ADVERTISEMENT

Kinnick night games

Aug 15, 2011
I was trying to find some history about Kinnick night games, was just curious of the overall success Iowa has had in such games. Obviously the Michigan game stands out, but it's pretty well regarded as one of the toughest night environment in the conference. It's probably top 3 from my personal experience.

I came across something that said Kinnick didn't have permanent lights until 2015, is that accurate? I went to the 2010 Penn State game and it was played under the lights. Those light stands looked pretty damn significantly then, donno how much more "permanent" they could be now.

Also, anyone have a stat for Iowa's night game recovery at home? Gotta be a pretty high winning %

Thanks doods

I was trying to find some history about Kinnick night games, was just curious of the overall success Iowa has had in such games. Obviously the Michigan game stands out, but it's pretty well regarded as one of the toughest night environment in the conference. It's probably top 3 from my personal experience.

I came across something that said Kinnick didn't have permanent lights until 2015, is that accurate? I went to the 2010 Penn State game and it was played under the lights. Those light stands looked pretty damn significantly then, donno how much more "permanent" they could be now.

Also, anyone have a stat for Iowa's night game recovery at home? Gotta be a pretty high winning %

Thanks doods
Iowa had only lost 2 night games 07 Ohio state and 12 penn state..

Reactions: NittanyLogan'11

Interesting. Obviously a smart investment by the university, will save you guys a ton of money in the long run.

I'm hoping that we will be able to sell out- which is insane to me. 5000 tickets were left last week. My buddy was able to get 3 together today!

Why is that insane? Two 3-0 teams in prime time, I'd be surprised if it didn't sell out. Especially considering the what happened last year against Mich.

Reactions: jagerhawk
HAWKEYES AT NIGHT
Iowa has hosted 14 night games in Kinnick Stadium's history, holding a 10-4 record in those contests. The Hawkeyes have won four straight night games in Kinnick Stadium, including two games in both 2015 and 2016.

THE SERIES
Saturday will be the 27th meeting between Iowa and Penn State, and the first meeting in Iowa City since 2012. The Nittany Lions have won the last three meetings and hold a 14-12 advantage in the series.
  • Prior to the Hawkeyes' loss at #12 Penn State last year, Iowa had won four straight meetings when Penn State entered the game ranked (2010, 24-3 vs. #22 PSU; 2009, 21-10 at #5 PSU; 2008, 24-23 vs. #3 PSU; 2002, 42-35 OT at #12 PSU). Iowa is 6-12 all-time when playing a ranked Penn State team. The Hawkeyes are 1-1 when playing the Nittany Lions under the lights at Kinnick Stadium (W, 24-3 in 2010; L, 38-14 in 2012).
  • The Hawkeyes have won six of the last 10 and hold a 9-8 advantage since 1993 when the Nittany Lions joined the Big Ten Conference. Iowa is 5-8 in games played in Iowa City.
  • The teams first met Nov. 15, 1930, with Iowa winning 19-0 in Iowa City. PSU won five in a row, as Iowa didn't defeat PSU again until 1976.
  • Both teams have had a five-game winning streak in the series. Penn State won each game played between 1971 and 1975. Iowa's longest streak in the series began with a double-overtime win in 2000 and included wins from 2000-04. The teams did not meet in 2005 and 2006.
  • The teams have played two overtime games, both at Penn State. Iowa won in two overtimes in 2000 (26-23) and in single overtime in 2002 (42-35).

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/news/2017/9/18/football-game-notes-iowa-vs-penn-state.aspx

Under Ferentz, Hawks are 8-2 in true night games at Kinnick. 10-3 if you count games that kicked off at 5 or 5:15pm. They are 3-6 (4-6 if you count 5pm kick @ ISU in 2013) in true night games away from home in that same span.

Why is that insane? Two 3-0 teams in prime time, I'd be surprised if it didn't sell out. Especially considering the what happened last year against Mich.

I think he was saying it was insane that he has to "hope" for a sellout. This game should be a sellout, and disappointing that tickets are still available.

Projected to be a hot day, and still 83 degrees at 7pm.

Interesting. Obviously a smart investment by the university, will save you guys a ton of money in the long run.

I think he was saying it was insane that he has to "hope" for a sellout. This game should be a sellout, and disappointing that tickets are still available.

Projected to be a hot day, and still 83 degrees at 7pm.

This is what I was meaning. We shouldn't have this manu tickets left. Usually these games are sold out by now.

• The Hawkeyes have won six of the last 10 and hold a 9-8 advantage since 1993 when the Nittany Lions joined the Big Ten Conference. Iowa is 5-8 in games played in Iowa City.
How can this statement possibly be accurate? If Iowa is 5-8 at home during this stretch, than Iowa would have to be 4-0 @ Happy Valley during the same period. We lost @ Happy Valley last season, so something with this statement has to be wrong.

Reactions: Kinnick 4 Prez
How can this statement possibly be accurate? If Iowa is 5-8 at home during this stretch, than Iowa would have to be 4-0 @ Happy Valley during the same period. We lost @ Happy Valley last season, so something with this statement has to be wrong.

The way it is written is confusing. Iowa is 5-8 all time against Penn State in games played in Iowa City. Since 1993, Iowa is 4-4 against Penn State in Iowa City.

Reactions: Kinnick 4 Prez
I think they meant all time. I had to read that twice as well.

It's hard to keep it straight, since quite a few games end under the lights but aren't considered true night games. Especially late in the year.

Before adding lights to the stadium, Musco out of Oskaloosa brought in poratable lights and they worked very well, I believe this was started in the Haden era. Is this correct?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musco_Lighting

Originated in Muscatine, now HQ in Oskaloosa.

Musco Lighting is a privately owned, American company that specializes in the design and manufacture of sports and large area lighting solutions around the world. Based out of Oskaloosa, Iowa, Musco has been the industry leader for the past 40 years, lighting a myriad of Olympic Games, Super Bowls, and other major sporting events.

Since its beginning, Musco has pioneered systems that have made dramatic improvements in energy efficiency and provided affordable ways to control spill light and glare. Musco is responsible for lighting a full range of sports facilities, from Daytona International Speedway[1] and Emirates Stadium,[2] to thousands of Little League[3] fields around the world. In addition to lighting both Mount Rushmore National Memorial and the Statue of Liberty, it also provides lighting systems for large industrial areas, such as DP World Jebel Ali Port Terminal 1 and Georgia Ports Authority's Garden City Terminal.[4] Musco has also won an Academy Award[5] and an Emmy Award.[6]

Seems most Big top 5/10 night game wins under KF occur in the month of Nov. developmental programs need more time to develop. Sadly I think PSU rolls on Sat. Iowa just seems so green and inexperienced currently. Let's hope I'm wrong!

Hmm. My previous online search pulled up a gmap with a pin on Muscatine. Didn't look any deeper than that. Curious why they'd go to Osky. If you're going to relocate corporate, wouldn't QC or CR make more sense? Anyway, that's getting off track.

Hmm. My previous online search pulled up a gmap with a pin on Muscatine. Didn't look any deeper than that. Curious why they'd go to Osky. If you're going to relocate corporate, wouldn't QC or CR make more sense? Anyway, that's getting off track.

The owners are from Osky.

Correct. 24-7 loss in 1992 to the #1 Canes.

Was a freshman at UI. Even though the result sucked, the whole week and atmosphere at kinnick was awesome. Even though there have bigger and better night games, that first one will always be my most memorable.

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
Farmers vs. Felons

Wow! We were actually ranked #16 for that game?

Iowa will NEVER have a non-conference schedule like that '92 team again (N.C. State - Kickoff Classic, Iowa St, Miami (FL), @ Colorado). Previous 2 national (co)champs. Would almost be like having 'Bama and Clemson on the schedule this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT