ADVERTISEMENT

John Deere Classic

hexumhawk

HR Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
Was thinking about going with a bunch of friends this summer for a day at JDC. Has anyone ever done the Greenside clubhouse on the 18th? Tix are like $60 and was wondering if they were worth it or not. Also, does the shuttle still run to and from the Isle and has Jummers gotten on that as well? Looking to make a day of it without the DUI if possible! Any other tips would be great too.

I went about 5 years ago but it was just a regular day pass.

Living local I've always gone for free. People just give away tickets. There is usually someone at the shuttle drop off handing off extra tickets too. The Isle and Quad City Downs are the two shuttle locations. The VIP parking section is at the East Moline Race track. It is a rip off, just drops you off by the clubhouse. Clubhouse access is pointless.

The worst part about the tournament is the heat. It usually hot, humid and no wind. Having access to a/c is nice, but you can't see much from inside there. I believe they play the broadcast. I've been to a Gensis booth similar to the club and i stopped in, drank one of the free beers and took the other one and left. I spent maybe half an hour in it. It was free, so I didn't feel the need to use it.

If you are going to walk, stay away from the hill on the 2nd green to the 3rd tee box. The green at Hole 2 is fun to watch, but that hill will ruin your day.

I like the free stands on the 5th green. Usually nice and shady with a beer concession close by. The hole is pretty boring though.

Watching the 14th green is fun, b/c a lot of them try to drive the green and they put themselves in some interesting places to scramble from. This area is not shaded, but I really like it and the 2nd green area the best. The 18th is neat, but there is so much other crap going on that it is distracting.

Be prepared to sweat all day. The gift shop by the 18th green is air conditioned (and free), so I use that and the family tent by 8th green to cool off in.

Originally posted by hexumhawk:

Was thinking about going with a bunch of friends this summer for a day at JDC. Has anyone ever done the Greenside clubhouse on the 18th? Tix are like $60 and was wondering if they were worth it or not. Also, does the shuttle still run to and from the Isle and has Jummers gotten on that as well? Looking to make a day of it without the DUI if possible! Any other tips would be great too.

I went about 5 years ago but it was just a regular day pass.
We are in the Trinity box along the 18th every year. It's a good social scene, but you can't see much golf other than putting.

My recommendation would be to go ahead and get those tickets - that will be a good "home base" - but to walk along with a group for a few holes to get a better experience.

And yeah, the shuttles still run. The bummer, though, is that MetroLink and their nice air conditioned buses can no longer be used (something about federal funding not being used for a for-profit event). So now it's on crappy school buses.

With the closing of the downs, will that lot still be used? Should be, it's large and convenient but I'm curious who is in charge of that at this point.

Torbee, pretty sure you're more Iowa side of the QC development but I'd think that Downs property (if acquired cheaply enough) could be a good community center type of venue for either E Moline or the county. Land for a dog park that is needed in East MOline. Tons of parking. Good building for receptions, reunions, gatherings. And I think a good location for a weekly flea market. Spring, summer and fall indoor outdoor, winter, just have the permanent indoor booths - assuming the indoor booths wouldn't eliminate the reception option. The infield are would take some work and development to make it usable as a flea market I'm sure.

Maybe the demand for that level of a flea market wouldn't be that great here but, in my head, I've been thinking about something like Collingswood in NJ (lot bigger population base I know), but hate to see that property sit vacant.

Collingwood Flea Market and auction

Originally posted by MN.HAWK:
With the closing of the downs, will that lot still be used? Should be, it's large and convenient but I'm curious who is in charge of that at this point.

Torbee, pretty sure you're more Iowa side of the QC development but I'd think that Downs property (if acquired cheaply enough) could be a good community center type of venue for either E Moline or the county. Land for a dog park that is needed in East MOline. Tons of parking. Good building for receptions, reunions, gatherings. And I think a good location for a weekly flea market. Spring, summer and fall indoor outdoor, winter, just have the permanent indoor booths - assuming the indoor booths wouldn't eliminate the reception option. The infield are would take some work and development to make it usable as a flea market I'm sure.

Maybe the demand for that level of a flea market wouldn't be that great here but, in my head, I've been thinking about something like Collingswood in NJ (lot bigger population base I know), but hate to see that property sit vacant.
IT's a pretty decent piece for re-development, but I think they will be pushing to get something finally built on the old IH site on the riverfront first.

All I have to add is that the shuttle sucks every time I go. Granted I only have gone on Sundays and always waited till the tournament was ending so maybe that's part of my problem, but it always seems to take over an hour just to get on a bus, whether I'm in the VIP line or just the poors line.

And like crunch, I only go for free.

I usually leave when the leaders get on the back nine. Shuttle traffic isn't bad, and I watch last few holes at home.

Life is too short to wait in lines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT