ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Budmayr, the "Offensive Analyst." Kirk calls him a "Gift from Heaven."

and did Penn State show us how bad our OL is?

not sure what happened to the "bullies of the B1G...."

it seems like OL recruiting has slipped...too many misses....

Idk - to some extent Penn state simply has a very good DL; so I’m not sure what combination of their line being that good, ours being bad or somewhere in between.

I think the OL is improved, just not where we want them to be.

Reactions: Franisdaman
If you’re looking at guys that are going to run, then no. But I’m talking about being able to move in the pocket, escape if necessary and handle the rollout pass we use, then yeah I’d argue most Iowa quarterbacks have had decent mobility. Brad banks as the paragon of mobility only averaged 32.5 yards per game rushing.
And the rest about 3?........

Kirk believes in the pro style offense, for better or for worse. He believes in running the ball. The problem is you need to have a good OL to open up the holes for the run game and to protect your statue at QB.

When's the last time you would say Iowa had a good/great OL?

F8cTOmLWAAAjrTZ

after reading that and one of the linked articles i’ve become convinced that the iowa offense will show up this year. now my main worry is pu might poach budmayr along with ragaini and wetjen next year. :)

We had so much hope in Aug, 2022 when you posted this. Brian was getting the help he needed. Then 8-5 happened.

Then we brought in Cade McNamara, Erick All, and Kaleb Brown. That surely was going to help the offense THIS SEASON. Our offense is dead last in the country.

So much for the "gift from heaven," which is what Kirk called him.

Unfortunatley they didn't show up last year or this year

Don't think Jon will get poached either :)
everything went down the tubes on offense this year. at this point, a decision has been made and there was no other option. just hope everyone involved are mature enough to make the right moves forward. beth has provided a clear path to remain successful in the short-term and long-term, hope we take it.

Reactions: Franisdaman
everything went down the tubes on offense this year. at this point, a decision has been made and there was no other option. just hope everyone involved are mature enough to make the right moves forward. beth has provided a clear path to remain successful in the short-term and long-term, hope we take it.
i think BF should have taken a walk (and still be paid) and let Jon call the plays

Story from today (Aug 23) from HawkCentral.

Some excerpts:

One of the Iowa football program’s most interesting hires of the 2022 offseason has gone from a volunteer consultant to a well-paid offensive analyst.

Jon Budmayr will earn $15,833 per month over a six-month period — totaling just under $95,000 — to help elevate the Iowa quarterbacks room. The salary details were obtained Tuesday by the Des Moines Register via a freedom-of-information request.

Budmayr, 31, has been credited by top-two QBs Spencer Petras and Alex Padilla for advancing the Hawkeyes’ passing game and praised by head coach Kirk Ferentz as "a gift from heaven."

He played for rival Wisconsin and was the quarterbacks coach there from 2018 to 2020 before spending one season as Colorado State’s offensive coordinator. In 2019, Budmayr oversaw one of the most efficient offenses in Wisconsin history with a team completion percentage of 70.1% behind starter Jack Coan. Completion percentage has been a stated high priority for Iowa offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz.

Budmayr officially joined the Iowa program March 1 as a “special consultant to the head coach and football staff." His role, as it has been explained by coaches and players, was to help assist Brian Ferentz, who has been transitioning to the role of quarterbacks coach after the departure of five-year quarterbacks coach Ken O'Keefe.

According to the latest agreement with Iowa, Budmayr was hired as a “Temporary Professional Employee” and will serve with the Hawkeyes from July 18, 2022 to January 20, 2023. Budmayr signed the agreement on June 28. He is reporting to Austin Showalter, the Hawkeyes’ director of analytics.

The university has declined media requests to interview Budmayr and did not make him available at the football team’s recent media day. Certainly, if Iowa’s embattled passing game has increased success this season, Budmayr will receive some of the credit ... and would make himself marketable for future coaching positions.

Any one have any Bucky friends (Torbs?) - I gotta think they were more than happy to see Budmayr join our coaching staff.....

I'm not sure what Budmayr does to earn his money, but I'm pretty sure he can't work hands on with any players. NCAA rules allow 1 HC and 10 assistants. They also allow 4 GA's but he doesn't count as that. I was under the assumption he could work with Brian on the game plan but couldn't be on the sideline or on a headset during the game.

Reactions: ichawk24
Jon Budmayr is 32 right now (turns 33 in December). Is that on the younger side for a P5 college OC?

For comparison, Brian was 34 when he was promoted to OC. Of course, we all know Brian was a wonderkid. 😉

Budmayr is not qualified to be the OC. He has 5 years as a P5 QB coach and one year as a G5 OC followed by a firing.

Kirk isn't going to jump a guy from analyst to the 3rd-highest paying job on staff.

I could see him become the QB coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT