ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Ogundele

HawkHeel3

Team MVP
Mar 21, 2015
I must say, his minutes in this game were absolutely huge. His big body was able to bang with the Purdue boys and save Kris and Filip from fouling out. I was hoping all year he would be able to get these type of minutes, but it just hadn't worked out and the team is clicking and he was ready when his number was called. One of those things that kida gets over seen in the win. Hoping this is a spark for the remainder of his career as a HAWKEYE.

I must say, his minutes in this game were absolutely huge. His big body was able to bang with the Purdue boys and save Kris and Filip from fouling out. I was hoping all year he would be able to get these type of minutes, but it just hadn't worked out and the team is clicking and he was ready when his number was called. One of those things that kida gets over seen in the win. Hoping this is a spark for the remainder of his career as a HAWKEYE.
If Josh can take that next step between now and next season, the need to grab a big in the portal diminishes in importance. Not that I would object to landing a big via the portal, but you get my point.

Had no idea about the health issues. His minutes yesterday were incredible. Edey was killing us & then Big O’s presence caused multiple turnovers in key moments. Not to mention his and-one and jelly lay. He has a really great skill set and has beautiful footwork for a guy his size

Had no idea about the health issues. His minutes yesterday were incredible. Edey was killing us & then Big O’s presence caused multiple turnovers in key moments. Not to mention his and-one and jelly lay. He has a really great skill set and has beautiful footwork for a guy his size
The play I loved was when Edey slammed his backside into Josh 3-4 times to back him down and he didn't give an inch.

he showed quickness on that move that i didnt know he had.
He can move well for his size, needs to get reps with those post moves. That play happened because he didn’t hesitate. Prior to yesterday he had been holding the ball for a few seconds in the low post before his move, too much thinking.

Reactions: Ronman
I feel like I’ve seen that game 1,000 times as an iowa fan, from the Purdue perspective. Scrap and fight the whole game, but the other team always seems to have an answer and pulls away at the end. It was nice to see the Hawks on the good side of that. They played really well, I’m super happy for them.

The play I loved was when Edey slammed his backside into Josh 3-4 times to back him down and he didn't give an inch.
But what was even better was that Josh got into his head, and he wasn’t nearly as effective the rest of the game. I saw the anger and frustration on Edeys face.

Josh got into all of their heads. Purdue was angry with themselves and frustrated. Their point guard slammed his fist against the basket padding too, though not directly because of Josh. That was Perk I think.

Josh (and perk and JoeT on defense, plus whole team) literally showed that Iowa was simply not going to get pushed around and would not give up and would not give Purdue a single inch for a single second. Neither of PUs bigs could dominate the game and that’s when their edifice of entitlement began to crack and crumble.

Josh's performance was huge. And Fran putting him in there was a gutsy call that paid off, kudos to him. Can we get Josh on the Frank Garza workout plan?

Why would it be a gutsy call to put Josh in? Fran really had no other option. He's played Josh before vs Purdue and Illinois in B1G play, so it is not like it is unprecedented. The foul trouble just forced his hand.

Both Kris Murray and Rebracca had 2 fouls in 1st half and that is mandatory seat on bench by Fran's own policy. Kris and Rebracca both finished with 4 fouls. One or both would have fouled out if Fran hadn't played JoshO/mulvey some minutes.

Josh's performance was huge. And Fran putting him in there was a gutsy call that paid off, kudos to him. Can we get Josh on the Frank Garza workout plan?
That's the frustrating thing about Josh. He actually appears to have a skillset we could use in the future, but he has resisted efforts to get himself to lose weight and get into better shape. Personally, I realize how hard that is, but I'm not the one that has ambitions to make valuable contributions to a B1G team. Seems like a great young man, but someone needs to get in his head and plant that desire in him and then he has to have the will power and strength to rebuild that large body.. The clock is ticking.

That's the frustrating thing about Josh. He actually appears to have a skillset we could use in the future, but he has resisted efforts to get himself to lose weight and get into better shape. Personally, I realize how hard that is, but I'm not the one that has ambitions to make valuable contributions to a B1G team. Seems like a great young man, but someone needs to get in his head and plant that desire in him and then he has to have the will power and strength to rebuild that large body.. The clock is ticking.
Read the whole thread.

Can't give Josh enough credit for his work yesterday in helping win a Big Ten title. That play where he kept Edey in the lane for 7 seconds, just long enough for the refs to call "3 seconds" for the 2nd time I've seen this season, was HUGE. The four points were awesome. It's great to know Iowa can go 12 deep and beat the #9 team in the country. There's no doubt you spell team I - O - W - A.

Why would it be a gutsy call to put Josh in? Fran really had no other option. He's played Josh before vs Purdue and Illinois in B1G play, so it is not like it is unprecedented. The foul trouble just forced his hand.

Both Kris Murray and Rebracca had 2 fouls in 1st half and that is mandatory seat on bench by Fran's own policy. Kris and Rebracca both finished with 4 fouls. One or both would have fouled out if Fran hadn't played JoshO/mulvey some minutes.
100% agree.
Frans mandatory 2 foul jail policy is why Ogundele got a chance to play today. Nothing more than that.

Ogundele again shows his elite raw power when given a chance to play with the starting unit.

too bad it takes a “break glass only in emergency“ for Fran to play Ogundele.

So does anybody have any insight into what kind of medical issue he was dealing with? I assume something pretty major if the doctors told him he may never play again…

I've always been hoping to see more of Josh O. Having underlying health issues could explain a lot as to why that hasn't happened.

While his minutes are limited, what he brought to the court was not.

The three things from individual players that I enjoyed most yesterday were (in no particular order) :

1. Josh O coming up big against Edey defensively when called upon, plus adding some scoring as icing on top!
2. Joe T. channeling the Tasmanian devil (from classic Looney Tunes for those not old enough to have had the pleasure) and being a disruptive whirlwind all over the court.
3. Perkins continued strong slashing to the bucket and overall aggressive look to score

I've always been hoping to see more of Josh O. Having underlying health issues could explain a lot as to why that hasn't happened.

While his minutes are limited, what he brought to the court was not.

The three things from individual players that I enjoyed most yesterday were (in no particular order) :

1. Josh O coming up big against Edey defensively when called upon, plus adding some scoring as icing on top!
2. Joe T. channeling the Tasmanian devil (from classic Looney Tunes for those not old enough to have had the pleasure) and being a disruptive whirlwind all over the court.
3. Perkins continued strong slashing to the bucket and overall aggressive look to score
Agree and the 8 pts in limited action from Payton Sandfort. He's going to help us alot going forward. Good defense and and good passer. Active. Quick release.

I've been very skeptical that Josh would ever be a major contributor for us even until this game against Purdue. It is an incredible sight to see all of these players just suddenly at the right time and place have that light bulb go on and become a positive contributor to the team success directly on the court. Its got to be the most rewarding season for coach McCaffery at least in his time at Iowa so far.

I hope that Josh refines his game and is a major contributor for the next two years. He works hard when he is on the court. Les Jepsen didn't play much until his senior and he had a very good senior season.

he looked really good. Fran was not kidding when he said he was confident in going to anyone on the bench.

we needed everyone yesterday. and Josh not only played, he contributed in big ways.

FNwUj5zWQAMvlBT

FNwZp4fWUAM8IAb

I can't find it, but someone posted a workout video from him during the offseason that was impressive. Really hope he gets close to being as good as he can be while still a Hawk.

Reactions: BBHawk
Yeah, he was a highlight in a game FULL of highlights. Really fun to see that. He did some nice things.

If Josh can take that next step between now and next season, the need to grab a big in the portal diminishes in importance. Not that I would object to landing a big via the portal, but you get my point.
I sure hope, but I think you gotta play it safe and start searching now. Can't really cross your fingers and only hope imo.
It'll be too late by the time we find out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT