ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky center: multi-million deal to return next season

What gets me is there were actually people stupid enough to think this was going to help Iowa somehow.

Like Iowa was going to get into bidding wars or something.

Places like Iowa don't have the connections or the mentality to take advantage of this.

Im glad jbo is finally making his couple grand on autographs on his way out though.
Iowa State was able to throw together a deal to get Will McDonald to stay another year. Iowa has more money as a college and richer donors. Iowa could play the game of they wanted. Might as well see what they can do to keep Keegan around 1 more season.

Wait, why should he not be able to profit off himself while he's in college? You don't seriously believe in the 1950s version of amateur sports, right? Lol.
This is such a stupid thing to think. Its not clever or progressive at all. Its clueless.

Paying recruits destroys whats left of competitive balance because certain programs have connections with unlimited budgets and the rest don't.

Why do you think pro sports have a salary cap? Competitive balance. You can't have relevant interesting sports without it.

Its extraordinarily simple.

If you're going to pay players you have to have some sort of salary cap so all the talent doesn't stockpile on a few teams.

This is such a stupid thing to think. Its not clever or progressive at all. Its clueless.

Paying recruits destroys whats left of competitive balance because certain programs have connections with unlimited budgets and the rest don't.

Why do you think pro sports have a salary cap? Competitive balance. You can't have relevant interesting sports without it.

Its extraordinarily simple.

If you're going to pay players you have to have some sort of salary cap so all the talent doesn't stockpile on a few teams.
The programs that are getting these kids before will be the ones still getting them. It's just a blue blood bidding war tbh.

Nope, they'll start stealing the breakout players from other teams too.

Thats just a terrible argument in favor of allowing it anyway.
I guess I’m not understanding. Is Kentucky a wealthier state than Iowa? Kansas? Iowa has as many rich alums, etc as does Lexington Kentucky or Lawrence Kansas. What am I missing? I understand if people choose not to pay NIL money but is the option not the same for us as everyone else?

Iowa State was able to throw together a deal to get Will McDonald to stay another year. Iowa has more money as a college and richer donors. Iowa could play the game of they wanted. Might as well see what they can do to keep Keegan around 1 more season.
Iowa should lower the salaries of professors and buy some players.

I guess I’m not understanding. Is Kentucky a wealthier state than Iowa? Kansas? Iowa has as many rich alums, etc as does Lexington Kentucky or Lawrence Kansas. What am I missing? I understand if people choose not to pay NIL money but is the option not the same for us as everyone else?
Its not alums. Kentucky is a national brand aligned with all kinds of outside advertising interests.

But even comparing fan bases UKs will spend significantly more than will Iowas.

No business in iowa is going to spend much money for an Iowa basketball player as a spokesman. Iowa basketball can't fill an arena.

Kentucky basketball is completely different level of exposure.

Its not alums. Kentucky is a national brand aligned with all kinds of outside advertising interests.

But even comparing fan bases UKs will spend significantly more than will Iowas.

No business in iowa is going to spend much money for an Iowa basketball player as a spokesman. Iowa basketball can't fill an arena.

Kentucky basketball is completely different level of exposure.
You and I agree on a lot of things regarding Iowa basketball. This is clearly not 1. My point is do we not have the same opportunity as Kentucky or Kansas? And we haven’t filled an arena like Kansas or Kentucky ever. So what has changed?

Reactions: bojihawk44
Uh, yeah. Pretty much everyone who has a problem with this is an old white dude. You know, the same type of people who post "I could sure go for some cheap gas and mean tweets right about now."

In other words, idiots.
Considering the demographics of this board I am shocked it would skew that way.

You and I agree on a lot of things regarding Iowa basketball. This is clearly not 1. My point is do we not have the same opportunity as Kentucky or Kansas? And we haven’t filled an arena like Kansas or Kentucky ever. So what has changed?
No, the majority of college basketball teams dont have the resources or connections to compete with a Kentucky in any serious way.

And they won't.

You just have to be smart enough to see a few steps ahead.

• Haha
Here’s a crazy one. Kofi is making the same as NBA rookie Ayo this year. Ayo’s rookie contract is $1.25 million.

Like Oscar of UK, Kofi is not a first round draft pick. Heck, Kofi isn’t even a second round pick likely. NBA game has changed so much since the Shaq style of centers.

Kofi would probably make about $400,000 in the G-League, less than third what he makes in college. There is a good chance Kofi comes back for his senior year unless he is just tired of 2-3 guys hanging on him every game.

No, the majority of college basketball teams dont have the resources or connections to compete with a Kentucky in any serious way.

And they won't.

You just have to be smart enough to see a few steps ahead.
You’re pretty sanctimonious when people argue with you dude. Ohio State and Texas have by far the largest athletic departments in the country. And I understand NIL has nothing to do with that. But Texas obviously has way more rich alums than Kentucky as well. Why can they or why are they not dumping NIL money into their basketball program? You just keep saying Kentucky has advantages. Any Tom Dick or Harry rich alum can drop whatever they want on Caitlin Clark.

Here’s a crazy one. Kofi is making the same as NBA rookie Ayo this year. Ayo’s rookie contract is $1.25 million.

Like Oscar of UK, Kofi is not a first round draft pick. Heck, Kofi isn’t even a second round pick likely. NBA game has changed so much since the Shaq style of centers.

Kofi would probably make about $400,000 in the G-League, less than third what he makes in college. There is a good chance Kofi comes back for his senior year unless he is just tired of 2-3 guys hanging on him every game.
If he comes back isn’t that good for the college game? So unless I’m wrong (possibility) Kofi was not lured to Illinois by NIL money, he has been there at least 2 years before someone decided they wanted to toss some money out there. So Illinois gained no advantage as they already had him. Correct?

You’re pretty sanctimonious when people argue with you dude. Ohio State and Texas have by far the largest athletic departments in the country. And I understand NIL has nothing to do with that. But Texas obviously has way more rich alums than Kentucky as well. Why can they or why are they not dumping NIL money into their basketball program? You just keep saying Kentucky has advantages. Any Tom Dick or Harry rich alum can drop whatever they want on Caitlin Clark.
Sure rich Texans could if they wanted too, im sure they'll buy the best team in football eventually.

My point is advertising isn't about fandom. Boosters are one thing but now the door is open to corporate advertising.

Nike doesn't pay players because they are fans, they pay for exposure. And that's where this will end up.

Teams that already have a national audience are going to be able to partner with companies like Nike in ways they couldn't before.

Its just seems really obvious to me that unlimited bidding wars and more shoe company money is not going to lead to more competitive balance.

Reactions: littlez
If he comes back isn’t that good for the college game? So unless I’m wrong (possibility) Kofi was not lured to Illinois by NIL money, he has been there at least 2 years before someone decided they wanted to toss some money out there. So Illinois gained no advantage as they already had him. Correct?
And I didn't specifically mean you have to be smart enough.

Just people in general.

Sure rich Texans could if they wanted too, im sure they'll buy the best team in football eventually.

My point is advertising isn't about fandom. Boosters are one thing but now the door is open to corporate advertising.

Nike doesn't pay players because they are fans, they pay for exposure. And that's where this will end up.

Teams that already have a national audience are going to be able to partner with companies like Nike in ways they couldn't before.

Its just seems really obvious to me that unlimited bidding wars and more shoe company money is not going to lead to more competitive balance.
I agree - there should be some regulation and enforcement around NIL .... whether it is team caps or something similar. And definitely more transparency.

You're amazing. You can tell the color of someone's skin by reading text. Must be posting from your yacht.............FI.
You are the biggest honky on a board that's full of them. Congrats. Can't wait to hear about your favorite Hawks favorite movie! We know that's how you determine if you like them, not the actual product on the floor.

• Wow
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I'm not sure that most thought that NIL meant you could get millions of dollars for signing with a certain school. Most people thought a player should be able to capitalize on his name but the amounts seem to be way off kelter. If the "old white men" the dumbass above talks about decide they aren't interested in watching professional college football and aren't interested in donating to such a thing, good luck to the future of the sport. PS - I sure could use some cheap gas about know. I guess I am an idiot.

I'm not sure that most thought that NIL meant you could get millions of dollars for signing with a certain school. Most people thought a player should be able to capitalize on his name but the amounts seem to be way off kelter. If the "old white men" the dumbass above talks about decide they aren't interested in watching professional college football and aren't interested in donating to such a thing, good luck to the future of the sport. PS - I sure could use some cheap gas about know. I guess I am an idiot.
Before everyone loses their minds, which is of course what this will turn into, how many players in the B1G are making big money off the NIL in basketball? Or even football? I know someone on here said Kofi is making 1.5 or 1.2 million but I haven’t seen it. Not saying I don’t believe it but just haven’t seen it. Do you begrudge Caitlin Clark her NIL money from Hy Vee? If 7 people from Ohio State are making 50-100K off NIL is it changing their mind on where they are going to college? Would they have probably gone to OSU anyway? The other thing is doesn’t there need to be something for Hy Vee or whoever is putting out the money? Or what good is it for them?

The whole reason it was always against the rules was because buying recruits was always going to be the outcome.

Nobody cares if players make money, they care where they choose to play.

I wonder what those boosters think about their return on investment after being bounced in the first round.

I do think the return on investment aspect will start to bring these prices down. People are going to be so pissed when their cash doesn’t return national titles.

Stuff like this is going to happen and that’s sad. While I’m thrilled someone like Clark can profit off her own name and likeness this NIL is going to screw up major sports.
I would imagine that most of these athletes friends, families and fans are thrilled that someone like the athlete they support & follow are able to profit off their own name and likeness too…

Yes, we like it when Caitlin Clark gets her NIL money, but when kids from other schools get it it's unfair. I keep hearing about the so called competitive imbalance. Some of you have bitched for years about Kentucky, Duke, etc getting all the top players. Clark could have gone to any school in the country and chose to play for her home state. The top 100 kids for the last 25 years all have handlers, shady people, etc., working the system for them. Iowa has rarely gotten involved w/those kids anyway, except back in the Raveling days when we had our dealmakers as well. There also has to be some kind of return on investment for the guys dishing out the money. Clark is the face of Iowa basketball. Probably works pretty well for HyVee. I just think it will all play out in the end. Everyone is so worried about it, and I'm certainly willing to say I could be wrong but unless you see Iowa State or someone like that bringing in a top 10 FB class and those guys saying they are committing because of NIL I just don't see much changing except kids getting paid.

Exactly. Michigan, Texas, OSU, Kentucky, Hell Oregon and the other OSU in Oklahoma. I guess someone needs to steer these folks who want to put their names on Buildings on the Iowa campus to start shelling out for top notch players. Unfortunately they don't get the same bang for their buck on a personal level or leave the same kind of family legacy in that scenario.
Maybe the player can have a patch on his jersey saying "Purchased by John Doe."

I would imagine that most of these athletes friends, families and fans are thrilled that someone like the athlete they support & follow are able to profit off their own name and likeness too…
Of course, but OTOH I also don't think players should be able to become millionaires while in college either. I wish there was a balance.

As of the article posted in the OP, he hadn't decided on what he would do ...and there was no NIL deal actually signed (only one "multi-million" opportunity that his agent mentioned was on the table).

Any updates since then?

I'd imagine he'll still go thru a pre-draft camp in order to get feedback on his potential draft status?

If he comes back and gets this kind of money, good for him.

There are always outliers. Kentucky basketball, SEC football, among others will always have insane wealthy boosters willing to throw over-the-top $$ at a kid because they can.

I don't see how this particular NIL situation effects Iowa and how they will approach current players and recruits. Iowa will NEVER throw million$ at anyone ...and Iowa historically doesn't recruit/sign that type of player any way. It isn't going to start doing so with or without the NIL factor.

It's great how you people can't make a logical argument, so instead resort to racism, the thing you spout off most about. You're just proving our point for us.
Besides the sky falling, what is your point? Facts. Give me 5 names of players that we’ve lost to other schools in FB or BB because they said they went there because of NIL. We just landed the best player in the state of Iowa in many years in FB. We did it so far without NIzl to my knowledge. Now there might be something moving forward, I have no idea. Caitlin Clark could have gone anywhere in the country, literally anywhere and she chose Iowa. Why?

I also keep hearing about the haves and the have nots. We keep hearing about the Power 5 schools maybe eventually leaving and forming their own league. I’m just tired of hearing about the great underdog story that is Iowa. We are in the richest league in the country, if not 1 then 2.

Reactions: jonesy5960
The programs that are getting these kids before will be the ones still getting them. It's just a blue blood bidding war tbh.
This is true IMO. This whole NIL thing about the rich getting richer is entirely off base IMO. The rich already had the pick of the litter. Bama, Georgia, and OSU took as many 4 and 5 star players as they had scholarships to give out in football. Kansas, Kentucky and Duke took as many 4 and 5 star players as they had scholarships to give out in basketball. If anything NIL opened the door to some other schools with a few rich boosters (e.g. Arkansas and A&M) willing to compete with some of those bluebloods for the top talent. It's also going to keep some one and dones in college a few more years upping the overall talent level in the college ranks.

I was one that didn't think that NIL would create million dollar paydays for athletes - boy was I wrong.

I'm trying to understand the "payors" in this new world. I am wondering how much money I would have to have to spend 6 or 7 figures on an athlete to play for my favorite school.

I've met a lot of very wealthy people in Iowa as a CPA - people that could "afford" to do something big - but no one that has the wealth AND the crazy passion for Iowa sports to write a huge check just so the team can win a few more games. IMO, for this to work in Iowa, it's going to take a well organized fund raising machine to to establish a fund for these NIL deals, but then who decides how it will be used? A committee??

And how much of the money that is raised will simply be diverted from the current donation flow to the U?

It is what it is (a term I hate). We'll see.

When u have money involved its time to rewrite the rules of organized sports. When high school kids start pulling in thousands of dollars then it will end amateur sports all together?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT