ADVERTISEMENT

Dochterman says that once a couple QBs hit the Portal Iowa will be all over them (Brendan Sullivan visiting May 7)

One who wants to play in and possibly win important games. Did you notice how many people were drafted off the teams who made the final 4 in the playoffs??
I get the vibe that through forced change and not of his own volition that Kirk finally acknowledges that we have to also field a competitive unit on the offensive side of the ball for the program to go any further. If Tim Lester liked Sullivan enough to recruit him the first time around I see Sullivan as a win win for both parties.

There has never been an Iowa QB under Ferentz to my knowledge that has had a career percentage over 62% and only a couple that have hit 60. I would absolutely be happy with that as a backup or a starter for that matter. I don't know how much of that had to do with the offense that Northwestern ran, but it would have to be light years better than what we have seen at Iowa over the past 4 years or so. Would a QB with any decent options come to Iowa unless he's being told that there will be an open competition for the starting spot? I would think not.
There have been a few seasons over 60%, Tate in 2004 and 2005. Stanzi in 2010 and CJ in 2015. That's as close as it comes.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
He threw for 81 yards against us, didn't really light it up. But I would be happy to have him join the Hawkeyes
I am not saying he tore us up. I am saying his experience is not just in mop up duty or against non conference teams. He did not have an int either. Plus that field was horrible, almost impossible to make cuts as a wr or rb, so that did not help either teams numbers. In the end he did better then Hill and I would say our defense was better then theirs. Plus as was said he can move around a little. I am not a huge fan of qb's taking off, but man when there is an easy 5 you have to take it, because if you don't take it when it is wide open for the taking, other teams defense's have zero fear you ever will and so they do not account for that at all.

I am not saying he tore us up. I am saying his experience is not just in mop up duty or against non conference teams. He did not have an int either. Plus that field was horrible, almost impossible to make cuts as a wr or rb, so that did not help either teams numbers. In the end he did better then Hill and I would say our defense was better then theirs. Plus as was said he can move around a little. I am not a huge fan of qb's taking off, but man when there is an easy 5 you have to take it, because if you don't take it when it is wide open for the taking, other teams defense's have zero fear you ever will and so they do not account for that at all.
Yeah. I don't use games against Iowa's defense to measure a QB. Every game against Iowa looks worse than it does against pretty much everybody else. JJ McCarthy doesn't get drafted in the first round with a passer rating of 114 and a QBR of 70 like he had against Iowa in the championship game. HIs passer rating overall last year was 170 with QBR of 89. Night and day.

The same level of stubbornness that's kept Iowa consistently successful for over two decades? They should try more of that
I’m a Ferentz guy. They have been very good, and Iowa is lucky to have him. I’ll cry when the guy retires.

He is very stubborn. It’s okay to admit the guy isn’t perfect.

Yeah. I don't use games against Iowa's defense to measure a QB. Every game against Iowa looks worse than it does against pretty much everybody else. JJ McCarthy doesn't get drafted in the first round with a passer rating of 114 and a QBR of 70 like he had against Iowa in the championship game. HIs passer rating overall last year was 170 with QBR of 89. Night and day.
I agree, but also at the same time it shows what a qb is made of when facing top level defenses. I do not think he did all that bad considering his experience level. He was fairly composed against a pretty good Hawk defense. THIS does not mean I am saying we should go after him over Booty, I have not seen one play Booty has made, so I do not have an opinion. I am just saying I can understand the interest in Sullivan, I mean both of them have to understand that coming to Iowa is a step up. Not that we have done well (mostly on the offense) but we have made it to some bigger games in recent years and neither of them has any experience on the bigger stages.

I’m a Ferentz guy. They have been very good, and Iowa is lucky to have him. I’ll cry when the guy retires.

He is very stubborn. It’s okay to admit the guy isn’t perfect.
Of course he isn't perfect.

It's also ok to realize that KF's stubbornness has been a blessing

Sullivan completed 69% of his passes in his 2 years at NW, so I will stand by saying that is not meaningless experience. Particularly when you frame it as looking for a backup, not a starter. When is the last time an Iowa starting QB has had that high of a percentage? Would you be OK with someone that would probably be labeled as a "game manager", but could complete 7 out of 10 of those short passes in Lester's offense, compared to what we have dealt with over the last few years?
I would say if Iowa had qbs completing 70% of their passes that last 3 years there would be a good chance of the hawks having some championship hardware in the trophy case

I agree.

And it’s okay to admit one of his greatest attributes is his greatness weakness.

Iowa has missed some golden opportunities because of it.
Yes, everyone's strength in personality is also their weakness.

Overall, who KF is as a person, including his stubbornness has been a very good thing for Iowa football for a very long time.

Any golden opportunities that were missed out on were because of the positive position that KF has put the program in

Reactions: Torg
Yes, everyone's strength in personality is also their weakness.

Overall, who KF is as a person, including his stubbornness has been a very good thing for Iowa football for a very long time.

Any golden opportunities that were missed out on were because of the positive position that KF has put the program in

3 x 6 = 18

(eyesofhawk disputes the font used in the math equation)

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I'm not disputing anything.

The facts are that KF is who he is, that Iowa football is reflective of who KF is, and that KF has been very good for Iowa football for a very long time.

What are people saying here? That they want KF fired? I don't get it.

If someone is going to focus on KF's stubbornness as a weakness, a true examination reveals his stubbornness to have overall been a huge strength. But nobody wants to talk about that.

Again, the golden opportunities that have been missed out on because of KF's stubbornness would have never even become available if not for the strong position that KF's stubbornness has put the program in.

A similar parallel would be the success of last season's team. People want to minimize the success of the season by citing the Michigan and Tennessee games. But Iowa had to achieve high success to even have the opportunity to play those games

I'd be mad but you reap what you sow. Hard to blame QBs or WRs for not taking Iowa seriously when the head guy hasn't taken that side of the ball seriously for years.

Anointing Cade #1 is more doubling down insanity from the head guy. The AD cut the tail of the snake.

It won't change until he loses games. And it's going to happen sooner rather than later.

I think what is hard for Iowa is they are put in a lose lose situation. What I mean is coaches and fans both love the fact that we play hard nosed ball. We love the fact that nothing is given and must be earned. After all that is the American way. Did you see where Castro said he was embarrassed about how he grew up???? Yet we on this board have said what a great Hawk he is. Because he earned it. On the other hand, now that we are basically paying players, we as fans and a school would like to say, we are not paying hardly anything until you do something. Prove yourself worthy. Where as some schools (someone mentioned OSU's QB payouts), have no problem with paying for something that is not battle tested at all. So that puts us in-between kind of a rock and a hard spot in our thought process and how we would like to think we are built. As fans maybe not so much, because we always know exactly what needs to be done (right). But as coaches, yeah I can see the conundrum. So I can see where certain traits of a coach may be read one way,........or another. Same as anything I suppose. Is it a win win or a lose lose??? Maybe it is a you win some, you lose some, the highs are never as high as you think and the lows are never as low as you think. Celebrate or feel bad, but only for so long and then it is time to get back to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyesofhawk
I'm not disputing anything.

The facts are that KF is who he is, that Iowa football is reflective of who KF is, and that KF has been very good for Iowa football for a very long time.

What are people saying here? That they want KF fired? I don't get it.

If someone is going to focus on KF's stubbornness as a weakness, a true examination reveals his stubbornness to have overall been a huge strength. But nobody wants to talk about that.

Again, the golden opportunities that have been missed out on because of KF's stubbornness would have never even become available if not for the strong position that KF's stubbornness has put the program in.

A similar parallel would be the success of last season's team. People want to minimize the success of the season by citing the Michigan and Tennessee games. But Iowa had to achieve high success to even have the opportunity to play those games
You’re a classic contrarian who can’t even agree with someone that agrees with you.

You would see a naked picture of the most beautiful woman in the world, and say her nipples aren’t perfectly symmetrical. Then tell somebody how they can’t see true beauty when they criticize Gargamel’s appearance.

Are you Da Coach reincarnated? This was his shtick.

You’re a classic contrarian who can’t even agree with someone that agrees with you.

You would see a naked picture of the most beautiful woman in the world, and say her nipples aren’t perfectly symmetrical. Then tell somebody how they can’t see true beauty when they criticize Gargamel’s appearance.

Are you Da Coach reincarnated? This was his shtick.
I recognize that we agree. It's just that if missed opportunities are going to be brought up, I'm going to respond by bringing up successes.

If KF's stubbornness is the topic of conversation, the only conclusion that can be made is that, overall, it has been a very positive attribute for Iowa football

Sullivan is mobile too , no Mike Vick but if a play breaks down He can move the chains and He has faced B1G defenses and put up a 136.6 QBR , He comes and I cannot see Him not being given a fair shot at QB1 , if Cade beats Him out ok, that is a darn good #2
Not a 136 QBR. You're talking about Passer Rating. Still much better than Iowa's QB's of late.

The Booty's, mom, dad and sis....

General-Bootys-Parents-And-Sister-Avery-e1693290859291.jpg
Wowsa.. I bet they've NEVER heard the "booty call" jokes...🥹

is it possible that lester is actually looking for a #1 qb (ie not a backup) even though he’s constrained to make it appear like we are looking to bring in a #3? that would fit the current proceedings where we seem to be overlooking guys like sullivan.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
A point of clarification for anyone who wants it. Petras did not have to take a medical retirement/disqualification. He could have stayed on a normal scholarship last year while recovering and still be eligible to play for Iowa this coming year.

Just pointing out the route Petras and Iowa took was not the only one available.
Which has nothing to do with the people still posting that Iowa COULD have brought him back late last season OR have kept him in reserve this season, because they could not have......Also not knowing where Iowa was on the 85 rides count last season, may have led to him and Iowa making that decision, because at that point he no longer counted against the 85.....

Sullivan was far from great, but he does have a fair amount of BIG experience. That's worth something.
Not by itself. You could say the same about Deac, and thats worth bubkas. And thats no knock on Sullivans play, just a point in fact.....

is it possible that lester is actually looking for a #1 qb (ie not a backup) even though he’s constrained to make it appear like we are looking to bring in a #3? that would fit the current proceedings where we seem to be overlooking guys like sullivan.
I would bet a significant amount he is more than happy with the idea of McNamara as his QB #1.

Of course if they can find someone good enough to compete with him, by all means.

Reactions: desihawk
appears to be some smoke here....we'll see

I read that Sullivan was in for a visit this weekend. I know something about it came up on my YouTube feed.

At this stage of the portal season, getting him onboard would be a huge boost to the quarterback room given all the uncertainty going into this season.

Like others, I have little faith in McNamara’s health and it’s painstakingly obvious Lainez isn’t ready. Frankly, if they could get both Booty and Sullivan, that wouldn’t be a bad thing. I know there’s a scholarship issue right now, and that Poholsky was a walk-on, but they’ve lost three quarterbacks over the last six months with no replacements to this point.

At worst, they need one more who’s ready to play now. Someone who could put up average stats would make it seem like the Hawkeyes got Patrick Mahomes in the offseason. Beggars can’t be choosers.

NW fans seem to think Sullivan is a MAC-level QB and are fine with him moving on.
Familiarity breeds contempt syndrome that infuses our fan base also.
Personally, I thought he looked decent when I saw him last season.
Admittedly my perceptions were shaped by contrasting deacon Hill with other QBs like Sullivan.
If they could move enough to escape pressure they looked better than our guy.

I just h o PE we land someone to avoid a crisis if injury bug hits us hard. Do not want a rb or te playing QB.

NW fans seem to think Sullivan is a MAC-level QB and are fine with him moving on.
Admittedly my perceptions were shaped by contrasting deacon Hill with other QBs like Sullivan.

I just h o PE we land someone to avoid a crisis if injury bug hits us hard. Do not want a rb or te playing QB.
Pretty much this.

If McNamara does go down, Sullivan appears to be a guy who is more than capable of doing enough to win games coupled with Iowa’s defense.

Not by itself. You could say the same about Deac, and thats worth bubkas. And thats no knock on Sullivans play, just a point in fact.....
Obviously not by itself. But earlier thread responses point out that Sullivan's experience was not bad, which is light years ahead of Hill. Also mentioned before, it is probable that Sullivan's mentoring/coaching at NW was better than what Hill got from BF and Budmayr.

MAC-level QBs would be better than anything we've had in the past three seasons.

Pretty much this.

If McNamara does go down, Sullivan appears to be a guy who is more than capable of doing enough to win games coupled with Iowa’s defense.
Lester said the top thing he looks for in a quarterback is efficiency. Sullivan seems like a kid who could bring that. His numbers at NW weren't necessarily eye-popping, but they were efficient.

Pretty much this.

Obviously not by itself. But earlier thread responses point out that Sullivan's experience was not bad, which is light years ahead of Hill. Also mentioned before, it is probable that Sullivan's mentoring/coaching at NW was better than what Hill got from BF and Budmayr.
MAC-level QBs would be better than anything we've had in the past three seasons.
This should be the attitude from fans. There was no way Iowa was going to bring in a QB that was going to make a splash in the headlines. But, we REALLY need someone who can play this fall if and when CM does down (or is just plain ineffective; can't completely dismiss this possibility), and although ML MIGHT be an upgrade compared to DH, someone like Sullivan would be a MAJOR upgrade, and I would consider him to be about as good as we could expect to get from the portal (now that Evers and Schlee are off the board).

This should be the attitude from fans. There was no way Iowa was going to bring in a QB that was going to make a splash in the headlines. But, we REALLY need someone who can play this fall if and when CM does down (or is just plain ineffective; can't completely dismiss this possibility), and although ML MIGHT be an upgrade compared to DH, someone like Sullivan would be a MAJOR upgrade, and I would consider him to be about as good as we could expect to get from the portal (now that Evers and Schlee are off the board).
If Cade were replaced for ineffective play, then that would definitely signal a changing of the guard on the offensive side of the ball.

I'm a Northwestern fan who thinks Sully showed improvement each season over the last and I'm sad to see him leave. I think he's the best QB the 'Cats had on the roster during spring and there has been scant public news about a QB from the Portal. I think running him off was a terrible idea.

The posters who seem fine with him moving on are largely the "premium board" posters who like to claim that they have secrets on the circle-jerk premium board. I don't know what inside info they actually have, but some of those posters are saying with a straight face that Jack Lausch jumped Sully during spring, but having seen them both in action last season, I just have to put trust in my lying eyes. The only way that Lausch could jump Sully is if the new OC is overly enamored with the idea of a running QB, and even there, Lausch didn't have much success outside of the UTEP game. The premium board club does suffer from groupthink, though (they're paying good money for those opinions).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT