ADVERTISEMENT

KF to Auburn

giphy.gif

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
When KF retires, Iowa should do with football what it did with swimming: shut it down. There's no way anyone in the known universe could possibly continue the dominance KF has established at Iowa, so why bother trying? Who else could waltz through the nonconference gauntlet of North Dakota State, UNI, Western Michigan, Arkansas State, Ball State, Northern Illinois, and the like? Who else could consistently mismanage the clock, consistently lose to Wisconsin and Northwestern, and consistently fail to effectively evaluate offensive talent, especially at the QB position?

No, when KF retires, just pack it in. Iowa football was nothing until he built it out of scraps, designed the Tiger Hawk, adopted a classic uniform, boldly said Iowa would join Ohio State at the top of the Big Ten, and never made excuses for losing. KF, unlike Woody Hayes, Alvarez, Bielema, or Meyer, is irreplaceable.

RIP Iowa football.

Hayden loved Kirk.

I looked at the Auburn site to see who was on their head coaching list

Mario Cristobal-Oregon head coach
Billy Napier-Louisiana Lafayette head coach
Kevin Steele-Auburn DC
Hugh Freeze-Liberty head coach
Steve Sarkisian-Alabama OC

That may be the case, but being a head coach in the SEC is really and truly a popularity contest. He was a fairly successful coach, and probably was about on par with Tuberville as being the most successful coach after Pat Dye, but he was unpopular with the boosters from the day he was hired.

The fact of the matter is, Auburn has never been, and never will be a consistent powerhouse like Alabama. They have spurts of Bama-like success, but can't seem to keep the momentum going for more than a couple of seasons at a time, and then revert back to their usual 7-5/8-4 form. There's a reason why many Auburn fans are wanting to trade spots with Missouri and go to the SEC East - it's by far the easier division and Auburn is usually good enough to split the Florida and Georgia games. And there's quite a few Bama fans that would rather keep Tennessee as their permanent cross-over rival than Auburn. The hate in the Iron Bowl is definitely lopsided as Auburn absolutely despises the color crimson, while Bama simply wants nothing more than to put Auburn in their place in the most business-like fashion possible.
Georgia is 13-3 against Auburn in the last 15 years. The Tigers/War Eagles/Plainsmen have a better record against Alabama in the same time span. As a Georgia fan I would be OK with trading Auburn and Missouri except that Georgia would get stuck with Missouri as the permanent cross-over game. We would end up with a tougher team in the East with the same schedule and having to go to Missouri every other year.

Kirk knows better than to ever leave the big ten west and Barta nonconference scheduling. If you struggle with NW and purdue the SEC would be a problem. Look at Bielema

I wish he would get a shot at Auburn, or any job in a big-time recruiting market so people could see what he would do with talent equal to those he already beats.

Iowas recruiting will suffer significantly when he leaves. The 1 advantage KF did have in recruiting, was the stability of the HC being there for all years of someone's sons time on campus.

The only thing that will ease the significant drop off will be if BF or possibly Parker, gets the job. But, it still won't be the same with The Captain atop the program. I suggest yall enjoy his last few years here, if indeed he sticks around for a few more.

And yes,, I get frustrated at times with certain play calls, or missed managed clocks, but in the end there is no one who compares with the consistent overachements of KF in college footballs history.

I’m not set one way or the other on who should succeed KF, but this is ridiculous. Iowa has a ton to sell......and yet when Fry retired, Bob Stoops was the only one who could save us. This nobody KF comes in and here we are 20+ years later.

Iowa will get serious coaching candidates when KF retires:
  • There are only 60-ish P5 jobs period.
  • B1G is one of the most lucrative conferences in the country.
  • Iowa has a winning recent history: winning records in 30 of the last 40 seasons, 18 top 25 ratings in that span with 7 top 10 finishes
  • Job security - 2 Iowa head coaches in 42 years
They’re probably not going to get the Nick Saban type coach, but there would be a lot of good, established coaches who would love to step up to Iowa and potentially finish their career here....or get the right young guy and maybe we’ll look back and say Iowa has had 3 coaches over 60 years.

When KF retires, Iowa should do with football what it did with swimming: shut it down. There's no way anyone in the known universe could possibly continue the dominance KF has established at Iowa, so why bother trying? Who else could waltz through the nonconference gauntlet of North Dakota State, UNI, Western Michigan, Arkansas State, Ball State, Northern Illinois, and the like? Who else could consistently mismanage the clock, consistently lose to Wisconsin and Northwestern, and consistently fail to effectively evaluate offensive talent, especially at the QB position?

No, when KF retires, just pack it in. Iowa football was nothing until he built it out of scraps, designed the Tiger Hawk, adopted a classic uniform, boldly said Iowa would join Ohio State at the top of the Big Ten, and never made excuses for losing. KF, unlike Woody Hayes, Alvarez, Bielema, or Meyer, is irreplaceable.

RIP Iowa football.

TryingTooHard.png

Other than the part about wishing KF to AUburn, I think you're mostly on the right page. Despite a segment of the fan base not wanting to admit it, Iowa is indeed a fairly tough place to win, largely because of the state's limited population base resulting in comparatively limited in-state talent. And I agree the continuity in the program has definitely worked to Iowa's advantage over the past 40+ years, which is why I suspect BF is the front-runner to be the successor to his father.

I’ll agree with Iowa not being an easy place to win, but JHF and KF have won plenty over the last 40 years. Recruits today weren’t even alive before Brad Banks was Iowa’s QB. If their parents are football fans, their parents don’t remember anything before Fry. At the absolute worst, Iowa is a place where you can go and compete, enjoy some winning seasons and solid bowl experiences and have a shot in the NFL.

Reactions: 24 so far
I think KF stays at least one more year at Iowa. Brian will still be the next head coach. Winning and an exciting offense buys forgiveness. They handled the scandal flawlessly.

I’m not set one way or the other on who should succeed KF, but this is ridiculous. Iowa has a ton to sell......and yet when Fry retired, Bob Stoops was the only one who could save us. This nobody KF comes in and here we are 20+ years later.

• Iowa has a winning recent history: winning records in 30 of the last 40 seasons, 18 top 25 ratings in that span with 7 top 10 finishes
They’re probably not going to get the Nick Saban type coach, but there would be a lot of good, established coaches who would love to step up to Iowa and potentially finish their career here....or get the right young guy and maybe we’ll look back and say Iowa has had 3 coaches over 60 years.

I get what you're saying and agree with most of it, but..you rebutt my point on the obstacles of Iowa, with all the successes of KF basically, who you called some nobody before he got to Iowa. Those obstacles sti exist, KF just has a system that works around them and targets development & positions that aren't so highly recruited.

I'm pretty sure KF had some remarkable experiences in the NFL where he was respected as a top notch Oline philosopher, and that has all translated to Iowas success.

I am always amazed at how most fans only look at a name and how fancy it is in the eyes of the sports media, but fail to appreciate the critical thinkers of the game who are geniuses of the game. Sure once in a while those two match and make a great head coach, but its rare. I mean, what better example of a name only, but 0 consistency as a HC -- Auburn's, fired again - Gus M.

Add to that a big, loyal fan base and strong alumni $upport. Iowa is a top 25 job, easily.

Add to that a big, loyal fan base and strong alumni $upport. Iowa is a top 25 job, easily.

No doubt a top 25, which KF has surpassed on several occasions, but to be a consistent BIG title contender = being, id say, a top 8 program in the country, is a huge step, and nearly impossible with Iowas obstacles.

Certainly obtainable on occasion, as KF has put us as close as anyone, but not realistic to expect consistently.

I have to admit, the best part of this, is opening the 2nd page to a stuffed teddy bear smoking it up.

I get what you're saying and agree with most of it, but..you rebutt my point on the obstacles of Iowa, with all the successes of KF basically, who you called some nobody before he got to Iowa. Those obstacles sti exist, KF just has a system that works around them and targets development & positions that aren't so highly recruited.

I'm pretty sure KF had some remarkable experiences in the NFL where he was respected as a top notch Oline philosopher, and that has all translated to Iowas success.

I am always amazed at how most fans only look at a name and how fancy it is in the eyes of the sports media, but fail to appreciate the critical thinkers of the game who are geniuses of the game. Sure once in a while those two match and make a great head coach, but its rare. I mean, what better example of a name only, but 0 consistency as a HC -- Auburn's, fired again - Gus M.

We’re coming from the same place. I was being facetious with the “nobody” because the common wisdom at the time was that only Bob Stoops or maybe Chuck Long could have done it (in reality, Elliott was also a candidate). Ferentz was obviously well-known by Fry and the Iowa family and was a known commodity as an OL coach.

Iowa has obstacles, but the next coach also has 40+ years of roadmap showing how to have success and would expect to have the job security to carry out a plan.

Reactions: hawkisoaker

RIP F-ing Aristotle

FIFY

Bill Belichick can't beat Saban. Jon Gruden can't beat Saban. Bear Bryant's ghost can't beat Saban.

The best Auburn can hope for is to hire a middling coach on the cheap (huge buyout does factor in what they can realistically get) and then pony up for a huge name in 3-5 years, assuming Saban has retired by then.

Saban was a mediocre 15-17 in the NFL -- Several coaches beat him on a level playing field.

Iowa will always be Iowa. Lots of mediocre recruiting and 2nd to 8th in the B1G. We have a small population and cold weather to deal with. You could get Belichick to coach here and he'd never win a national title. Not because of coaching but because of recruiting. Just the truth guys.
You might get lightning in a bottle, like the basketball team but don't hold your breath. JMO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT