ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Jon Budmayr officially official as WR coach

Budmayr joined the Iowa staff from Colorado State, where he served as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 2021. Budmayr spent six seasons at Wisconsin, including the final three as quarterbacks coach. He also served as a quality control assistant (2016-17) and graduate assistant (2015) with the Badgers.

People that say KF knows best...BS.
With that experience he is certainly qualified. A QB coach and an OC should have an excellent understanding of what is necessary for WR's to be successful.

• Haha
Reactions: hawkeye_power
The way I see it. Bud is a lame hire. But he certainly has experience with QBs and OC. He will be running the offense on the sidelines with Lester in the press box. Still think they could have done better but if Lester likes to coach from the box it is somewhat smart to have a guy on the sidelines to manage players

The way I see it. Bud is a lame hire. But he certainly has experience with QBs and OC. He will be running the offense on the sidelines with Lester in the press box. Still think they could have done better but if Lester likes to coach from the box it is somewhat smart to have a guy on the sidelines to manage players
Well, you’d think that Lester would have been able to handpick the WR coach, since that guy was going to be the de facto field OC. I have a hard time believing that KF’s leftover failed analyst was Lester‘s first choice.

He was an analyst/consultant. Now he will be able to coach the WR's. Kirk obviously thinks he will be able to help us on the field and in recruiting. That is good with me. Go Hawks !
He was a "gift from heaven" to help with the offense last year...the WORLD saw how the offense turned out. And you didn't answer my question.

Reactions: jhawk23
We won’t know anything until September. Even the spring / fall highlight reels and practices show a completely different offense than what happens on Saturdays.

We will know exactly who’s in charge and how the season will go when we have a 3rd and 8.

Draw or 4 yard sideline out — nothing changes and season of misery for offense follows

ANYTHING ELSE — maybe there’s some hope

Hey now kids, you ever had a bad boss that made you look bad to the outside world? Well now we can actually see if Bud is the man or not. Let's start with catching lots and lots of balls in practice to eliminate the dropsies.
Low on talent in the WR room. Not getting better.

The best part of this hire is that we got to be outraged when it was clear that he was going to be the wr coach and then outraged again when it was made official. Two outrages for the price of one!
giphy.gif

I highly doubt we sell out this year, not even close. We will see
It will be interesting to see. I don't think we'll sell out over the summer like last season; I don't think the excitement of getting rid of BF will match the excitement of bringing in McNamara. The good news for Iowa is that the the home conference slate is good, and the two rivals (Wisk, Neb) are November games, which means that people are probably more likely to decide before the season they want to attend those, compared to if Northwestern were a November game.

Attendance will be very good at minimum. Iowa football Saturdays are tradition and full of fanfare. Fans are much less likely to abandon the football team based on results compared to the basketball team...

It will be interesting to see. I don't think we'll sell out over the summer like last season; I don't think the excitement of getting rid of BF will match the excitement of bringing in McNamara. The good news for Iowa is that the the home conference slate is good, and the two rivals (Wisk, Neb) are November games, which means that people are probably more likely to decide before the season they want to attend those, compared to if Northwestern were a November game.

Attendance will be very good at minimum. Iowa football Saturdays are tradition and full of fanfare. Fans are much less likely to abandon the football team based on results compared to the basketball team...
Exactly. It would take years of losing football to put a dent in the attendance at Kinnick.

I don't know if people realize it, but Iowa won 10 games last year.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hawkeye_power

I could see ticket sales greatly depend on what the Spring game looks like. If it is the SSDOC, then folks (especially the donors) need to let the AD know they are unhappy.

I highly doubt we sell out this year, not even close. We will see
ISU and Washington will help as well rivalry games against Bucky and Lil' Debbie. It's a weird schedule with two 4 week gaps between home games. Scarcity always helps.

But if the offense continues to look pathetic...you never know. It's not outrageous to envision coming home 2-3 or 3-2 to play Washington.

I could see ticket sales greatly depend on what the Spring game looks like. If it is the SSDOC, then folks (especially the donors) need to let the AD know they are unhappy.
Sell outs. All of them. Only one maybe not will be the first one on Labor Day weekend.

I don’t agree that Hodge and Betts should have been let go; they have both been solid.

I think this is a make or break season for Barnett. OL loaded with experience, guys he’s coached for years and he just got handed an elite LT. Another lackluster OL performance in ‘24 and even senile KF would have to admit that it’s a disaster.

As far as the Lester and Buttmary hires go, if they end up being flops, KF won’t be around long enough to replace them. BG has been taking careful notes I’m sure.
I personally think he's pretty safe. They seem to be getting away from recruiting "Big Ten" ready lineman and recruiting tall, lanky, athletes who they can mold. Their bread and butter. Don't think that'll change in a year.

Reality here is a lot of folks on the staff are safer than we want to believe. Kirk loathed the ever changing coaching landscape when with Belichik and I don't see it changing after 20 years.

Hawk fans were one bad call on Cooper away from a 7-0 home slate last year...and with all the rivals plus national title game WASH at home next year...sellout season.
Now if we lose to ISU, Wis,NW,and Neb this year 2025 could be different.

Reactions: pistachio1999
You think he'd retire or be pushed out for losing 4 or 5 games? I don't.
The scenario described above had 4 HOME losses. 4 home loss plus a guaranteed loss at OSU plus potential losses at Minn and at UCLA puts us at 7 losses. If that happens, then yeah, I could certainly see him step away.

You think he'd retire or be pushed out for losing 4 or 5 games? I don't.
KF would not survive another season if he lost at home to all of those teams mentioned (which would almost certainly include multiple road losses and maybe even another home L to Wash). Gary Horseface ain't the A.D. no more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT