, t worked for the most part.

Over the years of watching sports, I have those "favorite" players that aren't necessarily the best player on the team but someone I almost root for a little more. Joe is one of those. Jarryd Cole was one. Tevaun Smith and Brandon Smith on the football side. Many others but those off the top of my head.
I am a big Joe T fan, and the way he performed and acted after being demoted and seeing less than 15 minutes a game the second half of the year is why. That dude could have pouted and been done. he came in and made an impact, was smiling and into the game on the bench and I will root for him wherever he goes.

As others have said, Joey T was a hard working, great teammate who will be missed. He was a 3 star HS with not a lot of top tier programs courting him, so I think most were hoping Fran found a diamond in the rough (see Murray Twins). At the end of the day, he is just not that elite PG that seems to dodge a program like Iowa every year. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Anthony Clemons…

Reactions: shudaddy
As others have said, Joey T was a hard working, great teammate who will be missed. He was a 3 star HS with not a lot of top tier programs courting him, so I think most were hoping Fran found a diamond in the rough (see Murray Twins). At the end of the day, he is just not that elite PG that seems to dodge a program like Iowa every year. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Anthony Clemons…
Clemmons found a dependable perimeter shot his senior year. That's exactly what I was hoping for this upcoming season out of JT and/or Ulis. Hopefully Ulis makes it happen.

Your love for Fran is blinding you it is amazing how so many fans think Fran never makes a mistake and never mis-manages playing time/treatment of any of his players, and that CMAC/PMAC did not get special treatment.

Fran basically lied to the kid, brought back JBO as 2guard, then moved JBO back over to PG and sat JoeT on the bench...there were games JoeT only played a few minutes, and games where he played great in 1st half and barely saw minutes in 2nd half. He was misused if Fran's goal was to keep him...

I will miss JoeT because he put more effort on defense than anyone on the team. Ulis is probably 2nd, so maybe Fran made the decision it was okay to potentially lose one and play JBO big minutes at PG.

Hopefully losing JoeT is it for off season portal losses.....I don't have much hope for a meaningful portal recruit just because Fran hasn't shown either an inclination or skill to bring in much so far.
Personally I don't have any special love for Fran, though I do appreciate the job he's doing at Iowa and wish more would do the same. We are average/front-running basketball fans who only fill the gym for goldilocks games (7pm tip on weekday against a name team, or weekend game), in a not-so-good recruiting location, with wholly mediocre facilities.

Of course Fran makes plenty of mistakes, but I don't think he gives special treatment to his sons. He wants to win, period. Connor only averaged 17 minutes per game this year, it's not like he was running out there all game. PMac got 24 minutes, and statistically filled the stat sheet solidly this year. Yes, he takes terrible runners/fadeaways and looks skinny, but he helps us win games.

As to other mismanagement of players, I imagine every coach faces this criticism. I don't always agree with his lineups but he's not perfect, shit happens in game speed.

His use of the portal has been what you'd expect out of Iowa. Bakari and Rebraca have given us a lift at times and have filled roster needs. To expect Iowa to score a big time player when being recruited by the entire country is asking a lot given the state of our program.

And expect to lose another player or two this off-season. That's how it goes these days.
Go Hawks.

I was a fan of Joe's. I loved his attitude and his hustle. I thought after the end of his Freshman year with his improved shooting, he was finally rounding into the PG we were looking for. But, in the end, Joe's feet were always travelling a few mph faster than his brain. Nevertheless, I'm sorry to see him go and wish him well at his next stop.

Its Frans fault that for two straight years he was misused. Arguably most valuable player on the court vs purdue then plays 13 min vs richmond while connor plays 25 min of scoreless ball? A freakin joke
Just…no

Thanks for actually talking basketball.
I agree that Fran is a great offensive mind but he has never found a capable shooter off of screens. Joe W was close but the rest have been poor at best. Fran needs a guy like sasha stefanovich that can shoot coming off screens at a fast pace. There was a reason jbo couldn't get shots off against good defenders and that's because we don't shoot off screens well. Change that and maybe jbo gets more open looks.
AS far as transition offense. Look at teams that give Iowa fits, they get back on defense and limit transition points. Richmond did just that, they gave up on offensive rebounds to stop transition, t worked for the most part.
Sandfort 2022-2023

Personally I don't have any special love for Fran, though I do appreciate the job he's doing at Iowa and wish more would do the same. We are average/front-running basketball fans who only fill the gym for goldilocks games (7pm tip on weekday against a name team, or weekend game), in a not-so-good recruiting location, with wholly mediocre facilities.

Of course Fran makes plenty of mistakes, but I don't think he gives special treatment to his sons. He wants to win, period. Connor only averaged 17 minutes per game this year, it's not like he was running out there all game. PMac got 24 minutes, and statistically filled the stat sheet solidly this year. Yes, he takes terrible runners/fadeaways and looks skinny, but he helps us win games.

As to other mismanagement of players, I imagine every coach faces this criticism. I don't always agree with his lineups but he's not perfect, shit happens in game speed.

His use of the portal has been what you'd expect out of Iowa. Bakari and Rebraca have given us a lift at times and have filled roster needs. To expect Iowa to score a big time player when being recruited by the entire country is asking a lot given the state of our program.

And expect to lose another player or two this off-season. That's how it goes these days.
Go Hawks.
Here's the question: are we really average? what is average? what is success?
After looking at all power 5, big east, and a10 coaches (2 non power 5 that play at a high level) that have been at their schools as long as fran (or within a year). Not counting coach K or Boeheim.
There are 16 coaches that fit that mold. drew/baylor, boyle/colorado, brownell/clemson, mcdermott/creighton, mcillop/davidson, hamilton/fsu, fran/iowa, larriniega/miami, altman/oregon, brey/ND, cooley/providence, painter/purdue, mooney/richmond, schmidt/st.bonnie, einfeld/usc, bennett/virginia.

Of those 16 only schmidt from st. Boneventure, Brownell/clemson and Boyle/colorado have not made the sweet 16. I think Brownell has dabo's success to thank for his job

I don't know how/where that's calculated. Joe averaged 3.2 assists per game in 17.4 minutes. Double his minutes and that works out to 6.4. Number 10 nationally was 5.8.
Do you really not remember what occurred when McCaffery made the change and benched Joe? And you're saying instead, Joe should have played double the minutes? Do you really think Joe should have been playing 35 minutes a game just so he could have padded his stats?

• Haha
Reactions: jonesy5960
And got blasted by other posters for doing so.

You could just see it coming throughout the year
As another poster stated, I really thought maybe Ulis would be transferring. He hardly got enough minutes to prove whether he could excel at this level or not. If his shooting had been better, he might have made a difference, but as it was, he spent a lot of time on the bench.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Do you really not remember what occurred when McCaffery made the change and benched Joe? And you're saying instead, Joe should have played double the minutes? Do you really think Joe should have been playing 35 minutes a game just so he could have padded his stats?
Take a pill. You sound like your boyfriend Truth reading things that aren’t there. . Someone stated that Joe was 96th in the nation in assists and 9th in steals. People tend to forget that statistics are a function of minutes played as well as player performance. I responded that Joe's statistics were derived from only 17 minutes of play. A lot of point guards play 30+ and it's likely Joe would have placed very highly in those categories had he played similar minutes.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT