ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Dix really impressed me...again

Where did I say Hansen was a “poor athlete?” Maybe you should read, think and get permission from your conservator before posting.
Ok you play with words however you want. You repeatedly say he was not a great athlete, which means what? Was he at least very good? And how many 6’6 guards were there in the NBA who weren’t?

Reactions: littlez
Ok you play with words however you want. You repeatedly say he was not a great athlete, which means what? Was he at least very good? And how many 6’6 guards were there in the NBA who weren’t?
He was a fairly average college athlete. Not great, not terrible. We were comparing him to a Dix and I think Dix is just as good an athlete.

He was a fairly average college athlete. Not great, not terrible. We were comparing him to a Dix and I think Dix is just as good an athlete.
You’ve noticed you’re the only guy in this thread saying this aren’t you?

Dix blocked a guards shot on a drive....the only guy on the Iowa team that blocks shots on regular basis is Kris Murray. DIx has the length and agility to be a really good guard as loing as his shooting holds up.

I've seen some posters compare Dix to Bobby Hansen....I don't think Bobby Hansen was good enough ball handler to play PG like Dix has exhibited so far.
I think comparing Sanford to Hanson is a better comparison. They both go hard to the rim to rebound and mix it up on defense and they both shoot well. Dixon's a little more perimeter oriented and a little bit smaller but not by much

Yet he didn't have a lengthy career in the NBA, I didn't think that was possible by reading some posts in this thread.
Not sure about that. But, I’m not a herd thinker.
Ok I’m going to put this one to rest. I asked a friend of mine who played basketball at UNI at the same time, and was on the floor against Hansen, this question. Let’s just say without further insults that you’re wrong.

I think comparing Sanford to Hanson is a better comparison. They both go hard to the rim to rebound and mix it up on defense and they both shoot well. Dixon's a little more perimeter oriented and a little bit smaller but not by much

it's really hard to compare eras, imo

Bobby, with no 3 point line, averaged 5.6 ppg as a freshmen in 1979-1980 as Iowa reached the Final Four.

He averaged 8.4 ppg in 1980-1981 as Iowa finished 21-7.

He led the 21-8 Hawkeyes with 12.0 ppg in 1981-1982.

As a senior in 1982-1983, he helped lead Iowa to the NCAA Sweet 16, averaging 15.4 points and 5.7 rebounds. As a senior in 1983, he was named as the Hawkeyes' Most Valuable Player.

He was selected by the Utah Jazz in the 1983 NBA draft, the 54th overall pick. He played 10 seasons in the NBA

Couldn't find the quote above, but someone said Hansen didn't play too much in the NBA. I checked and he played for 10 years! Seems like he must have been really good to play that long.

Couldn't find the quote above, but someone said Hansen didn't play too much in the NBA. I checked and he played for 10 years! Seems like he must have been really good to play that long.

yep; 10 years

another thing to keep in mind: He was a freshman at Iowa 42 years ago. The game has evolved a lot since then, especially at the NBA level

Bobby Hansen played in 575 NBA games, averaging 19 minutes and 7 points a game. Solid NBA career.

I played against Bobby in pickup games in Des Moines when he was in high school—-anyone that says he was not a good athlete does not know what an athlete is.

Reactions: NI hawk and littlez
Fran only played 8 vs both Rutgers & Northwestern. Dasonte Bowen did not play in either game.

Minutes vs

RU
.....N'w
36.......37.......Connor
34.......31.......Perkins
29.......25.......Ulis
11..........6.......Dix

Fran only played 8 vs both Rutgers & Northwestern. Dasonte Bowen did not play in either game.

Will Josh get more than 6 minutes today (what he had vs Northwestern)?

Fran mentioned yesterday that Dasonte Bowen is practicing well and that he needs to get Dasonte minutes as well.

Will be interesting to watch.

Fran has to let flow of game influence his sub pattern.
Today will probably be a nail-biter with Illini roster packed with experienced wings. Their frosh Harris is a super quick defensive whiz. Would not like our frosh guards bringing the ball up.

Fran has to let flow of game influence his sub pattern.
Today will probably be a nail-biter with Illini roster packed with experienced wings. Their frosh Harris is a super quick defensive whiz. Would not like our frosh guards bringing the ball up.

Is Ulis any better than Dix?

Just a smidge. Ulis is vet who is slightly better in all facets cept shooting.

I played against Bobby in pickup games in Des Moines when he was in high school—-anyone that says he was not a good athlete does not know what an athlete is.
Bobby graduated the same year from HS as I did. Not same HS. I have heard from several people what a good athlete Bobby was. Probably one of my favorite players. I have met him a few times over the years and he has always been great to speak with.

Speaking of his 3 point shooting, it's a small sample size, but he's shooting 46% (12-26) from three in 19 games played

He also has 19 assists to 6 turnovers

Should Dix be getting at least 15, maybe up to 20, minutes a game? He got only 11 vs Rutgers.
This was the first game that the opponent put a really good athlete on him advancing the ball into the front court, and they really slowed him getting up the floor. We almost didn't get into the offense at all on that last shot of the first half, because he had to keep turning his back to advance the ball. Dix is a solid player and can play the point, BUT if he's really pressured I think you'd see we wouldn't be able to push the ball like Fran wants to. Now at his size I think we could pass the ball up the court and do way less dribbling.

He had 5 first half points.

He played great defense, staying in front of his man.

And the guy has a high basketball IQ. One example: at the 3:40 mark of the 1st half, RU blocked Kris' shot and quickly went the other way and were on a 4 on 1 (Josh Dix) fast break. Dix fouled Mawot Mag on the floor BEFORE what would have been an easy layup, and instead forced a 1 and 1 free throw situation. Mag missed the free throw, saving us 2 (or 3, had he not fouled soon enough) points there.

He added a big 3 pointer in the 2nd half. Soon after, he had another open look for 3, passed it up, and the crowd groaned. Then with 5:22 to go in the 2nd half, he got double teamed on the Rutgers half of the court, quickly stepped around it, started dribbling up court, made the right pass to Filip, who then found Perkins for an easy layup.

In just 11 minutes of playing time, he was 3-4 (75%) from the field (2-3 from three), 8 points, 1 assist, 1 block and 1 helluva game.

It's hard to believe that just over a year ago, on Jan 21, 2022, with just under two minutes left in the fourth quarter between Dix’s Lincoln High School and Le Mars, Josh landed awkwardly and went down with that gruesome leg injury.

Really happy for Dix. Really happy for us fans that he's a Hawkeye.
He’s going to be really good next year, when he’s fully healthy. Funniest Bardo comment the day: “I like Dix.”

Reactions: Bishop1971
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT