ADVERTISEMENT

Just How Bad Must Lainez Be?

IowasLaw

HB All-State
Nov 19, 2019
Through 9 weeks, Deacon Hill ranks 130th out of 130 QBs in both completion percentage to yards per game. A feat never before accomplished by an Iowa QB. Meanwhile, of the 129 starters better than Hill, TWELVE are freshmen who are throwing for at least 142 yards per game (50 yards more than Hill) with completion percentages above 59% (20% better than Hill). Obviously, in this day and age, it doesn't matter what year a QB is in school. If he has talent, he will go out there and make plays.

Today at Kirk's press conference, when faced with a question regarding Hill's abysmal performance, Kirk justified sticking with hill due to ball security being his biggest concern. He said that despite the fact that Hill also ranks 130 out of 130 in turnover potential. Pretty mind blowing when you think about it and a big slap in the face to fans and players alike.

Kirk said there is a clear pecking order in Iowa's QB room. Ball security was the most important attribute. "Deacon Hill is the clear #1 and it's not even close." In fact, he said there's a huge drop off between Hill and Joey Labas. And then there's the terrifying part...Labas is substantially better than Iowa's freshmen hope for the future, Tony Racioppi trained Marco Lainez. YIKES. What does being last on Iowa's depth chart say about Lainez? What does it say about Iowa's ability to compete in the upgraded Big 10 for years to come?

Statistically, Iowa's starting QB is the worst in college football. It can then be deduced that both backups are worse than the worst starting QB in college football.

Looking ahead, it sounds like Iowa will be relying on the transfer portal at QB each and every year going forward because no one QB on the roster deserves to be playing Big 10 football.

Last edited:
Through 9 weeks, there are TWELVE freshmen QBs in division 1 football right now starting for their teams and throwing for at least 142 yards. There are ELEVEN freshmen QBs in division 1 with completion percentages of over 59%. In this day and age, it doesn't matter what year a QB is in school, if they are good enough, they are able to go out there and make plays and the top 30 or so get drafted each year.

So today at Kirk's press conference, when faced with a question regarding just how bad Deacon Hill has performed (i.e. ranked 130 out of 130 in turnover potential...immediately after Kirk said he picks a QB based on his ability to protect the ball), Kirk said there is a clear pecking order in Iowa's QB room. Deacon Hill, who completes just 36% of his passes, is the clear #1. Joey Labas is a long way below Hill. And Lainez is clearly worse than Labas.

Statistically, Iowa's starting QB is the worst in college football. It must therefore be assumed that both of two backups are worse. There is zero excuse for wasting 3 Big 10 scholarships on such an untalented group. So where do we go from here? It sounds like Iowa will be relying on the transfer portal at QB each and every year going forward unless they bring in someone who can actually coach offense.
Yeah, but this conversation is a broken record. Name one quarterback who has looked decent with Brian as the position coach. There isn’t one. Petras? Nope. Padilla? Nope. Labas? 14-24 139 yards 1 TD in the bowl game. Pedestrian, but agreed he’s the best we’ve seen (sadly). Cade? Nope. Deacon? Atrocious.

Really doesn’t matter much. But, yeah, Kirk is Kirk and wouldn’t change quarterbacks without a broken bone or limb loss. Kirk is and always will be incompetent in the way of recruiting/developing quarterbacks. His system clearly isn’t “QB friendly,” either, so no matter whom you throw back there, Tom Brady or Brucee from The Longest Yard, the results will be pretty much the same.

It’s just time for the next chapter in Iowa football.

In my lifetime I can only recall two true freshman ever getting reps, Chuck Long in the Rose Bowl and Drew Tate in a drive or two vs Illinois.

A pretty big leap from HS to P5 football.

In my lifetime I can only recall two true freshman ever getting reps, Chuck Long in the Rose Bowl and Drew Tate in a drive or two vs Illinois.

See the OP. There are freshmen QBs playing well all over the country. It's not that big of a leap from HS to P5.

Johnny Manziel won the Heisman as a freshmen. USC's QB threw 21 TDs and 4 INTs as a freshmen. Even lowly Iowa State's freshmen backup QB has already thrown for 1,700 yards this year in their low octane offense as an unexpected starter. Other freshmen are having even better years this year. Colorado State's freshmen QB has already thrown for 2,500 yards.

See the OP. There are freshmen QBs playing well all over the country. It's not that big of a leap from HS to P5.

Johnny Manziel won the Heisman as a freshmen. USC's QB threw 21 TDs and 4 INTs as a freshmen. Even lowly Iowa State's freshmen backup QB has already thrown for 1,700 yards this year in their low octane offense as an unexpected starter. Other freshmen are having even better years this year. Colorado State's freshmen QB has already thrown for 2,500 yards.
Johnny was making big $$$ as a QB there in college. Set it up to funnel through his Grandpa who played the part of a rich oil man. Total fraud, but he was great!

Yeah, but this conversation is a broken record. Name one quarterback who has looked decent with Brian as the position coach. There isn’t one. Petras? Nope. Padilla? Nope. Labas? 14-24 139 yards 1 TD in the bowl game. Pedestrian, but agreed he’s the best we’ve seen (sadly). Cade? Nope. Deacon? Atrocious.

Really doesn’t matter much. But, yeah, Kirk is Kirk and wouldn’t change quarterbacks without a broken bone or limb loss. Kirk is and always will be incompetent in the way of recruiting/developing quarterbacks. His system clearly isn’t “QB friendly,” either, so no matter whom you throw back there, Tom Brady or Brucee from The Longest Yard, the results will be pretty much the same.

It’s just time for the next chapter in Iowa football.
Don’t forget Hogan and May drifted off and neither appears destined for QB stardom…😎

Through 9 weeks, there are currently TWELVE freshmen QBs in division 1 football starting for their teams and throwing for at least 142 yards per game. There are ELEVEN freshmen QBs with completion percentages above 59%. In this day and age, it doesn't matter what year a QB is in school. If he has talent, he will go out there and make plays. The decent QBs rarely stick around 4 years anymore, and top 30 or so get drafted each year.

Today at Kirk's press conference, when faced with a question regarding how bad Deacon Hill has performed (i.e. ranked 130 out of 130 in turnover potential...Kirk said there is a clear pecking order in Iowa's QB room and that ball security was the most important attribute. Despite this, Deacon Hill, who completes just 36% of his passes (also 130th out of 130), is the clear #1 and it's not even close. In fact, there's a huge drop off between Hill and Joey Labas. And here's the scary part...Labas is substantially better than Lainez. YIKES. What does that say about Lainez?

Statistically, Iowa's starting QB is the worst in college football. It can then be deduced that both backups are worse than the worst starting QB in college football.

That is a huge indictment on QB recruiting at Iowa, wasting 3 scholarships on such an untalented group. Looking ahead, it sounds like Iowa will be relying on the transfer portal at QB each and every year going forward because no one QB on the roster deserves to be playing Big 10 football.
So...12 out of 130 division one schools. That's your reasoning for Lainez to start?

Reactions: hknation and gojojo
Another aspect of the failures in qb development is the inability or unwillingness or both to adjust the playbook to fit the personnel. That has been a hallmark of the Iowa offensive system. They don't adapt to the players they have, they whittle them away until all square pegs fit into the round holes.
If the guy can run well and can learn 10 plays out of a few different formations then get him out there to do that. If you don't have even an average qb then there's room to experiment on offense with other qbs. Hill has demonstrated poor ball security on the field so that argument doesn't hold water.

Nate Stanley vs North Dakota state 🙂

Reactions: GlenHawk
Through 9 weeks, there are currently TWELVE freshmen QBs in division 1 football starting for their teams and throwing for at least 142 yards per game. There are ELEVEN freshmen QBs with completion percentages above 59%. In this day and age, it doesn't matter what year a QB is in school. If he has talent, he will go out there and make plays. The decent QBs rarely stick around 4 years anymore, and top 30 or so get drafted each year.

Today at Kirk's press conference, when faced with a question regarding how bad Deacon Hill has performed (i.e. ranked 130 out of 130 in turnover potential...Kirk said there is a clear pecking order in Iowa's QB room and that ball security was the most important attribute. Despite this, Deacon Hill, who completes just 36% of his passes (also 130th out of 130), is the clear #1 and it's not even close. In fact, there's a huge drop off between Hill and Joey Labas. And here's the scary part...Labas is substantially better than Lainez. YIKES. What does that say about Lainez?

That is a huge indictment on QB recruiting at Iowa, wasting 3 scholarships on such an untalented group. Looking ahead, it sounds like Iowa will be relying on the transfer portal at QB each and every year going forward because no one QB on the roster deserves to be playing Big 10 football.
In games that I have seen both play, Labas looked like Tom Brady compared to Hill. Explain that Kirk…

What coach in their right mind would trot Hill back out again? It's just freaking asinine. No one else even gets a chance?
It's beyond stupid.
Incomprehensible. I don’t care now if Kirk quits tomorrow. It never was like that before this Deacon Hill fiasco. I have no idea what in the hell Kirk looks for in practice when comes to qb’s.

I think that our stifling defense, which is top 3 in every defensive KPI every year - and has been for a while now - is hurting our QBs' growth. How can you get better if you get intercepted or sacked on every other live play during practice? Maybe we need to start letting our No. 1 offense practice against the 2s & 3s so that the QB can gain some confidence and grow? Might just work, crazy as it seems on the surface.

Not really. Not in todays game where high school QBs play in complex offenses and start development camps in the 5th grade.

What coach in their right mind would trot Hill back out again? It's just freaking asinine. No one else even gets a chance?
It's beyond stupid.
Matt Ruhle watched Jeff Sims, an experienced starter, throw 4 picks in two games before switching to something called a Heinrich Haarberg.

I don’t know what it would take, other than injury, to get Deak yanked.

I don't think it says anything about the kids talent at all. I would advise him to gtfo while he can.

He's probably making too many mistakes and that is how the head guy judges QBs. He is risk adverse. Every game they coach is going to be controlled and tight. He has no interest in being aggressive on offense.

I don't think it says anything about the kids talent at all. I would advise him to gtfo while he can.

He's probably making too many mistakes and that is how the head guy judges QBs. He is risk adverse. Every game they coach is going to be controlled and tight. He has no interest in being aggressive on offense.
Oh cool does mean punt on third down!?

I hope our next HC realizes a starting QB needs to be somewhat mobile.

Cause the current arrangement is a complete disaster.
Absolutely. Having a mobile QB in the current college game is a must.
Additionally, I hope that the next coach takes a completely different approach to the QB position from the perspective that choosing a starter doesn't mean that he's locked in for the duration of his eligibility. Also, it's really not against the rules to play another guy at the position for a series or two in a game to change things up if the O is stagnant or he's having an off day.

Absolutely. Having a mobile QB in the current college game is a must.
Additionally, I hope that the next coach takes a completely different approach to the QB position from the perspective that choosing a starter doesn't mean that he's locked in for the duration of his eligibility. Also, it's really not against the rules to play another guy at the position for a series or two in a game to change things up if the O is stagnant or he's having an off day.
Nope Kirk will not allow that it's against HIS rules

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT