ADVERTISEMENT

Joel Klatt on Brian Ferentz contract

Those are your viewpoints not mine at all lol.

1st reply
"You've already intimated that you don't give a rats ass about the product on the field, so it doesn't surprise or impress anyone that you didn't think about it through the prism of a true fan."

To the 1st reply: What is with people on hear always trying incite a fight???? I bet if we were in person you would not say such gibberish. I should just not even acknowledge your comment as I know where that usually ends up on this forum. So I wont resort to name calling.

2nd reply
"Absolutely. Keeping a bottom-tier coordinator on staff at a big-time institution due to nepotism is a huge deal. Your second in bold is not even remotely true; ESPN writers were all over this Ferentz contract drama, with it being pretty much front-and-center on the ESPN college football page."

To the 2nd reply: I am well aware of all of the drama and the repeated nepotism comments - it's about selling news, subscriptions and ad's that is the name of the game.

You are both obviously entitled to your own opinions on the topic as am I.
IMO, the outside world sees nepotism at Iowa, but recruits just see family.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Won't that make you happy though? You all want more points so Kirk just gives you some more? Kirk typically doesn't like sticking another team's faces in the dirt when victory is basically at hand, but to now satisfy you all on these free message forums he is gonna throw up some more points just for you!
No stupid, he will do it for Brian! He could give a f*ck what we think.

What if they average 32 per game but the team goes 8 - 4.
Then, depending on how many of those points were scored by the defense, we can assume that maybe the defense was not as good as these last couple years? As in there would be more reasons other than the offense like these last couple seasons. Kind of why people are in a tizz, it wouldn’t have taken much of an offense to have incredible seasons with an average offense but apparently only KF, BF, GB and you don’t realize this.

What this all boils down to is a lot of the players are going to be affected by this because of a coach who thinks that nepotism rules do not apply to his family. Who pretended there was nothing wrong with the 2021 offense and cannot bring himself to remove his son from a position that he cannot handle.

And because of the son who refuses to move on from a position that he cannot handle.

And because of an AD who would not enforce the nepotism rule and came up with the phony arrangement of being the one who BF would answer to. And now comes up with this abortion of an amended contract that has most people laughing.

And all of this will hang over the entire team for the entire next season.
Still hammering the nepotism angle? Good grief, there are countless examples of this in college and the NFL.

Those are your viewpoints not mine at all lol.

1st reply
"You've already intimated that you don't give a rats ass about the product on the field, so it doesn't surprise or impress anyone that you didn't think about it through the prism of a true fan."

To the 1st reply: What is with people on hear always trying incite a fight???? I bet if we were in person you would not say such gibberish. I should just not even acknowledge your comment as I know where that usually ends up on this forum. So I wont resort to name calling.

2nd reply
"Absolutely. Keeping a bottom-tier coordinator on staff at a big-time institution due to nepotism is a huge deal. Your second in bold is not even remotely true; ESPN writers were all over this Ferentz contract drama, with it being pretty much front-and-center on the ESPN college football page."

To the 2nd reply: I am well aware of all of the drama and the repeated nepotism comments - it's about selling news, subscriptions and ad's that is the name of the game.

You are both obviously entitled to your own opinions on the topic as am I.
IMO, the outside world sees nepotism at Iowa, but recruits just see family.

I’ll put it in simpler terms for you.

You’re wrong. You’re wrong to use apathy as a viewpoint.

Your whole point was that no one cares other than Iowa fans. I’m telling you that other fans care because this is an ecosystem where what happens at one school affects others through recruiting and precedents set in the way that schools handle coaching arrangements. Recruits definitely follow this news and most certainly care as well. And even non-fans follow this stuff because its the most popular sport in the US. (2nd if you separate NFL/College)

So…you’re wrong dude. I didn’t name call and I didn’t try starting a fight. Use some reading comprehension next time.

Putting you ignore mr last word making sure to throw yet another insult lol. We each have our own opinion. Not going to explain why I feel that way any further. I have my views and you have yours. This is not about I am right and you are wrong and then when I think you are wrong I denegrate the converstation into insults. Waste of my time. Have a good day.

Good breakdown, basically everything we've all been saying. None of this makes any sense.
But, but, but - we won 10 games a few years ago. As KF said, it wasn't the coaches, it was the personnel. Unless KF keeps his hands off the offense, I don't see them averaging more than 22ppg.

Like getting worked up over message board opinions that you can't control? Got it, solid work......
Yep, and it wasn't between Barta and Brian, it was between KF and GB, and KF told GB exactly what the contract would look like.

Honestly, never seen anything like this released to the public before. Have no idea what they thought the reactions would be. If they wanted to do this, they should of kept it in house. Does not do the U of IA any good, Brian any good or the team. No benefits from releasing this info.

Honestly, never seen anything like this released to the public before. Have no idea what they thought the reactions would be. If they wanted to do this, they should of kept it in house. Does not do the U of IA any good, Brian any good or the team. No benefits from releasing this info.
I’m sure they were trying to get in front of the story, as the media would have submitted a FOIA request and gotten their hands in the contract eventually — and then you not only have this ridiculous contract but now Iowa also gets roasted for trying to hide it, similar to what happened after the secretive extension given to Fran several years ago but much worse.

There’s no easy way to handle a contract this dumb. Folks were going to find out and mock Iowa mercilessly sooner or later. Really a bad look for Iowa, but the media coverage would have been much worse if there had been a cover-up too.

Won't that make you happy though? You all want more points so Kirk just gives you some more? Kirk typically doesn't like sticking another team's faces in the dirt when victory is basically at hand, but to now satisfy you all on these free message forums he is gonna throw up some more points just for you!
This was my thought.
What is hawk fans biggest peeve with KF over the years?
Conservative turtling offense when leading.
Now the same fans are bitching that his approach might become less conservative to score more points due to this contractual metric?
I do not think KF changes his approach to winning games one bit but if he does the bitchers better be happy....yea sure.

Honestly, never seen anything like this released to the public before. Have no idea what they thought the reactions would be. If they wanted to do this, they should have kept it in house. Does not do the U of IA any good, Brian any good or the team. No benefits from releasing this info.
This was 100% Barta trying to appease the fan base and failing at it.

Yep, and it wasn't between Barta and Brian, it was between KF and GB, and KF told GB exactly what the contract would look like.
I may need to brush up on this internet thing.

A poster went on a rant about people getting worked up over things that they can't control

I made a post pointing out that he was getting worked up over things that he can't control .....like message board opinions.

Then two separate posters used my response to go in a different direction. Maybe I don't understand the rules

I may need to brush up on this internet thing.

A poster went on a rant about people getting worked up over things that they can't control

I made a post pointing out that he was getting worked up over things that he can't control .....like message board opinions.

Then two separate posters used my response to go in a different direction. Maybe I don't understand the rules
Yeah, I quoted yours by accident and not the guy you were responding too.

It's okay though, no harm.

This was my thought.
What is hawk fans biggest peeve with KF over the years?
Conservative turtling offense when leading.
Now the same fans are bitching that his approach might become less conservative to score more points due to this contractual metric?
I do not think KF changes his approach to winning games one bit but if he does the bitchers better be happy....yea sure.
Definitely not the biggest peeve IMO...Incompetent OC only hired because of nepotism leading to situations where the offense can do nothing to win a games when needed, i.e. Nebraska 2022. Also, having an offense incapable doing anything against the top tier teams. These peeves rank higher than "conservative turtling" I think.

Definitely not the biggest peeve IMO...Incompetent OC only hired because of nepotism leading to situations where the offense can do nothing to win a games when needed, i.e. Nebraska 2022. Also, having an offense incapable doing anything against the top tier teams. These peeves rank higher than "conservative turtling" I think.
Fair enough
I certainly share your frustration on our lack of offense vs top teams.
I would argue that these offensive issues have plagued us despite who is our OC thruout KF s era.
Last year was the worst, no doubt.

I've followed Iowa football for more years than most of you have been alive. I've been a fan through thick and thin. The Mr 25 situation makes me ill Hate to see this. Unfair to all involved and borders on criminal. Good luck Iowa. Hope you can make it through this mess KF and BF have put you in.

Reactions: DewHawk
While this may be correct, what would KF do to GB if GB fired BF? Anything he does would be a huge blackmark to KF and the fan base would lose it on KF. Or GB would have some serious ammo for a nepotism case against KF. As much as people feel that KF holds the power here, I'm not sure what KF could actually do to GB given he has all the info he needs to get KF in some serious PR and legal nepotism issues.

[QUOTE[
Why do you say that? Klatt was voicing his opinion based on the performance of the Iowa offense last year and for the last couple of years. What other major college OC would keep his job with those numbers?
It means that although they might have an amicable personal relationship, he doesn't really know the first thing about Kirk Ferentz' dedication to self and family preservation. He was obviously very wrong. I definitely knew there was no way in hell Kirk would do the right thing on his own. After 25 years he is what he is

Still hammering the nepotism angle? Good grief, there are countless examples of this in college and the NFL.
Yeah? There's no doubt the NFL is a good ol Boys league with nepotism hires but there's also accountability. Show me one goddamn OC who would be around in year 7 with an offense that was bottom 1/3 of league his first 4 seasons, and the worst team or very close to it in seasons 5 and 6.

If you are cool with blind nepotism sabotaging a team's overall prospects that's fine. Most of us arent

But, but, but - we won 10 games a few years ago. As KF said, it wasn't the coaches, it was the personnel. Unless KF keeps his hands off the offense, I don't see them averaging more than 22ppg.
They probably only have to average around 20-22ppg. The defense and special teams will account for the balance. Should be doable unless the oline falls apart again and/or Cade gets injured. Then it's unlikely.

They probably only have to average around 20-22ppg. The defense and special teams will account for the balance. Should be doable unless the oline falls apart again and/or Cade gets injured. Then it's unlikely.
Unless the OL falls apart AGAIN? That implies that the OL was at least a somewhat functioning unit before things went south for whatever reason. Iowa’s OL has been horrible from start to finish 2 consecutive years now, and every single player was worse in ‘22 compared to ‘21. If the OL actually played to a level in which falling apart was possible, that would be a major improvement.

Klatt is making A layup here, low hanging fruit. BUT. Klatt is a real douchebag and just grabs any controversy to get his ugly face out there and ring up some hits. I’ve seen him do this with several other programs/issues. He just piles on whatever the popular take is. Skip Bayless Jr.
No Joe is one of the best in the business

I don’t give a rats ass about other schools or the NFL. The nepotism at Iowa has turned around and bitten the team in the ass. And daddy still can’t bring himself to part ways with junior. That’s exactly why there are rules as against nepotism and as long as it continues I’ll still be hammering it. Just letting it go is exactly what KF wants.

I am ok with this criteria. I also wish Brian was not coming back this year. But since he is back, he should have specific criteria to meet.

Ultimately it's an easy way out for kirk and barta. with specific criteria, they don't have to think about if they should fire brian. he either meets criteria or he doesn't.
This is the epitome of nepotism though. they didn't have the guts to fire brian out right, instead they are giving him an ultimatum.

I think brian should come out and say, I am her to score points and win games. those are my only goals. if I do my job like I think I can, then we will score plenty of points and win plenty of games. if that doesn't happen then I will move on gracefully. the pressure is on me, not the players. I will address any questions regarding the win total and points per game at the end of the season, but I assure you, I will do my best to be back next year.

I am ok with this criteria. I also wish Brian was not coming back this year. But since he is back, he should have specific criteria to meet.

Ultimately it's an easy way out for kirk and barta. with specific criteria, they don't have to think about if they should fire brian. he either meets criteria or he doesn't.
This is the epitome of nepotism though. they didn't have the guts to fire brian out right, instead they are giving him an ultimatum.

I think brian should come out and say, I am her to score points and win games. those are my only goals. if I do my job like I think I can, then we will score plenty of points and win plenty of games. if that doesn't happen then I will move on gracefully. the pressure is on me, not the players. I will address any questions regarding the win total and points per game at the end of the season, but I assure you, I will do my best to be back next year.
Maybe he can trot Petras out to answer questions on his behalf. He had to answer for him every week last fall

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT