ADVERTISEMENT

John Deere announces layoffs

QChawks

HB King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
EAST MOLINE, Ill. (KWQC) - John Deere Harvester Works has announced indefinite layoffs coming in October.

According to a media release, John Deere has informed members of the workforce at John Deere Harvester Works in East Moline, that approximately 225 production employees will be placed on indefinite layoff effective Oct. 16.

The media release stated that employees were told of the layoffs by factory leadership in meetings today at the factory.

Although John Deere has hired hundreds of employees in the Quad Cities in recent years, the company has consistently stated that each Deere factory balances the size of its production workforce with the needs of the individual factory to optimize the workforce at each facility, the media release said.

The media release continued to say that John Deere Harvester Works currently has about 2,300 total employees with about 1,975 of them working in production and maintenance jobs.

TV6 spoke with Illinois, U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin about his reaction to the layoffs at Deere.

“Deere is a great company and a great employer in the region,” Sen. Durbin said. “I’m sorry that there’s a setback in terms of their workforce, but I hope that they can recover quickly.”

TV6 has reached out to UAW for a response and have not heard back.

Reactions: Ree4
Nice

Deere & Co. continued to rake in record profits this fall, and the company expects to make even more money next year.

The agriculture and construction equipment maker disclosed Wednesday morning that the company earned a $2.25 billion profit for the quarter that ended Oct. 30, led by continued strong demand from farmers and builders. Deere also benefited from shippers catching up on old parts orders, allowing the company to finish and sell about $400 million worth of machines that had sat partially built in parking lots, waiting for their final components.

Joe Biden GIF by Election 2020

This is justbthe beginning. Buckle up folks and "remember, you wanted this."
What are you talking about?

Without looking it up, I’m guessing Deere has done well the last few years with farmers buying new equipment and now the cycle is turning downward. As it has forever.

Are you claiming this is now something different?

Lack of work maybe? Are they supposed to pay people to stand around?

It’s such a worldwide industry now that idk that that explanation makes sense on the heels of massive profits.

But heck, I would think that in the short-term there’s all sorts of trainings, maintenance, etc they could do. Also, Deere used to do a two week shutdown in late summer when orders would slow down for a bit. Just saying it feels like there’s other options than layoffs.

Reactions: kkhawk
It’s such a worldwide industry now that idk that that explanation makes sense on the heels of massive profits.

But heck, I would think that in the short-term there’s all sorts of trainings, maintenance, etc they could do. Also, Deere used to do a two week shutdown in late summer when orders would slow down for a bit. Just saying it feels like there’s other options than layoffs.
Indefinite doesn't sound "short term". Not sure what the union would say if non-maintenance personnel were doing maintenance projects. They frown on that because it's taking work from another individual. Hell you can't move a pallet without calling for a material handler.

The unions have created some of this atmosphere at large factories, it's not just the big wigs.

Indefinite doesn't sound "short term". Not sure what the union would say if non-maintenance personnel were doing maintenance projects. They frown on that because it's taking work from another individual. Hell you can't move a pallet without calling for a material handler.

The unions have created some of this atmosphere at large factories, it's not just the big wigs.

Sure, and there’s likely other factors going on that you or I aren’t aware of as well.

Just saying that imo I feel like there’s other options short of layoffs - what does “indefinite layoff” even mean? Are we talking 3, 6, 9+ months? Do workers lose any seniority they accrued if/when they are brought back?

The same people bitching about this also bitch when their 401k, IRA, etc. go down.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too morons.

That article above said the record profits were due in part to being able to finish and sell machines that had previously sat unfinished. Deere seemingly has no more capacity at this time.

Their goal is to maximize profits, it seems they have done so.

I don’t expect Deere or any public company to look out for or have loyalty to their employees. That way of thinking is long gone.

I also don’t expect any employee to have any loyalty to a company. Something better comes along, give your two weeks, phuck them and move on no matter how much it puts them in a lurch. If you’re good, know your value and take advantage.

Last edited:
This is the new normal with Robotics and AI.

They can get the same productivity with less humans. Sucks but they aren't a jobs program.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Nice

Deere & Co. continued to rake in record profits this fall, and the company expects to make even more money next year.

The agriculture and construction equipment maker disclosed Wednesday morning that the company earned a $2.25 billion profit for the quarter that ended Oct. 30, led by continued strong demand from farmers and builders. Deere also benefited from shippers catching up on old parts orders, allowing the company to finish and sell about $400 million worth of machines that had sat partially built in parking lots, waiting for their final components.

So, companies that are profitable are evil, is that your premise? I'll counter that the blue collar employees Deere employ are way over paid. Maybe if they accepted a fair salary for a fair days work, layoffs wouldn't be as frequent or severe. UAW members at Deere are mostly required to show up and be on time unlike the CEO who actually has to show results.

So, companies that are profitable are evil, is that your premise? I'll counter that the blue collar employees Deere employ are way over paid. Maybe if they accepted a fair salary for a fair days work, layoffs wouldn't be as frequent or severe. UAW members at Deere are mostly required to show up and be on time unlike the CEO who actually has to show results.

Yes, the workers are simply expected to show up, and not expected to…work?

That's straight from the left's playbook.
Completely wrong as usual. You always project BS onto the rest of us. Just like your political leaders do.

What infrastructure plan did your part pass? Nothing. Lots of good work is getting done around the country that Republicans are trying to take credit for...because they know it's good for Americans.

Use. Logic.

Another Pro-corporation, anti-middle class Republican voter. The top 1% LOVES the way you think.

Completely wrong as usual. You always project BS onto the rest of us. Just like your political leaders do.

What infrastructure plan did your part pass? Nothing. Lots of good work is getting done around the country that Republicans are trying to take credit for...because they know it's good for Americans.

Use. Logic.

33 trillion

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT