ADVERTISEMENT

Joined a gym and starting a diet. Anyone up for a weight loss challenge?

If I lost 20% of my weight I would be in really good shape (assuming the weight loss plan gets some muscle on too). I just don't have the motivation.

I'm 5'10" and 235 which sounds obese but even when I was in really good shape I was 180 which, according to BMI, was overweight. My doctor told me not to pay attention to BMI because it doesn't work with my body type. My 'lower half' is thick (butt, thighs, etc.) which I need to keep so I can continue to pound the golf ball past nearly everyone I play with.
Lots of diversity. 230-248 and 5’10 to 6’1

Reactions: WisestIowan
If I lost 20% of my weight I would be in really good shape (assuming the weight loss plan gets some muscle on too). I just don't have the motivation.

I'm 5'10" and 235 which sounds obese but even when I was in really good shape I was 180 which, according to BMI, was overweight. My doctor told me not to pay attention to BMI
Correct, BMI is a load of chit. I don't remember the exact reason, but the guy that invented BMI didn't even intend it to be used as a measurement for fat- atcleast that's what we were told in college.

Reactions: jasonrann
I give myself every advantage. Weigh in the morning before eating or drinking anything, preferably post deuce. My official start weight today was 231.5. Whenever you start just report your start date and update weekly. Sadly, this helped motivate me a bit at the gym tonight. Burned 1,000 calories on the treadmill. That and some smoke show doing gymnastics on uneven bars who was obviously a former gymnast, but maybe her rack was to big so she had to quit.

Tenacious E, is this new gym in Ankeny? If so what one?

Never mind I see you go to Aspen. 2 of my daughters are former gymnasts but they work out at a different gym in Ankeny.

Last edited:
Correct, BMI is a load of chit. I don't remember the exact reason, but the guy that invented BMI didn't even intend it to be used as a measurement for fat- atcleast that's what we were told in college.
Yes, BMI is a load of shiaaaat. When I first started training at the gym my trainer told me something to the effect of: BMI makes no allowance for the relative proportions of bone, muscle and fat in the body. Because bone is denser than muscle and twice as dense as fat ... a person with strong bones, good muscle tone and low fat will have a high BMI.

I am 6 1 and 210 and work out 5 days a week (cardio and weights) and I am considered overweight according to my BMI ... I must just be too damn muscular ... ;);)

Reactions: pink shizzle

This.

My "normal" weight would be between 144 and 188. I would look like I was on death's door if I weighed that with my frame.

Tenacious E, is this new gym in Ankeny? If so what one?

Never mind I see you go to Aspen. 2 of my daughters are former gymnasts but they work out at Trail Point.

If you think Ten E's description fits your daughters, it's your legal obligation to post pics of them. I know they are your daughters but that's in the Terms and Agreements that you agreed to when you signed up.

If you think Ten E's description fits your daughters, it's your legal obligation to post pics of them. I know they are your daughters but that's in the Terms and Agreements that you agreed to when you signed up.

Sorry, I don't think my wife (no pic) or daughters (no pics) will allow that. That is a no from me as well.

I’m old and female and definitely don’t want to bang anyone’s wife but I will play along. No chance I’m posting my weight but I’ve lost just a hair under 20% since June 22 and another 20% from here will put me right at my goal. I need it off before my son’s wedding.

If you are in, I'm in. And +1 to no numbers. I'm still undecided about the banging.

If you are in, I'm in. And +1 to no numbers. I'm still undecided about the banging.
so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.gif

Sorry, I don't think my wife (no pic) or daughters (no pics) will allow that. That is a no from me as well.
I did not consider that said former gymnast might the the daughter of a poster. Oops. But if she was there last night on a trial membership, she's super fit and put on a helluva show. Really passed the time.

Last edited:
I expect crickets to chirp heading into the holiday season but here goes. I half-heartedly started a diet before but wasn't committed. I never worked out. We just joined a gym and I am starting out with cardio only until I hit my target weight, which is 185. I weighed in at 231.5 this morning, so I'm going for a 20% reduction in weight. Anyone else in the throes of starting a program that wants to see who can lose 20% first? Maybe post results on a weekly basis.

Edited to note the entrants/potential entrants. If I missed you just reply and I will add you.
Start Contestant Start

11/12/2019 Tenacious E 231.5
11/12/2019 The_Devil 238
11/12/2019 HawkCapt1912 238
11/11/2019 BABiscuit 243.2
11/12/2019 JohnBasedow 249.4
11/18/2019 Jasonrann
11/12/2019 3boysmom 100%
TBD Cougar63 TBD

I’m in! 204.3 of seriously solid grandpa bod!

I recently got down to 184, then football started! That’s right mathematicians, I’ve Put on 20 since LaborDay.....

Z

I did not consider that said former gymnast might the the daughter of a poster. Oops. But if she was there last night on a trial membership, she's super fit and put on a helluva a show. Really passed the time.

Neither of them were there last night, thank God!

Reactions: Tenacious E
Not to beat you up but

Meh, sort of. Some people are built differently so BMI is not appropriate but for the most part that is what people tell themselves to feel better.

Not to beat you up but

Meh, sort of. Some people are built differently so BMI is not appropriate but for the most part that is what people tell themselves to feel better.
One thing I should have mentioned that would have made a big difference was that this was in a class for exercise science majors and the professor was gearing that more toward those that work out and lift weights. Still, I am not a fan of BMI, even for the common person in many cases.

I'm in.
Ht: 6'0"
Weight Now 204, started at 217 but hit the diet hard 2 months ago.
Slong: 10.75"
Target: 184.

That takes my BMI from overweight to normal.

I'm in.
Ht: 6'0"
Weight Now 204, started at 217 but hit the diet hard 2 months ago.
Slong: 10.75"
Target: 184.

That takes my BMI from overweight to normal.
^^^ thanks for being self-depreciating, lots of guys try to inflate their stats. Also, the leaderboard in the first post has been updated.

Good luck to all of you. I was 6'0" 345 in the summer of 2018. Tried high fat keto. Tried low fat keto. Tried high protein/mod carb/low fat. Tried just counting calories.

Around 195 right now. It's just nice to be able to run around with my sons, lift weights, not be exhausted all the time.

^^^ thanks for being self-depreciating, lots of guys try to inflate their stats. Also, the leaderboard in the first post has been updated.

To be fair to you poors, I've laid off my personal trainer with severance pay during this challenge.

Good luck to all of you. I was 6'0" 345 in the summer of 2018. Tried high fat keto. Tried low fat keto. Tried high protein/mod carb/low fat. Tried just counting calories.

Around 195 right now. It's just nice to be able to run around with my sons, lift weights, not be exhausted all the time.

Man this place sometimes sucks with it's divisiveness, but I'm genuinely really happy for you. That's awesome.

To be fair to you poors, I've laid off my personal trainer with severance pay during this challenge.

Dammit now I feel guilty. I got excited about working out and bought a 24 Hour Fitness yesterday. Maybe I will just donate it to charity.

Man this place sometimes sucks with it's divisiveness, but I'm genuinely really happy for you. That's awesome.

Thanks. The fitness and diet world can be very divisive too. The best diet and workout plan imo might not be the best for everyone but there's no doubt getting in better shape helps your mood, relationships, sleep, etc.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Going to see if this thread can create some motivation for me. I’m in...
206 lbs
6’1”

Goal of 186

Reactions: Tenacious E
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT