ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas City Police Officer Shot and Killed

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
A Kansas City, Kan., police captain who was shot Tuesday afternoon has died, authorities announced at a press conference.

Capt. Robert Melton was shot at 22nd and Haskell in Kansas City, Kan. and by 2:45 p.m. one person was in custody and police had detained another person.

When Melton arrived at the University of Kansas Hospital, CPR was started. “Despite our best efforts, the officer was pronounced at 2:55 p.m.,” said trauma surgeon James Howard.

This is the second police officer shot and killed in KCK in the past two months. The detective, Brad Lancaster, 39, was a nine-year veteran of the Kansas City, Kan., Police Department was shot and killed May 9.

“We need to be in prayer for our community,” KCK Mayor Mark Holland at the press conference.

Holland cautioned the community, “Don’t jump to conclusions about this.”

Kansas City, Kan., Police Chief Terry Zeigler tweeted at 2:02 p.m., “We have an officer shot at 22nd & Haskell. Start prayers, unknown condition.”

The incident began about 1:33 p.m. when police received a call about an armed disturbance at Second Street and Edgerton Drive. The caller told police that several people in a car were firing shots at them, according to a statement from KCK police.

Officers arrived within minutes. At that time, three or four people bailed from the car.

An officer took one person into custody near there.

Shortly before 2 p.m., an officer attempted to stop another person. Multiple shots were fired and an officer was hit. Police were advised that an officer was down at 1:58 p.m.

The officer was taken to a hospital in critical condition.

Police are searching the area for others who were involved. One person is in custody.

Friends of a KCK police officer began changing their Facebook profile photos to a police badge with a black stripe over it.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article90544392.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
We need more guns on the street...and in the hands of fools. 2nd Amendment baby....'merica....Love it or leave it.
Ya, so let's punish law abiding citizens. Brilliant. How about you shore up inner cities and find ways to keep guns out of their hands instead of trying to attack my rights?

Reactions: fan_4_life
Ya, so let's punish law abiding citizens. Brilliant. How about you shore up inner cities and find ways to keep guns out of their hands instead of trying to attack my rights?
Beware, you might actually want the same thing as Joel (less guns floating around).

But what if it turns out the gun used was in fact legally possessed by the shooter(s)?

Anyways, people and guns don't appear to mix well. I hope the shooting and killing stop.

Reactions: ConvenientParking
Beware, you might actually want the same thing as Joel (less guns floating around).

But what if it turns out the gun used was in fact legally possessed by the shooter(s)?

Anyways, people and guns don't appear to mix well. I hope the shooting and killing stop.
I hope the killings stop as well. It just chaps my ass that thugs can use guns illegally and people want to come after mine. I don't get it. There are so many examples of how crazy that is. Like taking computers away because of hackers.

I hope the killings stop as well. It just chaps my ass that thugs can use guns illegally and people want to come after mine. I don't get it. There are so many examples of how crazy that is. Like taking computers away because of hackers.
Who wants to come after yours?

Not this conversation again. It's out there. On this board, politicians, etc. I'm tired of arguing this part of it. Feel free to look around.
Okay maybe someone else can fill me in, then. In the meantime my understanding is that gun control is the debate, not gun confiscation.

Personally I have no interest in guns. If I ever got into shooting anything it would be bow/arrow. Or blow darts, like in the jungle and shit. Guns just seem so, I dunno, lazy.

2nd Amendment, SW.....it applies to ALL Americans. The NRA has said so, time after time after time.......We are a victim of our "freedoms" because of our narcissism and hatred.

One of my buddies was a KC cop and was shot about 10 years ago. He survived but is on disability now because of the PTSD. The video is crazy. The gangbanger he pulled over had just carjacked somebody and had murdered two people in the 3 weeks before that night.
He had a Mac 10 and basically ran at him firing 30 times.

Why not mandatory 10-20 year sentence for any crime committed with a gun? Release some non-violent criminals to make room for the real problem. Unfortunately some of these guys see prison as something that makes them cooler, so bring back hard labor.

Okay maybe someone else can fill me in, then. In the meantime my understanding is that gun control is the debate, not gun confiscation.

Personally I have no interest in guns. If I ever got into shooting anything it would be bow/arrow. Or blow darts, like in the jungle and shit. Guns just seem so, I dunno, lazy.
gun control is gun confiscation, ask the folks in australia

Why not mandatory 10-20 year sentence for any crime committed with a gun? Release some non-violent criminals to make room for the real problem. Unfortunately some of these guys see prison as something that makes them cooler, so bring back hard labor.
You'd need to build a thousand more prisons

Actually, commission of a felony while in possession of a firearm is a federal crime, punishable by something like 10 years in prison. It's also a federal crime for a convicted felon to possess a firearm.

Unfortunately, the prosecution of those two laws are something like 10%. It been some in numerous examples that prosecuting those cuts violent crimes dramatically. One, off the top of my head, was in Richmond, VA. Basically, get the federal prosecutors to charge people for those 100% of the time and see what happens.

We need more guns on the street...and in the hands of fools. 2nd Amendment baby....'merica....Love it or leave it.

I'm packing right now Joel. And none of my liberal neighbors are in my back. Their fufu dogs don't poop here either!!!

d11b1458f81962d45e662a3f0d2ccad9.jpg

I don't pack ever...but the kids stay off my lawn! And my fufu dog shits wherever it is convenient. (Of course, I bag it and take it home.)

I've seen sick people like you walking around with dog dung in plastic bags. I'll bet you put it on your flower garden don't you? :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT