ADVERTISEMENT

KCCI reports that speed cams are going to be installed on I-80 in Newton and Grinnell.

This stinks. In December the Newton city council had no interest. Now suddenly it’s unanimous.

That stretch just before Newton exits coming east from Des Moines is pretty dangerous for whatever reason and gets policed pretty heavily from my understanding.

Not sure how that works.

There's a bill currently under consideration to eliminate them altogether.

If they don't get a handle on this, there's going to be cameras everywhere.
I've been in contact with one of the speed camera providers and they don't think the bill will be passed. There are 4 towns in the county where I live that are looking into speed cameras. With what the state did to cities and counties they have to find different revenue sources.

I've been in contact with one of the speed camera providers and they don't think the bill will be passed. There are 4 towns in the county where I live that are looking into speed cameras. With what the state did to cities and counties they have to find different revenue sources.

I don’t live in Iowa. What does the bold mean?

They attached it to the hands free bill. If it doesn't pass this year then there's no hope moving forward.

I like speed cameras on Interstates and Highways. And I say that because the folks that will get caught speeding are those that aren't paying attention. All speed cameras have posted warning signs. I'd wager that a good portion of the folks driving on those roads, at high speed, that get caught, don't see warning signs because they're looking at their phones. I have no sympathy for those idiots.

Good thing South Dakota refuses to share license plate info with Iowa and SD just issued new plates for everyone this last year too. Good luck trying to figure out where to send that ticket.

I don’t live in Iowa. What does the bold mean?
They reduced the residential and commercial rollbacks along with other things that prevented the cities and counties from having the revenues that they had previously. Then the state made it so cities and counties couldn't raise taxes to make up for it. It is a mess with many cities and counties conducting major cuts and layoffs. Oh and there is another round of cuts for next year.

They reduced the residential and commercial rollbacks along with other things that prevented the cities and counties from having the revenues that they had previously. Then the state made it so cities and counties couldn't raise taxes to make up for it. It is a mess with many cities and counties conducting major cuts and layoffs. Oh and there is another round of cuts for next year.

KCCI Investigates: Small Iowa town makes millions on speed camera tickets​

Everyone should stop paying them.
Waterloo just contracted with a collection agency this week. They sent out letters to all unpaid ticket owners telling them if they don't pay they will turn it over to collections and it will affect your credit score.

In 2022, the City of Waterloo partnered with Municipal Collections of American to help with collecting specific unpaid events/fines. The Police Department has recently turned many of their unpaid/uncontested Automatic Traffic Enforcement (i.e Gatso) camera violations over to MCoA. Some of you have received these notices in the mail this week. Please read them as they contain valuable information. Further questions can be redirected to ATE@waterloopolice.com.

Not sure what this means but I pull over people from SD and I get their plate information back.
South Dakota will not share plate information with the speed camera companies. Well documented in Sioux City with the speed cameras they had there.

KCCI Investigates: Small Iowa town makes millions on speed camera tickets​

Then maybe the state shouldn't be forcing the city's hands to get creative to raise funding from what was cut. Also, get ready for your utility rates to go up and many will start implementing franchise fees for additional funding. If our town goes with speed cameras, I will be the first to admit it's mostly for revenue purposes. The good thing about speed cameras is you are in control if you get a ticket or not. Rates and franchise fees everyone gets hit.

Waterloo just contracted with a collection agency this week. They sent out letters to all unpaid ticket owners telling them if they don't pay they will turn it over to collections and it will affect your credit score.

In 2022, the City of Waterloo partnered with Municipal Collections of American to help with collecting specific unpaid events/fines. The Police Department has recently turned many of their unpaid/uncontested Automatic Traffic Enforcement (i.e Gatso) camera violations over to MCoA. Some of you have received these notices in the mail this week. Please read them as they contain valuable information. Further questions can be redirected to ATE@waterloopolice.com.

I guarantee I could get any of those off on collections.

Reactions: TSNPS
South Dakota will not share plate information with the speed camera companies. Well documented in Sioux City with the speed cameras they had there.
I'd assume the tickets will just be forwarded to the police department for them to run and issue. All tickets that are issued are run and verified by the company and then forwarded to the police department for them to review and hit accept or reject.

Then maybe the state shouldn't be forcing the city's hands to get creative to raise funding from what was cut. Also, get ready for your utility rates to go up and many will start implementing franchise fees for additional funding. If our town goes with speed cameras, I will be the first to admit it's mostly for revenue purposes. The good thing about speed cameras is you are in control if you get a ticket or not. Rates and franchise fees everyone gets hit.

Talk to your Governor, State Rep, and State Senator. This is not municipalities should be dealing with. And I guarantee Cities/City attorneys spend more than what it is worth on enforcing

I'd assume the tickets will just be forwarded to the police department for them to run and issue. All tickets that are issued are run and verified by the company and then forwarded to the police department for them to review and hit accept or reject.

Private companies should not be doing law enforcement. My biggest bitch when in Iraq was Blackwater doing military jobs

Not that the state would say no but wouldn't this have to be approved by IDOT?
I bet not…not if within their “city linits”….Prairie City has a camera on #163 and it is a gold mine for the town. I’m sure Newton (another Jasper County city) has seen the revenue PC has taken in the last couple of years… and the same with Grinnell.

Reactions: EasyHawk
Talk to your Governor, State Rep, and State Senator. This is not municipalities should be dealing with. And I guarantee Cities/City attorneys spend more than what it is worth on enforcing
Trust me everyone is, but they would rather get the votes from everyone thinking their taxes are being cut by them. Who cares how it affects the cities and counties.

Reactions: MitchLL
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT