ADVERTISEMENT

kemerer leaving Iowa for spartan combat

Well Mr. Spooner, obviously not EVERY former Hawkeye is going to compete for HWC, but somehow the evil empire has David Taylor, Nevills, Berge, Mark Hall, Nick Lee, Nolf, Joseph and Retherford. Oh and former HWC member Thomas Gilman. Somehow, NLWC has found a way to get just about EVERY former Nittany Lion to compete for the NLWC. We’ve got Pat Lugo. Something is rotten in Denmark, if we can’t convince Grandpa Mike to stick around.
you mentioned 8 names and only 4 of them actually compete for NLWC....

First of all, this post contains several factual errors. Additionally, the NLWC has way more money than every other college-based wrestling club. Have you not been on this board for the past 10 years?

In Tom's own words:

“As a matter of fact, we have an unlimited budget."

The big deal isn’t Kem choosing what’s best for him. Good for him. I hope he makes multiple world teams if he chooses to pursue that. The big deal is the fact that we have virtually no RTC at the moment. It’s great that you say we have the funding and all but it would be kinda neat if at some point that funding could provide for wrestlers to actually wrestle and compete for world teams. Crazy talk, I know.
I get what you are saying. The post grads are in the room working out, rehabbing and some are just healing up. HWC will soon be better represented at freestyle events. It's coming, just not quite ready in time for WTT.

A little out of date (2015), but this table from FLO clearly shows NLWC was lightyears ahead of everyone else in assets. HWC has undoubtedly picked up the pace in recent years, but I suspect they're still far behind the NLWC.

lfLvu26.png

I think it is not great that we (at least me and seemingly most of us) don't really have an idea of the strategic plan / vision is for the HWC. I live outside of Iowa and don't attend the fundraising events. Maybe those of you that do have a feel for what the HWC strives to become. Any by when. And with who as athletes.

Reactions: Trapper85 and eb05
I get what you are saying. The post grads are in the room working out, rehabbing and some are just healing up. HWC will soon be better represented at freestyle events. It's coming, just not quite ready in time for WTT.
This is true and still disappointing as a fan. Basically 3 straight WTT with almost zero HWC representation, let alone anybody in contention for a spot. Unfortunate luck and timing, but frustrating.

Reactions: pumpdog20
We get it…you were the one that got out of Iowa and now have a flyover attitude of your home state. I used to be like that; have lived in big cities and remote locations. Never saw myself living back here until I did. This is a great area and am glad I came back. Also love Az as well.
Ha! You may or may not get it.

I grew up in the state. And I was one of many to leave for more opportunities to get out in nature and to experience cultural events and people from around the world.

And you came back to retire after leading an active life mostly outside of the great state of Iowa.

Unfortunately vets like KemDog are looking to retire elsewhere. Lol

Don't blame Kem at all. It is a good move for him and makes total sense. However, if you don't see that the HWC is currently at a low point talent wise you are wearing black and gold glasses. Love Lugo, but he is not a serious threat to make a world or olympic team and after him we have nobody. If they want to continue to people's $ we need some firepower. Hopefully Spencer fully recovers and his success brings that needed talent in. JMO.

Reactions: Neo_Hawk
Regardless of Kemerer, it is an UNDENIABLE fact that the HWC has pretty much been non-existent since the girls left. No matter how you slice it, that SHOULD be frustrating for every Hawk fan. Expressing that fact, shouldn't have Spooner raining hellfire on you for doing so.

I know there are a lot of moving parts, but at some point, there should be results. At the very least, I would hope that those that have donated over the past few years have received some clarity on the plan moving forward and are just staying hushed for now. Because if they are seeing the same things we are, without seeing any return on their money...

Ha! You may or may not get it.

I grew up in the state. And I was one of many to leave for more opportunities to get out in nature and to experience cultural events and people from around the world.

And you came back to retire after leading an active life mostly outside of the great state of Iowa.

Unfortunately vets like KemDog are looking to retire elsewhere. Lol

Kemerer is returning close to home after being here for 7 years. Given the context of what we know about him, it's not very shocking. I could see him as a coach but could also see him high up in business somewhere. One can leave a place for another opportunity without it being an indictment on where they are. I selfishly admit that I'll miss his wrestling and also wonder what is going on with the HWC in terms of the # of senior lvl guys; but I can also see where this is a good move for him.

Kemerer is returning close to home after being here for 7 years. Given the context of what we know about him, it's not very shocking. I could see him as a coach but could also see him high up in business somewhere. One can leave a place for another opportunity without it being an indictment on where they are. I selfishly admit that I'll miss his wrestling and also wonder what is going on with the HWC in terms of the # of senior lvl guys; but I can also see where this is a good move for him.
I agree with all of that.

Kem did his time and there’s really nothing keeping him here.

My comments really had more to do with recruiting top pfp kids from around the country into the program.

It might be difficult for someone born, raised and remaining in the state as an adult to understand how the state is perceived by others. And that might make recruiting “foreign,” talent a challenge that must be addressed.

There are only so many top pfp kids out there. And apparently we’re even having trouble getting talent to sign when they have interest in the program and parents wanting them in IC.

So long for now to one of the greatest reps of the Hawkeye singlet in history. Young man was an extremely important part of Iowa wrestling history and success…. On and off the mat in so many ways. Here’s to him coming back “home” someday to coach and mentor future Hawkeye wrestlers…. Wish him nothing but the best life has to offer!

lee,eierman,warner,andbig tony have all had freestyle success add in desanto and the bull not a terrible lineup.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
I am as big a KemDawg fan as anyone. I have said his overall wrestling skills are as good or better then everyone else on the team. He is just so solid in every position. Because of this, that is the main reason I would want him around. To work with the younger guys. that is how I see him being a huge asset to the team now that he is out of eligibility.

As good as he was, i honestly never saw him as being a big FS Wrestler. Do not get me wrong!!! NOT saying he could not be a great one. Just not seeing where/what weight he would be taken out the top guys? That and his past injuries, and what seems to be an eye on his future outside of wrestling. I see him more as a coach/trainer then a HWC member.

As far as the HWC itself. We need to produce champions! As mentioned right above, several studs seem ready to take up the new fight, but besides Lee, all will have to make big strides. Maybe some of the new studs step up and become our next great champions? Until then, who do you expect to bring in??? Not too many to pick from and not too many move.

Also, it does certainly look like our girls program is getting ready to destroy everyone! I honestly do not even know if there is another team that can even challenge them right now and they haven't even had a practice yet!!! that should be a big boost once they get rolling. I would be putting together a WHWC right now and raising $$$$

When you equate Moody with Kemerer on this subject it’s a sign you should sit it out but instead you doubled down. You do you.

or. You could not ignore everything else I said as well. But sure, double down on the NLWC has more money than anyone else and that’s why the HWC is where it’s at.

we’re not even in the top 5 clubs right now

I agree with all of that.

Kem did his time and there’s really nothing keeping him here.

My comments really had more to do with recruiting top pfp kids from around the country into the program.

It might be difficult for someone born, raised and remaining in the state as an adult to understand how the state is perceived by others. And that might make recruiting “foreign,” talent a challenge that must be addressed.

There are only so many top pfp kids out there. And apparently we’re even having trouble getting talent to sign when they have interest in the program and parents wanting them in IC.
And people like you contribute to the negative perception of the state

and ignore everyone else's perception of the west coast
Everyone else? That’s some red- assed countrified shite right there.

The pertinent question is how the majority of people in our country view Iowa and the challenge that creates in getting top shelf recruits from around the country to commit to the program, imo. And that’s an uphill climb even if the high point in the state is a hog lot outside of Ashton.

Last edited:
yea one of our native sons talking shit about it will help alot. recruits reading this don't realize that you quit being a serious poster along time ago, i'll tell ya the kmf imitation you have going on it is really lame.

Reactions: Gobblin
First of all, this post contains several factual errors. Additionally, the NLWC has way more money than every other college-based wrestling club. Have you not been on this board for the past 10 years?
think it’s been said a number of times on this thread that the funding is there so the money NLWC has is not relevant here. must mean there are other issues as to why HWC has no one participating at a high level. reasons why wrestlers prefer other clubs?????

Reactions: vhsalum
Kem just had major shoulder surgery, they have great facilities for rehab there. He also will be within eyeshot of the financial capital of the world and Cornell produces a large portion of these people.
Kyle Dake has had this same surgery by the way. Maybe Kem has been talking to guys like Palacio who happens to be very big into finance and a graduate of Cornell.
Spartan most likely offered a very nice package along with endless opportunities to advance and network in his career after wrestling.

He was never going to stay in Iowa City after graduation. Not everyone wants to be in the same college town for 10 years. He came to Iowa for COLLEGE. This has nothing to do with the HWC some guys just move on.
Ok, but werent we saving room for guys like him after graduating? There have been nothing but excuses for why HWC has so few competitors, and anytime someone raises concerns about it, we are told we are building for the future.... so how far in the future are we talking?

Ok, but werent we saving room for guys like him after graduating? There have been nothing but excuses for why HWC has so few competitors, and anytime someone raises concerns about it, we are told we are building for the future.... so how far in the future are we talking?
RTCs have a handful of athletes not 10. They've a few guys that will more than likely stick around that you've probably heard of Spencer Lee, Austin Desanto , Alex Marinelli , Jacob Warner and Tony Cassioppi. Not everyone can or will stay. I understand fans wanting them all but that's just not reality

Kem just had major shoulder surgery, they have great facilities for rehab there. He also will be within eyeshot of the financial capital of the world and Cornell produces a large portion of these people.
Kyle Dake has had this same surgery by the way. Maybe Kem has been talking to guys like Palacio who happens to be very big into finance and a graduate of Cornell.
Spartan most likely offered a very nice package along with endless opportunities to advance and network in his career after wrestling.
Kemerer is way too intelligent to go to Dylan Palacio for advice on finance - personal, corporate or otherwise. Unless he plans on running a multi-level marketing scam in a few years

RTCs have a handful of athletes not 10. They've a few guys that will more than likely stick around that you've probably heard of Spencer Lee, Austin Desanto , Alex Marinelli , Jacob Warner and Tony Cassioppi. Not everyone can or will stay. I understand fans wanting them all but that's just not reality
How many of them competed? Because if I look to the Northeast I can see NLWC putting several guys, including current athletes on the mat. We havent done that in maybe a decade.

Kemerer is way too intelligent to go to Dylan Palacio for advice on finance - personal, corporate or otherwise. Unless he plans on running a multi-level marketing scam in a few years
cackled when i saw that. looking forward to kem's new venture as a youtuber pretending to be homeless challenging strangers to wrestling matches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT