ADVERTISEMENT

Just finishing up a 110 hour fast and feeling great

unIowa

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
This time I did some measurements on my blood glucose, ketones, and blood pressure throughout and here is what I noticed.

This summers drinking really made this harder than when I was doing these sort of fasting runs in the late winter/early spring. I still ate very clean and keto throughout but I think the booze (and I did a lot of it the past 5-6 months) had an impact.

1. Blood pressure was normal to start 120/80 typically, resting heart rate in the high 60s/low 70s. Throughout this progressively lowered and got to what I would consider low, around 105/65 with resting heart rate in the high 50s.

2. The first few days my blood sugar levels went up over 100 which I found odd, at least in the morning before going down into the low 80s throughout the day. Did some research on this and I found this isn't as unusual as I thought, part of it is what is referred to as the dawn phenomenon where your body releases cortisol to help wake your body up for the day. Couple that with insulin levels being very low (bc I have not been eating) and it keeps that level a bit higher initially. The switch came about day 3 as my body (more so my liver) was out of sugar reserves and that is when my morning levels started to lower into the low mid 70s upon waking. Today I was at 71 when I woke up but yesterday late afternoon I had a reading of 59. If this got too low a cup of coffee with a splash of heavy cream seemed to bring me up 10 points so I leaned on that from time to time. I think it was mostly the caffeine that helped raise it up a bit and not the cream, I just like coffee with cream and HWC has zero carbs so it wouldn't induce any sugar/insulin response. It is cheating but only a little and it was seriously just a splash, I wasn't doing this to kill myself.

3. Ketone readings started around .5 and yesterday afternoon, they gradually worked their way up. By day 2 my readings were around 1.5, day 3 they were in the mid/high 3s and yesterday afternoon they peaked at 4.7. The last day my glucose to keytone ratio (GKI) went below 1.0 which is considered to therapeutic level which is more and more being used for cancer patients to help slow/regress their tumors/spread of cancer. Getting to around these GKI levels has also been shown to help clean out old broken cells (a process called autophagy), which is suggested could help be preventative from developing cancers and is good for both metabolic and cardiovascular health among other things.

The crazy thing is around day 3 my hunger subsided and energy levels went though the roof, this happened at the same time my ketone readings when over 1.5 while my blood glucose levels were leveling out into the low 80s to mid 70s, all of my sugar reserves must have finally been spent. My weight was down around 8 pounds but I am sure to gain 3 of that back, from yesterday to this morning it went down another 3 pounds and I was staying plenty but not overly hydrated. What sucks is breaking this fast as I am now starting to feel really awesome but I want to drink this weekend and I am not in any way doing that 5 days fasted, I would be a wreck.

I think next time I am going to go for 7 days and maybe a 10 day, the hard part is how do I do this when I like to have a few glasses of wine on the weekends. Going to have to just carve out a no booze weekend some time, which for me seems to be a difficult task.

Any of you other guys do something like this and measure these types of readings, I find it all very interesting. Also to the guys that say you will lose muscle mass, it has been shown that HGH levels increase the first 5-7 days of a fast so while you won't be feeding your muscles with sugars you certainly will not lose lean body tissues if you continue to be active throughout, hell it could even make you functionally stronger.

t3jo53wkzk5z.jpg

You're doing this why exactly? Do you not revert back to normal eating and drinking patterns shortly after?
I've got a good buddy who's wife makes him do this every so often. He suffers thru it, he gets to drill her extra special a few times bc he followed her orders, then a day or too later hes eating has station burgers and drinking multiple 36oz Mt Dews.
The things men will do for some nookie I guess...

You're doing this why exactly? Do you not revert back to normal eating and drinking patterns shortly after?
I've got a good buddy who's wife makes him do this every so often. He suffers thru it, he gets to drill her extra special a few times bc he followed her orders, then a day or too later hes eating has station burgers and drinking multiple 36oz Mt Dews.
The things men will do for some nookie I guess...

I eat pretty clean. If you read the whole post you will see the health benefits it can bring about, now that I am over 40 apparently I have to start worrying about those things.

https://www.healthline.com/health/autophagy

I think it is a "to each your own" situation. I think there are benefits to fasting and Keto but it just isnt something that I want to commit to. I just enjoy eating and not having to worry about every little thing. I am 42, work out about every day in some fashion but I just cant find it in me to take it to that level. Maybe I will someday.

This time I did some measurements on my blood glucose, ketones, and blood pressure throughout and here is what I noticed.

This summers drinking really made this harder than when I was doing these sort of fasting runs in the late winter/early spring. I still ate very clean and keto throughout but I think the booze (and I did a lot of it the past 5-6 months) had an impact.

1. Blood pressure was normal to start 120/80 typically, resting heart rate in the high 60s/low 70s. Throughout this progressively lowered and got to what I would consider low, around 105/65 with resting heart rate in the high 50s.

2. The first few days my blood sugar levels went up over 100 which I found odd, at least in the morning before going down into the low 80s throughout the day. Did some research on this and I found this isn't as unusual as I thought, part of it is what is referred to as the dawn phenomenon where your body releases cortisol to help wake your body up for the day. Couple that with insulin levels being very low (bc I have not been eating) and it keeps that level a bit higher initially. The switch came about day 3 as my body (more so my liver) was out of sugar reserves and that is when my morning levels started to lower into the low mid 70s upon waking. Today I was at 71 when I woke up but yesterday late afternoon I had a reading of 59. If this got too low a cup of coffee with a splash of heavy cream seemed to bring me up 10 points so I leaned on that from time to time. I think it was mostly the caffeine that helped raise it up a bit and not the cream, I just like coffee with cream and HWC has zero carbs so it wouldn't induce any sugar/insulin response. It is cheating but only a little and it was seriously just a splash, I wasn't doing this to kill myself.

3. Ketone readings started around .5 and yesterday afternoon, they gradually worked their way up. By day 2 my readings were around 1.5, day 3 they were in the mid/high 3s and yesterday afternoon they peaked at 4.7. The last day my glucose to keytone ratio (GKI) went below 1.0 which is considered to therapeutic level which is more and more being used for cancer patients to help slow/regress their tumors/spread of cancer. Getting to around these GKI levels has also been shown to help clean out old broken cells (a process called autophagy), which is suggested could help be preventative from developing cancers and is good for both metabolic and cardiovascular health among other things.

The crazy thing is around day 3 my hunger subsided and energy levels went though the roof, this happened at the same time my ketone readings when over 1.5 while my blood glucose levels were leveling out into the low 80s to mid 70s, all of my sugar reserves must have finally been spent. My weight was down around 8 pounds but I am sure to gain 3 of that back, from yesterday to this morning it went down another 3 pounds and I was staying plenty but not overly hydrated. What sucks is breaking this fast as I am now starting to feel really awesome but I want to drink this weekend and I am not in any way doing that 5 days fasted, I would be a wreck.

I think next time I am going to go for 7 days and maybe a 10 day, the hard part is how do I do this when I like to have a few glasses of wine on the weekends. Going to have to just carve out a no booze weekend some time, which for me seems to be a difficult task.

Any of you other guys do something like this and measure these types of readings, I find it all very interesting. Also to the guys that say you will lose muscle mass, it has been shown that HGH levels increase the first 5-7 days of a fast so while you won't be feeding your muscles with sugars you certainly will not lose lean body tissues if you continue to be active throughout, hell it could even make you functionally stronger.
What gadgets are you using to measure glucose, ketones and such?

Have you ever done a 7 day fast?

What gadgets are you using to measure glucose, ketones and such?

I just bought a Fora 6, that will do both. Keto-MoJo is another one that will do both glucose and keto monitoring. There is finger pricking involved and you need to use a separate strip for each measurement but one poke gets the job done (that's what she said) as long as you are quick enough to move from one measuring strip to the next. Cost me about $70, will have to buy more strips later on and apparently the keto ones are fairly expensive but the glucose ones are pretty cheap.

I have not but I don't think it will be any more difficult than the 4-5 day ones I have done, honestly after day 3 it is pretty easy.

I assume your family isn't doing the fast too. Do you just sit at the dinner table and watch them eat?

Reactions: CJ Beat Hard
I assume your family isn't doing the fast too. Do you just sit at the dinner table and watch them eat?

Kids going in all directions anymore for school activities during the week. I have never fasted over the weekend when we get a chance to sit down as an entire family to eat.

I have not but I don't think it will be any more difficult than the 4-5 day ones I have done, honestly after day 3 it is pretty easy.
https://www.bluezones.com/2018/10/f...y-nobel-prize-winning-research-on-cell-aging/

The doctor that won the Nobel prize for Physiology due to his being able to prove Autphagy, that when fasting, the body attacks the weak and old cells first for energy, advocates a 7-10 day fast once per year to clean out the bad cells, including cancer cells.

Last edited:
https://www.bluezones.com/2018/10/f...y-nobel-prize-winning-research-on-cell-aging/

The doctor that won the Nobel prize for Physiology due to his being able to prove Autphagy, that when fasting, the body attacks the weak and old cells first, advocates a 7 day fast once per year to clean out the bad cells, including cancer cells.

I have done probably five 4-5 day fasts this year. Then I do a lot of OMPD (one meal per day).

Taking the wife out to dinner tomorrow night for her birthday, we will get a bottle of wine plus another glass or two each, I'll probably get smashed...maybe she will rape me.

Anybody else notice that if you eat a really small amount of food for a few days in a row then your stomach shrinks and you're subsequently not hungry and can lose weight easier?

I wonder about negative effects on metabolism, but it does lead to weight loss. Especially if you're not exercising hard.

Anybody else notice that if you eat a really small amount of food for a few days in a row then your stomach shrinks and you're subsequently not hungry and can lose weight easier?

I wonder about negative effects on metabolism, but it does lead to weight loss. Especially if you're not exercising hard.
I have notice something but not sure if it’s physical. I am about 6’4 and have went from 225 to 191 since early August.

I have stopped snacking between meals and try to avoid carbs when it’s easy ( have more salads when I am making my own lunch, omlettes instead of toast, and avoid fries as a side). I dont feel hungry all that much. I still eat until I am full for home meals and don’t avoid carbs when my wife cooks, I eat whatever she makes.

I also bike about 600 miles a month which makes losing weight easier and seems to suppress appetite.

I would likely struggle losing weight just by cutting calories. I would rather ride bike and pig out.

I have done probably five 4-5 day fasts this year. Then I do a lot of OMPD (one meal per day).

Taking the wife out to dinner tomorrow night for her birthday, we will get a bottle of wine plus another glass or two each, I'll probably get smashed...maybe she will rape me.
I actually found more success with the opposite approach of one large meal. I sometimes eat 4-5 small meals per day. But I have to force breakfast down because I'm generally not very hungry in the morning.

The iWatch of course.

What was the weight loss number? Sorry if already posted.

8 pounds, I'll gain 3 back. When you do this your body ends up flushing out a lot of toxins that are being broken apart as your cells start utilizing fat tissues for energy (we all store toxins in our fat cells) and with that your kidney/liver has to clear those items out bc of that you end up flushing out a lot of water.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT