ADVERTISEMENT

KF / BF presser

Maybe this is all a part of the master plan to save the University millions by not having to pay for the demolition portion of the south endzone.....because if this offense stays on the same path....students are goin to tear that south side apart!

Reactions: iahawks10
Once again, a giant middle finger to the fans from Kirk. Bringing up the 12 game win streak which is ancient history. Unbelievable.

What do you do with the worst (or second worst) QB in college football for a team DEAD LAST in offense (by a wide margin)? If you are Kirk Ferentz, you keep playing him of course.

I know what he’s doing. He figures since Nevada is so bad on defense Petras is bound to put up decent numbers. Then Kirk can say “I told you so” and not have to admit he was wrong.

Well Kirk, that will only work until Petras stinks it up in Big 10 games. You will eventually be forced to bench him…..but by then it will be too late to save the season.

I almost admire the gall at this point. I mean I don’t, but almost. Clearly I don’t agree with the decision, but at least he is clearly stating it’s his call as coach. Maybe that’s to partly give air cover for Brian. But also bc I do think KF is a man of conviction and we’re seeing it here…as wrong as we may feel it to be.

Even the best leaders have a sounding board - someone he/she can trust. Who is KFs right now??

I just watched KF's interview. Freaking amazing! I do believe that starting SP is all of his doing. He is screwing Padilla 10 ways to Sunday, by not giving him this start prior to Big Ten play. I am just amazed what came out of his mouth. KF is gone.

why would Labas and May stick around for this?

Why would any high school QB sign a LOI for this?

I almost admire the gall at this point. I mean I don’t, but almost. Clearly I don’t agree with the decision, but at least he is clearly stating it’s his call as coach. Maybe that’s to partly give air cover for Brian. But also bc I do think KF is a man of conviction and we’re seeing it here…as wrong as we may feel it to be.

Even the best leaders have a sounding board - someone he/she can trust. Who is KFs right now??

I am hoping Mary holds out until KF makes a QB change

that's our only hope right now

This team is going to quit on him before the season ends, and we'll have more N fans in the stands on Black Friday.

I know we joke about it, but seriously, I think KF is senile and may need to visit a neurologist.

Yeah, this whole "us against the world" thing can only go so far. We literally have the worst ranked offense in FBS.

• Sad
Reactions: fezzador
He was with the comment about being HC, going with Spencer and not caring what the fans think. The man is nuts. Needs to be done. Put out to pasture.

It’s not about what you’ve done last season or the season before that, it’s about what are you doing in the present and what you will do in the future.

my god, we are wasting our defense & Tory Taylor

this could get really, really bleeping ugly

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
If the fans don't Iike it, they should go tailgate, have a great time and then not attend the game. If you want to send a message, that is what needs to happen.

Didnt we sell out the season a month before the season?

Won't say who or how, but there are have been more fights in practice so far this week than usual. Its a bit heated, so maybe it will translate to popping the cork on Saturday night and taking out a lot of pent up frustration.
On Nevada?! LOL

Nevada is a pathetic excuse for a football team. Anything Iowa does against them will be due to the poor level of opposition and absolutely nothing else. It's a horrible team to play, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Iowa struggles like heck on offense, even against this group of nobodies.

Maybe Iowa's defense should take out their frustrations by refusing to play until KF puts a new QB and an actual offense on the field. That would be an effective way to take out their frustrations.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Serious question.

What if Petras plays how he has this weekend...Iowa wins like 12-3. No change is made. Then Padilla/Labas enter the portal Sunday.

That would have to be the wildest story in college football right?

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Serious question.

What if Petras plays how he has this weekend...Iowa wins like 12-3. No change is made. Then Padilla/Labas enter the portal Sunday.

That would have to be the wildest story in college football right?
There are guys playing IM football that can fill Spencer’s shoes. If all we’re asking a starting Big Ten quarterback to do is hand off twice then overthrow the tight end, there are probably a couple hundred guys on campus that can do that.

I guess we’re simply left to speculate. Seeing this all unfold and listening to the language and tone, I actually think BF probably wants switch. He may even want to call a very different offensive scheme for all we know. But can’t! It could also mean that Padilla and Labas are flat out bad and our true future is in the hands of May or Lainez.

Of course it could mean other things too - but the above almost seems best case scenario and that sure doesn’t feel good!

I’ve always thought Ferentz’s “execution” excuse is a back-handed way of blaming the players. It reeks of “Well we had a great game plan and would have won if only the players did their jobs”.

When “execution” (or lack thereof) is a recurring theme week after week the coaching staff either (a) isn’t doing a good job of working with the players on correcting mistakes, or (b) continuing to play guys who aren’t cutting the mustard.

I’ve always thought Ferentz’s “execution” excuse is a back-handed way of blaming the players. It reeks of “Well we had a great game plan and would have won if only the players did their jobs”.

When “execution” (or lack thereof) is a recurring theme week after week the coaching staff either (a) isn’t doing a good job of working with the players on correcting mistakes, or (b) continuing to play guys who aren’t cutting the mustard.
thinking the same thing, offense is set up to succeed if the players would just execute.

It is just a bad situation, Ferentz is choosing Petras, the worst QB in college football to be stubborn about. Likely going to be a large slide downward at the end of Ferentz's great coaching career at Iowa

I think it makes a ton of sense. Brian has shown a willingness to run a much more wide open offense (see the USC bowl game, for one) and in some other games, you can see the play calls there to open things up, but they’re just not executed. I say this not to defend anything about the offense, but in the past, it’s seemed like Brian wants to open things up and Kirk pumps the breaks a bit. The last 8 games, it’s like Kirk has slammed the breaks. It’s especially interesting given last week’s comments from Brian at the presser about plays not being made at QB and potential for changes only to see Kirk then say “no”.

Kirk has a legacy. Even if this winds up turning into the bitter end over stubbornness on his part, he still has the top 10 finishes, the B1G and B1G West titles, some huge bowl wins, etc. That doesn’t go away because the offense drags everything down now. But Brian? Someone is torching his career aspirations right now. At least one of these things is true:

1. Brian doesn’t know that this offense is bad and/or doesn’t have any ideas on how to improve it.
2. Kirk is taking his offensive conservatism to the extreme because of how good the D is.
3. The other QBs on campus are pure dog crap.

I don’t really buy #1 because Brian has shown more in the past. He’s never had a top offense, but for stretches in 2018-2019 it was pretty productive and from the last 6 games in 2020 through the first 6 games last year, Iowa averaged close to 30 PPG (some of it was D scores). It wasn’t an elite offense, but during that run, I’d bet it was close to average and certainly not worse than 75th, which is enough offense with a good D to win games.

I completely buy #2, but if it’s #2, Kirk apparently doesn’t realize that he’s just wrecking his kid’s career, at least in the short term.

I don’t buy #3. We saw Padilla last year and while he’s not a top QB, He’s just not that different overall from Petras. I can’t believe that when Petras is going this badly (something like 1 TD to 10 INT in his last 10 games based on a stat I saw on the broadcast Saturday) that Alex is SO bad that those numbers would get appreciably worse.

I’m not touting BF as some offensive genius, I just don‘t think he’s a complete dolt. I think they run an offense that’s too complex for what it is (and this is a KF thing, it’s been that way through KOK and GD as well) and Petras ain’t the guy. If he’s not the guy, you only eventually find the guy by moving on. Maybe Padilla ain’t the guy either, but it’s time to give another shot or just skip him and go to Labas.

The one thing I think I know with 100% certainty right now is that in his current mental state, Petras is definitely not the guy.
So you think an OC, even a coach’s son, is going to allow his own reputation and career to be destroyed by being closed into a box and prevented from doing what he wants to do while their offense finishes in the bottom of the country last year? You think he is going to continue to coach in a program where he is micromanaged and they are the bottom this year? No OC or DC is going to do that. People who think this are completely off base. KF has a say in the offense, just like Saban or any HC has a say in the offense or defense. Ultimately, you let your coaches coach. That is why you hire them.

Got to give it to Kirk, He must have been one of those Samurai Generals in a previous life that fell on their swords after a surrender/defeat.

The Big 10 Championship Game last year convinced me to not be so invested. I watch the games, even go to a few, but I am not expecting anything as long as the KF is still here.

Reactions: iahawks10
thinking the same thing, offense is set up to succeed if the players would just execute.

It is just a bad situation, Ferentz is choosing Petras, the worst QB in college football to be stubborn about. Likely going to be a large slide downward at the end of Ferentz's great coaching career at Iowa

What will need to change regarding the offense is that the offense can’t rely on near-perfect execution to succeed. I can understand the offense struggling with all the injuries and attrition. What we’ve seen is an inability for even basic execution.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT