ADVERTISEMENT

Keith Duncan's parents have taken on $115k debt

ichawk24

HR Legend
Nov 21, 2005
For him to play football at Iowa.

Out-of-state total cost of attendance is estimated at $47k per year
https://admissions.uiowa.edu/finances/estimated-costs-attendance

Thank goodness he cannot profit from his likeness.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-path-becoming-lou-groza-finalist/2619051001/

The tab for Duncan to play football at Iowa has topped $170,000. Gifts from grandparents have helped pay it down. Keith has taken on $13,000 in debt himself. But Stuart and Jennifer Duncan still have $115,000 outstanding in loans for their son to pursue his dream.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-path-becoming-lou-groza-finalist/2619051001/

The tab for Duncan to play football at Iowa has topped $170,000. Gifts from grandparents have helped pay it down. Keith has taken on $13,000 in debt himself. But Stuart and Jennifer Duncan still have $115,000 outstanding in loans for their son to pursue his dream.

You’ve sure presented the value of a full ride scholarship. Thank goodness for them!

Whats your point

Reactions: Nipigu

Oh, so you're saying a scholarship is GREAT compensation. Got it.

Pretty sure he will have a NFL career, which the lowest paid kicker in the league makes $495K

Need Carson King to create a Venmo for Keith’s family or a go fund me account once he has completed his status as an amateur athlete for Iowa.

We as a Hawkeye family need to help find a way from them to get out of this. Their son is the reason we are 9-3 and in reach of 10th win. We need to find a way to thank them and Keith for their loyalty to the TEAM.

So what you're saying is we should pay him back for making a choice about where he would go to college, knowing full well he would be paying for it?
Seems legit. Sorry but I don't share that sentiment. Life is full of choices and for the majority its a pay as you go society.
Pretty sure you wouldn't feel the same way if he misses those kicks. Just sayin....

So what you're saying is we should pay him back for making a choice about where he would go to college, knowing full well he would be paying for it?
Seems legit. Sorry but I don't share that sentiment. Life is full of choices and for the majority its a pay as you go society.
Pretty sure you wouldn't feel the same way if he misses those kicks. Just sayin....

Easy to pass off and say sorry buddy you made your own bed lie in it but more to it than that. For the record I don't support helping Duncan ahead of any other student athlete in the same situation. As a tail end baby boomer my generation has put this generation of college students in a real bind when it comes to student debt. Nobody in power in a position to change things seems to give a damn about it. And it has major consequences for the economy and for our society. That seems the bigger issue here than one individual who has helped us win football games kicking field goals.

Sure. And let's spit on every other Iowa athlete who had to pay their own way.

And every other American that has $100k in college debt. I appreciate Keith as much as the next guy but my wife and I have good jobs and are struggling to get our student debts paid off. I am thankful he will have the rest of his schooling paid for by scholarship, thats awesome for him but he had to earn it and he took care of business this year. Had he made these strides after the 2016 season when our kickers were struggling he wouldn't be in that position. The kid should be proud and it is a great story that his parents are doing that for him, but to be so invested in the team that you are asking others who have their own student loan debt to pay off his, is straight up nuts and most likely against NCAA rules.

Just enjoy the story. Let’s not make this a thread arguing about paying athletes, or ‘that’s life’. Just enjoy the nicely written piece sharing the ups and downs of what a family and kid goes thru to work their way up thru trials and tribulations.

Lots of lessons here, great story.

As a tail end baby boomer my generation has put this generation of college students in a real bind when it comes to student debt.
How so? The colleges/universities are the ones jacking up the price of tuition annually for the past 30 years.

If you mean the National Debt, possibly ...although I think we know it's the politicians (that we elected) who've accomplished that with massive, unchecked spending, and giving up on balancing the federal budget many years ago.

Just enjoy the story. Let’s not make this a thread arguing about paying athletes, or ‘that’s life’. Just enjoy the nicely written piece sharing the ups and downs of what a family and kid goes thru to work their way up thru trials and tribulations.
It was the OP who decided to focus on the cost and debt portion of the story, of course others are going to comment on that.

How so? The colleges/universities are the ones jacking up the price of tuition annually for the past 30 years.

If you mean the National Debt, possibly ...although I think we know it's the politicians (that we elected) who've accomplished that with massive, unchecked spending, and giving up on balancing the federal budget many years ago.

It was the OP who decided to focus on the cost and debt portion of the story, of course others are going to comment on that.

LaQuinta, I would only reply that my generation has run the colleges and universities for the last twenty years or so. And in that same period universities have soaked up federal funding in the process. Don't mean to make this a political discussion at all. I just don't think my generation has served the ones behind me very well and stand by that.

Could be argued that Duncan flipped the game in at least two Iowa victories this year. If that's the case, Ferentz got a 500k bonus for his heroics and he got a 170k bill. Breathtaking.

You're acting like this was some unknown quantity. The kid and his parents knew he was walking on. They also knew what tuition costs. I'm sure he could have went to a in state school and possibly had a scholarship. Your comparison is ridiculous.

Not to be harsh, however, he made a decision to attend an out of state school to play football. Therefore, he and his family decided to forgo schools that might have offered him a scholarship and to pay his way at the University of Iowa.

Also, should of been put on scholarship after the kick in ‘16 vs Michigan. Feel good story!

We as a Hawkeye family need to help find a way from them to get out of this. Their son is the reason we are 9-3 and in reach of 10th win. We need to find a way to thank them and Keith for their loyalty to the TEAM.
cut them a check when he graduates. his parents would prob like that. I have my own bills to cover.

1/2 of all donations to university athletics and 1/2 of all media revenue should be split up between all university students.

Well vote vote for Warren.

And we took on $100,000 of debt to put our daughter thru college. She had a “partial” for tennis. She turned out great and appreciates our gift. So, I guess I can’t kick (if you know what I mean).

There's nothing we need to do. KF has the ability to give out scholarships and we rely on him to take care of the players who deserve it.

I did my part and voted for him in the Groza award. He wins that he'll get a nice, fat NFL contract.

LaQuinta, I would only reply that my generation has run the colleges and universities for the last twenty years or so. And in that same period universities have soaked up federal funding in the process. Don't mean to make this a political discussion at all. I just don't think my generation has served the ones behind me very well and stand by that.

If I may, the tuition has skyrocketed because it's basically subsidized by the federal government via student aid. The schools basically are guaranteed to get the tuition because the feds will pump loan money in to the system so the schools raise tuition knowing they're going to get it. The circle keeps going and the numbers get bigger.

If I may, the tuition has skyrocketed because it's basically subsidized by the federal government via student aid. The schools basically are guaranteed to get the tuition because the feds will pump loan money in to the system so the schools raise tuition knowing they're going to get it. The circle keeps going and the numbers get bigger.

Now wait just a minute: Are you saying government money tends to raise the price of things?

And we're headed for "free" Health Care?

I appreciate everything he has done. And awesome he is now on scholarship. But let’s be clear, this was a voluntary choice by the family. There was never any guarantee for a scholly or other financial assistance. I guess maybe it’s me but when you knowingly walk into a financial situation, absent deceit or fraud, that is the hand you play. Like I said, extremely excited he is now on scholly but not like this “debt” came out of nowhere. So he now gets a college degree without paying full freight and a chance to play on Sundays. I think he will be OK.

Reactions: K OKeefe
Wait, out of state tuition at Iowa is ~47,000 a year?!

My out of state tuition for graduate school in California was less than $15,000 a year (it is a state school, and thus much cheaper than private and UC schools, but still seems crazy for Iowa to be so high).

Edit because I was a lazy idiot and didn't read the article. I am now informed that it is factoring in other costs aside from just tuition.

Could be argued that Duncan flipped the game in at least two Iowa victories this year. If that's the case, Ferentz got a 500k bonus for his heroics and he got a 170k bill. Breathtaking.
Good Lord, there just had to be someone on here who would make KF the villian in this story. Go figure....:confused::rolleyes:

Reactions: FreddyUI

My out of state tuition for graduate school in California was less than $15,000 a year (it is a state school, and thus much cheaper than private and UC schools, but still seems crazy for Iowa to be so high).
Not tuition, but "cost of attendance" I believe, with housing and stuff figured in.

Reactions: pink shizzle

I'm sure that includes what they consider the total including travel from the east coast and back for he and his family. There is no way that is a tuition only total, Most private schools are no where near that much, and I'm sure Iowa isn't close to that figure.

Reactions: pink shizzle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT