ADVERTISEMENT

NIL and portal

Lootownguy

Rookie
Apr 6, 2021
Was looking at recruiting rankings for the next couple of years. Appears that most are heading to in-State schools and the blue bloods which is nothing new. Outside of a random portal fix which seem to be about 50/50 for most teams, do you think NIL and the portal will really help anyone outside of the old money?

Seems to taking hold that NIL for HS recruits is fading a bit already.
Too risky outside of very elite slam dunk guys.
Nil will be used for luring top transfers and retaining your key guys.
So yes the blueblood will continue to prosper but some of their depth could be picked off a la Cade Mac.

I think the collective should help iowa retain guys that are pretty good. They are getting some money and getting to bond with players and do good for the community. I don’t think that’s what NIL was intended to be originally but it’s a good thing they way they are doing it.
Caitlin Clark shows you can get monster NIL deals at any school as long as you can ball…

Reactions: Wadzinator
Was looking at recruiting rankings for the next couple of years. Appears that most are heading to in-State schools and the blue bloods which is nothing new. Outside of a random portal fix which seem to be about 50/50 for most teams, do you think NIL and the portal will really help anyone outside of the old money?
It did help Iowa for the most part. Once Jackson, KBrown, SAnderson got acclimated they produced. All certainly was helpful, Feth played a bunch. Parker is/was a miss, CMcN gets an incomplete due to injury.

As is the case every year, you'll have kids who move along to "greener pastures". With Swarm in place, it should be easier to get kids to replace those that leave or retain the ones you don't want to leave. In theory anyway.

I think the collective should help iowa retain guys that are pretty good. They are getting some money and getting to bond with players and do good for the community. I don’t think that’s what NIL was intended to be originally but it’s a good thing they way they are doing it.
Caitlin Clark shows you can get monster NIL deals at any school as long as you can ball…
While I agree to an extend, Clark is brought up often, but its such a poor comparison. The ONLY reason she has surged to the forefront, (especially as a womans player) is because she is transending the norms for a player and personality. She isn't JUST a really good player. HER (as titled in several stories) value as a spokesperson has exploded because shes not only the best player now, but possibly ever, and she has come about at just the right time to lift her sport into the public eye. There is no one in the college mens game, in football or basketball who is garnering this type of attention. For numerous sites who label her the most well known, and exciting player, (note, not just woman, not just basketball) in college sports, is remarkable, and frankly would have been unthinkable before she came along....

While I agree to an extend, Clark is brought up often, but its such a poor comparison. The ONLY reason she has surged to the forefront, (especially as a womans player) is because she is transending the norms for a player and personality. She isn't JUST a really good player. HER (as titled in several stories) value as a spokesperson has exploded because shes not only the best player now, but possibly ever, and she has come about at just the right time to lift her sport into the public eye. There is no one in the college mens game, in football or basketball who is garnering this type of attention. For numerous sites who label her the most well known, and exciting player, (note, not just woman, not just basketball) in college sports, is remarkable, and frankly would have been unthinkable before she came along....
Very true! I guess poor comparison… I agree on all points. I suppose I have to find a better example. But my point was, no matter what p5 school you are at, it you are balling out some sponsors will get you money. The collectives are great for retaining good players that aren’t going to get huge NIL deals elsewhere. Like a joe Evans/Higgins/Lee type player. They can make some money here and I don’t teams would be offering them hundreds of thousands to come over in the portal…
Iowa can keep them by maintaining a decent chunck of cash in the Swarm…

Reactions: kceasthawk
all the football players should post on twitter about clark's awesomeness, which will bring even more NIL money to clark, she in turn promotes iowa football and becomes a nil sponsor getting us great players, football players advertise clark's awesomeness, which will bring even more NIL money to clark....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT