ADVERTISEMENT

Joey McKenna Transferring possibility

Funny that some of the dim witted PSU faithful think Suriano can't red shirt next year and have 3 years left to compete at any school he so chooses... Its like they're magically changing the NCAA rules to fit their narrative.

From everything I have read, that is the policy. Mimic was granted an exemption (maybe due to coaching change) and Cortez wasn't... a quick google of Big Ten intra-conference transfer found this on the tOSU site:
http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/compliance/future-transfers.html

What are the circumstances that you think would lead to a waiver for Suriano?

Last edited:
Suriano has an actual redshirt to still use; even if he's not granted a full release to transfer, he could use his normal redshirt next year anyway, making it a moot point

Reactions: andegre and Huck
But losing "one season of eligibility" means only being allowed to compete for three seasons. SA generally have five years to use four years of eligibility. This rule reduces the maximum eligible seasons to three. Whether he redshirted or not doesn't impact that...

But losing "one season of eligibility" means only being allowed to compete for three seasons. SA generally have five years to use four years of eligibility. This rule reduces the maximum eligible seasons to three. Whether he redshirted or not doesn't impact that...
That's my understanding as well. When a student athlete uses a redshirt, that season is not considered "a season of eligibility".

I am 90% sure that the following is true.

1- He can go to a non Big Ten school and redshirt next year and wrestle three more years with or without a release.
2- He can go to a non Big Ten school and wrestle right away for three more years, with the option of doing that over 4 years with a redshirt, with a release.
3- He will have 2 more years of eligibility if he goes to a Big Ten school with or without a release. Unless there is some special ruling made or there has been a major rule change in the last year or so.

Reactions: PSUer1989

1- He can go to a non Big Ten school and redshirt next year and wrestle three more years with or without a release.
2- He can go to a non Big Ten school and wrestle right away for three more years, with the option of doing that over 4 years with a redshirt, with a release.
3- He will have 2 more years of eligibility if he goes to a Big Ten school with or without a release. Unless there is some special ruling made or there has been a major rule change in the last year or so.
You must be dim witted (as spelled out by Gobblin) like some of us PSU fans who agree with your interpretation.

I agree... I was addressing the theoretical RU transfer so only meant for within the conference...

My understanding is that PSU1989 and Lumbee are correct. If Suriano was not granted a release but was transferring outside the Big Ten, he would have to sit out a year per the NCAA, but since he has a redshirt to use he would have 3 years of competition available to him afterwards. He could compete as a redshirt SO in 2 years.

If Suriano wanted to transfer to Rutgers and he was not granted a release, he would have to sit out a year per the NCAA. Additionally the Big Ten says you lose 1 year of eligibility for intraconference transfers without a release. So if he transferred to Rutgers without a release, he could compete in 2 years as a redshirt JR.

Reactions: LumbeeIndian
My understanding is that PSU1989 and Lumbee are correct. If Suriano was not granted a release but was transferring outside the Big Ten, he would have to sit out a year per the NCAA, but since he has a redshirt to use he would have 3 years of competition available to him afterwards. He could compete as a redshirt SO in 2 years.

If Suriano wanted to transfer to Rutgers and he was not granted a release, he would have to sit out a year per the NCAA. Additionally the Big Ten says you lose 1 year of eligibility for intraconference transfers without a release. So if he transferred to Rutgers without a release, he could compete in 2 years as a redshirt JR.

Carl seems like a nice guy. I'm sure he would have given Suriano a full release if he has transferred..........

Reactions: DirkTang1 and Huck

I believe its just the one year, release or not, in the same conference.
"
2. Post Matriculation. A student-athlete that has signed a tender from a Conference institution and has triggered transfer status per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.2 (conditions affecting transfer status), may not represent an alternate Big Ten institution in intercollegiate athletics competition until the individual has completed one (1) full academic year of residence at the alternate (i.e., certifying) Big Ten institution and shall be charged with the loss of one (1) season of eligibility in all sports."

It's an NCAA rule that they are using, not necessarily a Big Ten one. So theoretically, Suriano could transfer and sit this year and wrestle 2018-2019 for another B1G institution.

http://btn.com/2016/05/03/albrecht-to-purdue-take-a-look-at-other-big-ten-to-big-ten-transfers/

Reactions: Gobblin
"
2. Post Matriculation. A student-athlete that has signed a tender from a Conference institution and has triggered transfer status per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.2 (conditions affecting transfer status), may not represent an alternate Big Ten institution in intercollegiate athletics competition until the individual has completed one (1) full academic year of residence at the alternate (i.e., certifying) Big Ten institution and shall be charged with the loss of one (1) season of eligibility in all sports."

It's an NCAA rule that they are using, not necessarily a Big Ten one. So theoretically, Suriano could transfer and sit this year and wrestle 2018-2019 for another B1G institution.

http://btn.com/2016/05/03/albrecht-to-purdue-take-a-look-at-other-big-ten-to-big-ten-transfers/
It's two separate things though. Sitting out a year is per the NCAA, the loss of a year of eligibility for an intraconference transfer is per the Big Ten. It's perfectly legal for a graduate student who has a year of eligibility left to transfer anywhere without having to sit out a year per the NCAA. We have been seeing this a lot recently in football, but as the article you posted states, a graduate student still has to get a waiver from the big ten to transfer intraconference without losing a year of eligibility.

From the article:
In the Big Ten, a move within the league is punitive. Prior to 2011-12, a transfer within the league was unable to receive a scholarship and had to sit out a season. The rule was altered starting with the 2011-12 season. Now, an athlete can receive a scholarship but loses a year of eligibility in addition to sitting out a season.

Reactions: LumbeeIndian
"

Correct. Suriano would sit the one year through his redshirt and then compete the very next season. He would however still lose 1 of his 4 years of eligibility.

I am 83% sure that the following is true.

FIFY

If Nick were to transfer to Rider and was granted a release Nick could wrestle this coming season and he would still have 4 years in which to use his remaining 3 years of eligibility.

If Nick transfered to Rider and was not granted a release he would have to sit out this coming season and he would still have 3 years of eligibility left.

That is following NCAA transfer guidelines.

If Nick transfered to Rutgers (or any other Big10 school) the NCAA rules apply, but so do the Big10 transfer rules. Regardless of whether Penn State grants a release or not, Nick would be required to sit out one academic year and he would fofiet one year eligibility. Which means Nick could not compete as a Scarlet Knight until the 2018-19 school year and he would have 3 years left to use 2 years of competitive eligibility.

He can apply to the Big10 for an exemption (i.e. Micic).

That is not an interpretation of the Big10 transfer rule. That in a short version is the Big10 transfer rule.

If Nick were to transfer to Rider and was granted a release Nick could wrestle this coming season and he would still have 4 years in which to use his remaining 3 years of eligibility.

If Nick transfered to Rider and was not granted a release he would have to sit out this coming season and he would still have 3 years of eligibility left.

That is following NCAA transfer guidelines.

If Nick transfered to Rutgers (or any other Big10 school) the NCAA rules apply, but so do the Big10 transfer rules. Regardless of whether Penn State grants a release or not, Nick would be required to sit out one academic year and he would fofiet one year eligibility. Which means Nick could not compete as a Scarlet Knight until the 2018-19 school year and he would have 3 years left to use 2 years of competitive eligibility.

He can apply to the Big10 for an exemption (i.e. Micic).

That is not an interpretation of the Big10 transfer rule. That in a short version is the Big10 transfer rule.
Thanks for clearly spelling that out to those of us that are a bit dim witted....

Are you talking about the ignorant PSU trolls that had to explain the transfer rules to you and others than couldn't quite seem to grasp them?
In case you were wondering, u are on the top of his ignore list. Therefore u won't get a response

Even as a Penn State fan, the 83% jokes never get old. I wonder if 83% is a random number or did Hall do a statistical analysis.

As I'll bet you are aware, 83% is five-sixths (5/6). Maybe Hall's own joke, or maybe he was truly trying to be precise and was thinking midway between 75% and 90% (which are the more typical probabilties between 50% and 100% that people use in conversation).

I obviously don't know his personality enough to know if he has OCD tendencies . . . something I relate to, and I have caught myself using precise (but obscure) percentages in conversation when discussing probabilities before.

As I'll bet you are aware, 83% is five-sixths (5/6). Maybe Hall's own joke, or maybe he was truly trying to be precise and was thinking midway between 75% and 90% (which are the more typical probabilties between 50% and 100% that people use in conversation).

I obviously don't know his personality enough to know if he has OCD tendencies . . . something I relate to, and I have caught myself using precise (but obscure) percentages in conversation when discussing probabilities before.
if it was OCD, 5/6 wouldn't be a good number since it's 83.3 repeated...it's not a an exact decimal. would've been better saying 80%, which is a clear decimal percentage.

83 was the number/percentage always cited by Barney Stinson on "How I Met Your Mother" so I just assumed out was stolen from there.

Reactions: sstark46
Will never forget a great story a friend told me once. He was doing his internship in medicine and was rotating in the ICU. He was having a discussion with the family of a critically ill patient. The patient was from an area where education wasn't great. One of the family members asked, "So, doc, what are his chances -- 30/30?"

Will never forget a great story a friend told me once. He was doing his internship in medicine and was rotating in the ICU. He was having a discussion with the family of a critically ill patient. The patient was from an area where education wasn't great. One of the family members asked, "So, doc, what are his chances -- 30/30?"

Might not be good at Math, but they know baseball. The elite 30/30 Club...

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Even as a Penn State fan, the 83% jokes never get old. I wonder if 83% is a random number or did Hall do a statistical analysis.

I actually heard Cael tell Hall that his perfect weight was 183...that he would win gold in the Olympics if there was such a weight class. Hall has been enthralled by 83 since.

It would stand to reason that Hall would wrestle 84 to be as close to 83 as he could, but he just couldn't beat Bo. So, that is why he is wrestling at 74 where he has and will take some future loses, but still good enough to win nationals.

He's looking to go 149 from what I have heard.Which works good for Ohio St
125 Tomasello
133 Pletcher
141 Keshawn
149 McKenna
157 Micah
165 Campbell
174 Bo
184 Myles
197 Moore
Hwt Synder

He's looking to go 149 from what I have heard.Which works good for Ohio St
125 Tomasello
133 Pletcher
141 Keshawn
149 McKenna
157 Micah
165 Campbell
174 Bo
184 Myles
197 Moore
Hwt Synder
Tomasello has said in an interview his decision to go 125 will be based on what happens in August when new International weights are announced. Not sure if a McKenna commit would change his thinking. But, if he stays at 133 I would guess Pletcher would RS and they will scramble to fill 125, essentially a freshman or someone we've never heard of. But the rest of the lineup would be as you stated.

Tomasello has said in an interview his decision to go 125 will be based on what happens in August when new International weights are announced. Not sure if a McKenna commit would change his thinking. But, if he stays at 133 I would guess Pletcher would RS and they will scramble to fill 125, essentially a freshman or someone we've never heard of. But the rest of the lineup would be as you stated.
I heard that interview but with that team I think he stays 125.If the weights change to 55kg 60kg 65kg that would make the Olympic weights 55kg 65kg as Ramos said in his latest Flo interview.My take on Tomasello interview was different then everyone elses my thought is if they do what most have heard he's a 55kg guy and stays 125. I have heard people say if they go 55kg he's going 133 so he can go 60kg which makes no sense to me if its a non Olympic weight

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT