ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk gives Update on Offensive Coordinator Search. Plans to have OC in place 2nd or 3rd wk of January. Leistikow: Chryst has Best Odds at getting Job

1.Better Playcaller than Brian Ferentz
2.Better scheme overall
3.Less predictability based off formation
4.Do a better job of getting playmakers ball in space
5.Use TE's more to chip NFL caliber DEnds
6.Less complex terminology so the best talent can play regardless of age
7. When the Oline is leaky use more blockers and send out 2-3 routes instead of 5.
8. Better adjustments after initial scripted plays to start the game.
9. Better use of running out of gun and 11 personnel to empty the box.
10. Updated passing concepts
11. When 2 NFL TE's get hurt maybe don't be so married to so many 2 TE sets.
12. Be better
I’d say this is a pretty good list to start with lol

Reactions: ButtersHawk
Could not wait for the Badgers to come to town if that is the case with Chryst calling the offense. So far I can't hate Luke, but just the years of frustration against those guys still painful memz.

And Paul would get a lot of satisfaction putting up some points against Wisconsin's D

Chad Leistikow of the Des Moines Register reported in his column today that Chryst remains in the mix, as does former Iowa offensive line coach Joe Philbin and at least one yet-to-be-identified (publicly, anyway) candidate.

No offensive coordinator hire until … mid-January?

That is the latest timetable that Kirk Ferentz referenced in 10 minutes with reporters after Thursday’s practice.

“Obviously, it's tabled right now. The focus is right on this game,” he said. “We hope to have a clearer idea the first two, three weeks of January. I’d like to think by the third week of January we’ve got it done. I feel really optimistic right now we’ll end up with a really good person.”

There was a report Wednesday night from a Wisconsin fan site that former Badgers head coach Paul Chryst was no longer in the running for the OC position at Iowa. That report was inaccurate, per a source with knowledge of the situation. Chryst remains in the mix, as does former Iowa offensive line coach Joe Philbin and at least one yet-to-be-identified (publicly, anyway) candidate.

A delay until the third week of January just means Ferentz wants to get the hire right, even if that is detrimental to his current or possible incoming roster. The Hawkeyes’ personnel priority remains on trying to retain several players with NFL decisions to make, with most of those on defense. That approach is a good one, especially with linebacker Jay Higgins getting things off to a good start by announcing his return Tuesday.

Forward pass?
Do you watch the games? There are also box scores that prove Iowa throws the ball quite a bit.

In fact, Iowa throws it far too much for my liking. Especially with a backup QB.

Another way to show that the complaining about the offense is way over the top is fans lack of knowing what they are even complaining about

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkeyebob62
I'm sure the U of I really wants to leak information, create speculation on this board, and subsequently create further arguments when everyone's favorite candidate isn't hired. I'm all for good banter, but complaining and arguing over speculation just doesn't seem like a good use of time.

If that's the way it looks to you then your reading comprehension is awful.

You also quite liberally puts words into the mouths of others. You said that I said, "a better offense would lead to less wins." That's nothing close to saying, "it isn't necessarily fact that a better offense would have lead to a better record."

To say that a better offense would have lead to a better record is a hypothetical. It isn't the reality of what actually happened, which again, is something very praiseworthy. To say if X, then Y, is a hypothetical. I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

And by nature of this narrative being a hypothetical, it isn't that important. What actually did happen is important and deserves praise and support. This hypothetical narrative gets in the way of the team receiving the praise and support that it deserves.

And you are again declining to offer how you would go about achieving a better offense for Iowa. This also detracts from the importance of the hypothetical narrative
I have no problem with reading comprehension. You spend a lot of effort saying you don't accept the fact that a better offense would lead to more wins, along with so-called "hypotheticals" that are unlikely to occur. Since you don't think a better offense will lead to more wins, then that must mean you think a better offense will lead to less wins.

Even though you have claimed to be unhappy with the offense in the past, you sure spend a lot of time supporting and making excuses for it!

As for "what I would do" to make the offense better.....that is a ridiculous (and typical) deflection. I'm not an offensive coordinator. But apparently neither is Brian. There are about 130 other teams that have managed to put a better offense on the field than Iowa, so it can't really be that hard for the Hawks to improve.

But if you insist on an answer.....how about less predictable play calling, blockers who can block, receivers who can catch, and a quarterback who is mobile, can complete passes, and who can read thru his progressions? Easier said than done you say? Well....there are dozens of other teams that are able to do those things better. Why not Iowa?

And I am not saying Iowa needs to throw the ball all over the field. The scheme Kirk wants to run is fine.

Reactions: dadster
Do you watch the games? There are also box scores that prove Iowa throws the ball quite a bit.

In fact, Iowa throws it far too much for my liking. Especially with a backup QB.

Another way to show that the complaining about the offense is way over the top is fans lack of knowing what they are even complaining about

Do YOU watch the games?
There are NO box scores that prove Iowa throws the ball quite a bit.
In fact, the stats completely contradict your statement.

Iowa was 127th out of 130 in passing yardage.
Iowa was 129th out of 130 in passing efficiency.
Source: https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

The only thing true in your statement is the comment about 'fans lack of knowing'.
You do realize that fan is you?

I have no problem with reading comprehension. You spend a lot of effort saying you don't accept the fact that a better offense would lead to more wins, along with so-called "hypotheticals" that are unlikely to occur. Since you don't think a better offense will lead to more wins, then that must mean you think a better offense will lead to less wins.

Even though you have claimed to be unhappy with the offense in the past, you sure spend a lot of time supporting and making excuses for it!

As for "what I would do" to make the offense better.....that is a ridiculous (and typical) deflection. I'm not an offensive coordinator. But apparently neither is Brian. There are about 130 other teams that have managed to put a better offense on the field than Iowa, so it can't really be that hard for the Hawks to improve.

But if you insist on an answer.....how about less predictable play calling, blockers who can block, receivers who can catch, and a quarterback who is mobile, can complete passes, and who can read thru his progressions? Easier said than done you say? Well....there are dozens of other teams that are able to do those things better. Why not Iowa?

And I am not saying Iowa needs to throw the ball all over the field. The scheme Kirk wants to run is fine.
You are either a raging idiot or a gigantic dick because this isn't the first time you've done this to posters on the site.

I'm a generous person, so I'll spell this out one more time. Feel free to disagree all you want. But I don't appreciate words being put into my mouth, so if that is your intention don't bother responding.

Many fans are perpetuating a narrative that if X (Iowa had a better offense the past couple seasons), then Y (they would have had a better record in those seasons). To say if X, then Y is called a hypothetical statement.

I point out that the narrative is a hypothetical statement because by nature, hypothetical statements are only so important.

Why is this narrative being discussed on a daily basis rather than all the praiseworthy elements of what did actually happen? Iowa won 10 games. They won 7 games with a backup QB. I happen to believe that that situation was self- inflicted, as the staff should have never played Cade while he was hurt to start the season. But nonetheless, how the team responded and won 7 games with a backup QB was tremendous. How they responded to losing other key players was tremendous. How they responded to tough circumstances like the Minnesota officiating, and announcement of the release of Brian was tremendous. This team has major balls. They consistently made winning plays in key moments. Some of this shit was literally hair-raising. The togetherness and the fight of this team has been absolutely phenomenal. Time and time again these guys have had each other's backs. Some of what lead to the bad offense was also self-inflicted. But nonetheless, the ability to navigate the bad offense as a team in a way that produced wins was phenomenal. I could go on and on. In the end, this is one of Iowa's most winning teams of all time. And it's bullshit that people would rather find something to complain about than celebrate this team.

To help clarify, and I know I've stated this before in one of these threads, I obviously believe it to be most likely that a better offense would have produced more total wins. I just don't believe the hypothetical narrative to be the fact that many are imposing. I've illuminated a couple of ways in which the hypothetical might not play out as has been proposed. This has also been for the purpose of showing how the narrative isn't as important as fans make it out to be. Not only is this narrative a hypothetical, but the hypothetical might not even play out to be true in all cases. So why stay stuck on it?

I don't support the crappy offense. I just don't think it's as big of a deal as fans are making it. And I understand what has contributed to the downtick in offense the past couple years and understand that much of it is something that can and probably will be grown out of. Call it excuses or whatever you want. I call it a perspective that can keep one from feeling the need to complain about the offense on a daily basis.

The reason I ask what exactly you would do to improve the offense isn't a "deflection". And I don't "typically" deflect, so you need to accuse me of that again. I have no problem taking any of this head on.

The reason I ask what your fixes for the offense are is because many fans give answers to this that could compromise the defense. If someone has a complaint, but their only way to address the complaint is to potentially compromise the defense (ie: use a spread offense), then it isn't really a valid complaint because potentially compromising the defense is a terrible idea.

As it is, most of your suggestions don't necessarily compromise the D.
1. Less predictable play calling- Brian will be gone so it isn't something fans need to complain about anymore, right?
2. Blockers who can block- This is a great point and the most important point. It also gives me opportunity to point out how the negativity of the fans because of the offense has been over the top. The O-line has improved some this season. But last season it was certainly the main reason for Iowa's struggles on offense. It's very easy to understand, yet somehow fans struggle to understand that everything in football is won up-front. If you have a bad O-line, you can't really have much of an offense. And it was very easy to see why Iowa didn't have a good O-line. Significant unexpected attrition to highly rated upperclassmen in the O-line left Iowa having to play some underdeveloped lineman. Iowa losing its strength coach at the same time that younger players were losing developmental workouts due to Covid pronounced the underdevelopment of the lineman that were forced into action. This was all very clear to knowledgeable fans. It was a situation where Iowa fans should have expected a bumpy ride as it was clear that it would take some time for the line to develop. It was a situation where fans should have been ecstatic to have gotten to that level of bowl game.
3. Receivers that can catch- well usually receivers can catch so I have to think this year was an outlier. Trying to develop a rythm with the backup QB was part of it. That fact that Hill doesn't throw a very catchable ball was part of it. And I think extra pressure to get the offense going, and the pressure from being in so many tight situations was part of it. Also the lack of rythm from simply the offense being broken was part of it. I think we can expect a higher percentage of balls to be caught in the future. One question I do have is if doing what it takes to bring better recruits in at receiver would compromise the D. Kirk has said throwing the ball around makes it harder for the D. So having a more receiver happy offense for the purpose of attracting better players at the position is not an option. Also, we don't know how the staff allots their recruiting resources. If there is ever a choice that has to be made between pursuing a receiver and pursuing a defensive player, the resources need to be allotted to the defensive player.
4. A mobile Qb- I agree with this completely. I think it's an absolute must in this day and age. Hopefully KF has figured this out. Lainez, Resar, and the latest recruit (can't recall his name-Simmons?) would suggest that he has. Although Hill being on the roster raises doubt. Hopefully it was just a situation where KF knew Labas was smoking pot and felt he had to add depth at QB regardless of Hill's immobility.
5. A QB who can compete passes and
6. A QB who can read through his progressions- obviously coaches everywhere are recruiting QB's who they feel can do these things. Obviously Iowa had some trouble in the passing game this year. Also, obviously a lot of that was to be expected with a backup QB trying to gain a rythm with backups to his best weapons and a below average O-line. Again, to win 10 games with that aggregate dynamic was damn impressive and should definitely be the main story rather than the bad offense.

My point all along has not been that Iowa's offense isn't terrible. But rather that it isn't as big a deal as fans are making it. Same with the narrative that a better offense would have produced more wins. Not that important overall. What is important is everything that should be being celebrated.

Also, we have the same fans saying that Iowa would have beat Michigan with a decent offense that claim Iowa has no shot vs a shell of a Tennessee team. Obviously the variable is a decent offense for Iowa. But that's a gigantic difference in expectation. Fans don't want to hear this, but when you have a defense and a punter as good as Iowa's, offense just isn't as important as they make it out to be.

Again, flip Iowa's situation around. Give them one of the best offenses in the country and one of the worst defenses in the country and have them go 10-3. There would be no deafening negativity in the fan base, period. For fans to give a winning team such a hard time because they aren't entertained is wrong. For one thing, it's just their opinion. I, for one, am thoroughly entertained by Iowa football

Last edited:
Reactions: IAHUNTER
Do YOU watch the games?

The only thing true in your statement is the comment about 'fans lack of knowing'.
33, 22, 22, 16, 32, 21, 14, 28, 15, 31, 29, 28, 32. Ever heard of pass attempts? It's a stat and they are listed in box scores. Some pretty high numbers of pass attempts in that grouping. Especially for 9 of the games being with a backup QB. Also, when you add in sacks, which is about 1-4 per game, you see a higher number of plays designed to be passes.

It's possible to throw the ball quite a bit and have low passing yardage and efficiency. It's called incompletions.

So if someone is going to make a smart ass remark that the forward pass is what the Iowa offense needs, I think it's plenty reasonable to point out that Iowa calls its fair share of pass plays.

People have perpetuated the narrative for years that Iowa is run, run, pass and the numbers show that to be nowhere near accurate

You are either a raging idiot or a gigantic dick because this isn't the first time you've done this to posters on the site.

I'm a generous person, so I'll spell this out one more time. Feel free to disagree all you want. But I don't appreciate words being put into my mouth, so if that is your intention don't bother responding.

Many fans are perpetuating a narrative that if X (Iowa had a better offense the past couple seasons), then Y (they would have had a better record in those seasons). To say if X, then Y is called a hypothetical statement.

I point out that the narrative is a hypothetical statement because by nature, hypothetical statements are only so important.

Why is this narrative being discussed on a daily basis rather than all the praiseworthy elements of what did actually happen? Iowa won 10 games. They won 7 games with a backup QB. I happen to believe that that situation was self- inflicted, as the staff should have never played Cade while he was hurt to start the season. But nonetheless, how the team responded and won 7 games with a backup QB was tremendous. How they responded to losing other key players was tremendous. How they responded to tough circumstances like the Minnesota officiating, and announcement of the release of Brian was tremendous. This team has major balls. They consistently made winning plays in key moments. Some of this shit was literally hair-raising. The togetherness and the fight of this team has been absolutely phenomenal. Time and time again these guys have had each other's backs. Some of what lead to the bad offense was also self-inflicted. But nonetheless, the ability to navigate the bad offense as a team in a way that produced wins was phenomenal. I could go on and on. In the end, this is one of Iowa's most winning teams of all time. And it's bullshit that people would rather find something to complain about than celebrate this team.

To help clarify, and I know I've stated this before in one of these threads, I obviously believe it to be most likely that a better offense would have produced more total wins. I just don't believe the hypothetical narrative to be the fact that many are imposing. I've illuminated a couple of ways in which the hypothetical might not play out as has been proposed. This has also been for the purpose of showing how the narrative isn't as important as fans make it out to be. Not only is this narrative a hypothetical, but the hypothetical might not even play out to be true in all cases. So why stay stuck on it?

I don't support the crappy offense. I just don't think it's as big of a deal as fans are making it. And I understand what has contributed to the downtick in offense the past couple years and understand that much of it is something that can and probably will be grown out of. Call it excuses or whatever you want. I call it a perspective that can keep one from feeling the need to complain about the offense on a daily basis.

The reason I ask what exactly you would do to improve the offense isn't a "deflection". And I don't "typically" deflect, so you need to accuse me of that again. I have no problem taking any of this head on.

The reason I ask what your fixes for the offense are is because many fans give answers to this that could compromise the defense. If someone has a complaint, but their only way to address the complaint is to potentially compromise the defense (ie: use a spread offense), then it isn't really a valid complaint because potentially compromising the defense is a terrible idea.

1. Less predictable play calling- Brian will be gone so it isn't something fans need to complain about anymore, right?
2. Blockers who can block- This is a great point and the most important point. It also gives me opportunity to point out how the negativity of the fans because of the offense has been over the top. The O-line has improved some this season. But last season it was certainly the main reason for Iowa's struggles on offense. It's very easy to understand, yet somehow fans struggle to understand that everything in football is won up-front. If you have a bad O-line, you can't really have much of an offense. And it was very easy to see why Iowa didn't have a good O-line. Significant unexpected attrition to highly rated upperclassmen in the O-line left Iowa having to play some underdeveloped lineman. Iowa losing its strength coach at the same time that younger players were losing developmental workouts due to Covid pronounced the underdevelopment of the lineman that were forced into action. This was all very clear to knowledgeable fans. It was a situation where Iowa fans should have expected a bumpy ride as it was clear that it would take some time for the line to develop. It was a situation where fans should have been ecstatic to have gotten to a bowl game.
3. Receivers that can catch- well usually receivers can catch so I have to think this year was an outlier. Trying to develop a rythm with the backup QB was part of it. That fact that Hill doesn't throw a very catchable ball was part of it. And I think extra pressure to get the offense going, and the pressure from being in so many tight situations was part of it. Also the lack of rythm from simply the offense being broken was part of it. I think we can expect a higher percentage of balls to be caught in the future. One question I do have is if doing what it takes to bring better recruits in at receiver would compromise the D. Kirk has said throwing the ball around makes it harder for the D. So having a more receiver happy offense for the purpose of attracting better players at the position is not an option. Also, we don't know how the staff allots their recruiting resources. If there is ever a choice that has to be made between pursuing a receiver and pursuing a defensive player, the resources need to be allotted to the defensive player.
4. A mobile Qb- I agree with this completely. I think it's an absolute must in this day and age. Hopefully KF has figured this out. Lainez, Resar, and the latest recruit (can't recall his name-Simmons?) would suggest that he has. Although Hill being on the roster raises doubt. Hopefully it was just a situation where KF knew Labas was smoking pot and felt he had to add depth at QB regardless of Hill's immobility.
6. A QB who can read through his progressions- obviously coaches everywhere are recruiting QB's who they feel can do these things. Obviously Iowa had some trouble in the passing game this year. Also, obviously a lot of that was to be expected with a backup QB trying to gain a rythm with backups to his best weapons and a below average O-line. Again, to win 10 games with that aggregate dynamic was damn impressive and should definitely be the main story rather than the bad offense.

My point all along has not been that Iowa's offense isn't terrible. But rather that it isn't as big a deal as fans are making it. Same with the narrative that a better offense would have produced more wins. Not that important overall. What is important is everything that should be being celebrated.

Also, we have the same fans saying that Iowa would have beat Michigan with a decent offense that claim Iowa has no shot vs a shell of a Tennessee team. Obviously the variable is a decent offense for Iowa. But that's a gigantic difference in expectation. Fans don't want to hear this, but when you have a defense and a punter as good as Iowa's, offense just isn't as important as they make it out to be.

Again, flip Iowa's situation around. Give them one of the best offenses in the country and one of the worst defenses in the country and have them go 10-3. There would be no deafening negativity in the fan base, period. For fans to give a winning team such a hard time because they aren't entertained is wrong. For one thing, it's just their opinion. I, for one, am thoroughly entertained by Iowa football

Do YOU watch the games?

Now who's the idiot? He didn't say yardage involved. Look at number of pass plays vs. Number of run plays.

33, 22, 22, 16, 32, 21, 14, 28, 15, 31, 29, 28, 32. Ever heard of pass attempts? It's a stat and they are listed in box scores. Some pretty high numbers of pass attempts in that grouping. Especially for 9 of the games being with a backup QB. Also, when you add in sacks, which is about 1-4 per game, you see a higher number of plays designed to be passes.

It's possible to throw the ball quite a bit and have low passing yardage and efficiency. It's called incompletions.

So if someone is going to make a smart ass remark that the forward pass is what the Iowa offense needs, I think it's plenty reasonable to point out that Iowa calls its fair share of pass plays.

People have perpetuated the narrative for years that Iowa is run, run, pass and the numbers show that to be nowhere near accurate
Based on your objection, I have amended my statement below, to include passing attempts .

Do YOU watch the games?

Iowa was tied for 111th out of 130 in passing attempts

This additional stat confirms Iowa does not pass 'quite a bit' when compared to the rest of FBS.
The other stats confirm we're not good at it.

Based on your objection, I have amended my statement below, to include passing attempts .

Do YOU watch the games?

Iowa was tied for 111th out of 130 in passing attempts

This additional stat confirms Iowa does not pass 'quite a bit' when compared to the rest of FBS.
The other stats confirm we're not good at it.
Iowa does pass quite a bit as compared to the notion that they don't forward pass at all. Iowa does pass quite a bit for a backup QB.

And more passing doesn't necessarily mean better football. Some of Iowa's best games were with lower passing attempts. 22 vs ISU. 22 vs W. Mich. 21 vs Purdue. 14 vs Wisconsin.

Meanwhile 32 vs PSU and 32 vs Michigan. Yeah I get it, teams throw more when behind. But it's also very telling that they don't throw as much when they are ahead of even in a one possession game.

The point remains that the "forward pass" comment was idiotic. As is the "run, run, pass" narrative that has existed in the Iowa fan base for years

2. Blockers who can block- This is a great point and the most important point. It also gives me opportunity to point out how the negativity of the fans because of the offense has been over the top. The O-line has improved some this season. But last season it was certainly the main reason for Iowa's struggles on offense. It's very easy to understand, yet somehow fans struggle to understand that everything in football is won up-front. If you have a bad O-line, you can't really have much of an offense. And it was very easy to see why Iowa didn't have a good O-line. Significant unexpected attrition to highly rated upperclassmen in the O-line left Iowa having to play some underdeveloped lineman. Iowa losing its strength coach at the same time that younger players were losing developmental workouts due to Covid pronounced the underdevelopment of the lineman that were forced into action. This was all very clear to knowledgeable fans. It was a situation where Iowa fans should have expected a bumpy ride as it was clear that it would take some time for the line to develop. It was a situation where fans should have been ecstatic to have gotten to a bowl game.

Despite your rambling, it's nice to see you have finally (mostly) come around and realize a better offense likely results in more wins. And thanks for agreeing with me on most of my points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT