ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Johnson

Nice to see him and a few others having success in MMA. I see he fought 205 which seems right. I remember when he and Rasing were battling for the spot, someone on here said they wished our Johnson was bigger.

Reactions: anon_hc7hkvtk15hp5
Once you become UFC champ, can the HWC count on you for at least a $500 automatic monthly donation?

As soon as I start making better money, I'll set up a monthly auto-donation of $50 and once the purses get bigger, so will the donations!! Maybe by the time I'm a champion in a major organization, we can double that $500 a month.

As always, Go Hawks....

As soon as I start making better money, I'll set up a monthly auto-donation of $50 and once the purses get bigger, so will the donations!! Maybe by the time I'm a champion in a major organization, we can double that $500 a month.

As always, Go Hawks....
Well, I hope it was clear I was kidding, but:

1. I do seriously hope you become champ of the UFC or other major organization,

2. I love your plan for automatic monthly donations, and

3. Let's make that $500-$1,000 per month happen! That's a win-win!

By the way, I'm sure Hawk fans would enjoy rooting for you. Totally understand if you don't want to reveal your actual name, but maybe you can provide some clues so that Hawk fans interested in MMA can sort it out. Would be a great way for you to pick up a whole bunch of new fans!

Best of luck!

Last edited:

By the way, I'm sure Hawk fans would enjoy rooting for you. Totally understand if you don't want to reveal your actual name, but maybe you can provide some clues so that Hawk fans interested in MMA can sort it out. Would be a great way for you to pick up a whole bunch of new fans!

Best of luck!
Replying to myself here. . . . Had another brainstorm -- Hawk fans might even start pledging donations to the HWC for your wins like we do for tournament wins by the Hawks and HWC guys. Even better!

Reactions: Huck and pumpdog20

Best of luck!

I assumed you were only being half-serious. Lol Regardless, I have been a lifelong Hawk fan and wrestled from 5yo until my Jr. Year of H.S. I was decent but while in H.S. I started skipping school, smoking cigs/weed, drinking, causing minor mischief, etc. I could have achieved so much more, but I made the wrong choices. Fast forward 10 years, I am an undefeated professional mixed martial artist with a beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, great parents(divorced), a great gym/coach/mentor in Master Justin Faiferlick in Fort Dodge and just started a USA Wrestling Charter with Troy Greder in Rockwell City for the South Central Calhoun boys to wrestle during the summer and will hopefully be doing my last classes for my coaching endorsement before winter and apply for an SCC H.S. Wrestling paid Asst. Coach position.

My name is Steven Merrill, by the way, and I would greatly appreciate any support from my Hawkeye brethren.

I assumed you were only being half-serious. Lol Regardless, I have been a lifelong Hawk fan and wrestled from 5yo until my Jr. Year of H.S. I was decent but while in H.S. I started skipping school, smoking cigs/weed, drinking, causing minor mischief, etc. I could have achieved so much more, but I made the wrong choices. Fast forward 10 years, I am an undefeated professional mixed martial artist with a beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, great parents(divorced), a great gym/coach/mentor in Master Justin Faiferlick in Fort Dodge and just started a USA Wrestling Charter with Troy Greder in Rockwell City for the South Central Calhoun boys to wrestle during the summer and will hopefully be doing my last classes for my coaching endorsement before winter and apply for an SCC H.S. Wrestling paid Asst. Coach position.

My name is Steven Merrill, by the way, and I would greatly appreciate any support from my Hawkeye brethren.
Great story! Congrats on turning things around like that. Best of luck with MMA and coaching. Sounds like your future is mighty bright. Please keep us posted on when your fights are -- I'm sure quite a few of us will be rooting for you!

I can vouch for Steven. Good kid w/ a huge heart!
He was an unorthodox legger. Would leg the crap out of anyone he could get on top of.
I was an assistant and had Steven for his fresh/soph years.
Small world.

He was an unorthodox legger. Would leg the crap out of anyone he could get on top of.
Small world.

Thanks a bunch Sir! Now I'm just trying to help these young men avoid the path I took at first.

P.S. The legs have continually come in handy during my MMA career and you were one of the very first people to convince me to learn legs. (I had a tendency of doing it without knowing) Hope all is well Coach.

Small world.

Where did you coach?

I coached the final year of RCL (Rockwell City_Lytton), and the first year of RCL-SCAL (Rockwell City Lytton combined with Southern Calhoun).

Man, our 05'-06' RCL-SCAL team was something special. Lots of solid wrestlers through the whole lineup. Qualified 11 for districts in 2A, 7 or 8 Conference Finalists with 4 Champs(I was 135lb. Champ), Won every Tournament through sectionals, Only lost 2 Duals during the entire year(Both to Number 1 Emmetsburg when they had Sundell, Jannsen, Kerber, etc.) The second dual was regionals to qualify for state duals. We averaged like 34 Wins per weight class, back when you couldn't dream of getting 50 matches in a year, let alone 60+ matches like now a days. Despite all of that, I believe we only qualified Mike Helle for state. Wrestled districts in Atlantic after Winning Sectionals in Jefferson. Just had kids in our brackets that were a touch better on that day. I, myself didn't get to wrestle at the district tourney due to poor grades. One of the many things I now convince these younger wrestlers are SO dang important. Keep those f**king grades up!! Or you WILL regret it!! Sorry for the Rant guys, just brought back a lot of great memories....

And I hate to say the word, my Hawkeye brethren, but we had a Sh*t-load of F**. Was one of the more memorable of my near 28 years now.

That was a great year. Sadly we could have even been better, but some of the kids didn't come out because of the combining.
Also, we would have beat Emmetsburg at Regionals but our 215 lb'er was sick, so we had to shuffle some upper weights.
Yes, Helle was our only qualifier. Our 89 lb'er was undefeated but had the number 1 and 3 guys (I think) at sectionals and didn't make it out. All 3 were undefeated or maybe had 1 loss between them.

Reactions: SurgeonMMA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT