ADVERTISEMENT

Kid's Day check-in and updates

Some random takes :
Agree with Chad L about the RBs. They all looked good. L Williams TD was a beauty-juked someone (didn't catch the #) and was gone. Goodson's broken-play long run showcased his arsenal.
Miamen made a couple nice catches. Don't remember LaPorta being targeted but we know what we have there.
WRs looked good. Bruce made a great catch. Watching the drills there are several guys with great feet that run crisp routes

OL observations:
I was a little surprised Plumb was second team.
Richman has good feet. Needs to get stronger and I have no doubt he will.
Ince doesn't look like he moves as well as last year. Understandable with the injury. Looked good in pass pro but didn't come off the ball as well.
I honestly didn't focus on Linderbaum.
Britt was impressive. Justified the hope many have in him.
RT is a HUGE concern. From what I saw, Colby is the best option there. I will not go into specifics because I don't want to criticize anyone.

I think QB is in play. Padilla has made great strides. One open practice is not grounds for proclaiming one player over another but he looks like a serious threat to win the job.

Black and Bruce played a lot as the practice progressed. Black looks physically stronger than last year. Bruce is a bull. Got consistent penetration, albeit mistly against the twos. Craig did not do well early; flashed some as he got more reps.

Back seven were as expected-they all looked good. Jacobs made a couple very good tackles in space and showed the ability to cover a lot of ground.

Reactions: chaneccooms
I think QB is in play. Padilla has made great strides. One open practice is not grounds for proclaiming one player over another but he looks like a serious threat to win the job.

I get everything coming out is opinion. I also believe there’s maybe a reason Padilla was getting some reps with the 1’s. But everything that’s coming out after the practice is that Petras was the clear #1.

I wasn’t there (usually am) today so I cannot say one way or the other. So I want to ask… What did you see that maybe others didn’t that would lead you to believe QB is in play?

Reactions: Underscore2
Padilla'a ability to make plays. He extended plsys with his feet until guys came open. He is decisive when things break down.
His downsides? He is smaller and doesn't have as big an arm as SP. He looked like a more complete QB to me.
I will root for whichever guy gets the nod.

Reactions: chaneccooms
OL observations:
Ince doesn't look like he moves as well as last year. Understandable with the injury. Looked good in pass pro but didn't come off the ball as well.
RT is a HUGE concern. From what I saw, Colby is the best option there. I will not go into specifics because I don't want to criticize anyone.
Glad to hear this about Britt.

A couple non-performance items.
It was moving to watch the players interacting with kids as they walked into the stadium. Yahya and Hankins were a couple who especially went out of their way. . There are some great humans in the Iowa family.
The wave is special-even during a practice. It puts things in perspective.

From the clips I just watched that had every rep, I'd say Petras is clearly the #1 guy. He definitely has the arm talent to drive the ball but also some good touch, but what puts him ahead of Padilla to me is how much quicker and more decisive in his reads he is. Padilla on the other hand is a bit slower, and has a tendency to get happy feet, even in a clean pocket.

Hogan and Labas were as you'd expect a RS FR and a TR FR to look.

From the clips I just watched that had every rep, I'd say Petras is clearly the #1 guy. He definitely has the arm talent to drive the ball but also some good touch, but what puts him ahead of Padilla to me is how much quicker and more decisive in his reads he is. Padilla on the other hand is a bit slower, and has a tendency to get happy feet, even in a clean pocket.

Were you there?

I was not, as I said. But the clips I saw were a good angle and showed every single rep.

Did they show the drills? Padilla was more consistently on target, especially on out routes. I acknowledged SP has a bigger arm. He has a bigger arm than most college QBs. That has never been an issue

I was there, and I agree with this assessment almost entirely. Only disagreement would be that I felt Petras still held onto the ball too long at times.

Re: Padilla, I'll start with two huge caveats. One, he was mostly playing behind the 2nd OL unit, and two, touch sacks do not necessarily translate to actual sacks in live action. Having said that, I completely agree that Padilla had happy feet and was indecisive in the pocket. I felt he also held onto the ball too long in coverage sack situations (an issue across all QB's) and his legs rarely escaped (touch) sacks to extend the play. His arm strength, touch, and accuracy are not at Petras' level. He did not look comfortable out there, and based on today's performance (all we have at this point), I would be concerned with him as our starting QB.

Did they show the drills? Padilla was more consistently on target, especially on out routes. I acknowledged SP has a bigger arm. He has a bigger arm than most college QBs. That has never been an issue
Did they run ST action? If so, who was handling punts besides Jones... and how did the PK look?

Yep. They showed everything. I do think that Padilla was more comfortable in the drills, but I don't agree that he looked better than Petras.

Did they run ST action? If so, who was handling punts besides Jones... and how did the PK look?

Each kicker got three tries. Shudak made his first long attempt; was wide on the other. The other kicker missed both of his from 40+.
There were no punt returns. Only punting from the 40 for precision.

Reactions: nu2u
Were you there?
You are literally the only person that thinks Padilla looked better than Petras today. Padilla threw 3 picks and struggled a lot today had a couple nice down field throws but Petras was clearly the better qb today. It is his job. Period.

I’ll take reps in game situations over drills any day. And anyone else will too lol

You are literally the only person that thinks Padilla looked better than Petras today. Padilla threw 3 picks and struggled a lot today had a couple nice down field throws but Petras was clearly the better qb today. It is his job. Period.

I’ll take reps in game situations over drills any day. And anyone else will too lol
Was there. It was only one practice, but Petras was decisively better today. Again, we see one practice out of 9 or 10 or whatever they have had today. If Petras is improved, the rest of the offense has better than usual skill position talent for Iowa under KF. Goodson, IKM and L. Williams can all run. Laporta is a good TE. Tracy and Ragaini are good WR's, Bruce and Johnson look way better than most true freshmen Iowa gets at the position.

It appears as if they are taking a real long look at Richman at LT. Jacobs also moves very well in space. He will play, either in rotation or earn a starting spot.

If they put a QB who can't or won't move back there, it is going to be a rough season. Tackle is a serious concern. Richman is close but not there yet. The right side is a major concern.

Bruce and Johnson look way better than most true freshmen Iowa gets at the position.

It appears as if they are taking a real long look at Richman at LT. Jacobs also moves very well in space. He will play, either in rotation or earn a starting spot.
I never got a good look at Johnson in live action, but I was quite impressed w/Bruce for being a TR freshman.

I wasn't able to focus on the OL/DL in run situations, but I thought Richman held up pretty well in pass protection. I remember him giving up inside pressure once down near the goal line. Overall, looked like he belonged out there.

If they put a QB who can't or won't move back there, it is going to be a rough season. Tackle is a serious concern. Richman is close but not there yet. The right side is a major concern.

I agree that RT is a pretty big weak spot right now.
Even more worrisome is the general verdict that this O comprehensively beat the D (ranked #1 by espn according to a different thread) for the first time ever. Perhaps unfair but isn't that the biggest takeaway from today?

Even more worrisome is the general verdict that this O comprehensively beat the D (ranked #1 by espn according to a different thread) for the first time ever. Perhaps unfair but isn't that the biggest takeaway from today?

Can you name the starting D line?

Going off memory, Petras had 1 really nice long throw to Bruce, Padilla had 2 long throws (one was after a touch sack). Petras hit Goodson on a great wheel route for a long gain. All other big plays were runs and many of those were due to the RB making something happen, not the OL dominating up front.

Reactions: desihawk
OL observations:

OL coach indicated he was rotating OL between 1st and 2nd team. Not sure if it was Richmans day or if he is truly ahead now.
based on some comments. We may see Plumb or Richman move to right side. Of course it was just one practice and they will probably continue rotating for another week to ten days.

Reactions: StallmanCurse

if our defense is that good (it probably isn’t but it’s still a Phil Parker defense) than wouldn’t this offensive performance, with a statue QB and no RT, be a really good thing?

IMO the biggest concern this year,as it often is, is OLine play. Our defense will be solid, Petras should make strides in his second full year and we have really good skill positions. Having a major injury right out of the chute is a bad omen.

You guys do realize this wasn't a true game environment, right? Not being able to hit the QB changes everything. Defensive schemes were very vanilla, as were the offensive plays. It was an exhibition, nothing more.

I'm hearing about Miamen coming on strong this camp from my Hawkeye friend in Cedar Rapids. We need a 2nd TE to emerge as a threat IMO. Coaches talked up Lachey this Spring. Will be interesting to see what shakes out with a few key positions when the game week depth chart is released.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT