ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky signs Bama 4* receiver…portal + NIL money paves the way!

Roy L Fuchs

HR MVP
Nov 23, 2012
They also landed a DL transfer from Ohio St. Their success last year was due to the portal and a commitment to NIL (Wan’Dale Robinson got a six-figure deal). Our staff better figure this out. Don’t tell me we can’t improve several positions on this team by using the portal. One thing is for sure, don’t show up with only a smile. Without NIL money, you have no chance. Our coaches better start embracing a NIL strategy or recruiting will start to suffer. Kentucky has a firm called Virtus Brand that helps secure NIL for players. Anything like that going on in Iowa City?? There should be. I’m too far away to be on the ground to secure NIL deals and work with big donors to start a NIL fund like Texas, Texas A&M, Kentucky and others. Those who master the NIL game will have a HUGE advantage on the recruiting trail. We are falling behind.

They also landed a DL transfer from Ohio St. Their success last year was due to the portal and a commitment to NIL (Wan’Dale Robinson got a six-figure deal). Our staff better figure this out. Don’t tell me we can’t improve several positions on this team by using the portal. One thing is for sure, don’t show up with only a smile. Without NIL money, you have no chance. Our coaches better start embracing a NIL strategy or recruiting will start to suffer. Kentucky has a firm called Virtus Brand that helps secure NIL for players. Anything like that going on in Iowa City?? There should be. I’m too far away to be on the ground to secure NIL deals and work with big donors to start a NIL fund like Texas, Texas A&M, Kentucky and others. Those who master the NIL game will have a HUGE advantage on the recruiting trail. We are falling behind.
Anything like that going on in Iowa City??

Yes

It appears that Iowa and Kirk need your help Roy! What can you give to help attract transfers to Iowa?

Come on Roy ! Get the checkbook out and sponsor the whole team ! Go Hawks !

Time for the big boys to step up and break out their check books...

Gas-Station-SDP-1x1-2021.jpg

XGJ5mW2k9YLk.jpg

50fc556978f35ae97f9cd4ec6150b738.jpeg

Von-Maur.png

cd55fc05-68fe-4406-ae45-1a1da8189919-large16x9_PizzaRanch.png

a0f2b0f6-a96e-409a-aa27-f7a3706c8d3f-large16x9_1280x720_20826L00WVFVH.png

I hope all the NIL proponents like the way this is headed.

Hell, Roy-the car lot ought to be able to put together some sweet-ass deals for prospects. Get us the best punter money can buy.

Here's some clarification Q & A's about NIL that also remind us the NCAA NIL is still operating under "interim" policy:

LINK: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...for-college-athletes/nc9f6trq3oh1dwd1m5vmnvw4

Also:
"In 2019, California passed the Fair Pay to Play Act which allowed athletes to earn compensation for their NIL starting in 2023. Florida moved up the timeline, passing a similar bill that went into effect July 1, 2021.

To avoid giving individual states an unfair recruitment advantage, the NCAA drafted a new policy, but before it was put to a vote, the Department of Justice flagged it for containing a potential antitrust violation. Not wanting to subject itself to further litigation after the Supreme Court ruled this summer that the NCAA violated antitrust laws by limiting non-cash, educational benefits for athletes, the NCAA implemented a bare bones interim policy with two main stipulations: athletes cannot be paid for on-field performance and schools cannot offer impermissible incentives to attend".

Here's another possible angle, NIL is comparable to an internet influencer as social media is expected to be a big player in NIL:
"“Since [influencers] don't work under a single company and are hired as outside ambassadors and such, they must pay the self-employment tax as well as income tax,” says Clayton Hasbrook, attorney at OklahomaLawyer.Dec 8, 2021

It appears there's more clarifications to follow and that things could get even more muddy, e.g., taxable income, treated as employees of the sponsoring funding company and/or persons, etc.

There are now starters moving from team to team. I wonder what the affect on team chemistry will be? FBS football is not like a game of pickup basketball on the play ground, chemistry matters, knowing you can trust the guy next to you matters. Let's see how this plays out.

Kentucky didn't use NIL money to recruit these kids. We're an up and coming SEC program and that's high profile for both future NFL prospects and potential future NIL deals. Now, I'm not a huge fan of the transfer portal and immediate eligibility, nor am I a fan of NIL but it is what it is and here we are. UK has done an excellent job of utilizing the Portal the last two years to fill in gaps in recruiting for positions of need and that has been instrumental in this past years success and hopefully next years success.

I know that is 100% false. Absolutely NIL involved. Not saying anything illegal. But, I know NIL was involved and also involved heavily with the current recruiting class.

That is 100% false. I know NIL was involved. I’m not saying anything illegal. But, NIL involved.
That should have read, "didn't have to use NIL money". Now, how do you know for a fact? I don't follow recruiting that closely other than National Signing Day.

That should have read, "didn't have to use NIL money". Now, how do you know for a fact? I don't follow recruiting that closely other than National Signing Day.
I don’t know. Just yanking your chain. But, I’ve heard/read of other portal targets with other teams landing top portal targets using NIL. Eventually, NIL $$$ history for past players will be part of every teams recruiting playbook.

Hell, Roy-the car lot ought to be able to put together some sweet-ass deals for prospects. Get us the best punter money can buy.
Every time I see a post from ol’ Roy I roll my eyes. But then I laugh and am in a good mood because he reminds me of how frickin funny that movie is. I need to go watch it again, it’s been a number of years.

I was starting to take this seriously then I saw it was you who posted it.

Here's another possible angle, NIL is comparable to an internet influencer as social media is expected to be a big player in NIL:
"“Since [influencers] don't work under a single company and are hired as outside ambassadors and such, they must pay the self-employment tax as well as income tax,” says Clayton Hasbrook, attorney at OklahomaLawyer.Dec 8, 2021

It appears there's more clarifications to follow and that things could get even more muddy, e.g., taxable income, treated as employees of the sponsoring funding company and/or persons, etc.
I don't think there is any doubt it will be treated a self-employment income as well as taxable income. Now if they are treated as employees, it could open up a big can of worms, namely retirement plan benefits, unemployment, liability, etc.

Sooner or later, I'm afraid, athletes will get paid directly from the school, which may pave the way for some additional fun - like athletic departments breaking away from the school, loss of tax-exempt status - minor league professional football.

Hopefully all this is a very long time from now.

The rules preclude using NIL from being used to recruit.
Iowa follows the rules.
It's called integrity.
These are the new rules. For better or worse, pay for play is here to stay. If Iowa doesn't get an NIL collective together, this school will become 1980's Northwestern

I don't think there is any doubt it will be treated a self-employment income as well as taxable income. Now if they are treated as employees, it could open up a big can of worms, namely retirement plan benefits, unemployment, liability, etc.

Sooner or later, I'm afraid, athletes will get paid directly from the school, which may pave the way for some additional fun - like athletic departments breaking away from the school, loss of tax-exempt status - minor league professional football.

I would be shocked if the schools don’t eventually pay the players directly. I’m sure there are already a number of schools that would like to pay the players. As the TV contracts keep adding zeros, some of the SEC schools are going to wonder why they can’t use some of that money to try to lure the best recruits. I could also easily envision some lawsuits from players challenging the legal status of the current setup. The current model where kids can make millions but the schools can’t pay them seems inherently unstable to me. I just can’t imagine this current model will last long-term.

Kentucky didn't use NIL money to recruit these kids. We're an up and coming SEC program and that's high profile for both future NFL prospects and potential future NIL deals. Now, I'm not a huge fan of the transfer portal and immediate eligibility, nor am I a fan of NIL but it is what it is and here we are. UK has done an excellent job of utilizing the Portal the last two years to fill in gaps in recruiting for positions of need and that has been instrumental in this past years success and hopefully next years success.
Kentucky has had years of experience funneling money to players in basketball. It is no big deal now that they care just a little about football now.

Integrity doesn't win championships - blue bloods don't care about anything but winning.

I don't care to see Iowa pursue a win-at-all-costs approach. If you can only win by sacrificing integrity, I'll take not winning. Football just isn't that important. I'm amazed at the sheer number of morally bankrupt people who will do anything for the almighty 'W'.

Don't forget title IX and the impact to non-revenue sports.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT