ADVERTISEMENT

Joe W is the best player on the team

Joe W stepping forward helps Moss a ton I think. Moss is a guy that I think can be most effective as a third, sort of complimentary scorer who can settle into the game and then, you know, if he hits a few he can cause problems for teams.

No knock against TC. He's a monster. Versus lesser teams, nobody can guard him. But if we're gonna win games against teams that matter.. MSU, NCAA tourney, etc.. it will be because of Joe W carrying the game, not Cook

Joe W stepping forward helps Moss a ton I think. Moss is a guy that I think can be most effective as a third, sort of complimentary scorer who can settle into the game and then, you know, if he hits a few he can cause problems for teams.
Yup.. but regardless of what option Moss is, this team is completely different when he's good. I wish he could be super confident every game. If Bohannon, Moss and JW are attacking and confident, we'll be a tough team even with the flaws

Not really sure what other freshmen there are in the conference and if this is an award in the Big Ten, but Weiskamp is definitely in line for possible Newcomer of the Year and/or Freshman of the Year awards.

How many other freshmen in the B10 have made such an impact like he has for Iowa?

I think Joe is just finding his role on a team with a lot of upper classmen. He defers more than he should, but because he chooses his spots he seems to make very good decisions and doesn't force anything, and he's always under control (unlike Cook who is turnover prone and can take bad shots). I think there is a very good argument that Joe should be more aggressive especially in certain lineups. The fact he doesn't have a bad shot or too is probably symptomatic of him not being aggressive enough.

Not really sure what other freshmen there are in the conference and if this is an award in the Big Ten, but Weiskamp is definitely in line for possible Newcomer of the Year and/or Freshman of the Year awards.

How many other freshmen in the B10 have made such an impact like he has for Iowa?
Romeo Langford?

There really aren't any "stars" on this team when they play well, at least in the sense that there is no one who can take over a game without substantial help. It'll take a team effort every game from now on.

Reactions: Hawk_82
The thing this team is there are so many different parts.
1) JBo is the one who you want with ball if you are up late since makes good decisions and makes FT
2) Cook is player who can do most, but can be sloppy like during NE game stretch
3) Joe-W has a skillset that just is so versatile to do the little things
4) Moss is best at getting to rim or tough shot.
5) Garza might be most important with his presence drawing so much attention it opens up everyone else and he draws a ton fouls.

I agree with DanHawkPella on this one. I would like to see Joe try to do more given his skills.

The only slightly disappointing thing is his FT shooting hasn't been that great. 3-5 last night and 67% on the year, which seems low for him. I'd guess he would be more like a 75-80% FT guy.

Speaking of FTs, hats off to Garza. He is shooting 86%!!!

That cross over move was AWESOME, I agree this is Cook's team, and JBo has been very strong in recent games. He came up big with 6 quick points when the team was looking for O in the second half late. Garza was a beast last night and played a major role in us winning as well. Moss, seemed to look for his spots. Overall, they all contributed last night. JW was a HUGE part of us winning on the road

Reactions: td77
JW is the best complete basketball player we have recruited at Iowa in some time. Size, handles, rebounds, plays D, hits 3s, can drive and score, and shoots FT well. Pretty much every category with being long for his position.

Cook is still a superior shot creator/isolation player than Joe W. So if the game is on the line and your in an isolation situation, getting the ball to Cook is preferable.

Joe currently is playing as a super-efficient, off-ball third scorer type player--spot up jumpers, straight line drives, transition, as opportunities present. He's really good at that role. But, he should naturally transition into more of a shot creation role as he matures.

Cook is still a superior shot creator/isolation player than Joe W. So if the game is on the line and your in an isolation situation, getting the ball to Cook is preferable.

Joe currently is playing as a super-efficient, off-ball third scorer type player--spot up jumpers, straight line drives, transition, as opportunities present. He's really good at that role. But, he should naturally transition into more of a shot creation role as he matures.

The problem is this - at the end of games, the officials seem to swallow the whistles a lot more. This is especially true when players are a bit out of control. To me, "out of control" is a decent description for what happens when Cook tries to create on his own. He rarely makes a good pass in these situations. If fouled, I don't trust him to make those pressure FTs either.

He was very aggressive with the ball last night and looked to attack. If he's not the best player on the team, it's certainly close. He can shoot from distance and he can get to the rim. Not sure there is anyone else on this team that can do both at his level.

Period.

And that's okay. Get him the ****ing ball!!!!

He's a fantastic player and a great athlete, sees the floor extremely well. Will definitely continue to grow...but, I think people really underestimate how valuable Luka Garza is. Man, that dude is versatile and if his 3s are going down he's damn near impossible to stop. He's slow, but uses that frame really well to his advantage.

Reactions: Hawk_82
Romeo Langford?

There are some really good freshmen.

Jalen Smith, Maryland. Avg. 13 points, 7 rebounds per game.
Romeo Langford - Indiana. 18 points, 6 rebounds
Luther Muhamad, OSU. 9.7 points, 4 rebounds. 44% from 3.
Ignas Brazdeikis, Michigan. 16 points, 5 rebounds. 40% from 3 for a big man. Very good.
Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois. 13 points, 4.5 rebounds. 39% from 3.
Rasir Bolton, PSU. 13 ppg, 40% from 3.
Daniel Oturu and Gabe Kelscheur from Minnesota are both averaging double figures.
Wieskamp is at 11 points per game, 5 rebounds. Shooting 44% from 3-point.

Langford and Brazdeikis appear to be the class of the freshmen, perhaps Jalen Smith in there with them. But Wieskamp certainly in the running for All-Freshmen team.

Reactions: unclesammy
JW is the best complete basketball player we have recruited at Iowa in some time. Size, handles, rebounds, plays D, hits 3s, can drive and score, and shoots FT well. Pretty much every category with being long for his position.

I've been of the belief that he actually could helped Iowa each of the last 2 years, his game was well rounded enough and Iowa has been so lacking for perimeter players. He is succeeding very well right now because a) he is a good player; and b) he is not the focus of the best defensive players and game plan of the opponent. Pretty much every opponent doesn't want to give Bohannon any room on the perimeter and the defense is set up to stop Cook and what he can do. Wieskamp's game is more well-rounded than any other Iowa perimeter player right now, so I get the argument that he should get the ball more. It will be interesting to see how OSU plays him after the big game against Northwestern. It was great for a change to see the opponent have no answer for an Iowa perimeter player who could knock down shots or take it to the hoop.

I agree with DanHawkPella on this one. I would like to see Joe try to do more given his skills.

The only slightly disappointing thing is his FT shooting hasn't been that great. 3-5 last night and 67% on the year, which seems low for him. I'd guess he would be more like a 75-80% FT guy.

Speaking of FTs, hats off to Garza. He is shooting 86%!!!
Garza drawing fouls and making his FT’s last night was the deciding edge.

Moss kept Iowa in it in the first half; Joe took over at the key moments in the second half and carried Iowa to the win with some timely help from JBohannon at the end. Who is the best player on the team doesn't matter. What this Iowa team needs to succeed is everybody doing his job so that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

They'll all have some chances to be the guy during various games, but this definitely has to be a team thing on both ends of the floor. And I love that.

But yes, Joe really broke out last night, so he could really help the Hawkeyes roll the rest of the way

Looking at advanced Stats (scroll down):
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/iowa/2019.html

The first two measures are the most important imo. Seems to support Cook being our most valuable player so far, with Wieskamp, Garza and Baer battling for 2nd.

Win Shares: (there is a reason players are sorted by this number by default)
1. Cook 2.4 --- clearly our most valuable player so far
2. Wieskamp 1.6 --- good number
3. Baer 1.5
4. Bohannon 1.5
5. Garza 1.4

PER (Player Efficiency Rating):
1. Cook 25.7
2. Garza 24.0
3. Baer 21.6
4. Wieskamp 18.9
5. Kriener 18.1

eFG% (Effective FG percentage)
1. Wieskamp 61.5% --- should shoot more probably
2. Cook 59.1% --- good number
3. Baer 57.4%
4. Kriener 55.4%
5. Garza 54.5%

Assist Percentage
1. McCaffrey 27.7% --- very impressive
2. Moss 20.0%
3. Cook 19.3% --- very impressive
4. Bohannon 17.3%
5. Dailey 14.1%

Total Rebound Percentage
1. Cook 15.2%
2. Baer 13.3%
3. Kriener 13.1%
4. Garza 12.1%
5. Wieskamp 10.9% --- very impressive

Total Block Percentage
1. Baer 7.0% --- very impressive
2. Kriener 4.6%
3. Garza 2.7%
4. Cook 1.8% ---- Cook really under-performs here given his athletic ability
5. Wieskamp 1.6%

Joe is not trying to upstage Cook, Garza or Bohannon.
As a freshman he knows the pecking order leans to
upper classmen. However, in his own humble way, Joe
has the talent and ability to be a team leader. He plays
offense and defense. What more can you ask for?

Reactions: kmorgan12 and Bro D
There are some really good freshmen.

Jalen Smith, Maryland. Avg. 13 points, 7 rebounds per game.
Romeo Langford - Indiana. 18 points, 6 rebounds
Luther Muhamad, OSU. 9.7 points, 4 rebounds. 44% from 3.
Ignas Brazdeikis, Michigan. 16 points, 5 rebounds. 40% from 3 for a big man. Very good.
Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois. 13 points, 4.5 rebounds. 39% from 3.
Rasir Bolton, PSU. 13 ppg, 40% from 3.
Daniel Oturu and Gabe Kelscheur from Minnesota are both averaging double figures.
Wieskamp is at 11 points per game, 5 rebounds. Shooting 44% from 3-point.

Langford and Brazdeikis appear to be the class of the freshmen, perhaps Jalen Smith in there with them. But Wieskamp certainly in the running for All-Freshmen team.

As good as Joe has been, he will have to up his number significantly if he is going to be voted on the All-Freshman team, He's a Hawkeye. If I remember correctly, as good as Garza was last season, he didn't make it.

Looking forward to his future as a Hawkeye. With a little experience against better defenses (a.k.a. D-1 collegiate competition) he will become a very tough matchup. That crossover mixed in with 3-bombs = beautiful!

I like the fact that Joe hasn’t been forced into a role where he is required to be a go-to guy for the Hawkeyes. He’s an integral player obviously, but we’ve seen Bohannon (who was forced into a position where the team needed him to generate offense his first couple years) struggle to adjust when surrounded by other scorers (emerging Moss and Wieskamp).

Conversely, Joe has been able to experience the college game and Big Ten play without as much being asked of him, and I believe both he and the team will be better off for it. Whether or not he makes the all-freshman team shouldn’t mean much (and I suspect it isn’t a top priority for Joe either). However his continued emergence and the focus other teams begin to put on him is going to make Iowa an extremely difficult matchup and open up opportunities for everybody

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT