ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Budmayr, the "Offensive Analyst." Kirk calls him a "Gift from Heaven."

Yes, completion percentage is obviously important. Also, Passing yards per attempt is one of the most important stats---which means a QB needs to be throwing downfield and completing those, or hitting his Rbs/Wr's in stride so they get good YAC.

I could see Petras putting an emphasis on dumping a lot of balls to secondary options for short gains and improving his completion percentage but the offense still stagnating.

Foremost, Iowa needs the run game to work and then it can be so-so on offense instead of well below average. Petras should be at his career best as 5th year senior, but I think his happy feet, tendency to spaz, not being quick decision , and beeing a sitting duck in pocket because he is slow footed/doesn't break tackles all add up to a Meh year on offense if Petras is the annointed QB this year.
I don’t…. but what I do wish is I could see how all of the Hawkeye report posters were at 18, 19, 21, 23, 30 and see how they all improved as life went on… Must be a bunch of you guys who were real studs even at 19-20 years old, either that or you’re real dopes now too!

I don’t think he’s putting his career at risk at all. He’s not the OC. The offense has to come little this year to show marked improvement. He already has had amazing testimonials thrown his way by a highly respected long term coach. He had a big career ahead of him after this year whether it be at Iowa or somewhere else.
Mostly agree. I think it’s a smart move for a numbers guy. Hell, Iowa has nowhere to go but up right. My dog might be able to improve the Iowa offense by practicing chasing SP & AP in the backfield. Surely, he brings more to the table.

But, if we get a repeat of 2021 offense then some may ask “what went wrong at Iowa Mr. Budmayr?” It’s super low risk, but not 0% risk either.

yea, no question the Defense has been playing at a higher level than the Offense..
of course what happens this season remains to be seen..

Cory Brada reported that Iowa had a Closed Scrimmage last Saturday..
he says they played 2 quarters of live ball...
and the 1st string offense played against the 2nd and 3rd string defense...

and he says the 1st string only had 2 first downs in 2 quarters of play against the 2nd and 3rd string defense.

that could mean one of two things, in my opinion..
it could mean this is the worst offense we've had since 2012 ...
or it could mean the offense is still working out a few kinks

I'm confident this offense is going to be very good before its all said and done.
so I like to remember these sorts of reports when the time comes... and Iowa is winning.

Brian Ferentz is one of the brightest minds in football...
he's gonna get this thing straightened out

As I’ve gotten older I’ve tried to temper my enthusiasm for Iowa football, and at the age of 52, time moves so fast for this old man.

So I don’t spend one single second wishing they played tomorrow or the next day or whatever, I’m willing to wait it out. With that said old habits die hard and I am jacked up about this defense!!

Homer mentioned it a while back but I happen to believe our second team defense would finish in the top half of this conference statistically…we have crazy talent & depth.

Last edited:
As I’ve gotten older I’ve tried to temper my enthusiasm for Iowa football, and at the age of 52, time move so fast for this old man.

So I don’t spend one single second wishing they played tomorrow or the next day or whatever, I’m willing to wait it out. With that said old habits die hard and I am jacked up about this defense!!

Homer mentioned it a while back but I happen to believe our second team defense would finish in the top half of this conference statistically…we have crazy talent in depth.
52?

you're not an old man.. I'm 52
if you were to call me an old man... thems fightin words

As I’ve gotten older I’ve tried to temper my enthusiasm for Iowa football, and at the age of 52, time move so fast for this old man.

Homer mentioned it a while back but I happen to believe our second team defense would finish in the top half of this conference statistically…we have crazy talent in depth.
I’m older than you. As we get older I think we learn to have more patience and for me, when it comes to Iowa sports, the results/ losses don’t bother as much anymore. I just appreciate having life, my health, my family.

There’s a part of me that wonders if he was also brought in to put pressure on Brian to improve or risk being replaced. I do think he was brought in as much to help Brian -whose greatest sin as OC is to overthink things imo, learn to make decisions faster as it is to help the QB room.

But also to possibly earn Kirks trust as well.
Seriously? Your first theory- you think KF is doing that to his kid? Your second theory is far more practical.

Why wouldn’t he take the job? There’s literally nowhere to go but up for the offense. He gets the offense in the top 100 and he will be a success story. Kirk is doing all he can to make Brian look competent. It would take an act of God to do that, and get the offense to even average.

Why wouldn’t he take the job? There’s literally nowhere to go but up for the offense. He gets the offense in the top 100 and he will be a success story. Kirk is doing all he can to make Brian look competent. It would take an act of God to do that, and get the offense to even average.
For someone who posts a lot on the Iowa boards, you sure are a negative SOB.

some posts seem to be implying that if there's a marked improvement in the offense this year, it would be actually more evidence of poor leadership on the offensive side. or am i misreading?

Seriously? Your first theory- you think KF is doing that to his kid? Your second theory is far more practical.
Just speculation I admit. However, I think we all agree that Kirk would very much like Brian to be his replacement eventually, yes?

however, that’s extremely unlikely at the moment, in light of the hit or miss nature of the offense the last few years, as well as Brian’s connection to the racial issues that impacted the program two years ago. I’d be shocked if there wasn’t at the very least an uncomfortable conversation between Barta and Kirk, imo, reflected in Brian getting a smaller pay increase than the other coordinators.

if the offense doesn’t show marked improvement this year, I think retaining Brian as OC after a second poor showing by the offense gets very difficult.

only comparison I can think of is Bobby Bowden and whichever son was his OC. It took a YEARS to get him replaced despite ample evidence the offense was underperforming with him, because Bobby didn’t want to fire his son.
I think bringing in Budmayr is related to all that. First, by having a new voice in the room, and push Brian to make some changes. But second, to possibly start building a relationship with Kirk in case of the worst case scenario.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I’m older than you. As we get older I think we learn to have more patience and for me, when it comes to Iowa sports, the results/ losses don’t bother as much anymore. I just appreciate having life, my health, my family.
That's crazy lol!!!! I am same as you. You get older and lose people and you realize how short all of this really is and there is no going back.

Reactions: cmhawks99
52?

you're not an old man.. I'm 52
if you were to call me an old man... thems fightin words
I get it brother but six kids, a beautiful awesome, yet extremely strong willed wife and a lot of time in the professional workforce wears a guy down…

But I’ll tell you the Truth, until I look in the mirror or get out of a chair I actually still feel like I’m 30. But I’m going to tell you that mirror shocks me all the time… “Who the hell is that guy“

I wish I could say something profound here, but you are 100% absolutely dead on!! At this point in time for me it’s all about family, friends and Jesus Christ and hopefully as a result of all that doing well by people!

Reactions: F5n5 and frydaze
Doesn't Alabama have like 10 of these Consultants with a great background?
Yep. My first cousin once removed is married to one of Alabama's consultants. I believe his name is Arenas. He used to be a kick returner for AL.

Last edited:
I guess where the rubber meets the highway for me, is… if this defense is truly as good as I believe it is… With the Depth as deep as it appears?!

( A few other great defenses became just “good” because of injuries)

We should pressure many, many, maybe most teams into poor series, quarters and maybe even whole games.

I believe our kick coverage, punt/punt coverage game will be as good as ever and we will flip a lot of fields… I believe our kickers sound somewhat promising and I have to believe with the kind of athletes we have we will have a reasonable kick & punt return game… I want to remind everybody that forgot; we used to have trouble just fielding a damn punt.,Just fielding it saves you 10 to 15 yards of field placement !

I was at the Josh Jackson/Wisconsin game several years back where we spent 50% of the game…in fact most of the first half buried inside our 15!

And again, defensively: I’ve always taken great umbrage with the thought process that we are just “a sound” defense. I’ve always thought we were way more athletic than given credit. With that said we now have four or five guys maybe more on defense alone that are literal freaks, Jack Campbell, Lucas Va Ness, Cooper Dejean, Jestin Jacob’s, Xavier Nwankpa, Aaron Graves… To name but a few….

…and I believe that’s just the beginning and I’ve only referenced people that I’ve heard coaches or other analyst represent them as elite/Uber athletes… I wanna remind everybody also Riley Moss is 6-1 200 pounds and I have to believe with the way he acts and some old high school track times. Don’t be surprised if this guy runs a sub for 4.4 forty at his pro day next year!

We have a Lotta speed, athleticism, strength, talent and most importantly in spades Depth. In some spots three deep. I personally believe!

So, in review yes the offense ultimately will dictate our height. But if we get to the point where we are really struggling to win games, the defense will also not have performed up to what we believe it should?!

Just my six cents….

Because clearly it was more than two…😜

So when BF was just OC and we had a QB coach...then BF took over both positions, where did we add a coach back to be full on the number of coaches we could have? I am obviously missing something. Thanks in advance.

I don’t think he’s putting his career at risk at all. He’s not the OC. The offense has to come little this year to show marked improvement. He already has had amazing testimonials thrown his way by a highly respected long term coach. He has a big career ahead of him after this year whether it be at Iowa or somewhere else.
We don't know about a big career. But he has positioned himself very well at this point. If his input is deemed instrumental in moving us from 108 into the 70's this year, he will be highly sought. His next assignment won't be as easy, but he may very well be up to that challenge and beyond.

Yes, completion percentage is obviously important. Also, Passing yards per attempt is one of the most important stats---which means a QB needs to be throwing downfield and completing those, or hitting his Rbs/Wr's in stride so they get good YAC.

I could see Petras putting an emphasis on dumping a lot of balls to secondary options for short gains and improving his completion percentage but the offense still stagnating.

Foremost, Iowa needs the run game to work and then it can be so-so on offense instead of well below average. Petras should be at his career best as 5th year senior, but I think his happy feet, tendency to spaz, not being quick decision , and beeing a sitting duck in pocket because he is slow footed/doesn't break tackles all add up to a Meh year on offense if Petras is the annointed QB this year.
He actually said that in an interview this fall. Unbelievable. That's already one of our biggest problems.

Someone has to offer him a job first. Not sure he has the success to warrant one right now.
I think if you look at Brian's resume... he is building success for sure..
beginning with being on the O-Line in 2002 (11-2)
to his time in New England as a TE coach (most rec. yds & TD's by TE in NFL history)
his time at Iowa as O-Line coach (Joe Moore award for best O-Line in the country 2016)
and now his time as OC :
beating Ohio State in 2017
2nd best offense in the Big Ten in 2020

when he gets this offense turned around... he'll be more than ready to take over as the Head Coach for the Iowa Hawkeyes.

and who knows... maybe Budmayr is the guy who comes in and takes over as OC

An eye on him? So with Iowa's monumental problems and no solutions, they thought so highly of him that they were initially willing to pay him nothing?

There is no reach too far for some apologists.

Am guessing the spring was also a mutual tryout of sorts to see if they were a good fit. I’m sure Kirk didn’t want to repeat the Greg Davis experience.
He actually said that in an interview this fall. Unbelievable. That's already one of our biggest problems.

They say it every year. Completion % has always been a point of emphasis. This is not a new development.

So when BF was just OC and we had a QB coach...then BF took over both positions, where did we add a coach back to be full on the number of coaches we could have? I am obviously missing something. Thanks in advance.
I think that is where this guy comes in. He was unpaid and now he is paid.

An eye on him? So with Iowa's monumental problems and no solutions, they thought so highly of him that they were initially willing to pay him nothing?

There is no reach too far for some apologists.
Maybe Kirk let him stay in his pool house rent free.

Obviously, Budmayr wants to be in the coaching field and has many, many years of life left in him.

The fact he signed with Iowa shows that the Iowa offense is capable of noticeable improvement (surely he did the “analytics” here). This guy is taking a professional risk to his career if it does not work out with the Iowa Offense in 2022 (marked by his short term contract).
There is greater reward than risk IMO. The offense can only get better based how we performed to others in country. Based on Kirk’s comment this could be a one and done and move on to greener pastures. I am very intrigued on how this plays out.

There is greater reward than risk IMO. The offense can only get better based how we performed to others in country. Based on Kirk’s comment this could be a one and done and move on to greener pastures. I am very intrigued on how this plays out.
If he is a big part in helping move the Offense numbers up the charts by 30 or 40 spots in year one, I hope it is not one and done.

Obviously, Budmayr wants to be in the coaching field and has many, many years of life left in him.

The fact he signed with Iowa shows that the Iowa offense is capable of noticeable improvement (surely he did the “analytics” here). This guy is taking a professional risk to his career if it does not work out with the Iowa Offense in 2022 (marked by his short term contract).
This guy can't be taking too much of a professional risk. With an offense that ranked about 120 last year, the only way to go this year is up. He's kind of like a rope salesman to a man stuck in quicksand.

Not to argue, and certainly not to defend BF, but ...

If you were a CFO for a large, complex business and the company hired a data analyst to provide you with better information - he would be in a position of "helping you", but not teaching you how to be the CFO.

If I had to guess, I'd say the Analyst is charting the formations/plays that have worked against certain defenses and ones that don't - and things similar to that.

For example, I've always wondered, as most fans have, why Iowa simply doesn't have many open receivers. Perhaps he is tweaking the pass routes for better timing and coordination. For example, if there are 3 guys in the pattern and the play is designed so all 3 are "supposed" to be open at the same time, the QB doesn't have a progression to look at. But, if one guy is open in 3 seconds, the other one in 4 seconds and the 3rd is open at 5 seconds (just examples), the the QB can go through an actual progression and find the open guy.

The Hawks have had poor results on offense - I don't think it's simply because of SP or the line not blocking or a bad play call. I think Iowa has a poorly "designed" offense that even a good offense would struggle with. Maybe the Analyst can bring the offense up to date.
Open 5 - 7 yards after 2 sec. (likely Blitz route call), open 8 -1 2 yards after 3 sec., and 13 to deep at 4 sec. To get 5 seconds to pass the ball would be a dream (would need a 12 yard shot gun snap) to start.

Well the super good news for “that” one particular aspect of our fan base is….if we improve they can still bitch about how awful Brian is…win/win for those guys 😊
If the offense improves significantly I don't really care who gets credit, but the overall performance of the offense is the responsibility of the OC so it should be Brian who gets the blame or the credit for it.

I agree but it would be extremely nice if we could have a national championship before we all pass on because….in heaven there is no beer!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT