ADVERTISEMENT

KCCI reports that speed cams are going to be installed on I-80 in Newton and Grinnell.

Law enforcement is extremely expensive and signage does nothing.

I’m 100% fine with this. Quite frankly I think there should be a lot more of them.
Would you also like cameras at every red light and stop sign? Maybe all cars to have an interlock device before people can drive? Is there any limit to your ideal surveillance state?

Would you also like cameras at every red light and stop sign? Maybe all cars to have an interlock device before people can drive? Is there any limit to your ideal surveillance state?
cedar rapids speed/stop light cameras were for money and not safety when they didn’t put any in school zones. There was a kid a number of years back just down the road from Erskine Elementary in Cedar Rapids that got hit by a driver walking from school

Cameras are going up in Milwaukee area around every Intersection. Supposedly for crash scene investigation purposes. We do have issues with reckless driving here. My guess is eventually traffic citations will get added to camera.

Cameras are going up in Milwaukee area around every Intersection. Supposedly for crash scene investigation purposes. We do have issues with reckless driving here. My guess is eventually traffic citations will get added to camera.
It's going to feel a lot more like China or Russia here in another 20 years. Maybe they can add microphones to the cameras, so if they catch you criticizing the government, it's easier to lock you up.

It's going to feel a lot more like China or Russia here in another 20 years. Maybe they can add microphones to the cameras, so if they catch you criticizing the government, it's easier to lock you up.
Between Ring devices, security cameras, cell phones, now intersection cameras. Will almost always be on camera in the Milwaukee area.

Between Ring devices, security cameras, cell phones, now intersection cameras. That will almost always be on camera in the Milwaukee area.
Quite a difference between private property, or companies offering services you can opt in or out of, and the government generally surveilling all public areas for 'crimes' they might not otherwise see. So they can be enforced by technology instead of people.

Reactions: auntie_fah
Quite a difference between private property, or companies offering services you can opt in or out of, and the government generally surveilling all public areas for 'crimes' they might not otherwise see. So they can be enforced by technology instead of people.
Understand, but I’m just assuming from now forward. I’m tracked no matter what. Between that and our cell phone data. There is zero privacy anymore once u step outside.

Hell yeah. As many red lights as I see people blow through on my way to work. I'd love this.

• Sad
Reactions: Pinehawk
Therein lies the rub. In our justice system the burden of proof is on the government, not the accused. Now if the government wants to put in the effort to make the case, beyond a reasonable doubt, that they know the identity of the driver, then I'm good with it. Otherwise, if they didn't identify the driver of the vehicle and the owner pleads not guilty, then I don't think that the government has a provable case.
It's a civil fine, much like a parking ticket.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
Hell yeah. As many red lights as I see people blow through on my way to work. I'd love this.
My issue is reckless passing in Milwaukee. They’ll use the bus only lane or what is essentially a parking lane if it’s not being used. So I see the need.

I know a lot of folks who have received tickets since last fall from the cameras installed on Hwy. 20 at Webster City. Making so much money it was only a matter of time before every city on a highway or interstate tries to get their piece. If you're a small town like Shelby on I-80 or Owasa on Hwy. 20, get that cash while you can.

You have a right to privacy in your home. that's it

Understand, but I’m just assuming from now forward. I’m tracked no matter what. Between that and our cell phone data. There is zero privacy anymore once u step outside.

I do not expect privacy when i step outside, however i do not want to have cameras installed as a revenue generating scheme…:especially when the payments for those fines are sent out of state.

Also your “im tracked no matter what” comment reminded me of my dad saying he wasnt going to get the covid vacc because he didnt want to be microchipped. I told him he should stop carrying around his mobile device with him all the time, or get rid of his vehicle with the built it GPS

I know a lot of folks who have received tickets since last fall from the cameras installed on Hwy. 20 at Webster City. Making so much money it was only a matter of time before every city on a highway or interstate tries to get their piece. If you're a small town like Shelby on I-80 or Owasa on Hwy. 20, get that cash while you can.
Eventually, people slow down I assume and the ticket revenue dries up. The fact that they make so much money shows just how many people were speeding.

It has probably changed now (although Prairie City makes more from speed can’t than from property taxes) but theirs started out with almost no leeway.
According to a former co-worker who is a PT PC policeman, he told me the “trip” has always been 11 mph on #163 there…. Now the camera they have “in town”, I don’t know what that is “tripped” at…but a year ago or so KCCI did a rather lengthy story on the speed cams in Prairie City.

Reactions: EasyHawk
Eventually, people slow down I assume and the ticket revenue dries up. The fact that they make so much money shows just how many people were speeding.
These cameras aren't catching locals after awhile. They learn where they can speed and where they can't.
The cameras are catching people from out of town. It's not changing their behavior, other than they'll always remember and hate the town that sent them the ticket in the mail weeks later.

Reactions: auntie_fah
These cameras aren't catching locals after awhile. They learn where they can speed and where they can't.
The cameras are catching people from out of town. It's not changing their behavior, other than they'll always remember and hate the town that sent them the ticket in the mail weeks later.
And the next time they go through, they'll slow down.

And the next time they go through, they'll slow down.
They won't ever want to come back through if they can help it.
Besides, as cities become dependent on this revenue. If people did actually slow down, it would cost those cities money, which they've already budgeted and would then have to make up.
With more cameras, or reducing the allowable speed overage.

Reactions: hawkcub
I guess at the end of the day, I'd rather have troopers and deputies doing the actual work
One one hand I mostly agree. On the other, I wish Omaha would install some sort of way to get people to chill the f*ck out on the interstates. If they can't get troopers to do it, then what?

Bugs Bunny Money GIF by Looney Tunes

One one hand I mostly agree. On the other, I wish Omaha would install some sort of way to get people to chill the f*ck out on the interstates. If they can't get troopers to do it, then what?
If it were actually important to the department, they would police it. But, apparently it must not be a priority.

I guess at the end of the day, I'd rather have troopers and deputies doing the actual work
Why, there's more important work for those folks to be doing then stopping assholes that don't think the traffic laws apply to them.

If it were actually important to the department, they would police it. But, apparently it must not be a priority.
They stopped doing it in 2020 and keep saying they're going to start, but I rarely see someone pulled over on the interestates.

I think they are like critically understaffed as well. So they just don't have the manpower to make it a priority.

They should have to eliminate one police position with every camera installed. Since their job just got automated, we should see a resulting smaller police force.
They don't keep all the checkers at the grocery store when they add self checkout.

Check out this video. It's a great watch on Prairie City. The 1:35 to 1:42 mark addresses your statement. He contends it doesn't make it safer because the tickets keep coming.

According to a former co-worker who is a PT PC policeman, he told me the “trip” has always been 11 mph on #163 there…. Now the camera they have “in town”, I don’t know what that is “tripped” at…but a year ago or so KCCI did a rather lengthy story on the speed cams in Prairie City.

They recently moved it from 10 to 11.

No biggie. I’ve got my own camera set up outside my house catching speeders. It’s a great way to make a little extra money.
It’s amazing how many people actually pay my made up bill.

I'm committed to not doing business in any of these communities.

That’ll teach’em!

Who knows. But historically business owners have been concerned over these being installed in their cities/towns.

Brad Magg, owner of the popular Goldie's Ice Cream Shoppe, said he sees both sides of the issue and wants to make sure the cameras don't chase away business.

“So, both (me) and my bank have a big concern that the customers keep coming,” Magg said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT