ADVERTISEMENT

KF / BF presser

This will be very telling and directly impact my decision to stay home or go Saturday. If they triple down on Petras in their press conference answers they can get lost….I’ll watch this disaster on TV.

In regards to this, it’s really interesting how many media members are beginning to question this in their podcasts! Chad leistikow, washed up walk ons, and David eicholt all questioned how much say Brian has in his offense and the quarterback.
It just seemed weird to me because the language Brian used about Petras's performance was much harsher than Kirks. And we all know it was Kirk overriding O'Keefe with the Stanzi-Christensen battle in 08 until finally relenting.

"Brian when will you be stepping down as the OC to save your father's legacy?"

"Couldn't find a different job last season so the end of this season."

"Kirk how are you going to save this season and your legacy?"

"I've promoted Brian to Co-Head Coach and in the process of filling the vacant OC and QB Coach"
I'd actually be ok with this. I'd also be okay with making Brian Oline/Assistant HC. It seems like it's one of the very few paths forward to allow Kirk and Brian to save face while bringing on a competent OC/QB Coach.

In regards to this, it’s really interesting how many media members are beginning to question this in their podcasts! Chad leistikow, washed up walk ons, and David eicholt all questioned how much say Brian has in his offense and the quarterback.
Head coaches make the call on who plays QB. That way all across the country.

This will be very telling and directly impact my decision to stay home or go Saturday. If they triple down on Petras in their press conference answers they can get lost….I’ll watch this disaster on TV.
Scott Dochterman belives Padilla will start, but the offense will be limited as they can't run a good chunk of what they normally would do with 3 WR sets. Until we get some WR's healthy they can't run it.

I'd actually be ok with this. I'd also be okay with making Brian Oline/Assistant HC. It seems like it's one of the very few paths forward to allow Kirk and Brian to save face while bringing on a competent OC/QB Coach.
I've thought the same.

Scott Dochterman belives Padilla will start, but the offense will be limited as they can't run a good chunk of what they normally would do with 3 WR sets. Until we get some WR's healthy they can't run it.
Ragaini has been cleared to play, no reason to rush him this weekend. Also, I have zero idea how they don't expect to see improvement given how atrocious Nevada's defense is.

Ragaini has been cleared to play, no reason to rush him this weekend. Also, I have zero idea how they don't expect to see improvement given how atrocious Nevada's defense is.
And that is why you can't judge improvement based on one game against this opponent.

Don't count your chickens. Nevada's defense isn't as bad as Iowa's offense. Mid 80's in defensive efficiency. New Mexico State only put up 12 points against them and right now they are ranked higher than Iowa in most offensive categories.

Reactions: dadster
Don't count your chickens. Nevada's defense isn't as bad as Iowa's offense. Mid 80's in defensive efficiency. New Mexico State only put up 12 points against them and right now they are ranked higher than Iowa in most offensive categories.
Yeah, giving up 55 points against an FCS team that lost their starting QB to a transfer last year. Once again, Nevada's defense is like swiss cheese. I don't doubt that Iowa will have trouble putting up 3 scores, but make no mistake their defense is trash.

I have truly wondered what the answer is to this too.

My guess: the final decision is Kirk's.

Kirk's answer will be: "It's always a collaborative decision among coaches"
Kirk with Veto power. The coordinators/coaches need to press more and make Kirk change it. Can't be a yes man when the house is burning to the ground.

Yeah, giving up 55 points against an FCS team that lost their starting QB to a transfer last year. Once again, Nevada's defense is like swiss cheese. I don't doubt that Iowa will have trouble putting up 3 scores, but make no mistake their defense is trash.
That FCS team has an offense that is 100x better than Iowa's and is not from the 1950's.

Reactions: Ronman
"Brian when will you be stepping down as the OC to save your father's legacy?"

"Couldn't find a different job last season so the end of this season."

"Kirk how are you going to save this season and your legacy?"

"I've promoted Brian to Co-Head Coach and in the process of filling the vacant OC and QB Coach"
Mary Ferentz is the leading candidate at the moment.

Kirk with Veto power. The coordinators/coaches need to press more and make Kirk change it. Can't be a yes man when the house is burning to the ground.
Which coaches are we talking about? I think the hope was that Brian would bring about change by being a voice that Kirk would listen to. Either Brian's voice doesn't matter, or Brian is at best complicit in the matter of throwing Spencer out there when he is clearly broken. I also recall the buzz, both negative and positive, when Brian assumed the QB coaching role. He was going to bring new ideas and raise the mental aspects of Spencer's game. Giving up on Spencer who looks much worse after a year of Brian's mentoring will be a bitter pill to swallow.

Reactions: iahawks10
You are actually concerned about this defense? If Iowa loses to Nevada, they should immediately fire the entire staff.
I don’t think any of us are concerned about their defense. We are concerned about OUR offense. Granted I do think SDSU and ISU defenses are better than many would give them credit for.

Only thing I’m concerned about is turnovers. Nevada has a +9 turnover differential. How much of that is the other team giving the ball away, I don’t know. But we haven’t done a very good job taking care of the football through two games. And that’s while playing conservatively.

Which coaches are we talking about? I think the hope was that Brian would bring about change by being a voice that Kirk would listen to. Either Brian's voice doesn't matter, or Brian is at best complicit in the matter of throwing Spencer out there when he is clearly broken. I also recall the buzz, both negative and positive, when Brian assumed the QB coaching role. He was going to bring new ideas and raise the mental aspects of Spencer's game. Giving up on Spencer who looks much worse after a year of Brian's mentoring will be a bitter pill to swallow.
I have a very hard time believing this is Brian's doing. Think he's in a bad spot, it's his dad that gave him this opp but doubt he agrees with him. We all know this is Kirk's offense been the same for 20 years. Brian is too young to not change something when it's not working. Kirk has history of sticking with sh!tty QB's. Older you get less risk you take and Kirk is prime example of it. He's Joe Paterno on the sidelines.

I don’t think any of us are concerned about their defense. We are concerned about OUR offense. Granted I do think SDSU and ISU defenses are better than many would give them credit for.

Only thing I’m concerned about is turnovers. Nevada has a +9 turnover differential. How much of that is the other team giving the ball away, I don’t know. But we haven’t done a very good job taking care of the football through two games. And that’s while playing conservatively.
I am beyond not worried about their defense or our offense against Nevada. What I'm worried about is establishing something moving forward against Rutgers next week.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
Honestly, what did we expect from a lineman turned QB coach? Did we really think a guy who has never taken a snap from center in his life will have any useful insight on the position?
But in reality, it doesn’t matter. Kirk expects his QB to get to 4th down without a turnover so he can punt. And he doesn’t expect anything else. Yards, first downs, and points, all take a backseat to punting.

Last edited:
I am beyond not worried about their defense or our offense against Nevada. What I'm worried about is establishing something moving forward against Rutgers next week.
I’m concerned the offense will look competent under Padilla, and they’ll have an excuse to not change a damn thing.

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman
You are actually concerned about this defense? If Iowa loses to Nevada, they should immediately fire the entire staff.
I am not saying they are going to lose, I am saying unless progress is made, scoring is still going to be a challenge against them. It will be an easy win but mostly due to the defense again because I don't think they will score.
An offense that is better than Iowa's scored 12 points against them.

Honestly, what did we expect from lineman turned QB coach? Did we really think a guy who has never taken a snap from center in his life to have any useful insight on the position?
But in reality, it doesn’t matter. Kirk expects his QB to get to 4th down without a turnover so he can punt. And he doesn’t expect anything else. Yards, first downs, and points, all take a backseat to punting.
Kirk prefers a slow roll scheme. Always has. Always will. Agree or disagree, it has served him well with a long illustrious career. The situation under Brian is different and by every metric the offense is collapsing under his watch. I'm not giving Kirk a free pass here because ultimately the results of the entire team are his responsibility and he hired Brian and is responsible for his performance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT