ADVERTISEMENT

John Dupont

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
While on vacation I met a sports writer from Philly hanging out at the beach. He wrote a book on Dupont and the Foxcatcher training facility. I know Dave and Mark Schultz trained there. Thought I read that the Brands trained there for awhile. Anyone in the know who can confirm?

That was a very sad and a very strange deal.

While on vacation I met a sports writer from Philly hanging out at the beach. He wrote a book on Dupont and the Foxcatcher training facility. I know Dave and Mark Schultz trained there. Thought I read that the Brands trained there for awhile. Anyone in the know who can confirm?

That was a very sad and a very strange deal.
Believe TnT as well as Alger and Chiapparelli trained there to some extent.

Not only did TnT train there, there was also some controversy, as they continued to take Foxcatcher funding, after the shit went down there, causing a bit of a rift in the wrestling community. I remember reading that some of their Foxcatcher logo'd equipment bags disappearing at a tournament, that they think were because of their continued acceptance of Foxcatcher funding.

Reactions: mcpat
Shocker, another psycho from Pennsylvania that gets away with way to much, until its to late. Did the See Something, Say Something slogan start there???? If not, maybe it should have.
I think this is an over simplification of what was going on there and the participants were hardly all Pennsylvanians. DuPont had serious mental health issues that almost everyone was willing to overlook or even manipulate in order to get the money and lifestyle they wanted. This includes the athletes, police, government officials, etc. I think even Dave believed that he could control or restrain the behaviors of DuPont in order to preserve what the wrestling program had going. DuPont should have been institutionalized decades prior to him murdering Schultz but often times his behavior was encouraged because people were benefitting from his money. Just a horribly sad situation. Mark Schultz’ book provides some incredible insight into DuPont that I hadn’t seen elsewhere. The entire story of him buying what was to be the new powerhouse wrestling program at Villanova was new to me, and even Mark admitted he let a lot slide because the money was too good until the behaviors became too much for him.

Shocker, another psycho from Pennsylvania that gets away with way to much, until its to late. Did the See Something, Say Something slogan start there???? If not, maybe it should have.

See something say something!!!! I couldn’t agree more!

These PSU fools are a riot. Can’t be content with their own team’s success. Gotta troll the Iowa board and talk smack. The very definition of insecurity.

Funny how they were nowhere to be found on this board for the 19-20 and 20-21 seasons. Another nice by-product of winning team titles is that these trolls scatter like rats.

These PSU fools are a riot. Can’t be content with their own team’s success. Gotta troll the Iowa board and talk smack. The very definition of insecurity.

Funny how they were nowhere to be found on this board for the 19-20 and 20-21 seasons. Another nice by-product of winning team titles is that these trolls scatter like rats.
Maybe, but implying Dupont's mental illness or it not being addressed appropriately was because he was from/in Pennsylvania was sure to draw them over.

Fair enough, but I quit feeding the squirrels if they are in my house.

I’m drawn over here because you guys have the best wrestling fans in the world. I love the sport of wrestling. The state of Pennsylvania loves the sport of wrestling. 90 percent of the fans over here talk about wrestling. When people start nonsense about pedophiles and every other troll thing you can think of it brings troll reactions. Go look at all of my comments on this board and see how respectful I am of this board and your fans. I spent last week at nationals with Iowa fans and had a blast all weekend. We all love wrestling. We don’t say stupid disparaging shit about each other in person other than some small shit talking. Am I going to respond to stupid shit posted here at times. Sure. Like I always told my Marines, play stupid games and you win stupid prizes. But I digress.

Let’s talk about wrestling. That’s what I come here to do. The DuPont post is a good one to talk about Schultz/ Brands and other icons in the sport. It’s a sad reminder of how broke and underfunded wrestling was during these times. Everyone knew Dupont was crazy. No one would do anything about it because he funded everything in Pa and the majority of international wrestling. He was probably the founder of the RTCs the way we know them today. A lot of my trophies during this time were tournaments funded by DuPont. I think it’s indicative of how far we’ve come on the backs of giants like Gable who have literally saved wrestling in parts of the country.

When I was wrestling in college in 1998/99 at a D2 school in Pa, we had lost about 7 college programs due to “title 9”. My program got cut after our freshman year. The reality was no one was watching wrestling and we had no leaders. Gable and others would have to save it from the olympics later. I truly believe that the rise in popularity of UFC along with wrestlers like Ortiz, Liddell, Hughes, and many others to follow saved the sport. It’s also led to the growing of women’s wrestling along with the popularity of Jiu Jitsu. Thank God we’ve had ambassadors of the sport like Gable on the world stage at such crucial times to remind us that we don’t need the creeps like DuPont anywhere near us.

Last edited:
We’re talking cockroaches. They’re in your house no matter what you do… until they’re no longer winning, at which point they mysteriously disappear.
Their team wins at recruiting and wins on the mat so much they get bored talking about it. Carl provides as much excitement a silent movie convention from a strictly coach interaction standpoint. So they have taken to picking at the peasants so to speak to keep themselves entertained. Manufacturing ways and things to pick at other schools especially us is definitely their thing.

Reactions: goldenanimal

Perhaps the Foxcatcher wrestlers, including the Brothers Brands, should have said something or done something before it was too late.

Perhaps the Foxcatcher wrestlers, including the Brothers Brands, should have said something or done something before it was too late.
When I was going there in the early 90’s the first thing I was told was don’t interact with DuPont. Stories of him asking wrestlers to scare off civil war ghosts and his bizarre demeanor were circulating but the guy was a free man, wealthy, and supporting wrestling. Being bizarre isn’t a crime and a lot of people chalked it up to eccentric and odd but okay.

So what do you suggest should have been done? Other than build a Time Machine with your hindsight bias. Maybe you should reach out to Schultz’s wife and kids who lived on the estate and share with them your observation. I’m sure they would be happy to take a ride in your Time Machine and change the outcome.

There is a pretty good documentary on Netflix for those that haven't watched. Kevin Jackson has some pretty crazy stories as well.

Reactions: Khawk4
There is a pretty good documentary on Netflix for those that haven't watched. Kevin Jackson has some pretty crazy stories as well.

That is a really good doc. Wasnt there a movie with Steve Carrell and Channing Tatum? Anyone seen that? Any good? That story has always fascinated the heck out of me. Horribly sad, but fascinating none the less.

That is a really good doc. Wasnt there a movie with Steve Carrell and Channing Tatum? Anyone seen that? Any good? That story has always fascinated the heck out of me. Horribly sad, but fascinating none the less.
Yeah, Steve Carrell was really good in that movie. I'm fairly certain it was called Foxcatcher. I watched it and thought it was really good.

Reactions: NCPsuFan and Khawk4
Is it good? In terms of quality of work yes. Good acting, production. Is it enjoyable? IMO not really. It's a very dark movie, which is appropriate given the subject matter. I found it uncomfortable to watch.

Yeah, Steve Carrell was really good in that movie. I'm fairly certain it was called Foxcatcher. I watched it and thought it was really good.

Is it good? In terms of quality of work yes. Good acting, production. Is it enjoyable? IMO not really. It's a very dark movie, which is appropriate given the subject matter. I found it uncomfortable to watch.

Thanks fellas.

When I was going there in the early 90’s the first thing I was told was don’t interact with DuPont. Stories of him asking wrestlers to scare off civil war ghosts and his bizarre demeanor were circulating but the guy was a free man, wealthy, and supporting wrestling. Being bizarre isn’t a crime and a lot of people chalked it up to eccentric and odd but okay.

So what do you suggest should have been done? Other than build a Time Machine with your hindsight bias. Maybe you should reach out to Schultz’s wife and kids who lived on the estate and share with them your observation. I’m sure they would be happy to take a ride in your Time Machine and change the outcome.

Ultimately the blame lies on DuPont. My response was to bammhawk1 who was blaming it on Pennsylvania not doing anything. What does bammhawk1 suggest should have been done? There were plenty of non-Pennsylvanians that were involved that either did or did not observe any concerning behavior.

Ultimately the blame lies on DuPont. My response was to bammhawk1 who was blaming it on Pennsylvania not doing anything. What does bammhawk1 suggest should have been done? There were plenty of non-Pennsylvanians that were involved that either did or did not observe any concerning behavior.
Na, between holding Dan Chaid at gun point and removing him from his property, or sexual harassment toward Andre Metzger, he should have been locked up. His connection with the police department was wildly inappropriate. This is all not to mention how it ended. It should have been Waco v 2.0

i would just like to make clear that i am drawn here not by pennsylvania hate but because of the consistently worst takes in wrestling, obviously inaccurate information, and unending string of pessimism.
Any news on Shane Griffith?

i would just like to make clear that i am drawn here not by pennsylvania hate but because of the consistently worst takes in wrestling, obviously inaccurate information, and unending string of pessimism.
Considering that happens everywhere, how about at least acknowledging the consistently best takes that happen here, the obviously accurate information and the unending string of optimism.

Because, if you actually don’t have any bias, you could easily see there is just as much of those to go around…

Considering that happens everywhere, how about at least acknowledging the consistently best takes that happen here, the obviously accurate information and the unending string of optimism.

Because, if you actually don’t have any bias, you could easily see there is just as much of those to go around…
i won't dignify that with a response. you're a blowhard.

i've seen you post for 20 years on various boards and you're fake af.

i 'get it' from the homers. but i have no respect for phonies and a$$ kissers.

RaggedDefenselessGrayreefshark-size_restricted.gif

i won't dignify that with a response. you're a blowhard.

i've seen you post for 20 years on various boards and you're fake af.

i 'get it' from the homers. but i have no respect for phonies and a$$ kissers.
LMFAO. I am a blowhard, fake and asskisser huh? That is rich and patently false.

1.)If you followed me so closely you would know for certain how hard I was on my Athletic Department until Minkel was gone.

2.) Please cite instances where I am fake. Would love to hear it.

3,) Please tell me where I am an asskisser and whose ass do I exactly kiss? Ask the closest fans on here how many disagreements they have had with me over my takes with Iowa when I AM THE ONE being negative.

4.). Finally the one thing I do is give credit to how hard these guys work on and off the mat, because I f**king know how hard it is. I also know how hard it is to compete with PSU, with every possible advantage they have now built into their program.

Oh, and you give yourself WAY more value at this level of wrestling than you actually have. Stick to high school rankings, at least you are decent at that…

I’m drawn over here because you guys have the best wrestling fans in the world. I love the sport of wrestling. The state of Pennsylvania loves the sport of wrestling. 90 percent of the fans over here talk about wrestling. When people start nonsense about pedophiles and every other troll thing you can think of it brings troll reactions. Go look at all of my comments on this board and see how respectful I am of this board and your fans. I spent last week at nationals with Iowa fans and had a blast all weekend. We all love wrestling. We don’t say stupid disparaging shit about each other in person other than some small shit talking. Am I going to respond to stupid shit posted here at times. Sure. Like I always told my Marines, play stupid games and you win stupid prizes. But I digress.

Let’s talk about wrestling. That’s what I come here to do. The DuPont post is a good one to talk about Schultz/ Brands and other icons in the sport. It’s a sad reminder of how broke and underfunded wrestling was during these times. Everyone knew Dupont was crazy. No one would do anything about it because he funded everything in Pa and the majority of international wrestling. He was probably the founder of the RTCs the way we know them today. A lot of my trophies during this time were tournaments funded by DuPont. I think it’s indicative of how far we’ve come on the backs of giants like Gable who have literally saved wrestling in parts of the country.

When I was wrestling in college in 1998/99 at a D2 school in Pa, we had lost about 7 college programs due to “title 9”. My program got cut after our freshman year. The reality was no one was watching wrestling and we had no leaders. Gable and others would have to save it from the olympics later. I truly believe that the rise in popularity of UFC along with wrestlers like Ortiz, Liddell, Hughes, and many others to follow saved the sport. It’s also led to the growing of women’s wrestling along with the popularity of Jiu Jitsu. Thank God we’ve had ambassadors of the sport like Gable on the world stage at such crucial times to remind us that we don’t need the creeps like DuPont anywhere near us.

LMFAO. I am a blowhard, fake and asskisser huh? That is rich and patently false.

1.)If you followed me so closely you would know for certain how hard I was on my Athletic Department until Minkel was gone.

2.) Please cite instances where I am fake. Would love to hear it.

3,) Please tell me where I am an asskisser and whose ass do I exactly kiss? Ask the closest fans on here how many disagreements they have had with me over my takes with Iowa when I AM THE ONE being negative.

4.). Finally the one thing I do is give credit to how hard these guys work on and off the mat, because I f**king know how hard it is. I also know how hard it is to compete with PSU, with every possible advantage they have now built into their program.

Oh, and you give yourself WAY more value at this level of wrestling than you actually have. Stick to high school rankings, at least you are decent at that…
I enjoy your posts

Wow -- what a breath of fresh air. If every PSU fan brought that respectful attitude, I'd happily engage. And I'll add that we had plenty of great interactions with PSU fans at Nationals, as we always do. Sadly, the anonymity of a message board often brings out the worst in people, and this board generally attracts the bottom of the PSU fan barrel. You can imagine how old it gets to see PSU fans coming here repeatedly to pound their chests, blow smoke, and add nothing constructive. Unfortunately, as you presumably know, that's the norm around here. You're definitely the exception to the rule, at least based on this post.

I'm sure there have been Iowa fans posting ridiculous things on the PSU board. I wouldn't know, as I've never visited it and never will. I'm sure some of the dumb things posted by Iowa fans over there prompt PSU fans to come here and return the favor. That, too, is unfortunate. In any case, respectful and substantive wrestling talk is always welcome around here; we just rarely get it from PSU fans, at least when PSU is winning. We just get virtually none of it when the Hawks are on top. I guess we can dream.

Wow -- what a breath of fresh air. If every PSU fan brought that respectful attitude, I'd happily engage. And I'll add that we had plenty of great interactions with PSU fans at Nationals, as we always do. Sadly, the anonymity of a message board often brings out the worst in people, and this board generally attracts the bottom of the PSU fan barrel. You can imagine how old it gets to see PSU fans coming here repeatedly to pound their chests, blow smoke, and add nothing constructive. Unfortunately, as you presumably know, that's the norm around here. You're definitely the exception to the rule, at least based on this post.

I'm sure there have been Iowa fans posting ridiculous things on the PSU board. I wouldn't know, as I've never visited it and never will. I'm sure some of the dumb things posted by Iowa fans over there prompt PSU fans to come here and return the favor. That, too, is unfortunate. In any case, respectful and substantive wrestling talk is always welcome around here; we just rarely get it from PSU fans, at least when PSU is winning. We just get virtually none of it when the Hawks are on top. I guess we can dream.

Honestly, I’ve read these boards (both HR and BWI) for a few years and just started posting the past month. There is obvious disrespect from both sides on both boards. And it never happens in person. I always have the best times with Iowa fans. Wrestling is better when there is good wrestling across the board. I think a lot of PSU fans feel vindication from the elite talent we know has always been in Pa and Cael got many to stay home. There is always going to be some proper shit talking. But when it goes over the line I just think some of us reasonable fans have to bring it back down to the place it needs to be. Plus you guys have better deer than we do. And all of us in Pa are jealous of that! Thanks for the consideration man. Appreciated !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT