ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan could be back on one condition

iowahawkeyes2020

Team MVP
Mar 1, 2020
Honestly I am all for players making money off NIL but we need to move on from Bohannon. He’s a liability in too many games because of lack of athleticism and inability to defend at any level.

We need a shooter. If he's willing to change his role, he could be a wonderful addition. We need our other PG's to develop and be ready next year.

This is the thing. I'm all for him coming back if it's a bench role playing 10-15 mins a game. I simply can't trust Fran though to not start him and play him close to 30. If he comes back I don't know how you can stick around for another year if you are Toussaint.

Jordan is already in Iowa's record books. I have no doubt he could help Iowa win games next year with his 3 point shooting and the NCAA has given this years players the option to return next season.
After 5 years we know his strength and weaknesses, we know the pain and the work he went though to compete at the highest level.
If he is willing to return and play spot minutes, who are we to keep him from returning for a 6th year.
I just don't want him to inhibit the development of Joe T, Ahron, or Tony because these players are now the future of Iowa basketball. Enough said.

His family is one of the most affluent ones in the Marion/CR area. Dude needs cash? Haha, now _that's_ funny!

Reactions: HawkInArk
Maybe he is just tired of seeing gambling sites use his image to make money while he can’t even make money doing his own podcast? Everyone here complaining isn’t actually paying attention to what the players are wanting. He doesn’t want Iowa to pay him, he wants to make his own money, with his own talents and work.

Reactions: hawkeyekid
Maybe he is just tired of seeing gambling sites use his image to make money while he can’t even make money doing his own podcast? Everyone here complaining isn’t actually paying attention to what the players are wanting. He doesn’t want Iowa to pay him, he wants to make his own money, with his own talents and work.
Yeah, **** his teammates that want to actually win games, JBo's in it for the money.

Reactions: HawkInArk
In theory this bill sounds great. In reality, it would be VERY easy to exploit in recruiting.

Tell a hot recruit you'll give him 100k to come to your school, then basically launder the money through his "name and likeliness earnings."

Have him appear at a booster event, pay him 10k, and have him just say he made that money off autographs at the event if the NCAA asks about it. Have him appear at 10 events, and you've essentially just paid him 100k to attend your school.

Smart schools would set up entire departments to help athletes maximize their name and likeliness earnings....that would be a HUGE recruiting advantage.

Just pay him his 12 dollars he wants for his podcast and lets all move on!!

In theory this bill sounds great. In reality, it would be VERY easy to exploit in recruiting.

Tell a hot recruit you'll give him 100k to come to your school, then basically launder the money through his "name and likeliness earnings."

Have him appear at a booster event, pay him 10k, and have him just say he made that money off autographs at the event if the NCAA asks about it. Have him appear at 10 events, and you've essentially just paid him 100k to attend your school.

Smart schools would set up entire departments to help athletes maximize their name and likeliness earnings....that would be a HUGE recruiting advantage.

I remember during Barry Switzers time at Oklahoma many players were pizza delivery drivers. They would deliver some pizzas to some alumni, boosters and important people and get like a $300 tip. Trying to enforce this stuff would be a nightmare i would imagine

Reactions: vacuum_cleaner
This is not about how much money his parents have.
To an extent it is. He has enough money should he need it. There are many of us like him that don't need extra cash. He's had a great ride and a nice athletic scholarship. I had an academic one. Last I checked he isn't Larry Bird. He can take his nil with him because it's going to make him precisely nil.

Reactions: Dargo and 24 so far
To an extent it is. He has enough money should he need it. There are many of us like him that don't need extra cash. He's had a great ride and a nice athletic scholarship. I had an academic one. Last I checked he isn't Larry Bird. He can take his nil with him because it's going to make him precisely nil.
Did your academic scholarship stop you from making money off of those skills?

Reactions: Hendy hawk
One other thing is that Jordan knew that the chance of this helping him make money was very slim, but open the door for all the players that come after. So this whole “he’s selfish” crap is another example of not even listening or trying to understand what is going on.

Reactions: drew_hawk
One other thing is that Jordan knew that the chance of this helping him make money was very slim, but open the door for all the players that come after. So this whole “he’s selfish” crap is another example of not even listening or trying to understand what is going on.
I don't come to the conclusion that he's selfish based on this.

I do it based on his entire body of work, and the fact that he's spent half of his career talking shit on Twitter and being an attention whore.

I have no issue with NIL legislation. I have plenty of issue with Jordan Bohannon trying to use it solely to make money. If it was truly about helping Iowa win, he wouldn't need to be convinced, and I'd welcome him back, albeit in a reduced role. But he's essentially trying to strongarm Iowa basketball by saying "sure I'll come back, but only if you pay me", which is a huge middle finger to his teammates and the Iowa program as a whole.

Schools already are doing stuff under the table. In my opinion, let kids earn as much as they can. If a booster wants to give money to a player, fine. Does it really matter if a booster is giving money to the athletes vs. the coaches or facilities? I’d rather it go to the players in many cases. I don’t think the schools should pay them but beyond that, just open everything up. It would probably break up a few schools getting every recruit.

Reactions: McIlraveysMullet
Did your academic scholarship stop you from making money off of those skills?
No. But I didn't get free meals, have an audience of 15k to display my mad skillz, a training table, clothes/shoes and hos that cream for Mr. Biochemistry.

The solution here is simple. Yank all athletic scholarships, allow them to nil. Stop calling yourself a student athlete. Negotiate some deal with the school to call yourself a Hawkeye. Then if you make coin, good for you. I'm sure most d1 athletes will love that arrangement.

Try China then.

Schools already are doing stuff under the table. In my opinion, let kids earn as much as they can. If a booster wants to give money to a player, fine. Does it really matter if a booster is giving money to the athletes vs. the coaches or facilities? I’d rather it go to the players in many cases. I don’t think the schools should pay them but beyond that, just open everything up. It would probably break up a few schools getting every recruit.

That's my point, though. In theory, this sounds great....just let the athletes profit from their name, image, and likeliness. I honestly think 90% of fans, players, everyone would agree with that.

But if it's left unchecked, it would be the easiest thing in the world for schools to exploit this to pay for recruits under the disguise of NIL earnings. Come here and we'll pay you $100k...we'll tell the NCAA it was money you earned for autographs at various booster events. Or come out with a t-shirt and we'll have a few boosters buy up $100k worth as your payment for coming here. Under these rules, both would be legit.

I really think that, in a very short time, this would turn recruiting into nothing but a bidding war. Maybe there's some under the table money these days, but I really don't think it's that widespread. What coach is going to risk his job paying $3-4 million annually (and his reputation) by paying a recruit?

But under this proposed rule, paying players would be pretty much fair game.

Reactions: ChiDoc
If college athletes can sell their likeness then it becomes a shitty aau like scene run by shoe companies.

You'd have the shoe companies making their own Allstars teams.

It will ruin college basketball.

If JBRO wants to make don't play college basketball, be a pro.

Also, it would be VERY interesting if specific states made this legal while others didn't. Man, talk about a recruiting advantage. Come to Iowa, where you can earn as much as you want on your name, image, likeliness....or go to Illinois, or Texas, or wherever, where you can't earn anything.

If players are allowed to sign endorsement deals college basketball will be unrecognizable in 10 years.

If a player feels like they need to make money, do something else.

There are infinite other ways to make money.

I’ve seen gambling sites use Luka’s image....Jordan’s? No freaking way.

Reactions: RocknRollface
That's my point, though. In theory, this sounds great....just let the athletes profit from their name, image, and likeliness. I honestly think 90% of fans, players, everyone would agree with that.

But if it's left unchecked, it would be the easiest thing in the world for schools to exploit this to pay for recruits under the disguise of NIL earnings. Come here and we'll pay you $100k...we'll tell the NCAA it was money you earned for autographs at various booster events. Or come out with a t-shirt and we'll have a few boosters buy up $100k worth as your payment for coming here. Under these rules, both would be legit.

I really think that, in a very short time, this would turn recruiting into nothing but a bidding war. Maybe there's some under the table money these days, but I really don't think it's that widespread. What coach is going to risk his job paying $3-4 million annually (and his reputation) by paying a recruit?

But under this proposed rule, paying players would be pretty much fair game.

A coach doesn’t have to get involved for a player to get paid currently. A booster can do it themselves behind the scenes.

I understand your bidding war point, I just don’t see it as a problem. It already is a bidding war is some sense. Check out our insane facilities, here is a crazy game room, and on and on. Do you think the players would rather have absurdly nice facilities or something a little more reasonable along with some cash?

I would also say that bidding wars = parity. Go look at the top 100 football recruits. Most are going to like 5-6 schools. If boosters were paying, Clemson isn’t going to sign 20 top guys. Trevor Lawrence would draw a ton of money. So boosters for the school that brings him in probably can’t afford to pay a bunch of other 4-5 star guys. Most schools have money to compete but not sure any can take over unless you get a Boone Pickens type to go crazy. Hell, Iowa has gotten a $7 million and $10 million donations to athletics in the last month or two.

If players are allowed to sign endorsement deals college basketball will be unrecognizable in 10 years.

college is already full of endorsement deals, the money just goes to the school instead of the player. Paying some of it to the players instead of the schools wouldn't change anything in terms of the sport.

Its already changed greatly from 25 or whatever years ago when players went straight to the draft or one and done. Its also changed with these huge TV deals and all the extra money coming in. If anything, money opportunities would keep kids playing in college longer.

Things are always changing, hence the term “adapt or die”. Saying you don’t think players should be able to earn money because you don’t want anything to change doesn’t seem like great reasoning.

He’s not asking to get paid by the University of Iowa. This isn’t hard.
What about "I support NIL" do you not understand?

The thing is NIL is not what these athletes think it's going to be. A lot of them are flat out uneducated or misinformed about the value of their own likeness.

JBo suggested today that Spencer Lee could have a contract with Nike (who is garbage tier when it comes to wrestling shoes) worth millions of dollars, which is flat out preposterous, considering Brands doesn't even make half a million yearly as a HC for THE wrestling school.

My point is JBo is out there making an ass of himself and Iowa for his own benefit, as little as that may be.

A coach doesn’t have to get involved for a player to get paid currently. A booster can do it themselves behind the scenes.

I understand your bidding war point, I just don’t see it as a problem. It already is a bidding war is some sense. Check out our insane facilities, here is a crazy game room, and on and on. Do you think the players would rather have absurdly nice facilities or something a little more reasonable along with some cash?

I would also say that bidding wars = parity. Go look at the top 100 football recruits. Most are going to like 5-6 schools. If boosters were paying, Clemson isn’t going to sign 20 top guys. Trevor Lawrence would draw a ton of money. So boosters for the school that brings him in probably can’t afford to pay a bunch of other 4-5 star guys. Most schools have money to compete but not sure any can take over unless you get a Boone Pickens type to go crazy. Hell, Iowa has gotten a $7 million and $10 million donations to athletics in the last month or two.
No it wouldn't.

Who do you think pays players now?Nike and Adidas.

If they were allowed to do this with in the rules they would pick a handful of name brand schools to put all the best players on and they would market the hell out of those few schools.

It would be like a handful of G League teams existing inside college basketball.

The rest of college basketball would be irrelevant and people would eventually stop watching.

Reactions: 24 so far
What about "I support NIL" do you not understand?

The thing is NIL is not what these athletes think it's going to be. A lot of them are flat out uneducated or misinformed about the value of their own likeness.

JBo suggested today that Spencer Lee could have a contract with Nike (who is garbage tier when it comes to wrestling shoes) worth millions of dollars, which is flat out preposterous, considering Brands doesn't even make half a million yearly as a HC for THE wrestling school.

My point is JBo is out there making an ass of himself and Iowa for his own benefit, as little as that may be.

Agree on the Nike piece; however, I think athletes can make serious bank from fan / booster involvement, depending on how the rules are crafted. There are a lot of Iowa fans who would chip in money to get Spencer Lee types to go and stay at their school.

Its already changed greatly from 25 or whatever years ago when players went straight to the draft or one and done. Its also changed with these huge TV deals and all the extra money coming in. If anything, money opportunities would keep kids playing in college longer.

Things are always changing, hence the term “adapt or die”. Saying you don’t think players should be able to earn money because you don’t want anything to change doesn’t seem like great reasoning.
I do think they should be able to earn money.

Read closely. If they want to earn a pay check DO SOMETHING ELSE. No one is stopping them.

Why is not wanting something to be ruined not good reasoning?

Many things change for the worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT