ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk gives Update on Offensive Coordinator Search. Plans to have OC in place 2nd or 3rd wk of January. Leistikow: Chryst has Best Odds at getting Job

There's no reason anyone needs to interview in person these days. My guess is it will all be through zoom/teams or something like that and whoever it is won't be in IC until the day of the press conference.
You wouldn't want to see the potential city you're going to live in? Stadium & facilities?

I think this may be a little different.

Reactions: doughuddl2
You wouldn't want to see the potential city you're going to live in? Stadium & facilities?

I think this may be a little different.
You can virtually tour the stadium and facilities and any high end property in iowa city. If it is Joe Philbin (which it sounds like), he already has seen everything.

Wouldn’t you think if it was Budmayr it would have been announced already. I mean, getting an OC fairly quickly is important. Why wait until Feb. 1 ? Makes me think they have someone else in mind.
unless he's the fallback here...knowing our crack squad we will hire this fish rather than expanding our search beyond one or two people...watch!! Either lazy or more arrogance...either way, we're screwed!!

It means there was no interest from any qualified candidate to take the job.

Budmayr would be a fallback candidate. Don't see how that would be different than the last 3 years.
There’s a small amount of coaches that would take this job unless they have full control of the offense. Kirk won’t let that happen, so I’m expecting a boring hire.

There’s a small amount of coaches that would take this job unless they have full control of the offense. Kirk won’t let that happen, so I’m expecting a boring hire.
It's entirely possible. The last 25 years say you are unfortunately. All we have is hope though...

Doesn't meet the tequirements of at least five years as an OC.
Key word is "desired"

or five (5) years successful coaching experience in a highly competitive environment including at a major high school, college, professional level or combination;

Desired Qualifications:
Freaking high-school. 😲

And Hayden’s is a giant oak.
The longer this goes the uglier it gets. Beth or whomever other than Kirk that interviews potential candidates better dig in around autonomy around recruiting, scheming, and overall direction of offense as part of the expectation that needs to be defined by Kirk and related to candidates. As mentioned above, any candidate worth his salt will demand an opportunity to make necessary changes or they will NOT be coming to Iowa!

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
You can virtually tour the stadium and facilities and any high end property in iowa city. If it is Joe Philbin (which it sounds like), he already has seen everything.
It sounds like Philbin according to who? All I’ve heard recently is that Chryst is the most likely to be hired.

Where are you hearing this?
Someone, maybe kakert, changed their tune about philbin thinking chryst may have turned down the offer. Also, I heard somewhere that iowa is being cheap about this. Now idk if that means the college set a limit or thought they could low ball coaches… not sure anybody knows anything really, they may be making assumptions due to how long it’s taking. At this point I’d take any speculation with a grain of salt. IIRC the Greg Davis hire was a bit out of nowhere at the time so it might even be someone we’ve never talked about on these boards…

Someone, maybe kakert, changed their tune about philbin thinking chryst may have turned down the offer. Also, I heard somewhere that iowa is being cheap about this. Now idk if that means the college set a limit or thought they could low ball coaches… not sure anybody knows anything really, they may be making assumptions due to how long it’s taking. At this point I’d take any speculation with a grain of salt. IIRC the Greg Davis hire was a bit out of nowhere at the time so it might even be someone we’ve never talked about on these boards…
Looking forward to Chad and Scott’s podcast tomorrow where they’ll hopefully give a better sense of where things stand and what they’re hearing.

he should be fired just for bringing Deacon Hill in. There is no F way he can hire him. I refuse to believe that would be accepted by boosters. Maybe I am naive.
He doesn’t have to be accepted by boosters does he??? I don’t think KF is silly enough to believe that he is the best candidate. But if he is the next OC I’m sure as heck not gonna be buying any tickets.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
He doesn’t have to be accepted by boosters does he??? I don’t think KF is silly enough to believe that he is the best candidate. But if he is the next OC I’m sure as heck not gonna be buying any tickets.
he should clean house of anybody involved in the passing game.

The more I think about it the more I think he will hire him.

May not be the best candidate but may end up being the only candidate. Kirk’s conservative offense isn’t appealing to many current OC’s, if any.

Key word is "desired"

or five (5) years successful coaching experience in a highly competitive environment including at a major high school, college, professional level or combination;

Desired Qualifications:
Freaking high-school. 😲

Hayden Fry hired Barry Alvarez out of a high school. Kirk Ferentz hired Reese Morgan out of a high school.

I heard a rumor that it might be another couple of weeks before we here who are new OC is.
With Saban and Belichick now both on the way out, the coaching landscape is in a bit of an upheaval. I figure there could be many folks waiting to see how the dust settles before making commitments.

So does Tommy Rees leave Bama for Iowa with them hiring a new HC. Rees name came up to replace Fitz at NW and also at Indiana. 2-3 years at Iowa if all goes well he could have a job for 30 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT