ADVERTISEMENT

Kaleb Johnson on pace for 2,130 yds & 29 TDs. Shonn Greene, in 2008, was 6th in the Heisman Vote & Doak Walker winner (1,850 yds & 20 TDs)

On pace for 1,959 yds in the regular season.

Current stats:
937 Rushing Yards
118 attempts
7.9 yds/attempt
156.2 yds/game
12 Rushing TDs

Last edited:
..............Shonn Greene........Kaleb Johnson
..................................in 2008.............................in 2024
Games..................13**..........................13
Rush Yds.........1,850....................2,130*
Yds/Game.......142.3.....................163.8*
Attempts...........307.................,,.....268*
Yds/carry............6.0..............,,,,........7.9*
Rush TDs.............20................,,,,......27*
Receiving TDs......0..............,,,,,,........2*

*Projected for a 13 game season.

** In 2008, Iowa finished the regular season at 8-4; they then beat South Carolina in the Outback Bowl to finish 9-4.

Numbers are cool and all, but as much as I like Kaleb Johnson, he's no Shonn Greene . . . at least not yet . . . no matter what the numbers say. Greene literally ran over people like a bulldozer and still had top end speed. Johnson has a different style. I've haven't seen him bulldoze anyone, and he's been caught from behind most of the time. I hope Johnson ends up somewhere close to Greene, but I'll reserve judgment for now. I'm a whole lot more interested in what he's going to do against Minnesota and Ohio State than what he's done against Illinois State and Troy.

Now that we are half way thru the season, have your thoughts changed?

Getting caught on an angle taken by a defender is different from being caught from behind. For Kaleb - Yes on the former, no the latter. He’s a different back from Shonn. But, he has added a new dimension to his game this year. He’s had multiple carries this year where he’s moved the pile 4-5 yards down the field after initial contact.

Agreed.

It's crazy how some people don't think KJ has "power"

And think of all the times where it looked like he was stuffed and boom, there he comes out of the pile of humanity.

On pace for 1,959 yds in the regular season.

Current stats:
937 Rushing Yards
118 attempts
7.9 yds/attempt
156.2 yds/game
12 Rushing TDs

The only reason KJ hasn't already broken 1,000 rushing yards is because he didn't play the first half vs Illinois St and wasn't given the carries at Ohio State.

KJ is not only on pace for more TD's than Shonn, he's on pace for way more receptions.

Reactions: MilleGinja
"Johnson's production against Big Ten competition and his physical running style suggest he can be a contributor in an NFL backfield rotation from day one.

With continued development in the passing game, he has the upside to become a feature back for a run-heavy offense. His durability and experience in a pro-style system should ease his transition to the next level."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT