ADVERTISEMENT

KCCI reports that speed cams are going to be installed on I-80 in Newton and Grinnell.

Do people think it's just 'good police work' if cities were short on their budgets and just decided to set the cameras to ticket at 2 mph over instead? Maybe cities can just adjust the ticket sensitivity or number of cameras based on their financial needs?

With no identity verified, I don't understand how you can fine someone.

If you have a clear picture, that is different. Still need to follow chain of custody.

I might be wrong on this but I was under the impression that it was an "owner liability" rule. If the vehicle is exceeding the speed limit (and I'm almost certain it must be 10 or mph over the posted limit), the registered owner of the vehicle will be issued the fine.

I also seem to recall that there have been challenges to the levied fine on the "I wasn't driving the vehicle basis" but that those defenses were rejected . . . something akin to Iowa law holding an owner of a vehicle civilly liable for damages caused by the driver of the vehicle (assuming that the driver had permission to use the vehicle).

Reactions: Firekirknow
It's a civil fine, much like a parking ticket.
Yep. It's why traffic camera issued speeding tickets are not reported to your insurance company while convictions of speeding in traffic court are available to insurance companies.

Do people think it's just 'good police work' if cities were short on their budgets and just decided to set the cameras to ticket at 2 mph over instead? Maybe cities can just adjust the ticket sensitivity or number of cameras based on their financial needs?
No, I would not be ok with fines 2mph over. But I am with 12 over.

Money grab. Nothing more. Do not stop and do business in any towns that do this.

I did not know Webster City had a camera on Hwy 20 until I read it in this thread. Webster City just made the list.

For the record, when driving I set the cruise at 62 in a 55 zone, 72 in a 65 zone, 80 in a 75, and 82 in an 80. South Dakota is 80 mph on the interstates and the HiPos don't have much tolerance for much over 80 mph. 82 and you'll be fine, but 84 mph might get you pulled over some days and some days not.

Long way of saying that I drive within the tolerances of these speed cameras, so it doesn't affect me, but I still think they are BS and unconstitutional. This thread reveals the resident Communists we have here on HORT. Some of you love living in a police state.

Also, Sioux City pulled their speed cameras off I-29 but they do have two operating in town, one on Myrtle St and one on Lincoln Way along with a red light camera on S Lewis Blvd (Old Hwy 75) and Singing Hills Blvd that is extremely sensitive. It even triggers when drivers make a lawful right turn on red from Singing Hills Blvd onto S Lewis. I sometimes wonder if those drivers get a ticket in the mail. There might still be one out on Outer Drive but I'm not sure as I haven't been over on that side of town in years.

Speeding cameras reduce speeds in their enforcement area. I wish kcci would report on average speeds before and after placement. I'm sure they are lower.
They just reduce speeds up to the point you go thru them.

I dont know how many times i see people slowing down to the speed limit right before the 380 cams through CR, speed back up once they are through until the next one.

Also, i believe semi’s dont get ticketed either through CR, so if a semi goes 67 through a speed camera in a 55 zone, no big deal for them

They just reduce speeds up to the point you go thru them.

I dont know how many times i see people slowing down to the speed limit right before the 380 cams through CR, speed back up once they are through until the next one.

Also, i believe semi’s dont get ticketed either through CR, so if a semi goes 67 through a speed camera in a 55 zone, no big deal for them
This actually creates a much more dangerous situation than if you just let the normal flow of traffic go through at a speed above the limit. Drivers checking up and changing speeds is unsafe.

This actually creates a much more dangerous situation than if you just let the normal flow of traffic go through at a speed above the limit. Drivers checking up and changing speeds is unsafe.
Whats annoying is people will reduce their speed to the speed limit when it wont trip a ticket until 12 over. They will go from 70 to 55 (Not 60, not 63) and speed back up.

Reactions: Firekirknow
I have no issue with speed cameras or stop light cameras as I think they make us all safer and lower costs overall. I would have no issue with 1 mph over the limit being a fine if that is universally followed and the camera tolerance is that precise. Whether it is 2 mph or 12 mph makes no difference, the limit is the limit.

But we know it won't be universally followed. We know people will whine and complain when they get caught no matter how fast they were going.

I've gotten several tickets for speeding from cameras and while it's frustrating I also realize it is my own doing.

I have no issue with speed cameras or stop light cameras as I think they make us all safer and lower costs overall.
with cameras throughout CR, i sure would like to see these lower costs reflected in our insurance rates instead of having them skyrocket every 6 months.

If the cameras are making things safer, seems like a no brainer

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
with cameras throughout CR, i sure would like to see these lower costs reflected in our insurance rates instead of having them skyrocket every 6 months.

The increase in rates is not due to speed cameras.

The number of vehicle crashes, crashes with injuries and crashes resulting in death are all down substantially in the last 30 years. That's despite an increase in population, licensed drivers and registered vehicles. Obviously that can't be directly attributed to speed cameras but it does demonstrate that technology advancements are making us all safer.

Last edited:
The increase in rates is not due to speed cameras.
My insurance company said “the cost of doing business in your area is increasing”. I replied that their cost of doing business with me has not.

If speed cameras are making things safer, that means im even less likely to be in an accident. rates should decrease accordingly because of this.

Reactions: Pinehawk
It simply is a revenue source for all that have them. If they cared about public safety, there are plenty of other measures that are constitutional that do more help.
If they cared about safety, it wouldn’t be illegal to flash your lights to warn people about a speed trap. It’s about generating revenue.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
My insurance company said “the cost of doing business in your area is increasing”. I replied that their cost of doing business with me has not.

If speed cameras are making things safer, that means im even less likely to be in an accident. rates should decrease accordingly because of this.
Cars are substantially more expensive to repair now. And accidents are not the only thing insurance provides protection.

Cars are substantially more expensive to repair now. And accidents are not the only thing insurance provides protection.
Raise rates when i have a claim. Its not more expensive to repair something when nothings being repaired.

Hopefully consumer technology catches up with a way to scramble the plate picture, or other means. People are just going to find a way around them eventually. Wouldn’t be the worst thing if kids lit the cameras up with paint balls.

Raise rates when i have a claim. Its not more expensive to repair something when nothings being repaired.
That's not how insurance works. It costs more overall so the people who pay in to be protected pay more.

If you don't value the insurance just get liability and your costs will go way down.

Hopefully consumer technology catches up with a way to scramble the plate picture, or other means. People are just going to find a way around them eventually. Wouldn’t be the worst thing if kids lit the cameras up with paint balls.
That technology has been around for some time and it is illegal. The original technology was putting tape over the numbers.

My car insurance has gone down considerably in the last 10 years as I get older and have no tickets. Not sure why yours is going up.

My car insurance has gone down considerably in the last 10 years as I get older and have no tickets. Not sure why yours is going up.
I would say my last ticket was in 2005.

mine has gone up every 6 months for the last 3-4 years. I switch insurance carriers and get a better price, and then it explodes after a year so I switch and get a better rate.

Waterloo just contracted with a collection agency this week. They sent out letters to all unpaid ticket owners telling them if they don't pay they will turn it over to collections and it will affect your credit score.

In 2022, the City of Waterloo partnered with Municipal Collections of American to help with collecting specific unpaid events/fines. The Police Department has recently turned many of their unpaid/uncontested Automatic Traffic Enforcement (i.e Gatso) camera violations over to MCoA. Some of you have received these notices in the mail this week. Please read them as they contain valuable information. Further questions can be redirected to ATE@waterloopolice.com.
I doubt that's true. But I can't say that with certainty either. To affect your credit collections have to be on an account you submit your SSN and actually applied for credit. Most of those third party debt collectors just harass you trying to get you to pay something and get a cut of what they recover.

I think that would be tight but I don’t make the rules.

I also think speed limits should be lower so I’m not the one to ask.

• Wow
Reactions: Pinehawk
They should have to eliminate one police position with every camera installed. Since their job just got automated, we should see a resulting smaller police force.
They don't keep all the checkers at the grocery store when they add self checkout.

That’s a great idea.

Many other jobs are falling prey to automation, routine traffic stops are one that probably should. Would save a ton of money.

I doubt that's true. But I can't say that with certainty either. To affect your credit collections have to be on an account you submit your SSN and actually applied for credit. Most of those third party debt collectors just harass you trying to get you to pay something and get a cut of what they recover.

How can your credit be affected if you've never agreed/contracted to services?

It's amazing how many people whine about this. Quit effing speeding and running red lights you losers.

200.gif

I would say my last ticket was in 2005.

mine has gone up every 6 months for the last 3-4 years. I switch insurance carriers and get a better price, and then it explodes after a year so I switch and get a better rate.
Not sure who you use but we have Allstate and continue to get discounts the longer we're with them. Just the wife and I. Just a heads up.

Not sure who you use but we have Allstate and continue to get discounts the longer we're with them. Just the wife and I. Just a heads up.
i had American Family for about 20 yrs, and when i obtained a different vehicle, their premiums were significantly higher when the bill came than what i was quoted.

Switched to Farmers. Was paying under what Amfam quoted me, and then it went way up after 12 months.
currently have progressive. The premiums increased after six months. I will look into Allstate if progressive increases considerably in a couple months.

Thanks for the heads up

Reactions: beanerhawk

I don’t think this is 100% accurate. Pretty sure that if an account is turned over to a colllection agency and the amount at issue exceeds a threshold amount (maybe $100?), the collection agency can report it as an unpaid debt turned over to collections.

It can't.

Your credit report will reflect debts that have been turned over to a collection agency. An “account sent to collection” appearing on your credit report will lower your credit score. The lower your credit score, the less likely you’ll get a favorable interest rate when applying for credit.

So … it can.

Your credit report will reflect debts that have been turned over to a collection agency. An “account sent to collection” appearing on your credit report will lower your credit score. The lower your credit score, the less likely you’ll get a favorable interest rate when applying for credit.

So … it can.

But it isn't a debt that you've signed onto?

Is this codified in Iowa law? If so, where?

Reactions: beanerhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT